Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group Part 10

Old 03-19-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Ldt, sorry about the drinking dreams they can really mess with your serenity. That crap feeling will go away. It was so smart of you to understand that they are a sign of something else stressful, not a sign you will drink.

I just had wierd dreams last night. I was dining out, still on whole30, and everytime I looked down at my plate (with my mouth full of course) there was something new on there that was not on the plan. Salad with Feta. Then ravioli. Then some kind of chocolate lava thing. Then in another dream, I was drinking a 7up! What the heck!

Good luck with your parent stress, it will work out. And your show is gonna be awesome!! Wish I could come, I'd bring you crab stuffed mushrooms to snack on.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (03-19-2014), Gilmer (03-20-2014), LDT (03-19-2014), MidnightBlue (03-20-2014), SPM0923 (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Sp, how are you today? Give yourself a break on the Girl Scout cookies. You are going through a lot of changes right now and if sugar keeps you sober, don't beat yourself up. You are awesome. It will pass.

Ghostly? How's phantom baby? so happy for you. If she gets too fussy, bring her over here. My family calls me the sandman because I can put any baby to sleep.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (03-19-2014), Gilmer (03-20-2014), LDT (03-19-2014), MidnightBlue (03-20-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Baby is doing good. She's pretty big. I will keep that in mind Wehav.

If I had access to good, affordable, seafood it would totally change my diet. So much of what several of you post about sounds so good, and is so foreign to me.

My wife went grocery shopping today. (RELAX! She has been taking it easy but wanted to get out. Plus it was good for her and our first daughter to be alone for first time since the new baby came). Ok, now that I got that preemptive response to any attacks out of the way ...When she got home it was pretty sad to see our groceries. It looked like what normal people would get (minus cereal and milk). Our house used to be the "weird" people house with our whole foods and no sugary treats. I don't want to slip back into that "processed food" life. I talked to her about it and was surprised she wasn't defensive. So hopefully we get back to it. We have some cow and a pig coming soon (already cut up...so no, not as pets ). I want to get our garden going.

I have been eating pretty bad. Again, hoping to get back to it. Wife got me donuts at the store and somehow I have resisted eating them and am going to toss them in the woods.

I have not had many drinking dreams. When I did the Whole 30 i had a lot of food dreams. They continued after I was done.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (03-20-2014), LDT (03-19-2014), MidnightBlue (03-20-2014), wehav2day (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  
LDT

And keep in mind, Ghostly that I am really good with teenagers....excellent in fact, if I do say so myself.....I wonder why that is? ( I know what you're thinking, so don't say it).

Ghost...I'm like your wife...I was out the day after I had my first baby. I couldnt' stand being cooped up. So no "attacks" from this peanut gallery.

wehav,... I like your dream. Why can't I dream about good stuff like food? Why do I dream about Jack Daniels ( when I didn't even drink Jack Daniels?)

So I'm starving, like I told you I would on this no cooking day...I heated up some soup I made, but got sidetracked by my wacko neighbor cutting down massive trees right outside my studio while I was trying to teach. ( have I mentioned how we don't exactly get along?).....I inhaled the soup and a leftover chicken leg with Paleo BBQ sauce......Tonight....still not cooking....going out like every other person I know...to a real restaurant with food you actually ORDER and don't cook yourself. Wish me luck.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (03-19-2014), Gilmer (03-20-2014), MidnightBlue (03-20-2014), wehav2day (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Ghostly, no comments about your wife going shopping. You seem like a guy who would be married to someone who knows her own mind and what she wants to do. You are having a little postpartum food fest, it will be ok.

Ldt, I hope you found more food in your freezer or just had a nice night out. You have been so busy, you deserve a nice relaxing evening! Man I wish j would actually help me cook. She cleans a lot more than I do though.

Had a pretty good day. Worked late so went in late, so I had a leisurely morning that was nice. Had a tasty breakfast and did a little beginner yoga!! That was nice. I couldn't bend as much every time, but more often than not I could. I'm setting my alarm early for tomorrow and doing it again. Thanks for your yoga suggestions ldt!!
Ghostly (03-19-2014), Gilmer (03-20-2014), LDT (03-19-2014), MidnightBlue (03-20-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Oh forgot to post menu.

