Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group Part 13

Old 08-06-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Don't take away my cordless drills!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-06-2014), LDT (08-06-2014), MidnightBlue (08-06-2014), Soberpotamus (08-06-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Heaters)

I am about to commit a deadly sin - I am dying for a regular pizza.

I am just off to buy it...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-07-2014), LDT (08-07-2014), Soberpotamus (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
LDT

Enjoy MB!

My experiment with no onions and flat water sort of worked yesterday..... I was very careful with everything I ate. I did have Sushi for lunch, but I sort of ate the inside of *most* of the roll rather than the rice. I'm going to continue on today...no carbonation of any kind. No onions. No white potatoes ( yes I love them ). We're traveling this weekend, so that always means a divergence from my regular healthy eating.....(sigh )

Believe it or not, I have nothing in the fridge for a green smoothie. I've wiped out all my green stuff. Need to make a grocery run.

Ghostly...you can keep your power tools.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-07-2014), MidnightBlue (08-07-2014), Soberpotamus (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

MB, that sounds delicious. My husband and I sometimes will get this speciality pizza from a Greek shop by the university here. It has mozzarella, blue cheese crumbles, tomatoes and olives. And wow is it the best I've ever had!! I thought it would be too plain when I first ordered, but it is amazing. We have been getting that one ever since. It's thin crust too.

Ghostly... ok, ok we'll let you keep them Just let us use the dishwasher in peace. Lol.

My dog is nutso... it's finally gotten comfy and it is going BERSERK! Wow. I have a little rebel on my hands. It's pretty funny that fate would have me paired with a dog that mirrors one of my own character traits (and flaws)... very, very persistent, determined... ok, let's just say one track minded and stubborn This is going to be interesting.

Coffee and boiled egg for breakfast. For dinner, I've just being throwing chicken or beef into the dutch oven along with root veggies like carrots, onions, rutabagas, or turnips... and green salads sometimes with cucumbers, tomatoes and olives on the side, paleo chocolate for dessert. Keepin' it simple.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-07-2014), MidnightBlue (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Sushi sounds great, LDT. Glad the no onions and fizzy water are helping.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
MidnightBlue (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Jennie, your comment about Lucy's temperament made me chuckle.

LDT...funny after yours and Jennies posts last night, I noticed I'm not much interested in drinking my sparkling mineral water. When I did pour a glass today, one was enough, and I really didn't enjoy the taste.

Usually, I'd drink nearly a whole one per day. I think I've had this one since the Weekend.

Midnight Blue...ugggh, I'm just living vicariously through you! No pizza for me til I get through this. We have an awesome place down at The Rocks that does the most amazing thin crust. Yum. This time next month I'll maybe have one as a treat! Lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Croissant For This Useful Post:
Soberpotamus (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Croissant and LDT, the fizzy water was like a nice bubbly substitute alc drink for me I think. Kind of like coffee. But second to coffee, lol. I used to do the Diet Coke thing for a few years... so once I removed the Diet Coke, and then the wine... what the heck could I drink?? I picked the fizzy waters and coffee. No sugars, no artificial junk. I usually will drink 1-2 tall glasses per day of the carbonated water when we have it on hand. Some weekends I'll go through two big bottles of it.

It's kind of sad that I'd slam back a glass of fizzy water... lol. It is what it is I guess.
Croissant (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Yes, absolutely. Sparkling mineral water was my new Sav Blanc.

With no hangover and no humiliation at the recycling bin!

I seriously get a small thrill taking my plastic bottles to the chute!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Can I join you all? Again? Lol I posted here and then probably fell off the wagon and hadn't been back since. But I've been running and zumbaing for a few months. Been low carb for years and then went vegetarian in February.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamerua For This Useful Post:
LDT (08-07-2014), Soberpotamus (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Of course, Tamerua Welcome back!
Tamerua (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
LDT

Welcome Back Tamerua! Jump on in.

I just drank a diet coke...so much for no carbonation But that's the first fizzy thing in 2 days so I'm still OK. Feeling better...I read where sparkling water is still water and we still get the benefits of regular flat water from it. The one thing that is not so great is that it can be a big contributor to gas and bloating.

I will make a green smoothie a little later for a snack, and then for dinner tonight I am making either crawfish etoufee on spaghetti squash, or stuffed bell peppers. Can't decide which just yet.

No time for breakfast this morning, so I just ate a big cup of homemade vegetable/beef soup for lunch. Hit the spot!
The Following User Says Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Hi Tamerua.

LDT, what's your go to green smoothie mixture?

