Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group Part 11

Old 04-30-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

WeHav and LDT, I have decided to tackle the hard things by going back to what worked for me: a light daily routine. I go to bed at a reasonable hour, then set my alarm for 4 am.

Immediately brush my teeth and floss, then weigh myself (got to get rid of those heavy food chunks between my teeth!). Not bad. Just five pounds heavier than my absolute lightest, but definitely much lighter than where I started from.

Go downstairs, get coffee, and eat some mozzarella cheese. Take snake oil fat-burning pills. Have a quiet time for 45 minutes, then exercise for 15 minutes on treadmill at full 12% incline (I just can't respect myself with any less). Lungs still hurt!

Surf SR awhile. GO OUT TO PANERA AND FINALLY GET KALE AND BANANA SMOOTHIE! Clerk tries to dissuade me. I say, "My friends are nagging me into it." He says, "Those are lousy friends!" Take tentative first sip. No gagging. Taste lots of banana aftertaste--good thing. Kale is not ever going to replace spinach for me, but I plan to make these smoothies a staple. They are big, slow, and filling. Good meal.

Finish the final fifteen minutes of exercise. This flies by. Cannot wait to come on here and report my progress to you guys--but my husband has disabled SR (which I request, because I tend to surf all day instead of facing schoolwork).

So I'm currently at McD's having a cup of coffee. I have a check for the accountant to deliver, then I plan a long-procrastinated trip to the supermarket. I plan to focus on the outer aisles, you guys! My goal this week will be tasty veggie recipes. My husband made one last night with carrots.

Thank you guys for believing in me. If I can stay off the sugar and stick to my routine, my mood will certainly improve.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-30-2014), LDT (04-30-2014), MidnightBlue (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Oh, and I reset my online fitness goals to reflect my starting weight, my current weight, and my goal, with the hope being 1 pound a week instead of 2. This puts me at 1350 calories a day (much more reasonable than 800) with an end weight of 135 sometime in mid-August.
bloss (04-30-2014), LDT (04-30-2014), MidnightBlue (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Morning/Afternoon everyone
Hurrah, I slept better last night. Actually ate at intervals during day, so an improvement. Getting the feelings out in the open helps to not feel so alone and overwhelmed. Today, I hope to exercise a little, see if it helps to feel more balanced.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bloss For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-01-2014), LDT (04-30-2014), MidnightBlue (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
LDT

Hey Heaters

Just wanted to let you know I'm not ignoring y'all .... I woke up with a smashing migraine and can barely see to type ..... Will get back to you a little later .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-30-2014), MidnightBlue (04-30-2014), wehav2day (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Heaters)

I am somewhat better today in terms of nutrition, though still very far from sticking to my regular healthy eating.

I think after I am done with some milk and lentils, and oatmeal that is in my fridge, I'll be back to Paleo again, because I felt better on this. I will give it another try, and maybe, just will make some adjustments to get all nutritional elements I need.

LTD - Hope your migraine will pass soon!

Wehav - Thank you for hugs)

Bloss - Glad to hear you slept better and planning to exercise.

Ghostly - Hope things are going better for you)

Gilmer - Your post almost gave me a heart attack. 800 calories Are you serious? It is not only not efficient since puts your body on "survival" mode and slows down metabolism drastically, but it is plain dangerous. Sorry to sound like preaching, but I'm just concerned.

1,200 is considered to be low minimum and It's not recommended to go lower if I'm not mistaken.

I think 1 pound a week sounds like a reasonable goal. Actually it's my goal too to lose 1 pound a week. As soon as I stop my pizza bingeing, off course, which I hope will happen tomorrow.

Wanna be my lose-one-pound-a-week-buddy?)))

My best wishes to all)

Have a great day!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-30-2014), Gilmer (05-01-2014), LDT (04-30-2014), wehav2day (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
LDT

I'm Back......I feel better, but what a lost day . This was a toilet hugging migraine. I haven't hugged a toilet since my drinking days. Not a pleasant flashback. I couldn't even go to yoga today....Wristless Wednesday

Obviously I wasn't at all concerned about what I ate today, since I could barely eat anything. Whatever would stay down is what I ate. I told H I needed comfort food for
dinner, so he's making crawfish étouffée ( over rice ).

Gilmer....I like how you're sounding right now....very determined. 1350 calories is much more doable.

Bloss.....I'm glad you slept better. Feel free to talk about any feelings you're having. This is a very supportive thread.

MB...... I really want to eat oatmeal....it's not Paleo, but every time you mention it I want it. I need to go back and real about steel cut oats. I read where it's one of the healthiest foods you can eat. Your thoughts?

Wehav....chickadee, where are you?

Ghostly..... Come back to us.

