Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group Part 13

Old 08-12-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  
LDT

The vet visit was OK! We had a new vet who was actually nice, and did NOT tell me my cat was fat. . What a nice change.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-12-2014), gleefan (08-12-2014), MidnightBlue (08-12-2014), Soberpotamus (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Heaters)

So, here I am.

Binged big time on Sunday - pizza, bread and cheese....Lots of it...Felt like crap on Monday - my thoughts could barely make their way through carbohydrates' fog in my mind. Let alone my all bloated body...Greeeat...

So, I am going to stop it my any means necessary. If I can't moderate pizza and have to kick it out - let it be. I just can't suffer like that any more.

Today was good - both nutrition and workouts. Tomorrow my boxing trainer is back from vacations, so I am going to kick a&& to my binge eating.

SJ - Sorry you are having rough time with your husband. I remember arguments with my ex and how emotionally wiped out I was after. I hope you'll find the way to work it out.

LDT - I agree - what a nice change! Your ex-vets remind me of my doctors who keep reminding me that it's high time for me to have kids. WTF, people? Do your job and keep your comments to yourself.

Ghostly - Boxing is a great kick out of comfort zone. And that's awesome! Try it!

And my best healthy wishes to all the Heaters.

See you)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-12-2014), gleefan (08-12-2014), LDT (08-12-2014), Soberpotamus (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Hi all!

Glee, there is a newsletter from Robb Wolf (I hunk that is the name) who is both a paleo and crossfit advocate. I read his stuff and I make some I the recipes that are meatless. And you are brave! How do you like crossfit? I see the groupons for it but haven't had the nerve to try it.

Kahlia, making hubby jealous with the pooch? Lol

LDT, glad you found the newer vet nicer. I have a cat like that... She is not nice to put in a carrier and then acts all bashful and sweet to the vet. Insert rolly eyes here. Lol

Jen, you sound like you are on the right track with the dog. And that is nice that you have an uncle who knows dogs! I am sorry to hear about the problems with your husband, but you have a good attitude, one day at a time.

Hi midnight blue and croissant and ghostly, and I'm still gettin used to everyone's names here (I post from my iphone so I can't scroll back )

Very pet filled thread! We have two cats and a dog (half border collie half greyhound, that is my baby). All three are rescues.

Another pet story....Jogged this morning and right when we turned the corner, a pit bull came running at us. Fast. No leash. Clipped ears and all muscle. ;( my partner stepped in front me and blocked it because it was charging me because I was scared. The owner was a little... Unconcerned. We are going to stop at his house after work and talk to him. Nothing like adrenaline to help with a run, it was the fastest 2 mile jog I have ever done. Lol. And I won't eat or drink over it!

Everyone have a good day!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tamerua For This Useful Post:
gleefan (08-12-2014), LDT (08-12-2014), Soberpotamus (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kahlia01 View Post
Glee whats a frosting diet?
It's the one where I numb myself silly eating store bought frosting in a can.

No worries, I'm plugging along on Day Three. Last night I ate mixed greens with cucumber, tomato, 4 oz. chicken, and quinoa, topped with grapeseed oil and strawberries for dinner. I had air popped popcorn with 1 tbsp. butter for a nighttime snack.

This morning I had a lara alt bar to fuel my sunrise (well, actually it was still moonlit) bike ride. Then an early lunch of 2 eggs fried in 1 tbsp. coconut oil, with 1/3 cup rice, steamed broccoli, a cucumber and tomato salad, and 1/2 cup blueberries. I was able to hold off til my predetermined afternoon snack time for 2 oz. chicken, steamed yellow squash, and 4 strawberries. Tonight I have plans to go out to dinner for my son's birthday. I led him to pick a restaurant that he likes where I am not particularly tempted by the menu! He's 8, so I can still get away with that.

I haven't made it to a food Day Three in over a year. My resolve is strong now, but I know all too well how that can fluctuate with, um, life. I weighed myself on Sunday morning. I'm going to hold off on weighing myself again til this weekend.

As for crossfit, I LOVE crossfit! I've been going 3 days a week for a month. Workouts are scaled to each and every participant, and the coaches are sooo helpful. There's a sense of community and fellowship that comes from doing the workouts together. I am the weakest person, and I always come in last, but I feel supported and my efforts validated by even the most muscle-bound, fit people. I ate so much over the last month, that I actually ended up gaining weight. It wasn't muscle weight, either; it was overeating weight. My clothes don't fit!

Well, my afternoon coffee is ready. As part of my healthy eating, I have been making my afternoon coffee half decaf and trying to drink more water. I'm horrible about water.

