Blogs

Healthy Eating Group Part 14

Old 09-14-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
LDT

Wow SJ.... So sorry to read more about the incident. It's obviously troubling you quite a bit...... I don't blame you. Having dogs myself, I can tell you I run into all kinds of people that haven't a clue as to how to approach them or deal with them on a walk. . I walk my and/or my daughters dog(s) nearly every day by the lake ( like this weekend, as I'm puppy sitting her dog ). I love to walk in this park, but I am UBER cautious when people approach....even though my dogs LOVE people and would Not hurt a fly. Believe it or not, that racist comment is a fairly common misconception, and one I've heard a lot. Maybe I could offer that those people were not accusing YOU of being a racist....more like he/she was just spouting off what they have incorrectly been told/taught. I'm not defending their comment, nor would I EVER defend anyone that was trying to taunt animals that were being walked. That's just insane. Aside from maybe losing your cool ( we all do, and will, from time to time), you did nothing wrong.

My nephew by marriage is a natural born shyte-stirrer. He will rile up dogs to where they will actually fight with each other. He's notorious for that. And that is why he will never be invited into my home. I have my boundaries. Trouble makers, whether they are related to me or not, are not welcomed in my home..... Side note: I think it's great that you feel comfortable enough with us to share, even if it's not entirely about food. That's what friends are for.

Coffee.... Love it. Drink lots of it. Not quitting. It use to affect me more before I got sober. These days I could drink a lovely cup right before bed and go right to sleep. Because of clean eating for so long now, I can listen to my body and know when it's time to turn it, or anything else, off. ....Croissant you do bring up a good point ....am I just digging my heels in with a sort of 'I am so OVER giving things up.' Attitude?... Truthfully there may a little of that in there. And right now I think I'm OK with that. ( she says as she sips her coconut milk latte )

Another little detour from food......I am coming up on 2 years sober in about 3 months. I was 17 months sober once before and then chose to go back out . Big fat-a$$ mistake. At this writing I've been sober longer than I've ever been and I'm starting to notice a recent shift in my thinking. I am starting to truly identify as a non-drinker now. I can even watch TV commercials with everyone toasting with champagne and not cringe. I can be around "normies" without craving . There are actual long parts of each day that I don't think about alcohol. Not sure there has ever been an entire day without thinking about it, but the periods of where I forget about it are longer. I'm encouraged by this peace and by this progress.

Now food.....Day 12 Whole 30

After I walk dogs in the park I am going to eat a very non-traditional breakfast of homemade Paleo chicken soup. We are all the way down to 66 degrees so we're practically freezing already down south.

Lunch/dinner is a crock pot roast cooked in my tomato sauce (which is always on hand in the freezer).

No Paleo pizza tonight ( sigh ). That is the main thing our adult son ( who is living with us temporarily ) hates about our Whole30...... He loves our Sunday pizza nights and has become quite the Paleo pizza maker...... Oh well.....a couple more weeks!

Long ramble this morning Heaters..... This is what happens with a cup of coffee and a nice fire going.

Love you guys.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-14-2014), gleefan (09-14-2014), Soberpotamus (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Thanks LDT

After sleeping on it, I feel much better today. Thanks for listening and understanding. I just knew you all wouldn't be judgmental.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-14-2014), gleefan (09-14-2014), LDT (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Hola, heaters!!

I dropped off for a while cause work was crazayzay. But my thoughts were with you and I ate pretty healthy save the occasional ice cream indulgence, which I had planned on. Then I went to England with my partner, and ate off the charts unhealthy. That was planned-ish. and most of you were on whole30s, so I was not going to post about cheese and onion pie and coffee walnut cake. Oh, we got engaged there too.

Well, the sugar dragon and I have to part ways for a while, so I'm starting another whole30 tomorrow. I did the other one about six months ago, so it seems like a good time.

How is everyone?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-14-2014), gleefan (09-14-2014), LDT (09-14-2014), Soberpotamus (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Congrats Wehav!

