Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group Part 11

Old 05-12-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  
LDT

Sure wehav.... I've made this a bunch of times, so I'll give you my "tweaked" version of it. It's stupid easy and fast, which is perfect for me......but ya gotta have arrowroot. We have to order ours online because there is none where it live. I wouldnt really call this a flat bread as much as it is a Paleo tortilla. It makes a great wrap.

1/2 cup almond flour, 1/2 cup arrowroot, 2 egg whites, water ........ I use way more water than is called for in the recipe because I like my tortillas thinner. This is the thing you will need to experiment with to see how you like it. I eyeball it. You can start with 2 or 3 tablespoons water and just mess around with it. I'm guessing I use maybe 1/4 cup. .....after you get the consistency you like throw a pinch of sea salt or kosher salt, maybe some pepper into the mixture.....heat up about a tablespoon coconut oil in a pan on stove, pour and fry. This amount of mixture will only yield about 4 small tortillas ( or pancakes or flat bread....whatever). Let me know how it turns out. We've even used these tortillas for individual pizzas.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-13-2014), Jeni26 (05-12-2014), MidnightBlue (05-12-2014), SnoozyQ (05-12-2014), wehav2day (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Hmmmm 1:1 arrowroot and almond? That's the same ratio as the paleo naan. But it didn't have egg white. I use almond meal, that shouldn't make a difference? I'll try it after my whole10, which starts tomorrow. Or whollish10, we'll see. I gotta eat clean after this three and a half day extravaganza.

Thank you!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-13-2014), Jeni26 (05-12-2014), LDT (05-12-2014), MidnightBlue (05-12-2014), SnoozyQ (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats on 500 LDT! Don't take it for granted, but please take time to appreciate it. You are such a cool lady, especially for a Southerner (). You are an inspiration to others, and you do so many cool things. I'm glad to call you friend.

You're not boring at all Venus.

Nice grillin Wehav! Sounds amazing.

Today I fasted for over 14 hours and then broke it with Paleo pancakes post work out. My plan was to also get a big azz salad full of veggies, fat, and protein, but I got busy at work and couldn't eat till late. So I really underate in a big bad way considering I had a pretty grueling work out there. I should have had some hard boiled eggs and fruit with me, but I didn't think I'd need them.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-13-2014), Jeni26 (05-12-2014), MidnightBlue (05-12-2014), SnoozyQ (05-12-2014), wehav2day (05-13-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Just a quickie...I'm on my way to work.

LDT...congrats on 500..very cool.

V-I want to be like you when I grow up...I want to lose this sugar craving soooo bad. Tell me your secrets...

Ghostly..thoughts of drinking are to be expected I reckon. Work stress and resentment sent mine on that track last week..it SO important to share that stuff. Shine a light on it and it's more likely to fade back into the shadows. Stay strong

I'm still cooking every night. Last night I made chicken and ham with tagliatelle..definitely not paleo but not out of a packet either

Tonight I've got pork chops, carrots, broccoli, sweet potatoes and spinach...

I need ideas for breakfast.... xx
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeni26 For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-13-2014), LDT (05-12-2014), MidnightBlue (05-12-2014), SnoozyQ (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 10:39 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  
LDT

Green smoothies, Jeni
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-13-2014), MidnightBlue (05-12-2014), SnoozyQ (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Hmmm hiya guys , I'm kinda hungry now after reading this thread

:-)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnoozyQ For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-13-2014), LDT (05-12-2014), MidnightBlue (05-12-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

I have been very diligent with my green smoothies. Got to talk to my oldest son over the weekend, who is on his own. The cheapest human being I've ever known! He is eating very nutritiously and it doesn't cost him an arm and a leg. For breakfast he eats cereal and a banana. For lunch he eats a sandwich with turkey and spinach. For dinner he eats rice.

He eats to live--he doesn't live to eat.

But he still wants to take me out on a "Mother-Son Date" Wednesday night at Cracker Barrel--provided I pay! :-D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
LDT (05-13-2014), SnoozyQ (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

What are these green smoothies you speak of Gilmer dearest ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnoozyQ For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-13-2014), LDT (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

I make mine from kale, banana, and plain nonfat yogurt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
LDT (05-13-2014), SnoozyQ (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  
LDT

SNOOZY!!!!

I love how my HATZ peeps are sliding into heaters! Welcome kiddo!

Green smoothies are like drinking liquid sunshine ( IMHO )... It's a super food and a very easy way to get a ton of veggies into your system..... I change mine up all the time. This morning I will make mine with fresh Kale, avocado, papaya and maybe some cucumber....... Chunk all that into a blender with some ice and water and Voila!!!!

Green smoothies are some of Ghostly's favorite food

Hey heaters ......Snoozy had a fantastic life event happen in her family......care to share Snooz?