It's been fun getting to know everyone. Thanks for sharing this journey!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gleefan For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-12-2014), Soberpotamus (08-13-2014), Youngaddictionwarrior (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  
LDT

Tamerua .... One night I was walking my dog in the neighborhood. It was quite late. I love the solitude of walking at night. All of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I saw, and then immediately heard, a black lab charging us. My dog was on a leash and started to wrap around my legs. Labs are usually awesome dogs so this took me by surprise. The owner came running after it as I was shouting.... He was trying to call back the dog and was telling me" oh he won't hurt you " ....right, as his teeth were bared..... Then in another few seconds a yellow lab, from the same owner, came charging at us..... I am like WTF??? There are TWO of them??? The owner could not get control but kept saying '"they won't hurt you they're nice" .... I shouted something at him ( I'm sure it was decidedly UN-lady like ) and yanked my dog out of the line of fire. Some people have no business owning dogs, ya know?

So I am making stuffed bell peppers and spaghetti squash for dinner tonight. Steamed broccoli on the side. I'm also simmering my homemade tomato sauce in the crock pot. Will freeze it for later. Whenever tomatoes come on sale, I buy in bulk and make sauce. My guilty confession today is that I actually ate a peanut butter and honey sandwich....I have not done that in a looooong Time. Have to admit it was good.

To you cross fitters. . I'm a power yoga kind of gal, but I do know some crossfiters. Is it true there is a throw up bucket in the corner of the gym?

So I think I told you I took on this forearm plank challenge. I messed up my knee in yoga yesterday so I wasn't sure I could do the plank today..... But I did......my 4th day on the challenge and I held it for 3 minutes. That doesn't sound long, but I gotta say that it was HARD. My goal is 5 minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Soberpotamus (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Hi all...MB, I loved boxing when I did it. It nearly killed me though because the rest of the people in my class were guys...and this weird part of me came out - I found I got really competitive and would try and keep up with them on our warm up stair sprints etc.

Some days I could barely walk afterwards.

And LDT, I have been at the end of a feeble "don't worry, he won't hurt anyone" when a dog bailed us up on the beach from nowhere. An on-lead beach also. So frustrating. Labradors usually have lovely temperaments. I do know a lab savagely attacked a friend when I was a little girl. Plastic surgery and later face reconstruction was needed. You had every right to be alarmed. Particularly with two of them, they could easily set each other off.

Well, day 13 of the Whole 30. I forgot to buy eggs yesterday!? How could I forget eggs?

So breakfast is my stock standard tuna patties...oh, I Asianed these ones, with some ginger, garlic and lime zest. I'd have added some basil and coriander (cilantro), but I am on a budget and I've eaten my own home grown herbs to bare stalks! Lol. Bit of cayenne for some heat. Yum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Croissant For This Useful Post:
LDT (08-12-2014), Soberpotamus (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Croissant, do you use canned tuna for the patties? The Asian style patties sound great!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gleefan For This Useful Post:
LDT (08-12-2014), Soberpotamus (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Yes, Gleefan.

There seems to be a lot that have soy in them over in the states, but here, all my cans are just springwater packed tuna. How come?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Croissant For This Useful Post:
gleefan (08-14-2014), LDT (08-12-2014), Soberpotamus (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
Unknown300864

isn't it amazing how every single canned thing nearly always has traces of soy, nuts and dairy. its bizar
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Youngaddictionwarrior For This Useful Post:
gleefan (08-14-2014), Soberpotamus (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kahlia01 View Post
isn't it amazing how every single canned thing nearly always has traces of soy, nuts and dairy. its bizar
Apart from the tuna thing, Kahlia, it's not that they contain them. Companies have to put that disclaimer in as the machinery may have been used to process something else with nuts or diary in it. They have to state it for those who have severe allergies.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  
LDT

The other night I was at an Italian restaurant . I wanted the basil pesto, but not if it had pine nuts in it . ( I hate pine nuts ). Our waitress assured me, several times , that it had no pine nuts . I asked her to please ask the chef to make sure ....... And you guessed it ..... Pine Nuts ..... Can you imagine if I had been allergic to pine nuts, but believed her ??

Have you guys made cauliflower rice yet? It's so easy and a really good substitute for rice .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  
Unknown300864

aahh that's very interesting.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Youngaddictionwarrior For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Unknown300864

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
The other night I was at an Italian restaurant . I wanted the basil pesto, but not if it had pine nuts in it . ( I hate pine nuts ). Our waitress assured me, several times , that it had no pine nuts . I asked her to please ask the chef to make sure ....... And you guessed it ..... Pine Nuts ..... Can you imagine if I had been allergic to pine nuts, but believed her ??

