Blogs

Possible Hypoglycemia?

Old 06-27-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Possible Hypoglycemia?

Okay I know we can't give medical advice on here, I am just looking for some sanity right now I am going to go nuts! I have a doctors appointment scheduled for June 7th that was the soonest they can fit me in. So until then I have to deal with this!

Up until this past sunday i have had no health problems at all since getting sober almost 3 years ago. Sunday I experienced an anxiety attack, dizzy feeling, disoriented. So instinct told me to eat something sugary. So I drank a coke and ate a mini sized candy bar. Within an hour I was back to normal again. Fast forward to tuesday at work, same thing happens, anxiety, disorientation, etc. I ate some snacks and it went away. Wednesday I snacked throughout the day without incident as a test. Yesterday and today both i felt find upon waking up, but once I got to work and ate breakfast (2 multigrain english muffins and a pint of orange juice) it went downhill from there. All day I struggled to feel normal and I pretty much had to keep snacking constantly at work. Finally on both days when I came home and ate dinner it seemed to level out and I was okay.

This is scary. I went to the local pharmacy after dinner last night and had them check my blood sugar, it was 113 which they said was normal for after a meal. Again I am probably just way overthinking things because I am an alcoholic and thats what we do. lol. But yeah if anyone else experiences this and has any insight or suggestions that I can take until I see my doctor it would be great.

I am trying to have several small meals and snacks instead of large ones, my main problem is I am a picky eater so I really don't like a lot of healthy foods. I am tying to force myself to eat them just because I know I need to.

Also, thyroid problems run on my mothers side of the family, my mom and 3 of my aunts have hypothyroidism. So i am going to make sure my doctor checks that out too.

Again I am just wanting someone to tell me I am not alone in this. I have 10 days to go before I can see the doc so help me out here folks! If anyone has any suggested meal plans that would be awesome. I have taken a liking to the nature valley nut bars for snacks, they are tasty and I hear that nuts are a good source of various things.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyerFan For This Useful Post:
Windancer (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello FlyerFan!
I am obviously not a docor, but will share my experience
I have been an alcoholic since my teenage years. The last few have been particularly bad. I wouldn't eat, just drink. I had my doctor on board to check everything out....blood sugar levels, liver function etc. Everything came back normal. But I had the same symptoms as you. I got the help of a naturopathic doctor and had a hair test, and some other tests done. Sure enough, I am hypoglycemic. My natural doctor said that the tests MD's do only detect things like thyroid issues, hypoglocemia etc when they have finally become chronic and obvious. Hypoglycemia is VERY common in alcoholics, even those that have had sober time. Again, this is info I got from my natural doctor.
I would suggest getting a juicer. If I have a hypoglycemic attack, orange juice pulls me out of it the quickest. I think that if you feel you have this condition, treat yourself like you do and give your body what it is asking for
Old 07-21-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

The funny thing is, I had it for about a week and then just like that it went away. My doctor thinks it may have been some sort of weird summer virus. Haven't had any problems at all since! Very strange indeed.
Windancer (07-21-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Could be! Glad it went away though
The Following User Says Thank You to Windancer For This Useful Post:
FlyerFan (07-27-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have reactive hypo. Nothing to do with the booze, since have had since before drinking. when this occurred what did you eat prior?
Old 07-23-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my thyroid is on the very low side of normal....until I started taking something to help boost it, my energy level was so sluggish. since June it has remarkedly improved.

there are several different thyroid tests that you doctor should run, not just the basic one and have them check your adrenals too.

glad you feel better and paying attention isn't overthinking....but the weather also saps us and then there are those hormones to deal with.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Darn viruses...they always make us google things and then we think we're dying. :P
SpaceMandrill (07-28-2014)