Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group Part 11

Old 04-28-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Seems like whenever there are too many vegetables in the fridge, I've been eating foods which aren't great for my energy, I let emotions affect my eating, working on that...least I'm still not picking up alcohol
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bloss For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (04-29-2014), LDT (04-28-2014), MidnightBlue (04-28-2014), wehav2day (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
LDT

Yes Bloss..... We aren't drinking....that's the most Important thing. I tried to think of what kind of eater I use to be......I wasn't really a bad eater, but I do know that if I got stressed, Or sad, I just stopped eating. So when I was in my worst alcoholic spiral, food was the last thing on my mind. I got calories mostly from alcohol, lost a huge amount of weight I couldn't afford to lose and also started losing my hair. I was a mess. I have read where a lot of people gain weight when drinking, but I did just the opposite.

That was then... I find that if I stick to a healthy eating regimen, my sobriety is easier to maintain.

I made the best asparagus soup today.......I've been saving the ends of fresh asparagus when I would trim them to steam. I usually throw them away, but I kept them and that's what I used for the soup... Just the ends of the stalks....I simmered it down all night in the crock pot with onions in chicken broth. This morning I seasoned it with a little Cayenne pepper and let it cool down a bit, added a little almond milk and used my stick blender to purée it.....then I heated it back up, threw in some sliced mushrooms and pieces of asparagus tips, simmered again, topped it with bacon and hardboiled egg..... Really delicious,

Then for dinner I made roast chicken with leek gravy ...a recipe from Nom Nom Paleo.....also a crockpot dish....also very good.

Then for dessert.....YONANAS with strawberries and papaya ( mostly for h and daughter! but I did have a few bites). I tell ya, that machine is a winner for sure!!

I'm tired of cooking......tomorrow it's H's turn.

Hope you guys are good.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-28-2014), Gilmer (04-29-2014), MidnightBlue (04-28-2014), wehav2day (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Yeah bloss, you are sober and that's the most important thing!!

When I sobered up, I let myself eat whatever I liked because I needed to pick my battles. For the anniversary, I did the whole30 thing. Now I'm just trying to eat healthy.

Ldt, now I feel like a chump for composting our asparagus ends last night! I have so much to learn about the crock pot...

I'm stl waiting for that magical ice cream recipe that is über healthy, tastes great and there ain't no bananas in there.

Today's menu:
Breakfast: fritata with avo and salsa
Lunch: the usual salad
Dinner: cauliflower crust Thai chicken pizza

I haven't had a completely dairy free day since reintroducing dairy. I need to chill on that...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-28-2014), Gilmer (04-29-2014), LDT (04-28-2014), MidnightBlue (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
LDT

Wehav.....check out: My Natural Family -. and search ' 20 of the best coconut milk ice cream recipes'. There is a Mayan Vegan ice cream recipe and a strawberry coconut milk ice cream that looks awesome.

I accept checks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-28-2014), Gilmer (04-29-2014), MidnightBlue (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Heaters)

I hit my rock bottom yesterday - I had pizza....I mean real pizza, with real dough...My, I enjoyed it. I haven't had dough in ages. And now - Bang!

A couple of days ago I decided to take a break from Paleo and re-introduced oatmeal and cottage cheese. I don't know, maybe this triggered my Pizza slip.

Oh, well. Have to get myself back on track.

See you all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-29-2014), Gilmer (04-29-2014), LDT (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
LDT

Hey Heaters,

MB, you are so disciplined in your eating, I just wouldn't give a few bites of "real" pizza a 2nd thought. My H is a pizzaholic.....We've experimented with a lot of different Paleo Pizza recipes ( if you're ever interested ). Wehav also just made a killer cauliflower pizza. You don't have to deprive yourself of pizza if that's a favorite food.

Wehav...how in the world could you feel like a chump for composting the asparagus ends? I regretfully do not compost ( yet ). And I don't even know why I saved those tough ends. But I'm glad I did because simmering them down all night made them perfect and velvety. (with almond milk) for soup. I don't know what I'd do without my stick blender . I'll be eating the soup again for lunch today.

Dinner tonight is a special birthday dinner with a good friend. Going out to my favorite restaurant to eat my favorite dish.....it's a pan sautéed fish topped with lump crabmeat and a lemon/ butter/ saffron sauce. Except for the butter, it's all pretty much Paleo. They asked to meet beforehand for"drinks" and then said "I know you don't drink"...... I told them I didn't have to "drink" to meet for drinks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-29-2014), Gilmer (04-29-2014), MidnightBlue (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hey, LTD)

Thank you for support). I think I will try some Paleo Pizza. Any tips for some not-so-difficult-to-do recipe for beginners?

Your dinner sounds just killing! Enjoy!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-29-2014), Gilmer (04-29-2014), LDT (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

New day for me, trying to eat at more regular times, I tend to go all day, then realize I haven't eaten and eat too much near bed time. Of course that translates to poor sleep. I don't follow the paleo plan, but I do believe unprocessed (as much as possible) whole food is the way to go. The cauliflower pizza does sound interesting, because I enjoy pizza. I must admit, I do not eat as much pizza since I stopped drinking beer and wine. Have a great day everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bloss For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (04-29-2014), LDT (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Guys, you must be getting sick of me, but I figured I'd post and not just lurk like a coward. I am so far off the healthy eating wagon. I went out and bought sweets yesterday, hid them in my closet, and have been picking at them ever since.