Have you guys made cauliflower rice yet? It's so easy and a really good substitute for rice .
Some people just don't care, while I was in recovery from bulimia there were so many times id order specific food like ' please leave the dressing on the side', ' no croutons', 'no oil', its like they didn't care and little did they realise I was so tender and vunerable at that stage of my life that id burst into tears and embarous myself not being able to eat it. I felt like such a burden...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Youngaddictionwarrior For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-12-2014), gleefan (08-14-2014), LDT (08-12-2014), Soberpotamus (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

LDT...were they going to use another nut for the pesto? Wouldn't have taken long to whizz up.

I love pine nuts...

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
No, not yet. Maybe later this week after I get halfway. I have to be in the mood for cauliflower.

I like the idea of the cauliflower rice. I only have a blender, so it will be an experiment to get the cut right, for sure.

P.s. I'm glad kitty had no jibes about her (?) girth at the vets. Hehe.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Kahlia, I have actually watched someone slap together a sandwich for me once, with about a quarter of a tomato slice on it, just a train wreck.

I just looked at them gobsmacked and lifted the top and said, "is this how you would make it for yourself?"

I used to be so shy when I was younger, but when I see people not caring, and arrogantly serving food, it makes me really annoyed. There would have been a time where I would have said nothing and eaten it. Like the time I asked for a lettuce sandwich and the server looked at me like I was a Martian, and proceeded to make it with the limp scrappy outer leaves of the iceberg lettuce.

She made me feel so embarrassed for ordering just lettuce and I was to shy back then to say, hey, you gave me all the crap parts of the lettuce, lady.
gleefan (08-14-2014), Soberpotamus (08-13-2014), Youngaddictionwarrior (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  
Unknown300864

That is so true croissant especially when your paying for it. Ive grown self confidence now and the Indians don't take me for a joke anymore when I say hot curry no oil I mean hot !!! they used to either think I was crazy and not make it hot enough or put me to the test and fill it with chillies which the funny thing was that's how I had been asking for it the whole time! they now recognise my voice on the phone just like my old favourite indian restaurant in surfers paradise.

There is nothing worse than bad lettuce we are not guinea pigs you give the scraps to! my partners funny he expects alacarte home service from me or he will complain yet when I complain in a restaurant he gets embarrassed ahaha
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Youngaddictionwarrior For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-12-2014), gleefan (08-14-2014), Soberpotamus (08-13-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Haha....I love a hot curry too Kahlia.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Wow, lottsa talk then it just all quit all the sudden. Hope everyone is well.

I have strung together a lot of really good eating days. Kind of out of nowhere.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Croissant (08-14-2014), gleefan (08-14-2014), Soberpotamus (08-14-2014), Youngaddictionwarrior (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  
Unknown300864

Lol so angry I need glasses for work and reading from being hit in the face (when I was sober) cause i was set up and blamed for saying I was going to hit them drunk which I didn't and was sober & was bashed by biatches 9 months ago :-( people suck! I brought fcuk glasses cause that's what I feel like screaming right now more $! Then my dogs ran away and I had to drive through a school oval which I'm pretty sure is illegal to get them as they weigh 90kgs together and are faster than me oh and this happened after my BMW over heated and wouldn't start and I payed my last $200 to get my necklace fixed and missed my psychiatrist appointment so even though I'm having an anxiety attack for real I have no Valium .... Good news is I don't want a drink xxx
Eating great treated myself to sushi for lunch and having maple pork loin for dinner with steamed veg.... What an exciting day off how's everyone else?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Youngaddictionwarrior For This Useful Post:
gleefan (08-14-2014), Soberpotamus (08-14-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Congrats on a month sober yesterday, Kahlia.

It took a whole for me to get used to glasses for reading. Sorry to hear about what caused the problem.

Well, copy and paste below of my update on Whole 30.

Firstly, I can't believe....tomorrow is the start of Week 3! Well, I didn't get to a second walk today, but I am amped. My concentration levels are yet again noticeably higher, I power away at stuff I'm working on and can concentrate. Honestly, I can tell the difference in that area alone.

Well, breakfast was above. Lunch was semi soft boiled eggs, coconut oil and broccoli.

Dinner, Thai curry. Delicious. And some leftovers for tomorrow, cos God knows I love a good leftover to easily reheat! Lol.

Pics below. 3rd pic is a Paleo recipe I'm keen to try on the weekend, to celebrate Week 3 that looks compliant. Rosemary and Thyme Pork Ribs...the pic looks amazing. Recipe here;
Rosemary Tomato Pork Ribs | The Paleo Diet | Dr. Cordain : The Paleo Diet

4th pic is from my phone this morning on my walk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (58.6 KB, 13 views)
gleefan (08-14-2014), Soberpotamus (08-14-2014), Youngaddictionwarrior (08-14-2014)