Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group Part 12

Old 06-21-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

I'm going to make some sort of chicken cabbage roll today. Not following any particular recipe, but taking parts from a few and making it my own (just because I don't have all the ingredients for any one recipe on hand). Basically, it's going to be boneless skinless chicken breasts wrapped in softened cabbage leaves baked in a tomato-herb-coconut oil sauce on 350F for around 90 minutes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-21-2014), LDT (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
LDT

Let us know how the rolls go, SJ....I've had some success making rolls with collard greens . They roll up really easy and don't disintegrate in my crockpot.

Dinner tonight is just grilled burgers ...mine will be without a bun on lettuce. I made Paleo mayo, and have tons of tomatoes that have been ripening on a window sill. I am also going to bake zucchini fries. We had Paleo stove top "fried" fish for lunch, which was delicious, but then I started wondering if it was Whole30..... I read we can bread with almond flour and fry chicken....as long as it's not deep fried in vegetable oil, so assumed I can do the same with fish....whatever...it's now been consumed without a shred of guilt

Can't wait to get back to my regular Paleo eating. That's going to seem like a walk in the park compared to this Whole30. (lol)....... (Insert Ghostly telling me I'm a little food grumpy).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-21-2014), Soberpotamus (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

My pancakes turned out great, as well! I have to thank both SJ and Ghostly... I combined your advice with my own ideas.
And, mind you, I whipped up and cooked the pancakes while dog sitting.... Berkeley was underfoot anticipating dropped crumbs, and Seraphina was on the kitchen table in her little seat, cooing and smiling while this Grandma talked to her about the paleo pancakes.

I used the Kerrygold pure Irish butter in the pan, and mixed up 2 TBP coconut flour, and 1/4 each of the almond and hazelnut flour. I added one beaten egg and 1/4 cup of the almond coconut milk blend, and then let it rest for 5 minutes.
Sure enough, it did thicken, so I added about 1/2 cup of the coc/almd milk blend, 1/2 of mashed banana, and another egg. The pan was pretty hot, as the butter was sizzling, and I kept the pancakes to the silver dollar size.

They cooked rather quickly, and held together like regular pancakes.
No problems when flipping them at all. I topped them with Kirkland organic maple syrup. They were so delicious... I think it was due to the quality of the ingredients as well as the fact I was very hungry, running around all morning... I made them around 1:30pm.
What an enjoyable experience!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1Dayatatyme For This Useful Post:
LDT (06-21-2014), Soberpotamus (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
LDT

^^ Awesome 1Day!!
1Dayatatyme (06-21-2014), Soberpotamus (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  
LDT

Good Morning Heaters,

Day 22 Whole30

I ate all the "compliant" foods yesterday, but feel like I might have consumed too many calories... I was just hungry all day, so I grazed. Today I will reel it in some. Breakfast will be a green smoothie and hardboiled egg ( which I've already eaten )...... Lunch/dinner will be goose and sausage ala husband, green beans, broccoli and I will mash some cauliflower for whatever (compliant) goose gravy he makes. We usually only eat one big meal on Sundays after church.

Today..... I will swim!
1Dayatatyme (06-22-2014), Soberpotamus (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Ldt, congrats on day 22!!

Thank you sooooo much for the birthday wishes! It was a fantastic birthday. J outdid herself being sweet. I feel really lucky. I wish I could describe the food I've had this weekend, but I don't want to tempt ldt. And I'm not sure of the etiquette here... I don't want to talk about food like some folks glorify drinking. That ain't no good.

But let's just say I got surprised by being taken to our once in a blue moon if we feel financially reckless favorite restaurant, then yesterday a nice picnic by the river. Woohoo!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-22-2014), LDT (06-22-2014), Muunray (06-24-2014), Soberpotamus (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Wehave:

Great to hear that your birthday was wonderful!! You deserve it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1Dayatatyme For This Useful Post:
LDT (06-22-2014), Soberpotamus (06-22-2014), wehav2day (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  
LDT

Ditto what 1Day said Wehav ....... And please DO tempt me . Tell me everything you ate. H and I are already planning what we're going to eat in 9 days .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-23-2014), Soberpotamus (06-22-2014), wehav2day (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Okey dokey!

Birthday night dinner: (very welcomed, the work day was a lot more complicated than it needed to be...):
Appetizer: sushi roll with seven pepper tuna, tempura shrimp, avocado. A few bites of j's amazing crab cake
Main course: quinoa encrusted Scottish salmon on sautéed baby kale with chive gnocchi and citrus beurre blanc
Dessert: Oreo stuffed donuts with house made bailey's and cream ice cream
Ohyesidid! I don't particular like donuts, and I hate Oreo cookies, but this dessert transforms both to something crazy good!

Yesterday's picnic: fresh sourdough bread, my favoritest goat cheese (cypress grove purple haze from arcata, ca), roasted garlic, olives, little peppers, grapes, cherries, Cadbury chocolate from England.