Day 26, whole30:
Breakfast: crab stuffed mushroom with egg and salsa on top, yummmm!
Lunch: the usual salad, still yummy.
Dinner: chicken red curry on cauliflower rice. Not bad. I had the curry paste in my fridge for ever, and was pleasantly surprised to find it was whole30 cool. I'm so sick of saying "compliant." Never liked the term. Makes me think of the Borg from Star Trek. "I'm 7 of 9 and my food is compliant." Lol ok sorry guys I drank a lot of coffee today and I'm still a little slap happy!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome jenny11785! Yes, that is very normal with the sugar. I hope you stick around.

How are you Gilmer?

How was the dinner LDT? I don't think you have mentioned the neighbor thing. Your studio is at your home right? So this is your neighbor to your house?

Nice job with the yoga Wehav! Your breakfast sounds interesting.

Those donuts I mentioned in a previous post sat there all day, and I finally threw them out. Won that battle at least.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (03-20-2014), LDT (03-19-2014), MidnightBlue (03-20-2014), wehav2day (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  
LDT

Hey Heaters....nightly check in..

Ghostly, I have a studio in my house, and one in a music store. But Wacko lives next door to my house and....well.... Oh it's too long and stupid to get into...trust me....she's annoying (that's me being nice ).

Wehav...the term 'compliant' makes me laugh and I use it all the time now. My dog isn't compliant. My shoes aren't compliant. My students' pieces for competition aren't yet COMPLIANT!!!

Dinner....disgusting.....went out to a chain Italian restaurant.... BLEH! We haven't been out in so long we had forgotten we actually hate that restaurant. We sat there staring at and picking at our food. H said "well that confirms it. I could probably live my whole life without eating pasta ever again." I tried to eat their salad..... Too much vinegar.....forgot to ask for dressing on the side..... My pasta/seafood dish came....the noodles were too fat....the seafood was nondescript ( y'all know how I can't stand over cooked seafood). So I sort of pushed the food around and ate 2 pieces of garlic bread...." Check please."

That was my big night out. Tomorrow ....I'm cooking again.

Calling Gilmer!!!!!!

Hi to the newbies and please come back around.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (03-19-2014), Gilmer (03-20-2014), MidnightBlue (03-20-2014), wehav2day (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Oh ldt, I can't do the Italian chains. They make a mockery of my people's food. I hate over cooked pasta as much as you hate over cooked seafood. I can picture my Sicilian father cringing at your dinner. Sorry you had to endure that!
Ghostly (03-20-2014), Gilmer (03-20-2014), LDT (03-20-2014), MidnightBlue (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  
LDT

^^ that should show you how long it's been since we've been to that stupid restaurant, wehav..... You should have talked me out of it...... UGH! Never again. I LOVE Italian food, but if it all tasted like what we had last night I would never touch it again.

So ghostly....I'm reading that I can eat some rice if I soak and "ferment" it?? Is that right?

Today I'm cooking something I've never cooked before.....I don't even know what it is yet. Will post later
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (03-20-2014), Gilmer (03-20-2014), MidnightBlue (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, all)

I've decided to pop in to see how my old friends are doing)

You won't believe but somewhat about 10 days ago I ventured myself into this whole food challenge. I've never been a fan of Paleo (sorry, guys and gals who do it). For me it's still controversial. But trying almost everything to keep me from overeating I've decided to give it a shot. I kicked any processed sugars 5 months ago, but still find a way to overeat - bread, cheese, nuts, dried fruit - you name eat..

Well, it is not that bad so far. I don't miss bread, and complex carbs overall. But I do miss cottage cheese, and some other dairy. Plus, without complex carbs I feel like I am always hungry and ate about a ton of nuts, and defly overdo on dried fruits.

And considering my quite intensive workout schedule - weightlifting and about 4-5 boxing workouts a week, I wonder - how long I will last on it? Any ideas?

My today's menu was:

Breakfast - 5 egg whites, 1/2 avocado, green salad, cup of champions, 3 walnuts, coffee;

Snack during the day - a cup of blackberries, 1/2 banana, 1 little persimmon, some nuts, dried fruits (dates, dried apricots, prunes, raisins);

Lunch - turkey breast, brussels sprouts, peas, olive oil, some walnuts;

Dinner - 100 g of tofu.

Nice to see you all again)

Have a good day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (03-20-2014), Gilmer (03-20-2014), LDT (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  
LDT

Hey MB...glad to have you back! I always like hearing about your menu. Sorry to say I have no clue about what to eat for your life style. What does it take to support kick boxing? I only know how to support yoga and walking/hiking ( and soon to be biking when the weather permits).

