Blogs

Whole 30 August Challenge

Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

DAY 7

We've made it one entire week!!!

Thanks Lilac, I like the way you think : )

Croisant, thanks for sharing too, seems like sprouting and possibly fermenting legumes is the way to go once we start to reintroduce things back into our diet, if we introduce them at all. I guess, for now, I'll forgo the sweet peas and maybe hunt down the snow and snap version : )

Late night again, didn't fall asleep till after 1am and not up till 8:30am
Running late on breakfast and need to figure something out, I will say that this black coffee isn't so bad after 7 days!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I don't mind black coffee, but if you like you can pop some coconut milk in as a treat.

I popped some in a cup of tea today, with a little mixed spice. Nice.

Personally, I won't be doing this every day. But I was obsessing about a snack, so this was my compromise - a comforting drink.

Yeah, I didn't really read what I posted on the peas, just looked it up and screenshotted it for you UD. I don't really eat them much anyway.

Night night all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Croissant For This Useful Post:
ultradad (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

no-no, my nuts were an in between thing just to hold me over until next meal.
breakfast today, leftover spinach with a little onion, a piece of jalpeno and broccoli finished with 2 eggs, a 4 oz portion of sirloin and 8 oz pom juice. pure pasteurized pom with no additives - label says to add sugar to sweeten it - IT'S ALREADY SWEET for me.
went shopping this AM after gym, picked up fresh scallops for dinner - gonna wrap in bacon, it took six different packs of bacon till I found one that qualified. Almost picked up a coconut - too much work. Almond butter was out of my price league - I haven't used peanut butter in YEARS. Picked up some balsamic vinegar - and I logged on to find a qualifying hot sauce in the store - Frank's Original is what they had. I never had to look at internet while food shopping before. Have done so a couple times already.

Have a piece of steelhead ready to poach for lunch with kale and more veggies.
Last night I ate my first ever baked sweet potato - too sweet for me but I got it down.
The Following User Says Thank You to LBrain For This Useful Post:
ultradad (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

as for peas - the qualifier is that they are young still in the pod and eat it all. Once removed from pod they fall into the legumes category is what I understand. That's why string beans/green beans were admitted. Eat them before those big beans grow inside the pod.
ultradad (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Sugar snaps and snow peas yes, are allowed.
ultradad (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I really had to force down breakfast this morning, just wasn't hungry and I even waited 2.5 hours before eating (know I'm not supposed to wait that long). Not sure what that's all about, just wasn't hungry at all.

Thanks for all the info on the peas.

Brain, those bacon wrapped scallops sound awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to ultradad For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

just having my late lunch, just a nice piece of steelhead and cut up yellow and red tomatoes, half fuji apple and 1 avocado mixed in. and some broccoli. sun tea with lemon.

last night I had an incredible craving for a cookie or animal cracker - I don't normally eat this. Ate a handful of almonds and got over it. Picked up another lb of raw cashews today. I felt like quitting last nite. But I stuck it out.
ultradad (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

now my day 7 is complete. Since UD has shared a few pics I thought I would share my grilled scallops on kale with garlic, string beans, heirloom tomato with some mango.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
8.7dinner.jpg (72.4 KB, 30 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LBrain For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-08-2014), ultradad (08-07-2014), Youngaddictionwarrior (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

That looks so good Brain! Way to hang tough last night also!

Day 7 in the books and had a great day! Did a little bit of strength training this afternoon, but nothing to strenuous so I'm counting it as a rest day. My meals were eggs and potatoes with bamboom sauce. Lunch was roasted chicken breast with roasted cauliflower, kale, olives, crushed tomatoes. Dinner was grilled skirt steak with sliced tomatoes and sugar, snap peas. Had a few nuts and pork skins for snack (not pictured)

photo (26).jpg

I took a progress picture today and I gotta say i'm blown away at the difference I see in only 7 days! I'm really looking forward to the next 7 to see how much more progress I can make. I did have one issue today, well...guess it wasn't too bad of an issue, but I was reading and told my son that pork skins were compatible as long as there was no msg. So, he begged me to get some and sure enough I saw some at the store today and grabbed them. Even though they're compatible, didn't feel right eating the few I had. Maybe it's just a mental thing, who knows : )

Hope all is well!!!
LBrain (08-07-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Those tomatoes look great, LBrain. Thanks for posting. Think the pics are good because it gives us ideas/inspiration for meals. Also, I'm glad you stuck out your "bump" of wanting to quit. Woohoo!

UD....who knows if your pork skin is compatible.....all I know is, now I'm craving frigging pork skins, lol.

Well, funny day. All good, still loving it. I had unexpected appointments today, and I thought I had more protein stocks, bugger! So eggs for breakfast, scrambled. Then I got caught short at lunch, so quickly boiled some eggs, had them semi soft and mashed with coconut oil. So comforting!

Got caught again, late dinner....but I'm starving, so will have to eat a bit too close to bedtime. I just won't eat too much!

Yeah UD...I feel my body is changing now, like it's turning a corner.
ultradad (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

You crack me up Croissant : ) Yea, I won't be buying those again! After I posted last night I was starving so I grabbed a roasted chicken breast and handful of pork skins and was going to just eat a bit, ended up with two more handfuls and the entire chicken breast eaten! At least I didn't fall asleep till around midnight, but still...