Did you know caffeine helps migraines?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-30-2014), Gilmer (05-01-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Glad you are feeling better LDT,
Never thought I had an issue with wheat, today ate some unsweeted wheat biscuit cereal, no milk, I don't do dairy and almost right away developed a runny nose, have to stay off wheat for a week and see how I feel. Have a nice evening all,
Bloss
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bloss For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-01-2014), LDT (04-30-2014), MidnightBlue (05-02-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I'm heeerrrre! That job thing keeping me busy. Then spin. Then commuting and cooking. Not at the same time.

Oh ldt, I'm sorry you had such a tough day!! Glad you are feeling better. Crawfish étouffée sounds like great comfort food.

Gilmer, great to see you energized again! I didn't catch the calorie bit, but ummm yeah anything under 1200 sounds kind of bad for your body. It seems counterintuitive that less calories could impede weight loss, but like midnight said the body can go into starvation mode and hold on to fat. Rooting for you girl!!!

Midnight, glad you are feeling better too! Yay!

Bloss, wow it is sooooo true about putting it out there. It's almost like when we admit our feelings, they get released and we are no longer burdened with them... Glad you are feeling better!

Well I've been busy at work, but otherwise pretty much same old same old.
Was finally dairy free today! Come to think of it, I was whole30 today.

Breakfast: ramps, mushrooms and eggs. Green smoothie. (Was gonna be a long time until lunch)
Lunch: the usual salad
Dinner: Asian chicken lettuce wraps
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
bloss (05-01-2014), Gilmer (05-01-2014), MidnightBlue (05-02-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
LDT

Giant...bowl...of....ice cream... At 2:30 a.m...... Yep, I ate it all and loved every bite. I was starving from the day's migraine ordeal, and I practically inhaled it. Any other day I would feel guilty about it. Today I don't....but I'm ditching the ice cream today just to make sure there is no more nocturnal eating.

It's a Beautiful day! Bacon for breakfast ..... Leftover crawfish for lunch ( on Paleo flatbread)...... Fish for dinner.

Have an awesome day. Back later, Heaters ,
bloss (05-01-2014), Gilmer (05-01-2014), MidnightBlue (05-02-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

LDT, I am so glad you are over your migraine ordeal.

MB, I would be honored to be your one pound a week buddy!

I woke up late and went to IHOP with a friend. I had a 2 x 2 x 2 breakfast. It looked like more than 2 scrambled eggs, plus two sausage links. i also ate 3/4 of 2 pancakes with syrup. It is about 550 calories at my website.

Yesterday's kale smoothie was free; however, Panera charges $4 and change for them. I can't see spending that money, so I think I'll make my own. I will order some kale powder online and pick up some bananas, and maybe some yogurt, and make a smoothie in my blender.

I read with great interest that regular ingestion of kale suppresses sugar cravings! I'm all in in that case! I must say, I've got to take beano next time before I have a smoothie--my intestines felt like a basketball!
bloss (05-01-2014), LDT (05-01-2014), MidnightBlue (05-02-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
LDT

Gilmer ..... Why not use fresh kale? It's soooo cheap. I wash and freeze mine and then just break off a few leaves for the smoothie . Avocado is also good with Kale.

I feel awesome today! Just now eating some tomatoes and leftover chicken . It's a gorgeous day in the swamp !!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
bloss (05-02-2014), Gilmer (05-02-2014), MidnightBlue (05-02-2014), wehav2day (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Ldt beat me to it gilmer, kale is cheap and the real thing is always better. glad you are digging the smoothies!

Ldt, I think your body needed that ice cream for therapeutic reasons. One of these days doctors might just find that ice cream helps just like caffeine does. Add chocolate and you would have a trifecta!

Well I'm sitting here finishing my lunch salad and contemplating dinner. Cause that's how I roll.

Today's menu:
Breakfast: mushroom fritata with salsa and avo
Lunch: saaaaallllaaaaad
Dinner: gonna be macadamia encrusted mahi mahi over spinach and mushrooms. Probably j's favorite paleo meal. That and shrimp or chicken curry over cauliflower rice.

Awesome news!!! Our very close friend/family to us, who has been battling a food addiction, went to a medical weight loss seminar and plans to enroll in a program very soon!! We were thinking "regular" weight loss, but apparently the best cases for long term success for her age and bmi are for surgery. The program is very comprehensive, and now she's contemplating the surgery. She has been there for me through all of my struggles with alcohol, she is a lovely person. Since I've been on sr and kind of in aa, she has seen me get better and we've had some heart to heart talks about the similarities of our problems.

