Blogs

Kicking Asphalt Part 19

Old 06-01-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Ok so this weekend it heated up to more normal temperatures. Makes for some beautiful early morning rides though.
Yesterday headed out for a 23 miler in my favorite canyon and this morning..............." Groundhog Day" same exact ride. It is my favorite but still exact duplicate two days in a row is a little lazy. Honestly more focused on some rattling and creaking noises on one of my bikes along with ,new shoes and cleat positions that I'm trying to resolve than worried or focused on routes.
Another note wanted to share something I spotted couple days ago you might like..........
"When people say "Recovery" , you typically think of returning to the way things were before your illness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Santiago For This Useful Post:
veryready (06-02-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Yesterday I did a 23 mile road ride and today.............ground hog day. The same exact ride. That might be a first...but actually I am trying to figure out some noises on one of my bikes as well as working through some news shoes and new clear placement. In short more focused on those things vs sceneray and routes.
More importantly wanted to share something I came across a few days ago and I think you may like ........
veryready (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Great morning ride today. 20 miles/3k feet. Really one of my favorite rides. Got a new front tire. Really love it. I am a conservative descender, but pr'd all my descents and I have done this ride a lot. GP-4Season. Got a little tread for the IronHorse but I will keep it on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to veryready For This Useful Post:
advbike (06-03-2015), Santiago (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

OK so apologies for the duplicate ......half finished posts yesterday. I was apparently very challenged trying to cut and paste in an attachment. Will see if anyone other than VR notices!
I love the GP 4 seasons......only tire I have ridden for past 5 years on all my bikes.
Not cheap, but all the benefits of a GP Gatorkin in dang near a GP 4000 weight class. Love them.
OK........Here is what I was trying to share yesterday......

"When people say " recovery", you typically think of returning to how you were before your illness. But there is no going back. You do not merely recover, but reinvent yourself. You become something completely different from what you were before. "
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Santiago For This Useful Post:
advbike (06-03-2015), veryready (06-04-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Knock, knock... Can I come in?

Long time not visiting here. I started my recovery journey in Sept 2010 and I think my first post to Sober Recovery was on Kicking Asphalt chapter 5 in 2010. I've seen some of you here and there and I am very glad that this thread is still alive 5+ years later.

I am currently on week 4..... of my new fineness regime. Sobriety in check, I let myself slack over the past couple of years on the fitness front and now I have a strong desire to get back to the shape I was in 2.5 years ago on the dawn of my 60th birthday.

I work long hours in front of a computer, so I force myself to do something physical every morning. I still walk, jog, bike and go to the gym somewhat regularly, but I just don't have the focus I had in years past. A couple of pounds here, a couple more the next year a then a few more can add up to 10 really easy when I'm sitting on my [email protected]@ 12 to 14 hours a day. Then another 3 or 4 recently, and ouch, time to buy new clothes. I hate it.

Something is missing from my "program", and just cant put my finger on it. I'm hoping that by coming here everyday, I can get to know some of you better and who knows, if someone is in the same shoes I'm in, we can take the journey together.

Im out to deflate a min 15 lbs by the middle of September but 20 would be ideal (black tie affair and I refuse to rent or buy a new tux). My plan is to continue to eat clean , hit the gym 2 times per week (bad shoulder keeps me from doing more), and kick some asphalt each and every morning before going to the office. I've got 15 weeks.

Yesterday was a 20 mile bike workout. 5 laps around a 4.1 mile loop in a recreational island. One way road, no stop sign, traffic light or other distractions. Time trial mode, put in gear and go as fast as I can for a bit over an hour.

Monday and this morning, 5.5 mile animated walk on my hilly course. Stop watch in hand. I'm either going up or coming down for an hour 20 on a loop around my house.

Later...... TDC
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomdecel For This Useful Post:
advbike (06-03-2015), Ghostly (06-03-2015), Santiago (06-04-2015), veryready (06-04-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey Tom! So good to hear from you...been a long time since I read "animated walk." Good to hear you're doing well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
tomdecel (06-04-2015), veryready (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

