Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  
LDT

Thanks, Brad....good information there.
The Following User Says Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (01-23-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

LDT, hit craigslist. You can find some decent stuff on there. You don't need anything fancy, just get a regular blender! Probably for 50-100 $ you can find one. I have a Breville blender that I bought new for around $120 and it is MONSTER on smoothies and raw ice cream! And yes Ninjas are bullsh*t, what a stupid invention.
I just looked up tanka bars because I wanted to be shocked at how much you paid for them, and they're not as bad as I was expecting! Are they good?
Gilmer-way to go sticking to exercising!

Ghost--I tried eating yams and eggs yesterday for pre-workout, and it seemed okay, although I did just an ab video and a short run—a long run will be the true test.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (01-22-2014), Gilmer (01-22-2014), LDT (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

InP - Dates, bananas and apples have a decent amount of carbs in them. Obviously there's a lot of other choices, but those are pretty easy to transport if needed.

I have to stick up for the Ninja. We have had two totally different models.

The first one was HORRIBLE. It was a horrendous design, and it also broke. I was an expensive worthless machine.

Now we have a totally different Ninja. Has a bunch of different size cups, and you put the mixer (thing that spins the blades) on top of those cups. It works great and I love it. It was on sale for around $40!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (01-22-2014), LDT (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Hi, everybody! Sounds like everybody's having a productive day.

I had a great day exercising today after yesterday, which was really difficult and long-procrastinated. Today I did it at 9 am, and this mix of songs gave me an extra challenge in the middle, but back to my default beat for the end. I couldn't have designed it any better on purpose!

Food intake is going well. The only problem today is I was up early and had 4 coffees instead of 3.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (01-22-2014), LDT (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  
LDT

Hey thanks everyone for the blender information....,All I can say is I currently have a NutraBullet and a Ninja and I hate them both .....They are JUNK and they make me grumpy . As much as I use a blender, I need a "Monster". I will be googling this evening.

InPar.... The Tanka bars are quite tasty....It's like a thicker beef jerky with cranberries in them. It's what I'm currently grabbing as a snack when I start to feel hungry ( like after yoga....totally famished ). They are only 70 calories apiece, which beats an "energy bar" any day, right?

Gilmer....excellent job on your commitment to diet and exercise! Way to go!

I know I'm only 3 days into Whole30, but I am starting to see slight changes in mood and energy. I have not had that 2:00 p.m. slump like I usually do. I AM drinking a lot of black coffee, though..... That is never going away..... But I am not having any midnight cravings, or impulses to forage. I eat a banana before bed, and when I do wake up and feel like grabbing a "non-compliant" food ( of which I have hardly any in my house right now) I just tell myself what I did/do with alcohol.....its's not an option. Period.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (01-22-2014), Gilmer (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

LDT - Pretty cool you're already noticing some positive changes.

Nice job Glimer!

I had a pretty cool night. I organized a dinner where everyone brought something. I managed to stay compliant and still stuff my face! There were some desserts there that were tempting, but I did not waver.

So I fasted for about 13 hours then had two eggs and two bananas post work out. Then the dinner. Pretty soon some raw ice cream.

Day 13 just about in the books. No cheats.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (01-23-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
Freedom--May--2012

LDT,
Haven't posted here for a while, but felt I needed to put my two cents in on your blender dilemma.. I have owned a VitaMix for about 5 yrs.. We use it at least 4 times a day to make smoothies and other concoctions.. It looks and works as good as it did when it was brand new.. You want Almond Milk in your smoothie just drop raw almonds in and you have Almond Milk in your smoothie.. Blends everything super fast and silky smooth..
I know it is expensive, but, how many of those other blenders will you go through in 5 yrs.? Costco carries them, at the best price, and you get other options that you normally have to pay for if you order directly from the company.. Hope this was helpful.. Good luck with the whole30..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CLR24 For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (01-23-2014), Gilmer (01-23-2014), LDT (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  
LDT

CLR ..... 4 times a day? Wow! We seriously want a Vitamix, but it's just cost prohibitive right now. I am going to try to stash a little away for the next few months to get one, though. As much as we use our current pieces of junk every day, it does makes sense.

Up at 12:30 a.m....As y'all know, this is my witching hour. This is/was my favorite time to eat chocolate...Not an option, so I just ate a banana. I'm good now...back to try to get some Zzzzzzs.
Ghostly (01-23-2014), Gilmer (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Good for you for enjoying the banana, LDT!

I've been limiting myself to three meals (such as they are) with no snacks inbetween. Then a normal dinner.

LDT, stick to your Whole30! Soon you may find that your "chocolate tooth" is gone!

About an hour before bed I have to eat something with fat in it to digest my medicine. Last night my dad brought in a sweet treat that I happen to love from a Harry and David tower he got for Christmas. My husband and son are doing Atkins, so they weren't interested.

My son said to throw it away, but it was always "my precioussss." I couldn't bear to part with it! So I cut it in quarters and had a section. Not as good as I remembered--left a sickening taste in my mouth! I think I'll throw the rest away after all--I certainly don't want to develop a sweet tooth again after it seems to have finally gone!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  
LDT

Day 4 W30

Breakfast...... green smoothie

Lunch.......I mashed up some steamed cauliflower and topped it with deer meat in a tomato sauce that I had made and froze last summer when the farm grown tromatoes were abundant. Have to say...it was delicious!

Dinner......will be fried eggs topped with sauteed onion, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and bacon.