I was going to go out to Panera at 6am to get the kale smoothie once and for all and start my day right, but i woke up at 9 and my granddaughter was here and hounding me. So I asked my husband to enable SR at home, and here I've stayed. I've eaten 3 cookies here, three cookies there all day. For lunch I had 1/2 cup of leftover mashed potatoes with gravy. That's been my day.

Yesterday I went down to exercise. I only got through half a song--my feet could barely keep up. i tried dialing down the incline--it was still tough. Today my hips, hamstrings and butt really hurt.

I have had trouble with school this term, too. In the past I have been exhilarated by it--this time I am baffled, so I procrastinate and eat cookies. I have gained three pounds. I figure I can keep the calories down by just cutting out meat! Ha, ha!

I am so cynical. I hate living like this. I have put myself into a depression!

Oh, wait--yesterday I ate an apple.

If anybody on this thread prays, please pray for me to shape up and fly right. If you don't pray, well, now would be a wonderful time to start! I wish LDT could reach right through the screen and slap me!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-29-2014), LDT (04-29-2014), MidnightBlue (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
LDT

And I wish I could reach through the screen and HUG you Gilmer ..... You are obviously in a rut...so what can we do to help you? I'm glad you are posting because just hiding and lurking isn't the answer ( we've all done way too much of that in our former lives ).

Whenever I get off my eating or exercise program temporarily ( because I do always eventually get back on it ) I remind myself that I'm only human.....I've worked extremely hard at my sobriety....and now my health with eating and exercise....and I've also tried to grow spiritually as well.....and if I sometimes fall off my eating wagon, I'm still about a billion % better than I was when I was drinking. If I eat junk, I just make a mental note and don't eat it the next day....or the next....and so on....I'm OK with baby steps.....I'm OK with doing the hard thing........ That's really my point I suppose. Just get OK with doing hard stuff....starting over if you have to.....getting out of your comfort zone.......Once we are OK with "deferred gratification", then everything just seems to fall in place.......Do I sound like I'm off my rocker?. (Lol).

And yes, I am a praying person ( although God and I are having a bit of a disagreement at the moment )....... I am praying for everyone on this lovely thread, everyday.

Back later to report on the birthday dinner I will no doubt adore!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-29-2014), MidnightBlue (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Oh, I missed it, LDT! Happy birthday! Thank you--you made perfect sense. I am working on schoolwork even as we speak. I am ensconced with my bedcushion drinking a diet Dr. Pepper and I have absolutely no interest in going to the closet to sneak cookies. In a few minutes I will go tell my husband about them so he can lock them up.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Gilmer, no way we are sick of you!

I've been off healthy wagon these days too - seems to be in the air. I indulged in pizza again today. Have to stop it ASAP.

I am not a praying person in conventional way, but I believe in Universal energy which connects us. So, if it's ok, I am sending you my positive healthy vibes, my re-rejuvenated determination to stick to healthy food, my passion for exercising. Do you feel it, Gilmer? Stay tuned - it's heading your way right now)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-29-2014), LDT (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Thanks, MB!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-29-2014), LDT (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey all. Thank you so much for the support. I have been lurking again for a bit. Your kind words meant a lot.

Gilmer - Sending good thoughts your way. I totally get what you mean. I hope you can get back on track.

MB - Thinking of you too. I had wonderful and glorious pizza today too. Was so good. Stupid thing was over the weekend was at a get together, and I abstained from pizza, then gave in to treats, ate horrible yesterday, and now pizza today. I should have just enjoyed pizza the other day too.

LDT - Is it your Bday? I see you're going out for a Bday celebration, but not sure its yours. If so...Happy Bday.

Wehav - Have you noticed a difference in your sinuses with gluten and/or dairy? Just curious. That's where I notice an immediate affect, especially dairy.

Its been a pretty crappy couple weeks. Eating bad makes it worse, so I'd like to get back to it. I feel like I've written that before. I'm tired and exhausted. I have so much to be grateful for. Sometimes the negative is just overwhelming.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-29-2014), Gilmer (04-29-2014), LDT (04-29-2014), MidnightBlue (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, Ghostly. I hope this coming week is better for both of us.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hey guys,
I never am completely honest about my feelings, don't want to be a downer. but if that's what it takes to start feeling better, I'm taking the plunge.
I am in the same boat, once I start eating, I always eat till overly full, I wish I could eat just till satisfied.. This has been a pattern, even with healthy food. I am embarrassed to share I used to drink instead of eat so I could lose weight, then I would drink till, well it was bad. Some days I just don't want to see food, guess I need some therapy. I still am grateful to be sober.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bloss For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (04-29-2014), LDT (04-29-2014), MidnightBlue (04-29-2014), wehav2day (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

My husband told me that after I lost weight I didn't snore anymore. Just five pounds has mad a difference. I told him where my secret stash of cookies is hidden. I am so motivated not to snore anymore!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-30-2014), Ghostly (04-29-2014), LDT (04-29-2014), MidnightBlue (04-29-2014), wehav2day (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Bloss - Glad you shared that and I think most of us relate.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-30-2014), Gilmer (04-30-2014), LDT (04-29-2014), wehav2day (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

i think we need a group hug!

