Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group Part 11

Old 05-02-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
LDT

So I made the Paleo pot pie....it was good....but labor intensive....ya got really love and crave chicken pot pie in order to justify the time spent making the Paleo version. The pot pies I made in my former life were delicious , quick, and full of stuff I don't really eat any longer. Oh well.....

MB...why can't you eat dates? Is it the sugar content? ( I ask, as I'm eating raisins at this exact moment).

Yoga was so good today...an extreme, sweaty, cardio, thigh burning practice. My teacher is 8 months pregnant, but you'd never know it.

Tonight's dinner......shrimp salad ala/husband.
The Following User Says Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-03-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Mb I hope you like the fish! I'm sure it doesn't have to be mahi mahi, but that's darned good... What's wrong with dates and peanuts? well peanuts not paleo if you are doing paleo...

Paleo pot pie? Lol!! That just sounds freaky. I say wait until you have a craving and just go for the real deal. Some things aren't meant to be paleoified. Like chickpea curry. And maybe pot pie. hey ldt I have a yoga inquiry... J did he Lowe yoga with me to other but had to stop because she got nauseous. Apparently it happened yesterday too but not as bad. And it happens when she does weights, but not cardio. Any idea what might cause that? The internet says she might be pregnant... she likes to drink hot tea with milk just before.

Gilmer, how's it going? Glad you are still loving the kale. Your body should get used to it. I eat half a head of broccoli everyday on my lunch salad and then keep eating cauliflower rice (or more roasted broccoli) for dinner, with no problems. Except for once early in the whole30 when I ate a TON of cauliflower rice. This might not be polite but I'll tell you anyway... I tooted in my car and let's just say you would have thought there was fresh cauliflower in my car.... I had to let up after that. Speaking of cauliflower rice...

Today's menu:
Breakfast: shroom, bell pepper and scallion fritata with salsa. My avo wasn't ripe yet, boooo. Which also meant no avo in my-
Lunch: saaaaallllllaaaad
Dinner: madhur jaffrey's shrimp curry with cauliflower rice. I love this curry, and realized a couple weeks ago I just have to omit the sugar to make it paleo. The sugar was useless anyway. Good stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
bloss (05-02-2014), Gilmer (05-03-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
LDT

Oh, she's definitely preggers, wehav ........ Seriously though , that use to happen to me a lot. It's part of the reason I stopped eating breakfast ( well that, and the fact that I don't usually eat breakfast lol).....I get nauseated if I eat before yoga. I'm much better on an empty stomach , or just drinking a green smoothie before class. I've just always attributed that to the whole yoga detox thing. If J is only drinking hot tea before her practice, then everything I just said is null and void. Oh, and I never got nauseated when I use to run.

"Tooted" in your car?? . You know, I think that is a common side effect for those of us that eat more plants than the average person. Personally.....I've never ( ahem) take so much Gas-X in my life......Ok, that was my indelicate fun fact of the year.

Hi Ghostly,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
bloss (05-02-2014), Gilmer (05-03-2014), wehav2day (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Yeah she had an empty stomach. Except the tea, which she claims as a necessity by being English. Yeah I'm going with pregnant. Better convert the extra room... Lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
bloss (05-02-2014), Gilmer (05-03-2014), LDT (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 10:15 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Heaters)

So, I didn't eat ANYTHING yesterday! Called it an early night and got up at about 5 a.m.) Made myself a green smoothy of spinach, parsley, celery, cucumber, and green apple. It was not that bad as I expected it to taste). Now making myself pancakes with low-fat cottage cheese, oatmeal, egg, cinnamon, raisins and blackberries).

LTD - There is absolutely nothing wrong with dates! What is wrong is the amount I eat. Addictive personality, I suppose. Once I start eating them, I can easily pack away the whole pack of 250 g. And, considering they are quite high in calories and sugar, I feel like I am having "sugar hangover" next day.

I do hope that some lucky day I will be able just to have 3-4 and stop)

Paleo pot pie? Every time I log in here, I learn something new (I don't even know what is pot pie to begin with)))

Wehav - ))))) I hope you were alone in your car)

Gilmer - How is it going?

See you later, Heaters)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
bloss (05-02-2014), Gilmer (05-03-2014), LDT (05-03-2014), wehav2day (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
LDT

Hey Heaters,

Just a quick good morning before we head out to go fishing.