"Especially for a southerner......." .. Ahem, Ghostly, don't you mean I'm "cool" BECAUSE I am a Southerner?

Gilmer......Cracker Barrel use to be one of our "go-to" places when we traveled....I loved the feel of the restaurant and little country store! and I would always get the chicken and dumplings because they are really close to how my grandmother use to make them. I've often said if I had a last meal on earth, it would be the chicken and dumplings my grandmother made. They were that good.......and so, so terrible for you .

Jeni, I'm doing cartwheels over your newfound LOVE of cooking......I wish my sister would learn how. She's constantly emailing me for advice..........once for Christmas I sent her this lovely turduckhen......it's a holiday favorite for a lot of folks where I live ( Google moment here )....... It was also a very expensive piece of meat . She "cooked" it for the holiday meal for our parental units.......it turned out horrible....it wasn't even cooked inside..... She sheepishly emailed me to let me know what happened. I asked, "Well sis, did you turn your damn oven ON??" Hmmmm....She hadn't thought of that.

All I know is what I'm eating for breakfast....... More later on the rest of the day's menu.

Hope you guys are having a sunny day....I'm not, and it's messing with my mood....time to go drink some sunshine
Gilmer (05-13-2014), SnoozyQ (05-13-2014), wehav2day (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Hiya heaters :-) nice to meet you all .
My first grandson was born yesterday and it was a wonderful life event for me just hours after Mother's Day . Thanks LDT xxx

I need to change my diet , i seriously do , so i shall be coming here more frequently if you'll have me .

Tomorrow , i am on a mission to do a green smoothie and i shall report lol .

For now I'm going to have a squiz through older posts here . I'm guessing nothing contains vegemite lol !

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SnoozyQ For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (05-13-2014), Gilmer (05-13-2014), LDT (05-13-2014), MidnightBlue (05-13-2014), venuscat (05-16-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Heaters)

I've heard someone is pouring out sunshine here? Yes, please! My mood is so dark I have to turn lights on.

Snoozy - Great to see you! And congrats on your grandson!

Nutrition has been messy these days. And tomorrow is my Birthday. I will try to make some "healthy delicious treat"...We'll see.

See you all)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-13-2014), LDT (05-13-2014), SnoozyQ (05-14-2014), venuscat (05-16-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  
LDT

MB, let me be the first to wish you.......

:day9 Let's eat virtual cake I hope you are going to do something nice for yourself. My yoga teacher frequently says " Ask yourself nicely ", which is hard for me to do, but I'm getting better at it. I think you should expect nothing of yourself tomorrow....for one whole day do what feels good.... Do absolutely nothing, if that's what works..... What makes you happy? Go do that......the heck with bosses or jobs or people that might bring you down. Go grab some happiness tomorrow.

Today's menu :
Breakfast: leftover chicken thigh, green smoothie ( that was deelishush)
Lunch: big salad
Dinner : grilled steak and zucchini, sweet potato.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-13-2014), MidnightBlue (05-13-2014), SnoozyQ (05-14-2014), venuscat (05-16-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Happy birthday, midnight!!!! ((((((Mb))))))
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-13-2014), LDT (05-13-2014), MidnightBlue (05-13-2014), SnoozyQ (05-14-2014), venuscat (05-16-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Happy birthday, MB!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
LDT (05-13-2014), MidnightBlue (05-13-2014), SnoozyQ (05-14-2014), venuscat (05-16-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Heaters!

It's 4.25 a.m. my time, I wake up and can't asleep. So, it's officially birthday already)

Thank you for congrats!

LTD - Expect nothing of myself - that's great advice. I will try to be nice to myself today.

See you all later)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
LadyBlue0527 (05-13-2014), LDT (05-13-2014), SnoozyQ (05-14-2014), venuscat (05-16-2014), wehav2day (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Happy Birthday MB!

There's so much great info in this thread.

I had to share something that happened this past weekend. I've been searching for crunchy and am going to try the kale chips.

This weekend I had to go to the store and decided to mosey on over to the natural foods section. To my delight I found all natural sweet potato chips and then a combo of the same with carrot chips as well. I bought them. This was quite the learning experience. That evening we hunkered down to watch a show and I grabbed a small bowl full of the chips. I began to munch on a few and they had a great flavor. Then, I tasted it and felt it in my mouth. An aftertaste and a sensation that just wasn't palatable. I went and got the bag and read the ingredients. The first was of course, sweet potatoes and carrots. The second, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil. UGHHHHHHHHHH. ALWAYS read the label!!!!!!!!! However, I am pleased to report that whereas before this endeavor to eat better I would have sucked those chips up in a heartbeat and reveled in their goodness I have changed my way of thinking. Both my taste buds and my brain rejected them and found them to be gross. The best way I can describe it is that what I was eating felt and tasted sludgy.