And the unbelievably sweet part: she decided we should have a toast, so she found some plastic wine glasses and we toasted with elderflower sparkly soda. It was delicious! I think I found my new uber special nonboozy drink. (It has some cane sugar though).

It was awesome! But now I'm roasting broccoli because it's time to get back to mostly paleoriffic eating.

Have a good day, folks!
1Dayatatyme (06-23-2014), LDT (06-22-2014), Muunray (06-24-2014), Soberpotamus (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  
LDT

. I think I might be sorry I asked, wehav....oh the pain of it all.

Definitely checking out that sparkly soda once I'm done with W30. I'm right now drinking
sparkly water with a hunch of frozen watermelon in it, trying to convince myself that it's every bit as good as a glass of delicious strawberry lemonade.... I'm not yet feeling the love.

So I've been reading different blogs by people at various stages of their professed "Whole30s"..... Some of them are "cheating" occasionally with cake....some are drinking alcohol during their whole30s..... Yet they are still "on Whole30"..... Guess it shouldn't bother me, but I have found it amusing at the different interpretations of what a true W30 should be. Not sure I have been completely 100%, but if I haven't been, it's only because something undeclared or hidden was in whatever I ate. It's not for lack of trying.
1Dayatatyme (06-23-2014), Soberpotamus (06-22-2014), wehav2day (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Well, y'all... I typed a six paragraph post and lost it all So disgusted. Not sure I can gather my thoughts and re-write it. That just really irks me. I know better than to write a long post without copying to clipboard but it slipped my mind.

Wehav... sounds truly awesome. Glad you had an awesome b-day.

Ugh. I'm going to come back later to re-write that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-23-2014), LDT (06-22-2014), wehav2day (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

My post just disappeared too as I was posting it... Sr acting wierd today, at least with iOS...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-23-2014), Soberpotamus (06-23-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by wehav2day View Post
Oreo stuffed donuts with house made bailey's and cream ice cream
Wowzer!!!!!!!!!! I think I'm in love!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-23-2014), Soberpotamus (06-23-2014), wehav2day (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Glad the pancakes turned out well Jennie and 1Day! Makes me hungry for them.

Happy Bday Wehav. I saw the LDT posted it was your Bday, but I wanted to wait to hear it from you in case it was just a way for me to wish you a happy Bday when it really wasn't your Bday in a southern lady's attempt to get satisfaction by making me look stupid. Your Bday meal sounds amazing!

LDT - Yeah, your Whole 30 this time has been flying by, for me anyway. I can't believe how fast time is going. I don't get why people have to so blatantly cheat on a Whole 30 (talking about the people in your post, not you). You cannot have cake or alcohol on it. This isn't debatable. Just do some other challenge if you want to have those things and are unwilling to give them up.

I fasted for about 17 hours. Didn't mean to go that long, just got busy. Today I...worked on my wife's brakes, worked on our chicken coup, mowed a bit with the tractor, checked out the gutters, shot my gun, shot my bow, played with the kids. Very busy day off.

Grilled some steak and brats. Had it with some mushrooms and onions, and some yam hash. Was good. Not great, but good.

My wife did a big weekly grocery run. I was hoping she's get me something bad as a treat without my asking for something (so I could pretend I didn't want it), like chips or trail mix (or both!). No go...she stuck to out healthy things. She is doing a challenge with her sister. Not sure what it is, but its close to Paleo.

Anyway, so no yummy treats for me. Been munching on almonds, broccoli, and some strawberries.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-23-2014), LDT (06-22-2014), Soberpotamus (06-23-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Oh ghostly, they were divine... And the ice cream was amazing. Who am I to turn down house made ice cream?

Tonight was more normal-ish. Had paleo orange chicken on cauliflower rice. But I also made paleo brownies. I know, they may be paleo but they are still brownies... Well technically cupcakes, but I couldn't be bothered to put the batter in a muffin tin. Ldt for future reference: paleo espresso chocolate cupcakes from paleoomg. Yum!
1Dayatatyme (06-23-2014), Ghostly (06-22-2014), LDT (06-22-2014), Soberpotamus (06-23-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Haha ghostly. Yep, really am officially older lol. That ldt is crafty though! Lol

So your wife is keeping both of you on the straight and narrow, good for her. J is a total food enabler. Three days into my whole 30 I was concerned about making it through a friends wedding brunch, j said just quit now and have some ice cream. Lol I think she liked me fat! But now she sees how much better I feel so she's cool.
1Dayatatyme (06-23-2014), Ghostly (06-22-2014), MidnightBlue (06-23-2014), Soberpotamus (06-23-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  
LDT

I'm making a list wehav...trust me on that one...check out what I posted on FB today.

And ghostly...what southern lady would try to make you look stupid......you shouldn't talk about joygirl like that when she's not here to defend herself.

So about the only snacks I've had on W30 are cashews and raisins. I..am..so..sick..of cashews and raisins.