Anyway, still feeling great!

Here's a hilarious write-up on the Whole 30 timeline!

Lilac, Where you at lady?

Have a great day and night everyone!
Croissant (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Here's a Facebook page dedicated to Whole 30 recipes!
Croissant (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Thanks for the Link, UD...helped.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

thanks for the link UD, it sounds about right. I noticed I was getting light headed the past several days. Mostly when bending and going upright.
I have to prepare for the weekend. Leaving after breakfast for Jersey Shore tomorrow. I'll have to pack a beach lunch for Sunday, and take along my own food to eat. I'm going to boil some eggs to have at the ready. Could end up being a burger weekend. Uncle is 90 so they don't eat like most people. Aunt always wants to make spaghetti. We'll probably eat at the Crab House in Cape May Sunday night. I'm sure I can glean appropriate food from the menu. Or just hit the raw bar and salads.

I'm glad I read that whole30 what to expect. My pants ARE tighter.
Croissant (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Cauliflower Steaks with Parsley and Pistachio Gremolata

Cauliflower Steaks:
1 head of cauliflower
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup olive oil
1 lemon
3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon fine-grain sea salt

Parsley and Pistachio Gremolata:
1 1/2 cup Italian parsley leaves
6-7 toasted pistachios
3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 lemon
Salt

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Slice the cauliflower head into 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch slices. Heads up: depending on how big the cauliflower head is you will probably end up with 3-4 "steaks." You can keep or discard the scraps, if you like. I ended up keeping them and putting them in a salad later on that day.

2. To a 13-inch x 10-inch casserole dish, mix together the chicken broth, olive oil, juice from the lemon, garlic cloves, cumin, red pepper and sea salt. Gently transfer the cauliflower steaks to the casserole dish and place in the oven. Roast the cauliflower for 30-35 minutes.

3. While the cauliflower is roasting, let's make the gremolata. Add all of the ingredients to a food processor (minus the lemon and salt) and pulse until mixture is coarse. (Alternatively, using a knife, you can mince all of the ingredients separately.) Squeeze in the juice from the lemon; mix and salt to taste. Set aside.

4. Remove from the cauliflower from the oven and allow to cool slightly for 5-10 minutes. The cauliflower will be fragile so be gentle when handling. Transfer the cauliflower steaks to a bed of paper towels to and dry. Meanwhile, heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil to the hot pan and gently add the steaks, searing them for 1-2 minutes on each side and until golden brown. Drain the steaks on a bed of clean paper towels. Serve immediately with a few teaspoons of gremolata on each.

Yields 3-4 cauliflower steaks

I just saw this recipe while looking for ideas. It looks interesting. Was getting ready to rice a head of cf and had some with my lunch - just florets. Wife and I voted to just keep it raw and eat it like that with everything. Very mild, nature's promise 'brand'.
ultradad (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

As mentioned, I just saw this, but I'm gonna give it a try. Photo stolen from internet.
Attached Images
cauliflowersteak.jpg (39.6 KB, 21 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LBrain For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-08-2014), ultradad (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Many times when I'm cooking my wife asks what I'm making. Sometimes I say we'll find out. And she replies with, oh, you're experimenting again. I rarely if ever use recipes.
I had three carrots - what to do. I coined them and parboiled. Then I took about a third cup of very ripe cantaloupe and cut it fine. Sauteed in olive oil with salt/pepper and mashed it into a smooth paste and stirred in the carrots till 'done'. Whoooo! I gotta patent this one. Candied carrots a la Brain.
Still on track.
ultradad (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Candied carrots a la Brain! LOL, I gotta try that, sounds really yummy actually : )

Wow, had my first real craving hit me tonight. We were driving back from the AA meeting and I hadn't eaten dinner yet (storming, kids open house at school, finished workout) and had planned on skipping the meeting, but kids really wanted to go so I put dinner on hold and we just left. So yeah, on the way home we pass a Krispy Kreme doughnut shop, now i don't really even like doughnuts, but I swear my mouth was almost watering thinking about a sweet, warm doughnut! Anyway, we of course didn't stop, but drove on by and I had my shrimp and cabbage with liver that was waiting on me. Still, never wanted a doughnut so bad in my life...LOL

So today I had 2 eggs, skirt steak, avocado and an apple. Lunch was a turkey burger topped with onions, tomato, garlic dill pickle and left over veggies. Dinner was shrimp cooked in cabbage and tomatoes, onions, peppers and garlic and spicy liver topped with guacamole.

photo (26).jpg

Our neighbors have started joining in with us on some of our workouts and today's was brutal! I'm officially exhausted! Need to really focus on some biking and running this weekend, but it looks like we may getting quite a bit of rain! Well, till tomorrow
Croissant (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Breakfast. Leftover tuna patties, with coconut oil and some nut butter and lettuce.
Attached Images
image.jpg (88.6 KB, 17 views)
ultradad (08-09-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Unknown300864

you guys and ur photos are making me so hungry lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Youngaddictionwarrior For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-08-2014), ultradad (08-09-2014)