It's pretty amazing that once you really get into eating this way how your body responds when you try to put crap into it. I had to brush my teeth to get what felt like a sludge coating out of my mouth.

Lesson learned!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LadyBlue0527 For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-13-2014), LDT (05-13-2014), SnoozyQ (05-14-2014), venuscat (05-16-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Yeah. My son and I are in SW Va jobhunting, and we are at a motel. We decided to have a big par-tay tonight and ordered delivery pizza. I just don't much care for doughy, greasy pizza anymore. Never thought I'd hear myself say that!

Now I have to get sick of Twix ice cream bars!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
LDT (05-13-2014), SnoozyQ (05-14-2014), venuscat (05-16-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

ldt, a chicken thigh and green smoothie. clearly, you are not a breakfast person. ;-)

snoozy, great to see you down here! congratulations on your grandson, he's beautiful!!
i picked up a lot of good ideas down here that have helped me immensely in the last few months.

maybe we should call this thread "foodies helping foodies," lol.

okay as much as i wanted froyo and the mini snickers bars that were floating around today at work, i was a good girl. Today's menu:

Breakfast: mushroom/red bell frittata with avo, salsa
lunch: the usual salad
Dinner: mostly ghostly shrimp over cauliflower rice. i added cocoa powder this time, ghostly! i wish i could tell you if it was tasty, i couldn't really taste much past the way too much cayenne i put in. oops.

Tomorrow will be more of that frittata (made it with 6 eggs, which means 3 servings. j is sooooo over frittata right now, so this one is breakfast for the rest of the week). Salad is already packed. not sure about dinner, i can't spend anymore on groceries this week and there isn't much up at j's place. she likes her frozen dinners when I'm not around, so i don't stock a bunch of perishable stuff there if i won't be there to cook it. hmmmm, gonna have to think on that one...

jeni, to kind of answer your question about planning, i have a boring approach but it works. i have basically the same thing every breakfast (some kind of frittata that i can make a few days worth at once) and same thing every lunch (salad with greens, turkey breast, roasted broccoli, and avocado or nuts of some sort with balsamic vinegar/good olive oil for dressing. then all i have to worry about is dinner.
some people do weekly cookups on sunday, i don't like doing a week's worth of stuff at once. and things i chopped on sunday taste funny to me on Friday. the main drawback to eating this way is the cooking every night, but i often look forward to it now. and simple food cooks faster.

hope that helps. too many words! lol. I'm wordy and not too many typos, must be on my laptop!

have a good night, heaters!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (05-14-2014), LDT (05-13-2014), SnoozyQ (05-14-2014), venuscat (05-16-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  
LDT

Did someone say TWIX ICE CREAM BARS??? God, I use to love those in my former life. (Sigh)

Lady.....I know that taste you are talking about. And my taste buds have changed as well. It's like once you eat clean for a while, your body b*tch slaps you when you don't.

And speaking of reading labels ......There is a movie/documentary coming out called " Fed Up." My piano student ( who is a doctor) told me about it. He said he saw the trailer and it is absolutely a MUST SEE for everyone,,... It's about how we have been DUPED with the whole sugar thing.....There is so much more sugar in our food than we could ever imagine or is on product labels.......This guy is just a "regular Joe" who decided to try vegetarianism as an experiment......then he became a vegan......and now he is so passionate about healthy eating as to incorporate alternative and holistic methods of healing in his medical,practice..... We spend half his lesson talking diet and health. ....anyway, 'Fed Up' is coming out very soon, so watch for it.

Wehav....right. Not a breakfast person unless I eat it about 4 hours after I get up...them it's brunch...but I frequently rationalize that if it's brunch, why not wait a tad later and just eat lunch ...... But sometimes by then I'm too hungry . I've never been good at preemptive eating. ...... I also can't cook for an entire week....sometimes I can't even cook for 2 days because I change my mind a lot. There are MANY times I cook something in the crockpot in the morning and by the evening, I won't eat it cause I'm not in the mood. So we cook....everyday....nearly every meal..... And I'm a wee bit tired of it.....but not enough to quit eating this way. It works for us.

I would say goodnight, but I will undoubtedly be back here during one of my nightly foragings for something that is NOT in my fridge or pantry. Sometimes I just stand there looking in, knowing it's not there ( "it" being chocolate or something similar), and on some level thinking if I just keep looking, it will magically appear. POOF!! Here you go LDT, a lovely double Dutch chocolate cake.....just for you
Gilmer (05-14-2014), SnoozyQ (05-14-2014), venuscat (05-16-2014)