Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group Part 12

Old 06-01-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
LDT

Anyone ever try " Bulletproof Coffee"? One day during this W30 I'm going to give it a whirl.

Wehav.....sounds like your weekend was wonderful.

Lights out for me, gang. Mañana .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-02-2014), Gilmer (06-02-2014), venuscat (06-02-2014), wehav2day (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post

SJ.... I made the bok choy and really liked it. I will make it again.....but guess who didn't like It? My son, whom I affectionately call "Eyeore" sometimes ( the grumpy donkey in Winnie the Pooh).... I suppose it's sort of my fault because I snuck it in on him, not telling him it was cabbage, which he HATES. He took one bite and.... Ha Ha serves him right! Pass me the Mother of the Year Award.
If your son doesn't like it, tell him to take his sorry butt down to 7-Eleven and get one of their hot dogs!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-02-2014), LDT (06-02-2014), venuscat (06-02-2014), wehav2day (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
LDT

Oh trust me, Gilmer ....I have and do . I have a sign above my kitchen sink that reads:

"DINNER CHOICES 1.) TAKE IT..... 2.). LEAVE IT

MY son's saving grace is that he is an awesome cook, and cooks for us all the time. So we cut him some slack when he gets persnickety with us. . I fully get how some people don't like cabbage....... I just think they're BARMY ( that was for my UK buddies).

Day 2 whole30.....

Breakfast : black coffee, leftover frittata from yesterday, blackberries and cantaloupe
Lunch: spinach salad with roast chicken, avocado and radishes
Dinner: DON'T laugh....I know I've given wehav hell about her Mac n canned tuna, but I am making Paleo TUNA CAKES with said canned tuna and sweet potatoes. Recipe from Nom Nom.

Whole 30 says to limit fruit ..... So I am..... Just probably not as much as they would like....I'm not superhuman ya know?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-02-2014), Mags1 (06-02-2014), venuscat (06-02-2014), wehav2day (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I didn't use to like cabbage--and still don't when boiled plain. I only learned to tolerate it in stuffed cabbage when I became an adult--and I positively love it in Moo Shi Pork! That is far and away my favorite Chinese food!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-02-2014), LDT (06-02-2014), venuscat (06-02-2014), wehav2day (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

We went to the Thai place last night. I had a basil cashew tofu dish. Tasty. Pretty standard and I've had similar before, but was nonetheless satisfying. Husband had some mixed vegetable deal that wasn't spicy enough for me. Lol.

LDT... I've heard about the bulletproof coffee... made with the kerrygold butter and all that? Does sound like a great way to paleo up some strong coffee. Give it a whirl and let us know how you like it. I might be willing to get it a go if it's good.

Gilmer, I too love stuffed cabbage. Good stuff.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-02-2014), Gilmer (06-02-2014), LDT (06-02-2014), wehav2day (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wehav... that sounds like quite a paddling trip. Lol about the punch in your sleep! Wow. Did you punch back?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-02-2014), LDT (06-02-2014), wehav2day (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Another Manic Monday for me Heaters! Getting ready for work and still have to get a bit of water on my tomato seedlings before leaving.

Wow.. wehav... sleeping under the bridge.... In metro Denver that spot is reserved for the chronically mentally ill, the addicts, and the homeless... you are adventurous and brave! It sounds like a beautiful trip overall, though, and worth less than stellar sleeping accommodations.

Had a good day yesterday:

scrambled eggs and bacon for lunch;

chicken tenders stir fried with mixed Asian veggies and I did throw in some rice;

Skinny Cow ice cream and sandwich and blueberries - snack offered by my daughter when I went to visit the baby yesterday;

1/2 cup Peanut butter panic ice cream;

Today: I had whole grain waffles with peanut butter, sliced banana and a mix of regular and light syrup;

Packed for lunch/dinner: 1 whole wheat tortilla with natural peanut butter; 1/2 Granny smith apple; 1/2 banana; 1 cup of Greek light Strawberry yogurt;

For dinner I will heat up the leftover chicken stir fry.