MB, chicken pot pie is really just a mixture of chicken and vegetables in a cream sauce, often cooked in a pie plate or individual ramekins, with a crust on top. I made the "cream" sauce out of puréed cauliflower, and made the pie crust out of almond flour and arrow root (which was actually quite good ) ...... The problem was 1.) The puréed cauliflower just didn't replace my old way of making the sauce and 2.) The dish took too damn long to make. ...... No matter what, Ya gotta COOK with Paleo. Just no way around it. There is no such thing as fast food with Paleo.

Last night's dinner, however, was rather quick......We made a fried shrimp salad. It was delicious. Hopefully we will get lucky and have fresh fish for dinner tonight.

I know what you mean about the sugar hangover. I think I had one the day after Easter.

Hey wehav..... How does Aunt LDT sound to you?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-03-2014), wehav2day (05-04-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I had a green smoothie yesterday and some mashed cauliflower for dinner. Difficult to break free of sweets, but I've got to do it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
LDT (05-03-2014), wehav2day (05-04-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

My powdered kale just arrived! I'm on my way down to have a smoothie, then exercise.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Mb, today's menu sounds awesome! And yes I was alone in the car, lol!

Auntie ldt is perfect!! I was just thinking I'd ask if you want to be an aunt, lol! I'm sure you and jeni are probably the best aunts ever. oh and I meant to congratulate you before on your stellar ability to read right through my autocorrect silliness straight to "power yoga."
Oh and let me know what you and mr. Ldt catch, I'll be right down.

Gilmer, it's hard to slay the sugar dragon but starving her makes her weak. You are doing great!!!

Ghostly, bloss, sending good thoughts your way...

Well this morning we had to get going for a fundraiser plant sale at my old work. I don't run a booth anymore, but it's a good time and I like to see them get the money. So I didn't do my normal weekend hash.

Today's menu:
Breakfast: ramps, shiitakes and eggs. Deeeelicious!
Didn't stick with us though... So I was getting cranky at noon. That doesn't happen like it used to, but I get cranky and tired when I feel hungry.
Lunch: leftover curry but there wasn't much. I cooked breakfast and I'm gonna cook something for dinner. I'm not gonna cook lunch too! so I resorted to a Lara bar for the first time since the first few days of whole30. It's funny how my mind keeps going back and forth. It was a Lara bar with chocolate chips. I started to feel like I shouldn't have it, then remembered I'm riding my own bike now. It was better than a bag of chips. It did the trick, I'm full. And it was delicious.

But I was gonna be real good today because I'm planning on froyo tonight. Oh well. Except for that cookie on Tuesday I've hardly had carbs all week. One cookie and one Lara bar. I'll live.

People have actually been mentioning how I look lately, that's kind of fun. When I quit drinking I suddenly looked younger, like we all do. But I was still chubby for me. Now the weight loss is apparently noticeable. Cool. I'm not gonna look very different, but apparently a little bit better. Wooohoooo!
Gilmer (05-03-2014), LDT (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

My blender did great. I am currently sipping my first homemade green smoothie! I used plain yogurt, banana, and about 1/2 c. of the kale powder. I see the problem; the texture is a little powdery and gritty. When I finish with this jar I'll just switch to real kale.

After this I'll go exercise--then off to do some copying.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

I tried to exercise, but my heart was pounding too much. I only had 3 cups of coffee a bit earlier, but lately caffeine has been unpredictable with me. I only got 3/4 of a song in. Off to shower and go copying, then hopefully a sensible dinner and some more homework, SR surfing, and some Heckle and Jeckle cartoons. I remembered them the other day and they are so ruthless they're hilarious.
LDT (05-03-2014), wehav2day (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Just got my shower. I had bought two new casual dresses in a smaller size--they fit great, and were even a little big.
LDT (05-03-2014), wehav2day (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
LDT

Well, the only thing we caught today was a long, lovely boat ride down bayous, and on the lakes....I also caught the tiniest sunburn...... It was a gorgeous day, but we got a late start just because we were enjoying a lazy morning by the pool......so no fishing today, but hitting it hard tomorrow.

I made some Paleo flat bread before we went ( which is really just like a tortilla ) and we bought some chicken salad for the boat ride. I'm sure the chicken salad had regular mayo, but oh well... It was boat food. We also ate an apple with the fold over sandwich. .

Dinner tonight is grilled cow .