You should have posted! Ghostly posts about pizza every other day, hehe...we could handle it!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Croissant For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-14-2014), gleefan (09-14-2014), LDT (09-14-2014), Soberpotamus (09-14-2014), wehav2day (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
LDT

Yeah wehav, croissant is right........ Ghostly posts about pizza and Mexican food all the time . Actually your walnut cake tempts me more than pizza.....and I've been fairly clear about how Mexican food is not exactly my "favorite" food.

Congrats on your engagement, my friend! You know ..... I had a "feeling". . We're glad you're back !

So I just made a pot of compliant stew for lunch... it was so-so. Nothing to cheer about.

As of today, H and I have booked a trip to North Carolina for a little fall, leaf peeping sojourn for our anniversary. I am SOOOO excited. That part of the country is truly my heart home. If I could ever convince myself that I could stand the winters, I would move there. But alas, I think I have swamp water running through my veins. We will be off our Whole30s by then and plan on indulging in some fine anniversary food. Someone will have to teach me how to post pics here so that I can share the fall foliage with you guys.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-14-2014), gleefan (09-14-2014), Soberpotamus (09-14-2014), wehav2day (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Today's menu: breakfast: sweet potato hash. We love it on weekends even if not eating "paleo"
Lunch: frozen yoghurt. I know... It's my last one for a while.
Dinner: will be chicken Marsala. I'm teaching my partner how to make it, because I haven't cooked with wine since getting sober and she misses this dish. I'll teach her, then she can have it whenever she likes. Booze in food doesn't trigger me at all. Being the one doing the cooking with booze does. Most work nights in my old life, I would come home, turn on npr, pour a glass of wine and cook us dinner. It was relaxing and nice. Until the most important part was the wine...

The funny thing is, I was having my froyo after shopping and realized I completely forgot to get the Marsala! Not only is the obsession lifted, but I damn near forgot a key ingredient in dinner. I had to double back. 19 months ago, there's no way on earth I would have forgotten to buy the wine!

Thanks for the welcome back! And you must have esp ldt...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
Croissant (09-14-2014), Ghostly (09-14-2014), gleefan (09-14-2014), LDT (09-14-2014), Soberpotamus (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Congrats wehav!

I'm pulling together the ingredients to cook a few healthy meals tomorrow. I'm making Croissant's bacon tomato sauce, a spaghetti squash to serve it over, chicken cauliflower soup (you'll never miss the noodles), and roasted asparagus. I'm also roasting a pork tenderloin and grilling a couple of steaks.

Have a great day all!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gleefan For This Useful Post:
Croissant (09-14-2014), Ghostly (09-14-2014), LDT (09-14-2014), Soberpotamus (09-14-2014), wehav2day (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
LDT

Gleefan.... That all sound fab! Think I'll join you on Croi's bacon tomato sauce . Do you have a recipe for the chicken cauliflower soup?

wehav.... Forgetting the wine for chicken Marsala is significant ....good for you.... It's like me forgetting we had a liquor cabinet.

I'm making chicken slathered in mustard and coconut aminos.... Just baking it for a light dinner....We are really hungry and we think can't stand to look another cashew in the eye.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Croissant (09-14-2014), Ghostly (09-14-2014), gleefan (09-14-2014), Soberpotamus (09-14-2014), wehav2day (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Wehav!

Bizarre thing with the dog Jennie. Glad you are feeling better. People **** me off.

Trip sounds great LDT.

I had an absolutely exhausting day. Didn't sleep well cuz of the crap I ate yesterday. Then I spent most of the day, chopping wood, moving wood, chopping wood, moving wood, working on something to keep the wood in, more moving wood. Took a break to watch some of the Packer game, then continued well into dark.

This is the first year we are hoping to heat partially with wood, and since it was a fairly recent decision I'm kinda unprepared. I had plenty of wood chopped and stacked, but not out of the elements.