I'm soooooo proud of her for accepting that it's bigger than she is, and seeking help!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
bloss (05-02-2014), Gilmer (05-02-2014), LDT (05-01-2014), MidnightBlue (05-02-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
LDT

^^^ and once again we find that in our weaknesses we find our strengths. Awesome news on your friend, wehav. I wish her Much success!

Ok wehav..... Must have that mahi mahi recipe.
bloss (05-02-2014), MidnightBlue (05-02-2014), wehav2day (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

oh ldt, the mahi mahi is soooooo easy!

take a couple of filets, put them on a cookie sheet or whatever you cook fish on.

chop macadamia nuts as fine as you like, i go for panko-ish with a few coarser bits. melt some coconut oil and put some on the filets. put the nuts on top, press them in a little. i like to add a little salt, pepper and garlic powder because i put garlic in EVERYTHING. :-)

put the fish in a 350 degree oven, until it's just about done 15ish to 20 minutes. then crank the oven up for a few, until the nuts get toasty. it's pretty good with pineapple and some lemon to squeeze over it.
bloss (05-02-2014), Gilmer (05-02-2014), LDT (05-01-2014), MidnightBlue (05-02-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
LDT

That sounds delicious, wehav....will give it a whirl.

I think it might be time for a YONANAS
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
bloss (05-02-2014), Gilmer (05-02-2014), MidnightBlue (05-02-2014), wehav2day (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

hahaha!!! ok girl, get those yonanas.

I am gonna try raw ice cream with banana one of these days. I hear you can make it with a blender...
bloss (05-02-2014), Gilmer (05-02-2014), LDT (05-02-2014), MidnightBlue (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

The only reason I didn't get fresh kale is because I didn't know how my blender would do with it. I assume it will pulverize the banana because I saw it work with the blender at Panera; however, at Panera they used some kind of vile kale liquid in a half-gallon jug, which I couldn't find online. So I ordered powder.

I had my second smoothie today (coughed up the $$ and took Beano beforehand). I can actually say I have grown to like it! The kale flavor no longer puts me off.

Going home to exercise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
bloss (05-02-2014), MidnightBlue (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
LDT

Yes you can make raw ice cream with a blender.....it's trickier and requires stopping and scraping down the sideways, etc. we actually burned up one of our 'magic bullets' and a 'ninja' trying to make raw ice cream ( I swear this is true). Last night we made YONANAS ( that stupid word keeps defaulting to all caps...oh well ) with frozen bananas and strawberries, but I'm actually going to try to do one of the coconut milk recipes I posted.

I'm attempting to make Paleo chicken pot pie today......I'll let you know how it goes.

I "liked" a Facebook page based solely on a few Paleo Chinese recipes that were substitutes for regular Chinese food. The site is called 'Against All Grain'....check it out .

Once again for any lurkers: THIS IS NOT A PALEO THREAD.....it's just the way I ( mostly ) eat. Feel free to jump in with your ideas.

Gilmer.....your blender will devour your fresh kale. I promise you that. Freeze it and it will last a long time. It is pennies on the dollar. If you like a little ZING in your smoothies, put in a small chunk of fresh ginger ( peeled, of course ).

This morning in yoga it's "Friday Flashback Freedom Flow"..... We're practicing to tunes from the 60-70s...... I've got the most bohemian looking yoga pants, my peace sign necklace, and hippie earrings........Oh yes...we dress the part on FFFF!
bloss (05-02-2014), Gilmer (05-02-2014), MidnightBlue (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
LDT

My green smoothie this morning:

Fresh spinach, half a cucumber, frozen watermelon, half an avocado, small slice of zucchini, water. .....
bloss (05-02-2014), Gilmer (05-02-2014), MidnightBlue (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Heaters)

Quick check-in from me.

Yesterday I bienged epically on salty peanuts. Really? Well, that didn't seem to be enough so I "polished" it with dates. WTF?!!! Today I feel just AWFUL. I feel like am having a hangover, which is quite understandable considering by body was poisoned by overeating to some extent.

My sleep was lousy. And I had to get up early to bring my car to the mechanics.

I decided give my body a break and not to eat till it asks for it - till I really feel hungry.
I also decided to "experiment" and see how I would feel working out without eating anything. Well, not bad - I think the body was still using my yesterday's "store".

I survived intensive leg workout, and then super intensive cycle class, and then stretching....

It's 9.30 p.m. - my body doesn't want food..Ok, let it be till tomorrow then...

LDT - I love your smoothie) I remember your question about oats - I will provide some ideas once my brain is free from overeating toxins.

Gilmer - So, deal! One pound a week!

Wehave - Thanks for mahi mahi recipe)

Ghostly - Hi to you!

Have a great healthy weekend, everyone.

See you later)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
bloss (05-02-2014), Gilmer (05-02-2014), LDT (05-02-2014)