Yeah, Paleo is maybe still a little controversial for some, but for me and H it just works. If you could see how he has turned his health around you wouldn't believe it. Even his docs are shocked. I don't really eat dried fruit ( except for banana chips, which I adore). And I've discovered that too many nuts doesn't sit well with me. I am feeling the need to expand my diet some, just for variety's sake....ergo my reading on soaked nuts and grains. Are you saying you are doing Paleo right now on a trial basis?

ands speaking of walking....the lake is calling......
Gilmer (03-20-2014), MidnightBlue (03-20-2014), wehav2day (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thanks, LDT)

Maybe, I should check in some forum for Paleo boxers

Yes, exactly - I am doing Paleo right now on a trial basis. I've never thought before that I would try this, but...Sobriety made me open minded to new things, so, why not? By far I can say that I am feeling ok mostly, though excluding all the grains and dairy was quite challenging for me. And the true challenge is to get enough protein considering my lifestyle.

But I didn't suffer actually during these 10 days, and hope the rest will be ok too. As far as I understand sweet potato is ok under this regimen, so bought some today. The only issue it is not quite popular where I live and I paid about 2 bucks for one potato tuber. Ouch!

Have a great walk, my friend!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (03-20-2014), Gilmer (03-20-2014), LDT (03-20-2014), wehav2day (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

I am good today! Thanks for checking up on me! Yesterday was bad, but I am battling to take3 control again. So far so good today!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (03-20-2014), LDT (03-20-2014), MidnightBlue (03-20-2014), wehav2day (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  
LDT

Hey gals! We will all be OK!! Rough weeks come and they will go, too. I'm hanging in there. If I could only shut off my brain for a few hours....... All I can think of is the beach right now and the sound of the ocean. I did take the pup to lake and we had a nice time by the water.

YIKES MB....$2.00 a potato is ridiculous!! But I would pay it as well.... I have made a lot of great sweet potato recipes, if you are ever interested in them, let me know. Sweet potatoes are dirt cheap where I live.....get it? " dirt cheap ".... Oh, joygirl would have a field day with that corny one.
Ghostly (03-20-2014), MidnightBlue (03-20-2014), wehav2day (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Gilmer glad you are well!

Midnight, hello!! Do you over eat in your estimation maybe because you exercise so much? Maybe it's not overeating, it's what your body is burning? Just a thought... Yeah I don't consider myself a paleo gal either. I'm doing a whole30 right now though. It's more to do something kind of mentally big and to shake up my eating habits than anything else. I needed to get some self restraint back after the holidays. After this is done, I'll probably go back to green smoothies for breakfast and salads at lunch but I'm looking forward to beans, dairy and maybe even a bagel now and then.

Ldt, sorry life is so stressful right now. Glad you had a good walk, I'm never grumpy after a hike. Even if I have 25 screaming youngsters behind me the whole time, which is most of the time lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (03-20-2014), LDT (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey Midnight. Maybe dairy works for you, and you can add that back in in a while. As you know, you just need to make sure you're eating enough. The yams are a great source of carbs. I gotta think if you shop around maybe you can find a place more reasonable? Keep us posted.

I hope you're doin ok LDT! Sounds like it was good to get to the lake.

Good to hear from ya Gilmer and Wehav.

I fasted for 13 hours then had some scrambled eggs with Paleo pancakes, almond butter and some wonderfully real and sugar laden blueberry jelly. Yummy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
LDT (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hey y'all 17st 4 or 242lbs

Going down with the new job big time .. so busy in a good way .

lunch is something i stop for when i'm hungry now . rather than something to help break up the routine / boredom of the day .

cheers, m
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mecanix For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Good evening heaters!

Hope you all had a good day. Mine was fun at work today, but I was a little low energy from being too hoer to sleep last night. Think I got 5 hours if lucky.

Day 27 of whole30 menu:
Breakfast: the laaaaaat crab stuffed mushroom with an egg and salsa on top
Snack: a few olives and two bites of turkey
Lunch (late): the usual salad
Dinner: we went out to sushi. First going out meal I've had on this. It was interesting bringing my coconut aminos and getting rolls without rice. But they were pretty tasty.
Dessert: a few cashews cause dinner was not super filling.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I've never had sushi. My buddy loves it, and occasional he has it if we go out. That's my input.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
LDT (03-20-2014)