I fasted for about 16 hours. Had scrambled eggs and bacon, then the rest of the salmon and sweet potato mash. Also a bunch of almonds and dates.

P.S. Pizza pizza pizza.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
gleefan (09-15-2014), LDT (09-14-2014), Soberpotamus (09-14-2014), wehav2day (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

What's everyone's thoughts on a "normal" portion of dates per day? (Ghostly, feel free to share the "abnormal" portion, lol!).

I bought some prunes and dates for fibre really on the weekend. But I know I could eat either til the cows come home.

I really need the prunes to keep me "regular", sorry, TMI...but all this protein for a near vego needs some help along. I don't want to take laxatives too often, but I needed to from time to time on Whole 30, even sweet potato didn't help. So prunes are my next best natural alternative.

Sorry, this really has been a big issue for me, and after food issues many many years ago, laxatives can never be my go to all the time.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Croissant For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-14-2014), gleefan (09-15-2014), LDT (09-14-2014), Soberpotamus (09-15-2014), wehav2day (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I ate many many many dates today, but they were also my main source of carbs today.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
gleefan (09-15-2014), LDT (09-14-2014), Soberpotamus (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 03:18 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  
LDT

I have no clue what is considered a normal date consumption. I'm guessing it depends on your activity level really. I know they're caloric, but I'm not really considering calories these days.

Croi...I know laxatives are sometimes needed ( my sister eats them like candy ), but I find they tear up my stomach. It's good you are trying to deal with your situation organically.

See what I just did there? I said " organically "...... We wannabe yoga teachers talk like that a lot.

Ghostly, you wood chopping champ...... How in the world are you going to chop enough wood for a Wisconsin winter??? I think it's great you are going to try to make that a major heating source, but don't freeze to death. I'll send you some gumbo, ok?

Day 13 for moi......

Tired of nuts..... Tired of raisins.....Tired of sweet potato hash....and dare I say it....after all the green stuff I've been eating, and especially after salad bar Saturday, I am 'almost' tired of salad. So I need to shake things up a little. After I post this I will be checking out Nom Nom Paleo for some different ideas. The one thing I do know that I will make today is bacon wrapped pork chops (oink oink, wehav )..... And yes I have compliant bacon.

Happy Monday Heaters!
Croissant (09-15-2014), gleefan (09-15-2014), Soberpotamus (09-15-2014), wehav2day (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 03:35 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Thanks LDT....I kinda feel the same way about calories now, too.

And seriously, if I eat enough dates, won't they just go in and, ummm, out anyway? Lol....sorry....I couldn't resist!

Hey...how bout tuna patties if you have gotten tired of other things? Tuna patties and Dijon used to give me that zing for something different.

I've made some grassfed beef bolognaise this week. All compliant. Olives for some zing too. Keep forgetting to put my serve of fat on, but know it's essential to have it. I think that is another reason I was feeling a bit snacky a few days back.

Back to a spoonful of coconut oil each meal.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Croissant For This Useful Post:
gleefan (09-15-2014), LDT (09-15-2014), Soberpotamus (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  
LDT

Absolutely I haven't eaten enough fat.... Thanks for that reminder Croi. Maybe that's why I was so hungry yesterday.

Tuna patties...... I like them and have made them, but I'm not feeling tuna today....however....I have some crabmeat just begging to be cooked, so that might be the ticket for lunch. Crab patties, maybe?
Croissant (09-15-2014), gleefan (09-15-2014), Soberpotamus (09-15-2014), wehav2day (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Hi Heaters, I want to share a free Kindle book with y'all. It's a Paleo recipe collection of around 300 recipes. Five star reviews. It's free today. I haven't read it yet, but looks like one worth checking out since it's no cost. You can always delete it later.

Paleo 300: The Definitive Everyday Paleo Recipe Archive - Kindle edition by Paleo Lifestyle. Health, Fitness & Dieting Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
gleefan (09-15-2014), LDT (09-15-2014), wehav2day (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Thanks SJ!