Oh and breakfast was Paleo muffins, but for some reason they weren't my best. ..weird....I've made them a thousand times.,

Gilmer, I was afraid that the Kale powder would be gritty, but didn't want to say anything. I say that because I use to drink wheat grass powder ( with water ) everyday. I have a High tolerance for grit and fiber ( like I could eat my front lawn, no problem ).... But a lot of people don't like that much texture.....BTW, I use to LOVE Heckle and Jeckle!

Wehav...OF COURSE people are noticing your weight loss....whadya think anyway? Like you would start shrinking and no one would take note?? Crazy lady.
Gilmer (05-04-2014), wehav2day (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Mmmmm grilled cow.... Have fun with that!

I had a quick dinner of grilled chicken with sunshine sauce over spinach. Fast and yummy.

And froyo.

Gilmer, woohoo on the new dresses!
Gilmer (05-04-2014), LDT (05-04-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
LDT

I've never made sunshine sauce...we've made nearly every Paleo sauce but that one. How did we skip that?

Grilled cow. Man oh man .....it was deelishush!

Yesterday was basically a sightseeing trip on the boat....today we FISH!!

Chocolate chips......yeah, I ate 'em. Bought some for the Paleo chocolate chip muffins I made yesterday, and I sort of nibbled on some in the middle of the night last night. I hate that nocturnal foraging B.S.

I have a huge amount of rehearsing coming up this week for a big performance next weekend. My piano partner and I are playing a 2 piano piece with a community choir called "The Old Turtle" by Joseph Martin....... I told my partner that when I die, I want that piece played at my funeral. It's just glorious!! Anyway.....I need to be UBER healthy with as few aches and pains as possible , so this week is NO sugar at all..... Basically it will be a Whole30 week for me, as that's the only thing that really works.

No clue what today's menu is..... I'm hoping it's fresh fish.
Gilmer (05-04-2014), wehav2day (05-04-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Sunshine sauce is good, better with real ginger than powdered... I used almond butter since I can't find sunflower butter without sugar. Ou under nine bucks.

How was the fishing?

I'm gonna make paleo naan and butter chicken Tuesday I think... Well see if I've time. But it sounds awesome!!
The Following User Says Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-04-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

So excited to see the word PALEO!

I've been doing the Whole 30 with this coming Tuesday being my 30th day (weigh day!)

I love this way of eating and have found the best way (for me) to do it. I grocery shop on Saturday and cook everything for the week on Sunday. However, I am finding with now being on week 4 that I'm getting a bit bored. Always interested in new recipes.

I know that the avocado has become my best friend. Have found that cooking peas and then folding in avocado bits helps to replace the butter that I used to use.

For now I'm pretty steadfast on keeping within the Whole30 boundaries until I reach goal. I've been eyeing some Paleo recipes that look yummo but are not Whole 30 compliant.

So glad to have read this thread!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LadyBlue0527 For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-04-2014), LDT (05-04-2014), wehav2day (05-04-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
LDT

Hi LadyBlue So glad you are here and CONGRATS on your Whole30. I did one in January-February and Wehav here has done at least one ( and a half, I think, right We?)

I found there are a lot of great Paleo recipes that are not entirely Whole30. That was a little frustrating during my W30, but I still stuck with it. Now I'm about 90% Paleo.....actually making a Paleo pizza as I type

We make ghee and use that for our "fat of choice". I love love love avocados. The only thing My H and I find with Paleo is that you MUST cook. There is no way around it . We don't cook on one day for the entire Week, although that is a wonderful plan. Good for you!

I look forward to your posts. This is an awesome thread....very supportive folks with lots of great ideas and recipes. Welcome to the club
Gilmer (05-04-2014), LadyBlue0527 (05-05-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Finaly happy

When i buy pasta or rice the fiber content is of great importance.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nullnaught For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-04-2014), LDT (05-04-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Went off a little today--it was my older daughter's baby shower. It was a ladies' tea format. They served strawberry scones with strawberry jam and Devonshire clotted cream. Then the hostess stood up and instructed us on the proper English order in which to spread them on the scones. Very tasty! But I got sugared out quickly. At the end of the tea the hostess passed around cupcakes with tall swirls of multicolored layers of frosting. All I could think was "GAG!" I passed on the cupcake.

But then I came home and ate pizza.

Tomorrow's a new day! I'll start with a nice kale smoothie!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
LDT (05-04-2014)