Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group Part 13

Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
LDT

Hey SJ....the sweetest, most loyal, most tender hearted, docile dog we ever had would slightly growl at us if she thought we were going to take away her bone, or some meat we had fed her. Don't fret about that . It's instinct. Your puppy won't do that when she is just eating regular dry dog food. ... Or even when she's a little older. It's completely normal (IMHO )

Croissant....love your food pics. Feel free to post away. We made coconut oil chocolate with walnuts the other night..... Very good!..... Pink cloud on W30! Yay! You're almost at Tiger Blood status ( that's wehav's term for it, by the way ).

I think I'm going to just eat soup for most of the day to see how my body responds. Think I'll make a vegetable soup and throw in some meatballs. I need to figure out what I have reintroduced since W30 that is making me feel this way .

Happy Tuesday all Heaters!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-05-2014), SnoozyQ (08-05-2014), Soberpotamus (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I will SO make that my reward, Jennie. Good idea.

Is all good now for Lucy, then? No repercussions later from her virus?

I'm so glad she's home now and you can settle down to enjoying her.

Ps. Edit - I just saw your post LDT...I'm kinda fantasising about that now...ok, walnuts for celebratory choc - check!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Croissant For This Useful Post:
LDT (08-05-2014), SnoozyQ (08-05-2014), Soberpotamus (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

I fed her chicken cut off the bone this morning and no growling whatsoever. But then again, we didn't attempt prying a bone away from here lol. We were desperate last night to get her fed... she refuses any and all dog food (canned and dry), and will only eat real meat, her chicken jerky treats, and tries to eat bits of canned cat food because I think she knows it's the cats' food. I put her chicken into the dutch oven to cook along with ours... then right as we sat down to eat, I realized I had cooked it with onions. Dogs can't have onions, it's poison to their liver or something. So I had to pull out some frozen pieces, thaw in hot water until she could chew into it a little. So she was given 3-4 chicken quarters all stuck together, and I told my husband to take it from her when she hit bone... because I want to prevent her from eating bone right now because of her sensitive digestive system after the virus. Anyway... he went to take from her... hence, the growling. I don't blame her one bit for it. LDT, you're right... just instinct.

So... I need to plan her food much better. And I'm ordering her some probiotics, enzymes and salmon oil on Amazon today to mix in with her food. The vet really angered me yesterday when he found out she won't eat canned and that we plan to feed her real meat diet... he told me I'd need to get her on canned or kibble immediately. I told him I'd handle it, and then it made me so angry after the entire ordeal with the payment situation, I was shaking in anger. They looked at me like I was a little nuts, and I held my tongue until I got her out of that office. Man I was so mad. They were telling me I was wrong to feed my dog real meat. I am unsure now. I need to research it more.

Croissant... she's all good now. She seems to eat fine, drink lots of water, and she slept like a baby in her crate all night with no problems! She actually seemed happy to go into her crate and lie on the blankets. She woke up once around 3 am and I let her get some water and go out to pee... she came right back in, went into the crate, laid down and snored! Couldn't have been easier.

The soup sounds like a good idea, LDT. Hope you do pinpoint the food issue soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
LDT (08-05-2014), SnoozyQ (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 07:35 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Unknown300864

I'm hungry now & it's 12.35am lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Youngaddictionwarrior For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Hey Kahlia, did you not get a reply? Something must have happened when I sent the message
The Following User Says Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
SnoozyQ (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
LDT

SJ... There are LOTS of people that feed their dogs what's called a raw food diet....which includes real meat.... And they swear by it..... You can google....... I've even seen the 'raw food' in coolers in pet stores. I don't know why your vet would be opposed.....Personally I would not feed my dog chicken bones, though...too brittle.... But I do feed him boiled chicken mixed in with his dry food.