Everyone's commitment to eating well is inspiring. One of my hurdles to eating well has been that hubby doesn't. But you know what, hubby drinks alcoholically, and I managed to quit. Hubby doesn't work out, but I do. If I want to eat well, I just need to commit to it like I've done to other aspects of my lifestyle!! . That's just where my head is this afternoon. Have a good day, all!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gleefan For This Useful Post:
Croissant (09-15-2014), LDT (09-15-2014), Soberpotamus (09-15-2014), wehav2day (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Glee, that must be hard at times I'm sure. You are doing amazingly well considering.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
Croissant (09-15-2014), gleefan (09-15-2014), LDT (09-15-2014), wehav2day (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Well, I was offered another job today. Only thing is, it's full time and seasonal, ending December 31st. So I have a part-time and a full-time possibility here. Both start the last week in September, so I have a few days to think this over.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
Croissant (09-15-2014), gleefan (09-15-2014), LDT (09-15-2014), wehav2day (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Ldt, how were your crabby patties? I have a can of fancy crabmeat in the fridge, might do the party thing next week...

Sj, congrats on the job offers!!

Croissant, I know nothing of dates and prunes... If I do choke down fruit, it's in a green smoothie. I love veggies, but fruit- not so much.

Welllll, my whole30 almost stopped before it began. Seriously considered starting tomorrow instead. I found out last night I was to have a lunch date with a colleague from Louisiana. I thought I'd wolf down my lunch salad, greet her, then take her out and not eat myself. Then I noticed how ridiculous that would be, and really bad manners to boot. Soooo I took her I the local (awesome) BBQ joint. I almost treated myself, I only get there twice a year or so. But, I thought if I don't start now when would I actually start? Do I really want to be that bad at follow through?

So I got the turkey, no bun no sauce. It was still delicious. I had a brain fart and ate the tablespoon of coleslaw garnish. Oops but I'm still calling this a whole30 day. Sorry for not being sorry . I'm really glad I didn't put this off. That's the kind of thing I would do with drinking. I'll quit maņana....

So today's menu:
Breakfast: two egg fritata with shrooms, bell peppers, collards. Green smoothie with spinach, apple, orange, almonds. I know, huge breakfast. But I wanted to start off with some carbs.
Lunch: that BBQ turkey
Snack: roasted broccoli
Dinner: orange chicken on cauliflower rice. Yum!

Have a great night, heaters!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
Croissant (09-16-2014), gleefan (09-16-2014), LDT (09-16-2014), Soberpotamus (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
LDT

Darn SJ..... I missed the free Paleo book. Yesterday was just insanely busy...computer crashes, lots of students, ..... I didn't spend as much time on this thread as. I should have.

Wehav........the crab cakes were outstanding. Really worth trying. We used fresh lump crabmeat , but I'm sure canned would be good, too. We also used brown spicey mustard instead of Dijon, and almond flour instead of coconut ( because H doesn't like coconut flour).

For the recipe go to: I Breathe... I'm Hungry... - Delicious Low Carb & Gluten Free. And search for 'Crab Cakes with roasted red pepper sauce' ...... The sauce was excellent, except next time we will add a little "heat" to it....just because " if it don't hurt it ain't no good."

Day 14...... H said just this morning " I don't know why I'm sleeping so well"... I said "I do"..... Since he's been doing W30 again, his snoring has diminished....don't ask me why, but when he eats Paleo his snoring-heard-round-the-world greatly diminishes. Maybe it's a weight thing. Whatever it is, I'll take it.

I need to hit Nom Nom today because I'm out of ideas for food today. I'm thinking lettuce wraps of some sort. Will let y'all know tonight how the day played out.,

Wehav.... Great job on sticking to your guns while taking your friend out to eat....You KNOW what a bad influence people from Louisiana can be.
Croissant (09-16-2014), gleefan (09-16-2014), Soberpotamus (09-16-2014), wehav2day (09-16-2014)