((((((((((((((((bloss)))))))))))))))
(((((((((((((((Ghostly))))))))))))))
(((((((((((((((Gilmer)))))))))))))))
(((((((((((((((((midnight))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((ldt)))))))))))))))))))) (just because)

thank you for sharing, ghostly. I'm sorry for what you are going through. you know what, if pizza every night keeps you from going back to drinking, eat the flippin' pizza. if eating better makes you feel better, eat better. take care of you, man.

gilmer, sorry you are so down. you have been trying so hard for so long. I can see how it would weigh on you and at some point seem meaningless maybe? you have been doing great. when you can, you want to do something little? like part of a zumba video? no rule says you have to do it all. same with the treadmill. tell yourself 5 minutes, and go until you feel like stopping. when I was burdened with school, I would take bike ride breaks. got me out of my head for a while, got some "ya-ya's" as my mom called them out. I had that habit all the way through college. and I had plenty of college classes where I was in over my head. reading, biking, and eating tuna straight out of the can (brain food! :-) got me through it. you can do this, girl. you are awesome and have shown so much discipline and grace in the last many months. and yes, i'll pray for you. to my great treehugging hp. I go to church every day, in the forest which happens to be where I work. :-)

bloss, thank you for the share. you are not a downer! we are all here on sr to make our lives better. to do that we have to be honest and sometimes show our not so pretty sides. I couldn't do that the first time I was on here. and I relapsed. now I don't even edit my posts (sorry always for the typos :-). we are here to accept each other where we are, as we are. oh yeah, I used to eat less when I drank more, too. it's probably common, especially in women. we are all here because we used to try to drink away our emotions, our problems. it makes perfect sense that we might be inclined to do the same with food.

we can get better because we put it all out there.

midnight, I just don't have it in me to control my eating the way you do, so I would have had pizza ages ago! :-) if you enjoyed it, good, might as well! and if you have it again tomorrow you won't have undone all of your hard work. like ldt says, just pick it all back up tomorrow.

ldt, thank you for the ice cream recipes, how do you know me so well? that mayan chocolate had me written ALL over it! I wonder though, can I make coconut ice cream in my little people powered ice cream ball... or do I have to hit goodwill and hope for an ice cream maker. January would have been a better time for that. :-)

well, my eating has been hit and miss I suppose. not awful, but not fabulous. it was my newest naturalist's birthday, and my other naturalist baked cookies. I didn't have the whole30 excuse, and she gave me the puppy dog eyes because I never try her cooking, so I ate one. it was good. I swear I got a crazy sugar buzz off it.

Soooo, here's the menu:
Breakfast: the rest of cauliflower crust thai chicken pizza
lunch: you guessed it- salad
snack: 1 peanut butter and chocolate chip cookie
dinner: maki rolls from well fed cookbook. shrimp and mango... delicious!!

as for exercise, I did my daily pretty lady on the beach yoga, hiked a CRAZY group of kids around the park at work, and did power yoga in the evening.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the one day I had gluten, or if it's all the landscaping stuff I did on the weekend, but I was very stiff on Monday morning for yoga and wasn't stiff tonight, but am a little sore in the hips.

yes, ghostly, I did sniffle a little yesterday and today. I had dairy 4 days in a row and nothing. then gluten one day and sniffly the next day. guess time will tell if it was the gluten or just the pollen vortex the weather dudes are talking about around here. my allergies have been WAAAAAAAYYYY better this spring, and I'm totally crediting whole30 for that.

wow, that was a long one. sorry guys! have a wonderful evening and be kind to yourselves. you totally deserve it!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-30-2014), Ghostly (04-29-2014), Gilmer (04-30-2014), LDT (04-29-2014), MidnightBlue (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
LDT

OK...everyone just STOP apologizing for posts....DANG!! ! I love 'em all so keep 'em coming. That's what we're here for folks.

Sorry...no it's not my Bday....it was my friend's. We went out to a lovely dinner. They had a couple drinks.....I drank tonic and lime, and the equivalent of fizzy grape juice....both had sugar in them, I'm sure... It was so nice to be with friends who drink 'normally' and not crave or covet. We use to drink a lot with them....a..lot...... But they each had 2 drinks and that was it.....I wondered if they were abstaining for me, or if they both were finally concerned about their own health......Both are battling weight issues, and the husband has already had a heart attack, with additional heart problems following that attack.... Our friend asked me tonight about Paleo. I was happy to oblige

I did what I think was almost hot yoga this morning. My teacher had the room heated and I was sliding all over my mat. Maybe it wasn't officially "hot yoga", but it sure was sweaty.

To all of us here.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
bloss (04-30-2014), Ghostly (04-29-2014), Gilmer (04-30-2014), MidnightBlue (04-29-2014)