I'm beginning to think my issues are onions ( we cook with them at almost every meal ) and way, way too much fizzy water.....it has a lot of sodium in it, which I think is messing with me..... I will try to cut back on those things to see if it helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
SnoozyQ (08-05-2014), Soberpotamus (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I'll try the boiled chicken, LDT. Do you also feed it the chicken broth?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
LDT

Yes I do...if it's broth from the boiled chicken......the breeder we bought our dog from ( all our previous dogs have been rescue dogs ) told us if our dog ever was sick, that a little rice mixed in with boiled chicken was good for them.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I fed her boiled chicken mixed with the crappy tasting dog food the vet made me buy along with some dry kibble. She's an expert at picking around the kibble. Lol.
SnoozyQ (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
LDT

What's the dog food, SJ?
The Following User Says Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
SnoozyQ (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

It's Hill's id for gastrointestinal health: i/dŽ Canine Gastrointestinal Health - Canned

She really dislikes it and they forced me to buy it. I am taking the unopened cans back on Monday for a refund. We have to take her back on that day for a booster shot. I'm never going back to this vet again. I'm going to find one who isn't close minded about feeding them real food. I understand that the dog food is fortified and balanced, but from what I've been reading, I can fortify her food myself with probiotics, enzymes, extra calcium, and omega fatty acids.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
LDT

^^^ Absolutely SJ..... Vets, like doctors, need to HEAR us. After all, they are basically OUR employees. Our input is valuable.. If you are feeling uncomfortable then by all means, switch vets.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I love that you so want to give your dog the right things, Jennie. I also love the way pets can weed out the food they want from the dry food!

Please don't think I was suggesting Lucy was being awful for growling! Gee, I do it all the time, lol! It was just the tone of the last sentence of your post I must have mistaken and thought you'd posted elsewhere about her previous owner separating her. I'm glad she's settled in. So cute her getting up and going to her crate OK.

Our vets tried to sell us expensive dry food also. Honestly, it was sooo expensive. I think vets are like Doctors....best to shop around.

LDT...strangely, on the Whole 30, I find my reactions to onions and garlic have eased, if that makes sense? I've found as I get older, onions and garlic can repeat on me if I have too much, or garlic gives me a tummy ache (read croissant eating roasted Garlic cloves as if they were grapes!). But any onion or garlic I've had whilst on W30 hasn't really affected me.

I do feel so good.

Apart from feeling great, did you guys lose any weight on this one - if that was the intention, apart from seeing how it felt?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Croissant For This Useful Post:
LDT (08-05-2014), SnoozyQ (08-05-2014), Soberpotamus (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
LDT

Croissant....My journey to the Whole30 basically started by me researching the best diets for inflammation. When I shopped drinking, I developed near crippling arthritis. I was very underweight when I was drinking, so losing weight wasn't my goal. ( I did gain some weight later when I gorged on sweets early in sobriety ).... Time and again my research led me back to the Paleo diet for inflammation and insomnia..... So I started "dabbling" in it and noticed improvement almost immediately. I wasn't 100% though, so I still had issues. Ghostly was sort of my Paleo mentor. He was the trail blazer for me....... I did my first W30 because one day my yoga teacher challenged the whole class to say "yes" to something out of our comfort zone. So I said yes to W30. H joined me on the first one and he lost like 20 pounds quickly ( he had it to lose ). I did lose weight on both W30s, but since I didn't have a lot to lose, my weight loss wasn't nearly like my H's. It's said that the Paleo diet sort of brings you to your perfect "set point" in your weight. Some people lose a lot, some don't.

I'm so glad you're feeling great, Croissant.....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-05-2014), Ghostly (08-05-2014), SnoozyQ (08-05-2014), Soberpotamus (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
^^^ Absolutely SJ..... Vets, like doctors, need to HEAR us. After all, they are basically OUR employees. Our input is valuable.. If you are feeling uncomfortable then by all means, switch vets.

Hear hear LDT . I have worked in the animal industry for many , many years and also a hospital .
Vets get kickbacks just like the doctors do if you flog their merchandise .

They get so many freebies etc it's ridiculous .

What you were feeding her is perfect . Take that expensive dog food back and go on your own instincts .

Regarding the onions , i know they say not to feed it to dogs but seriously , before i knew that my dogs all lived long health lives, probably longer than most and i always gave them a piece of chocolate or more each day ..

We had a lady on tv the other day with the oldest dog alive , they asked her to pinpoint one secret that she does , she said i know people wont be happy with me , but i gave him chocolate every day . The dog was 25 !!! Lol

It's really just being logical , dogs lived shorter lives in the wild before we ever domesticated them lol .