The produce guy at my grocery store is cool....when I walk in he makes a bee line for me to tell me what he's got on sale. He saves stuff for me....sends me to other stores if their produce is priced better.....so today he said on July 4th he would have a sale on......CORN ON THE COB!!! $.10 a cob.....Can you believe it? I haven't had corn in over a year, and all of a sudden, since he said that, all I want is corn.......Too bad I'll be out of town on the boat. But I'm sure they'll have corn where we're going because there are huge farmer's markets there.....either way, there is a cob of corn with my name on it.

Day 22 DONE! Nite all
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-23-2014), Ghostly (06-22-2014), MidnightBlue (06-23-2014), Soberpotamus (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  
LDT

Hey guys and gals....

Day 23 almost over ..... So far today I've just grabbed leftovers out of the fridge...I also sautéed some spinach for lunch and threw some radishes and a fried egg on top.... Tonight dinner is tomato meat sauce in spaghetti squash..... I made the sauce and the meat is 50% grass fed, the other 50% is just some breakfast sausage I chunked in the mixture..... I Doubt it's grass fed but it's the best I could do. I did find out that the health mart in my town carries coconut aminos , so I'm getting that tomorrow.

Had an awesome yoga class this morning. I really needed it.
1Dayatatyme (06-23-2014), MidnightBlue (06-23-2014), Soberpotamus (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Heaters)

I am still here. Though nutrition was quite hectic. Well, for me hectic. I've started eating bread almost on daily basis, and it is not good for me. Still haven't tried to make Paleo bread.

I've been freaking out with anxiety the last few days - about posting the ad for selling my car. I won't dwell on the whole story, but all this is pretty emotional for me. Well, on Sunday I finally did it. Now waiting for some good buyer to show up)

Wehave - My belated congrats on your Bday!

LDT - I am not a big expert on Whole30, but I think that cheating with a cake now and then kind of ruins the whole idea, so to speak.

SJ - Yeah, boxing is interesting) I started it about a year ago, last July precisely. First I didn't intend to do "real" boxing, was more looking for an alternative intensive workout because I got tired of all the same cardio, etc.

So, when I came to my first class, and the trainer started talking about defense, and I that I should protect my chin all the time because it's the most vulnerable part and you can be easily knocked out if some jab lands there, I thought: "What in the world is he talking about? I don't need this".

Actually, my start was quite challenging. I was the only girl in the class (and still the only girl). Other guys in my class was somewhat experienced in boxing, while I was a complete rookie. When my trainer saw me first he made square eyes and I could read on his face: "What I am going to do with this blond?". Anyway, when I survived a warm-up which comprises some jumping, sprinting, regular push-ups, knuckle push-ups, etc., his eyes kind of got back to normal.

So, next month I was standing in front of the mirror practicing some basic movements. Let alone footwork - I never imagined it is so hard to master. Yes, in the very beginning it was not much fun at all. And the guys were giggling looking at me with my awkward movements. Sometimes I felt quite uncomfortable, and had little wish to go there again, but - no way I will give up)

After, may be three weeks, the trainer told me that I am ready to work a bag, it's time to buy wraps and bag gloves (was still way too early for sparring gloves).

After some time the trainer and other guys got it - I am not going to quit) They got used to me.

Maybe, one more month later I started sparring. With guys) Quite adrenalin-rushing venture, I should say. I got some pretty hard jabs landed on my face. Then I got everything my trainer told me about defense.

The trainer told me that if some girl finally joins us, he would be afraid to let her sparring with me - my right hand is so good I can knock down easily.

I once got my nose bleeding - for the first time in my life. But not in sparring. While doing exercises with a medicine ball. We do a lot of exercises with it - good for reaction, total physique. So, we were throwing the ball to each other with my trainer. Somehow I managed to think about something else at the moment (woman!). I got punished immediately - 3 kg ball landed right on my face. My, it hurt.

I absolutely love it now. And it feels soooo great when some new guy comes to the class, and the trainer tells him: "See, she is doing it right". Also, when we are doing abs at the end of the workout, I can outperform almost all the guys at my class.

I am watching boxing now - it turned out to be fun when I understand what they are doing)

In April there was local boxing competition in our fitness club, and my trainers ( I have two now) almost enlisted me. Then we finally decided it's a little bit early,

Well, I can dwell for a long time on boxing now)

To sum it up - good intensive workout for all muscles. Lots of fun. But sometimes comes with a price if you start real sparring.

Ok, Heaters)

My best healthy wishes to all.

See you later.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-24-2014), AG2013 (06-24-2014), Ghostly (06-24-2014), LDT (06-23-2014), Soberpotamus (06-23-2014), wehav2day (06-24-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

MB, that is so inspiring Reading your boxing training story put a big smile on my face! That is so awesome. Would really like to see you in action. Bet you are kick ass I'm not and never have been into team sports, so I've always gravitated toward solo sports like tennis, running, kayaking, etc. Boxing has crossed my mind as an option a few times, but I've never come close to following up on it. I might rethink this. You've really inspired me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (06-24-2014), wehav2day (06-24-2014)