Gilmer...no worries, I'm sticking with it. I haven't had any real cravings to speak of...I haven't been hungry for even a second. I'm already losing weight. I'm eating really good food..... what's not to love, right?
Ghostly (01-23-2014), Gilmer (01-24-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey LDT good to see you having bananas , you know they make up quite a bit of my diet .

hey everyone ,

Spanish clementines are good here in the UK at the moment bought 2 kilo's today , also bought a big hand of bananas , a pineapple , 2 avocados . I've eaten about half the clementines , and a few bananas today . and two avocado's i had ripening in the cupboard .
Dinner tonight was 8 pork sausages and fried onions with mustard

Weight loss seems intermittent … bounce along just on 18 st … i guess though it has been about 4 lbs in 4 weeks so thats not too bad considering christmas was part of that . I kinda went back onto meat again this week and i've also had a couple of meals out with friends this month with manufactured food . so i'vedone ok consideing …
onwards !

Bestwishes, m
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mecanix For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (01-23-2014), Gilmer (01-24-2014), LDT (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
a sweet treat that I happen to love from a Harry and David tower
What is that? What was the treat? I didn't know your husband and son were doing Atkins. How do they like it?

Good to hear from ya Mecanix!

Glad things are going well LDT.

Same old story for me. Fast for 13, end it with post work out bananas and eggs. Then I went to a Mexican type restaurant, but I stuck to my diet. A bowl with peppers, salsa, chicken and guac.

Eating some almonds and going to have some raw ice cream.

Day 14 almost over. No cheats.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Gilmer (01-24-2014), mecanix (01-24-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  
LDT

Gilmer I have bought SOOO many things from Harry and David. I've sent several of those Towers as gifts. Glad I don't have any in the house right now.

My H has lost a little weight already this week on the W30. So far so good. I have to say I'm surprised at my lack of cravings and hunger the last few days. It just can't be this easy....surely I will go crazy in a few days??
Gilmer (01-24-2014), mecanix (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Ghostly, "my precioussss" from Harry and David is their Baklava! I didn't want to say the name, because i didn't want to cause anyone else temptation!

My husband has a rotten metabolism--plus, although he's doing Atkins, he eats like a horse portion-size-wise, so he never loses any weight. My teenage son, however, lost 40 pounds! He's my accountability partner.

If I can lose 35 pounds by the May deadline, both he and I will be going to London for the 2015 New Year's Day Parade! He'll be marching with his school's marching band, and I'll be a chaperone! The farthest away I've ever been is Quebec! Never been in Europe! Really looking forward to England!

I've lost 10 lbs. so far, and have dropped 2 pants sizes!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (01-24-2014), LDT (01-24-2014), mecanix (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  
LDT

Gilmer. I think you'll be going to London for New Years.

My husband also did Atkins once. He lost a lot of weight, but gained it back and then some. We were comparing Atkins to Whole30. There are some similarities, but he said he felt the Whole30 we are on is a little more restrictive ( which he's not entirely happy about but, Oh we'll . Atkins supposedly doesn't allow coffee, so of course I would never consider it.

Day 5, W30..... Breakfast: green smoothie, bacon, fruit, (my go to breakfast ).
Lunch: broccoli soup topped with hardboiled egg
Dinner: Seared tuna

Mecanix....I'm loving bananas right now
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (01-24-2014), Gilmer (01-24-2014), mecanix (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Me, too!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
mecanix (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

So the past few days I've been doing great, and yesterdy I even put on my old, thinner pants. I woke up at 2:30 this morning and started of with a 200 calorie piece of Baklava. Then a bowl of chili, then a wedge of cheese.

Then a cup of hot cider, and a cup of diet hot cocoa, which still had empty calories.

Then for lunch, another 200-calorie piece of Baklava, which ripped up the upper palate of my mouth--then another big bowl of chili. I am so stuffed!

I had been going spartan on my portion sizes, but on this "normal" day, I'm like a hog! And I procrastinated my exercise--now I have to wait till I digest this mound in my stomach!

Yesterday I did a super-challenging workout, so today I can't face it! I'll just have to march myself down there and do something!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (01-24-2014), LDT (01-24-2014), mecanix (01-24-2014), wehav2day (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  
LDT

So we decided to switch tuna for dinner to tuna for lunch. We are iced in down here in the swamp, with temps in the 20s....which really has nothing to do with tuna for lunch, other than we are not use to being inside a house all day and we felt like cooking......Well, after one bite of the tuna we instantly knew it was bad fish and spat it out, then threw out the entire bag of fish...Plan-B...My H decided to make Paleo mayo and make deviled eggs. (Whole30 "compliant".). H stepped into the kitchen for a minute, leaving the plate of eggs on the coffee table......momentarily forgetting our dog's history of stealing our food..... They were all gone when we came back into the room. . ...Plan C... We gave up on lunch.

We just made a pot of coffee. H said he thinks drinking coffee without creamer and sugar is "Sex with your pants on".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (01-24-2014), Gilmer (01-24-2014), wehav2day (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

ldt, sorry about your lunch woes!

I keep toying with the idea of a whole 30. now that I'm back from the eatingfest that was the trip home to California, I'm back on track with salads for lunch and started doing green smoothies for breakfast. ice cream is still my big vice...

but this coffee thing... can you have almond milk in coffee on the whole 30? ldt's husband has a point with the sex with pants on argument lol. I just can't drink black coffee without it tearing my stomach up. no sweetener, no problem. but I need something to buffer that coffee...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wehav2day For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (01-24-2014), Gilmer (01-25-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  
LDT

Wehav.... My understanding is you can have certain almond milk in your coffee. I tried it but wasn't a fan. I'm going to try coconut milk tomorrow. I never sweeten my coffee so that's not an issue with me. I'm fine with Black coffee, but my H is having a hard time adjusting to his coffee without creamer and sweetener.

I did have a moment of weakness today, right after our dog ate our lunch. I was hungry and I just wanted a piece of Paleo pie or something...... But I pushed through it, ate some grapes and waited until dinner.
Ghostly (01-24-2014), Gilmer (01-25-2014)