Étouffée...yum.
LDT (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

By Ghostly
So...I was cutting sweet potatoes today. Decided to cut the tip of my thumb off! Just got back from the Dr. Ughhhhhh! Oh well...won't slow me down. Do it to it y'all.
I wrote this on 10-29-10, in the Kicking Asphalt Thread. Wow, almost four years ago. I actually had not cut it off, it was attached enough to be sewn back on.

Well, don't call me a quitter. Tonight I was slicing sweet potatoes, using our new slicer. I decided to finish the job! The same thumb, sliced the tip right off! No re-attaching it this time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-07-2014), Soberpotamus (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Oh my god!! Wow, Ghostly... my jaw just dropped to the floor reading this. Holy cow. I am so sorry. I seriously hope you didn't slice off very much!!! Going to the doc?
Ghostly (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Thanks Jennie. Yes, it wouldn't stop bleeding so I went to the doc. Nothing really can be done. Just bandaged up. Its not too much, just the tip. Its so ridiculous that its he same thumb, cutting the same thing.

Welcome back Tamerua!

LDT - When was the last Diet Coke before this one? Its been a while right?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-07-2014), LDT (08-07-2014), Soberpotamus (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Thanks for the welcome!

Ghostly! Egads! I had a thumb and turnip incident that needed 4 stitches about 3 years ago. Hope you heal quickly.

LDT, is it just onions and carbonation you have to avoid? Sugar alcohols mess my gut up severely.

Hiya Jenni and croissant!

Just finished a 2 mile jog and had a weigh in today, down 2 lbs from when I started with my endocrinologist and that makes 12 in 6 weeks. Slow but better down than up. Off to eat dinner, everyone have a good night!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tamerua For This Useful Post:
Soberpotamus (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
LDT

Good Lord Ghostly ... You ok??? I can relate ... I took off the end of an index finger water skiing .... Completely off ... Not a great thing for a pianist . What's your prognosis?

My last diet coke before today was ... Hmmm.... Maybe when we were on the boat ? I use to drink one a day... More at parties since I couldn't drink
Obviously .... Then I went a really long time without touching one.... Now maybe one a week at the most .

Tam .... Sugar is mortal enemy .

Croissant .... My go- to smoothie if I have all ingredients are fresh spinach it kale ( or a combination of the 2), cucumber, frozen cantaloupe or frozen watermelon, and a half avocado if I'm lucky .. If I want it Spicey I'll throw in a little fresh ginger . I'll
Pour in water and ice and blend it all up .

I made a beet smoothie once .... Only once .... Never again . I won't bore you all with the details . BLEHHH!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-07-2014), Soberpotamus (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Unknown300864

[QUOTE=MidnightBlue;4824509]
Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post

What is it with men and dishwashers??

Absolutely, SJ.

I wonder what if we were so frantically against them using, say, electric screwdriver, and insisting on doing all repair works manually without any appliances involved.
Hahahahahahaha my partner won't fix my broken dishwasher cause the dishes come out cleaner and the bastard knows I can't leave dirty dishes in my sink lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Youngaddictionwarrior For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-07-2014), Soberpotamus (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Thanks LDT. Yes, I use kale in a base for some smoothies. Never thought to try avocado...
Soberpotamus (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

^ I don't drink smoothies Croissant, but I have considered it (reluctantly as people sing their praises here). I do hear good things about ones with avocado, though personally, doesn't seem it would be good in one. Who knows, maybe some day I'll give it a shot.

Well you ladies won't be thrilled with me, but we have our own dishwasher discussions going on in our house. We have one of those cheap ones. Its portable and you have to hook it up to use it. Well its missing a piece, just a little five sent piece that keeps the washer in at the end that hooks to sink. My wife kept dropping this little ring in the sink, then it would go in the garbage disposal. Now its gone.

Well, they won't sell that five cent piece (its very unique and is not available in stores), wonderful Maytag wants me to get an entire replacement of the part that attaches to the sink for seventy dollars! F that.

So, it will still work without it, but not sure how many more washings its got left. So, I try to do a lot by hand, whereas my wife throws everything in. So, were running it like almost every day or every other day! That's too much.

I saw this cool thing on Facebook about how to cut down on washing dishes. Each person has one cup, one bowl, one plate, one spoon, one fork...so on. You wash it as you need it. I am ALL about that! We have enough dishes for us to supply a castle during medieval times!

Ha ha, did I turn all the ladies against me?

Here is my tipless thumb.

I know this is not a major injury and I'm not trying to be whiney. It bled like an SOB, and now I have this ridiculous wrap on it to keep pressure on it. Supposed to be on for three days but it already unraveled. Sucks too cuz I have to clear an area for a possible garage. Need to cut down some trees and get out stumps, the thumb will make that difficult.

Anyway...hope you all are doing well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
LDT (08-08-2014), Soberpotamus (08-08-2014)