You are a good Mum Jen , just keep doing what you are doing and by all means avoid the onion and choccies , i was just giving my example ...hugs xxxx
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnoozyQ For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-05-2014), LDT (08-05-2014), Soberpotamus (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Unknown300864

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Hey Kahlia, did you not get a reply? Something must have happened when I sent the message
Got the reply hun that's what happens when I try and type at 12 am lol.

Soooo I don't have a phone now my partner 'fixed it' and now it wont charge lol on the plus side I can access my emails from my ipad & work computer.

I make bacon & eggs this morning 2x lean rashers washed then patted down to take off oil, 2x scrambled eggs and a grilled roma tomatoe mmm it was very yummy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Youngaddictionwarrior For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-05-2014), LDT (08-05-2014), SnoozyQ (08-05-2014), Soberpotamus (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

You guys are making me miss my dog! I miss him so bad, I have dreams about him.
I made a soup last night with red lentils, onion, potatoes, and broccoli and ate it on top of a bunch of greens. I wanted ice cream but had a glass of iced unsweetended rice milk instead which I think is a good compromise....baby steps! You guys have no idea what I'm up against here, it is just a sea of cafes, bakeries, ice cream shops, food stands and restaurants. I'm pretty over the take out now because it was all I ate for over a month, but the sweets, the sweets! They're so tempting. And I don't go to bars so cafes are my "thing", so I'm always confronted with delicious looking cakes etc. Sigh, life is hard.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-06-2014), LDT (08-06-2014), Soberpotamus (08-06-2014), Youngaddictionwarrior (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

LDT...thanks for that!xx

I am so glad it sounds like a good choice. Sounds like it worked in the right way for you and your husband. I've been looking at Paleo recipes today...I think that's the next step after these 30 days.

I'm so happy I forged through those first few hard days. I'm enjoying cooking again - I'd kind of avoided the kitchen because it's where me and Mr Vino used to love hanging out. But I'm only realising tonight, those thoughts aren't there now! Win win.

Copy and paste of my update from the Whole30 thread for today's menu!
------------------------------------------------------
Day 6 - done.

Still feeling good.

Note on the coconut cream. I used a bigger can tonight, and the "cream" was definitely firmer to get out. I whipped it up just with a fork. Maybe the beaters are better when it's firm like that. I couldn't be bothered!

Breakfast was leftover meatballs and celery.
Lunch scrambled egg with onion and spinach. 1/2 banana mashed with my coconut oil allowance.
Dinner I made a curry, shredded lean beef, zucchini, capsicum, onion, garlic, ginger, curry leaves. Fried up in a little coconut oil and simmered in some coconut milk. Squeeze of lime at the end. Delicious. I add salt to one meal a day and this was the one.
1/2 banana with coconut milk "cream" for dessert. Teaspoon of nut butter to cover off on fat (cashew, Brazil, almond mix).

I'm feeling like I'm on top of my right sized serves now. Won't have my banana and cream everyday, but glad I have that as a treat a couple times a week. I actually am not craving sugar now, so I don't want to feed it by having the banana and cream too often!
The Following User Says Thank You to Croissant For This Useful Post:
Soberpotamus (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post

Please don't think I was suggesting Lucy was being awful for growling! Gee, I do it all the time, lol! It was just the tone of the last sentence of your post I must have mistaken and thought you'd posted elsewhere about her previous owner separating her. I'm glad she's settled in. So cute her getting up and going to her crate OK.
I didn't think you were suggesting that, Croissant She certainly was displaying "top dog" behavior, no matter. I guess I tend to justify things, lol.
Croissant (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

She is refusing her puppy kibble and Hill's id canned food this morning. I'm not surprised. How can you follow up delicious chicken with that?? Lol. She is restless, playful, and full of fun today. I've already had to do the side swipe where you lay them on their side and hold their snout to teach no biting/nipping. She is all over my hands nipping me playfully.

I gave in last night and let her up on the bed with me. She absolutely loved that. She hopped right up there with me this morning when I let her out of the crate. I put her stuffed pig up there on the bed to bite on instead of my hands.

The cats can tell she is super excited today... they are a bit more hesitant.

We took the dog with us on our nightly neighborhood walk, the cats did follow. The cats are used to this walk and I was afraid they wouldn't go because of Lucy but they did!! We all walked as a family! Probably a funny sight
LDT (08-06-2014)