Blogs

checking in here, too

Old 09-15-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

checking in here, too

Hi Everyone,
I've not been around SR for a while and thought I'd check in. I already posted a check in on the newcomers forum, so sorry if this, or at least my presence, is a bit redundant.

Fitness goals are going okay. I still can't afford the gym, but I sneak into the free workouts at my local CrossFit gym on Saturdays; otherwise, I'm just working out at home and running the trails near my house. So far, I've lost about 5 pounds in the last 6 weeks. A pound a week, give or take a few, is my goal so I'm right about on track.

Something I've never talked about here on SR: I used to be very active in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but my drinking really messed that up-too hungover to train, motivation gone, too heavy and slow. . . My last competition I was actually hungover. Well, I'm about to enter month 11 of sobriety and I feel the strong desire to get back on the mat. Sounds crazy to me. I'm 43. But I let drinking control me and I let alcohol let me believe that my life there, on the mat, training, competing, helping others, was over. Not true. I feel a twinge of regret. I want to train again, someday (money? ahh) but I need to be smart. . . Jiu Jitsu has changed a lot since my day, with the rise of MMA the "vibe" in most schools is very different from 13 years ago when I was involved. Blah, blah, the thoughts, assessments and questions we wrestle with as we recover.

Thanks and I hope everyone is getting a good sweat in!
Onward!
-Malcolm