Blogs

Personal Trainer

Old 08-14-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Personal Trainer

I enrolled in the ACE personal trainer certification program a month ago. I'm not sure I'll do anything with it, but the things I'm learning surprisingly parallel recovery and it's really helping. For me, I just want to complete the program.

I'm not completely dry, but this program is helping me learn how to help others better their lifestyles, and in doing so helping me better my own.

I'm mainly saying this on here because I take the final exam at the end of December and I want to be held accountable for it: no booze and no smoking well before 12/2014.

Aside from that and vaguely related, working out has been an amazing crutch. I hope to get to the point that drinking at the end of the day is more of a consequence than anything, and how I feel after working out the true reward.

Is anyone else working out to cope? I really like it.
The Following User Says Thank You to philly76 For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Many people here are working out as part of their recovery. IMHO, it can be dangerous to work out to cope though. I say this because if sobriety is dependant on something like working out, what happens if you miss some work outs? Get injured and miss many work outs? Things like that.

That said, it sounds like you have some good things going on. Good luck with the exam!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think that it should certainly not become another crutch as the previous poster mentioned, but I really do like the fact that people are actively using their energy for the positive and that they are helping themselves become healthy. I have personally found that exercise can help keep my anxiety and overall need to use down.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KathleenConroy View Post
I think that it should certainly not become another crutch as the previous poster mentioned, but I really do like the fact that people are actively using their energy for the positive and that they are helping themselves become healthy. I have personally found that exercise can help keep my anxiety and overall need to use down.
That's kind of how I see it. I honestly don't see it as a crutch, I just really enjoy exercise and it keeps me from drinking. It helps my anxiety and depression that comes from drinking and it's something everyone - IMO - should be doing anyway.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
Many people here are working out as part of their recovery. IMHO, it can be dangerous to work out to cope though. I say this because if sobriety is dependant on something like working out, what happens if you miss some work outs? Get injured and miss many work outs? Things like that.

That said, it sounds like you have some good things going on. Good luck with the exam!
I'm trying not to use exercise as a crutch and I haven't missed any workouts to booze. But I see where you're coming from. Exercise was always a huge part of my life before alcohol became a problem and I'm just trying to get that back.