LDT: Way to go on a successful Day 1... I am storing away all this valuable info for the time when I am ready to move the grains out of my life again, and get more Paleo.... I really appreciate the lack of judgement, the open-mindedness and the support here.

I am feeling very hopeful that my life filled with food issues, and feeling shame and judgement around them, is on a healing path.

Have a healthy day, all!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1Dayatatyme For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (06-02-2014), LDT (06-02-2014), wehav2day (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

As you would expect, I'm not an expert on the healthy stuff: but I do know for a fact that Kerrygold butter is the absolute best!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
LDT (06-02-2014), Mags1 (06-02-2014), wehav2day (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Gilmer, lol, thought I'd come on healthy eating support group, lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mags1 For This Useful Post:
LDT (06-02-2014), wehav2day (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Great! Welcome, Mags!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
LDT (06-02-2014), Mags1 (06-02-2014), wehav2day (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome mags!!

1day, this is a support thread, not a paleo thread. We want to support you in whatever way you decide to eat! It's really about being happy and healthy. No shame or eat this not that. Ldt didn't reach through the screen and smack me for the tuna mac and cheese, riiiight?

Soberjen, it was a fantastic trip! Yeah sleeping under a freeway kind of sucked, but it was ok. It was actually a nice gravel/sand beach with some tree cover. My friend posted a pic of our camp on fb and a dude asked if we were approached by any homeless support services. We weren't this time... We did look like a high end encampment. I'd like to think I'd only dumpster dive at rei... Lol

Ldt, mmmmmmmhhhhhmmmmm. Canned tuna cakes. Make fun of me for tuna mac, but turn around and make tuna cakes. And what is making your canned tuna gourmet, eh?? actually, salmon cakes sound kind of good for tonight... But I already have shrimp thawing for shrimp curry. And I haven't had cauliflower rice in days so I better make some.

Ldt woooooohoooo on day two!!!

Gilmer good for you going back to exercise!! There was a lady on our canoe trip this weekend whose experience was a reminder for me to keep up with exercise. She managed to do the miles, but she felt reeeeeeaaaaly rough last night after the paddling was done. We gotta use it or lose it, that's for sure.

Well heaters I started off well today but split a donut and had three mini Reese cups. It's training week for our summer staff and we ply them with goodies while we cram their brains with knowledge. This part is kind of bad: I split the doughnut with a coworker who went on a diet two weeks ago after talking with me about cleaning up our diets! Oops!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (06-02-2014), LDT (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
LDT

Wow.... Y'all have been busy.......

SJ....I would make bulletproof coffee with ghee..... I have a recipe, but will wait until I get a few more days into Whole30..... Your dinner sounded great. I'm drooling. Count me in on the stuffed cabbage lovers.

Welcome from me too, Mags . Hope you stick around.

Wehav..... A bridge and a can of tuna sounds like an adventure. Wish I could have been there ( I really mean that because it makes an awesome story )..... As the presumed most..... Ahem...."senior" member of this thread, I can attest to the fact that if we don't use it we do indeed lose it. If it means I have to walk more miles, do more crunches, practice more yoga, etc. than my younger buddies do just to keep up and keep healthy....then I am cool with that.....I don't mind doing the work. My family of origin are ALL in terrible health...arthritis, Alzheimer's, cancer, heart disease....and their way to deal with their health issues is to simply take more and more meds. Nutritional healing and exercise are not considerations for them.......I personally will not "go gently"...... I'm fighting to stay healthy. It's the main reason I stay sober.....I almost died.....I sort of like living now.

Soooo.....Change of plans....tuna cakes are for tomorrow. Tonight I sautéed sausages, peppers, onions in a little tomato sauce and wrapped it up in a lettuce wrap....my family opted for the lettuce wraps instead of the pasta I made.

Day 2 down.....feeling great!
The Following User Says Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (06-03-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, heaters.

Still here. Feel pretty low these days, so not posting much.