My favorite morning ride again today. Getting my legs back a little. Read an interesting article yesterday. I always feel like my limit is my quads and not my heart rate. My HR can often be very low on very hard climbs. Sounds like this is common for runners who bike and there have actually been studies on this. Bottom line is that runners have the cardio, but not the quad strength of pure bikers. Pretty interesting, but the bottom line for compensation was basically to ride more and ride hills. Have a good day folks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to veryready For This Useful Post:
advbike (06-05-2015), Ghostly (06-04-2015), Santiago (06-07-2015), tomdecel (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
Hey Tom! So good to hear from you...been a long time since I read "animated walk." Good to hear you're doing well.
Why, thank you Mr. Ghost. Nice to see you too. How is the family? Are you still doing insurmountable amount of headstand push-ups on brick props? That "Healthy Eaters Group" thread you started 3 years ago has become a staple in this community. Congratulations.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Bike workout for me this morning. 20.7 miles at the island. Time trial mode but man, was it windy? I was pushing as hard as I could going into the wind and could barely make that bicycle go 16 MPH.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Something prompted me to return to this forum after a 3 year absence and post here yesterday . During my bike ride this morning it hit me. I realized that yesterday (June 3) was the anniversary of my Father's death. He died at 62.5 from a massive hearth attack. I'm 62.5 now. Scary.

I inherited my alcoholism from my Father. He died sober, but never took care of his health. He was overweight his entire adult life, never exercised and he died with a cigarette in his mouth. I am hoping I inherited the rest of my genes from my Mother. She is almost 85, lives in a senior complex with a heated pool, and swims every day, rain or shine.

Like my Jewish friends say: "Le Chaim"...... To life...... TDC.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomdecel For This Useful Post:
advbike (06-05-2015), Ghostly (06-04-2015), Santiago (06-04-2015), veryready (06-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

I have a love- hate relationship with resistance work. I can get engulfed by it for 4 or 5 weeks, multiple sessions per week, and then I won't lift a paperweight for the next 4 or 5 weeks. But I recognize the value of it, so I have programmed 2 sessions per week in my new regimen.

So far, for various reasons, I've only been able to do it once a week, and as a weird coincidence, all on Fridays. Today was the 4th Friday in a row.

I had a meeting across town at 9 AM, so my choice was to do something by my house early and then get on the freeway at 8 and spend the next one hour stuck in bumper to bumper traffic traveling the 20 miles. Or I could leave the house at 6, travel in no traffic, and go to a gym near my destination.

Success: log me in for a 40 minute date with the dumbbells and 40 minutes on the elliptical, followed by a relaxing sauna, whirlpool with plenty of time to make my meeting.

Great day everyone........ TDC
The Following User Says Thank You to tomdecel For This Useful Post:
Santiago (06-07-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Tom - Interesting about the traffic. Sounds like the opposite of here. 6pm is still the tail end of rush hour, and pretty busy. 8pm is generally much better to travel during. Why is it so busy there at 8? People going out?
Santiago (06-07-2015), tomdecel (06-06-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Amazingly got 3 rides in this week. Great ride this morning on a very popular climb. Lots of company and lots of shaved legs. Am I the only one that does not shave my legs? Everyone was looking so slick I was almost feeling self conscious.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to veryready For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (06-06-2015), Santiago (06-07-2015), Tippingpoint (06-15-2015), tomdecel (06-06-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

I was at the gym last week and this 20 something overweight guy was standing in front of the mirror in the bathroom shaving his entire upper body. Front, back, sides and top. Is this normal now? I did not stick around to see if he would shave his lower extremities. Nice you got 3 rides in Veryready.

been a long time since I read "animated walk."
Work day for me. Three meetings this morning, but got my "animated walk" into the log book first thing.

5.5 miles with plenty of ups and down to keep me honest. I love waking up at 5:30 with sunlight and out the door by 5:45.

Great weekend everyone.................TdC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomdecel For This Useful Post:
Santiago (06-07-2015), veryready (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Tom - Interesting about the traffic. ...... Why is it so busy there at 8? People going out?
Just going to work t 8 AM. I'm about 100 miles south of Los Angeles, but man, the traffic lately is just as bad here. I used to schedule meeting anytime after 8 AM on any day. Not any more. I try not to schedule anything before 10 AM if it is across town to have plenty of time to get there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Day 28 for me.......28 workouts in the last 28 days.

On the bicycle, at the island again this morning. 5 laps non stop ~20.7 miles. This time the wind was coming in from the opposite direction, but I think that is just the norm for the summer months. One day from the South, the next from the North. Just a nuisance. The important thing is that I've been on the bicycle 9 times in the past 3 weeks.

Feels fantastic...... Hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend too..... TdC
Santiago (06-07-2015), veryready (06-08-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Tomdecel.....pleasure to meet you....enjoying your posts.
Funny to hear you talk about traffic. I live in a 5 minute town. If you leave at 9:50 for a 10:00 appointment you arrive 5 minutes early! But there are pluses and minuses to everything and a small town is no different.
This past Wednesday I went out for a ride with a buddy. His ancestry goes back to the basque region of the Pyrenees. And true to form he is about a buck thirty five and a beast of a climber! He is 65 and has 8 years on me, but he is so tenacious and competitive on climbs....no matter how much he is hurting...if you come up along side him just a half wheel...he digs deep and things accelerate...lunging ahead! There is never an easy ride with him if you come up along side him the fun is over and he puts the hammer down! He is feisty! He has quite the reputation.....he can't help it.....it is just who he is!
Friday I climbed( hiked) one of toughest hikes in the area with my son in law. Set a Record time up and back, but I couldn't believe how much it kicked my butt and how sore I got. Of course I am almost twice his age, but still! It is not like I don't log some pretty decent miles in my legs on my bike regularly!
Today I went out for a 23 mile ride still feeling some of that soreness in my legs, but felt good to get some more blood flow through them as well.
Hope everyone has had a good weekend.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Santiago For This Useful Post:
advbike (06-09-2015), Ghostly (06-07-2015), tomdecel (06-08-2015), veryready (06-08-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Tom - For some reason I was thinking you meant pm, not am. Duh (on my part), same situation here. 6am bypass almost all traffic, and 8am is horrible.
Santiago (06-07-2015), tomdecel (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Funny to hear you talk about traffic. I live in a 5 minute town. If you leave at 9:50 for a 10:00 appointment you arrive 5 minutes early! But there are pluses and minuses to everything and a small town is no different.
I love your 5 minute town, Santiago. I posted some pictures back in 2012. Bottom of the page.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rs-here-2.html

I actually went to ASU (last century) and must have made 10 trips to Flagstaff with friends and to go tubing in the river but never to Sedona. My wife is the one that turned me on to it this century. Been there several times. Love the sunsets.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
At the gym this morning. I really want to try to make it in twice a week, so I got everything ready last night. All I had to do is wake up early enough, push the button on the coffee machine, feed the fat beagle, bathroom, scale, and out the door in less than 15 minutes without a chance to think about it.

This time 45 minutes of pulling exercises on the cable machines, and 40 minutes on the elliptical. I'm trying to give myself 2 or 3 days in between weight workouts to get plenty of chance to recover and not hurt that darn shoulder. If I can stick to Mondays and Fridays I will be OK.

Great day everyone.................TdC
The Following User Says Thank You to tomdecel For This Useful Post:
Santiago (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Little disagreement between my head and my legs yesterday. I had a bike workout programmed for the morning, but I did not sleep very well (stomach ache) so I was up Monday night between 2 and 5 AM +/-. I went back to sleep, but by the time it was time to spring out of bed, my head said "go", but my legs said "not today"

Long story short, I put on my New Balances instead and stormed out of the house for an hour's walk anyway. 4 miles, but on my flat route. My minimalist workout. Saved the day.

This morning, different story. Got up at 5:15, out the door at 5:45. I did yesterdays ride today. Log me in for a 20.7 mile, (5) laps around the island workout.
Santiago (06-10-2015), veryready (06-11-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

This morning a pending 6:15am ride with c purple buddies. Pending bc of potential rain which never happens here in June. However this year remnants of the recent tropical store off off the coast.
Just to give you an idea I saw on Phoenix news last night they got ".31 inches" of rain down in the valley.......which was a record over the previous record of a " trace" of rain! How ridiculous is that!?
Anyway we decided to go out and had a few sprinkles here and there.on the final climb of day we got to top and the skies opened up! I haven't got caught like that in forever ...since I used to live back in wisconsin. Anyway our core temperatures were up and it was actually kinda fun once you were already soaked.
Got about 23 miles in before breakfast and work.
Tomdecel .....without even getting into optimum breaks for recovery, thought I would throw out a suggestion of
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Santiago For This Useful Post:
tomdecel (06-10-2015), veryready (06-11-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Sorry.....cancel that suggestion......never mind I meant to delete that off.
tomdecel (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Santiago.... I think we sent you that system. No rain here yesterday but it was sure muggy Monday night. .

Funny story: My wife is in professional sales. She is a top producer in her company and also county-wide. She "won" a trip to Cabo San Lucas from a vendor. Problem is we have been to Mexico 3 times in the last 5 months on our own and I was not looking for another distraction from my work life, even if it was a free trinket. It never really is.

So my wife offered the trip to her boss and her husband, perfectly fine with me since I'm not a Cabo fan, except that it was for this past week. They got to Cabo Monday and had two great days. The rest of the time they were locked in because of the hurricane. By the time they returned Saturday, the whole town was boarded up. Glad we did not go.
Santiago (06-10-2015), veryready (06-11-2015)