But somehow I found myself doing Whole30 for 3 days by now - just intuitively) I am taking one day at a time, trying not to overwhelm myself with strict nutrition goals - just can't cope with any additional stress at the moment.

My hugs to all.

See you later.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-03-2014), Gilmer (06-03-2014), LDT (06-02-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
LDT

Good Morning Heaters,

Day 3 Whole 30

Breakfast: green smoothie and leftover lettuce wrap from last night.
Lunch : Spicey Tuna cakes....recipe off Nom Nom Paleo
Dinner: goose and roasted veggies .

Back a little later.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-03-2014), Gilmer (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

(((((((Midnight))))))) I am sorry you are stressing out, but glad you are here. Looks like you are eating great!

Ldt, nice menu! Tell us how that tuna works out... I can't take that backpacking though!
I'm impressed that you weren't gnawing in a turkey leg or something.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-03-2014), Gilmer (06-03-2014), LDT (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
LDT

You know me so well, wehav...If I had a turkey leg, I WOULD be shamelessly gnawing it ...

Tuna cakes are in the oven.... I hate opening up that can of tuna though. Hopefully they will turn out.

My ducks are in the crockpot..... I made a papaya/ mango/jalapeno sauce to pour over them. No recipe...just what I had in the fridge and freezer. It could suck...and then just maybe....
Gilmer (06-03-2014), wehav2day (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good morning all... another busy day ahead!

Wehave: Thank you for clarifying the intent of this thread... LDT...I really thought that the goal was to "arrive" at a place where our diets would be Paleo... instead, it sounds like we do our own thing dietwise, heading towards healthier and what that looks like for each of us. Now, I do believe Paleo is a great way to go, and last year on here I was heading in that direction. Now, I can slow down a bit.

I had a change in my diet yesterday: I had a client cancel at 5pm so had time to pick up something, other than a cup of yogurt... I had a Philly steak and cheese... I was so hungry, I was really glad I picked it up.

By being mindful and documenting here, the first thing I am noticing is that I eat too little in the day... I know why... when I would come home from work no matter how late, it was better to have an empty stomach so that the alcohol would relax me quicker. Now, eating well all day is another step assuring I will stay sober another day (and night).

So, today I will bring the leftover chicken stir fry and rice and veggies to work to eat late afternoon; and use the yogurt and 1/2 of the peanut butter whole wheat tortilla as snacks, if needed.

Hugs to all!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1Dayatatyme For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (06-03-2014), wehav2day (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
LDT

Oh Gosh, 1Day....sorry if it seemed as if this was a Paleo thread....We've posted a few times that it wasn't , but maybe that was before you got here...There is absolutely NO PRESSURE to eat Paleo or any other style here. We just report in what we are doing and share ideas. What works for me might not work for you or anyone else. But what I WILL go to the mat on ( yoga reference intended) is that sugar is toxic and does no one, on any diet, any good. If you don't eat sugar, you don't crave it. So I do draw the line at the popular " Donut Diet" ( just kidding..no such thing).

wehav... Tuna Cakes were very good...even H, who is not on Whole30 this time, liked them. You could make them ahead of time and still eat them under a bridge

Midnight ( from all of us )
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-04-2014), Gilmer (06-03-2014), wehav2day (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good afternoon, gang. I'm snacking on some wasabi almonds. Unfortunately, there's sugar on the ingredient list. They are pretty addictive. I had a boiled egg and half a turkey sandwich earlier.

Dinner tonight: grilled beef ribs, baked sweet potato & zucchini, grapes for dessert
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-04-2014), LDT (06-03-2014), wehav2day (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
LDT

Snack today: half an avocado and some radishes.

Dinner is the same as earlier posted, with the addition of brussel sprouts and mashed cauliflower. I'm also making Lima beans for my son., Who hates brussel sprouts because.....wait for it....he HATES cabbage or anything remotely similar ( DUH!) So I thought I'd give him a lovely surprise by making the house SMELL like brussel sprouts and cauliflower..... (Tee-hee
1Dayatatyme (06-04-2014), wehav2day (06-03-2014)