Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group Part 8

Old 09-23-2013, 05:16 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
LDT

Good Morning Heaters!

Yesterday's French onion soup was awesome. I didn't eat much because it was so rich. Then of course we had our 'Breaking Bad' Pizza. This time we made it with figs, goat cheese, caramelized onions and ham....Killer! Will make again, next time with a thinner crust ( my favorite ).

I've been taking Spirulina tablets, but they leave sort of an unpleasant after taste....is that normal? Does the Spirulina powder taste better?

1Day....what's the temp where up where you live right now? We were suppose to go fly fishing next month close to Winter Park, but canceled due to my wrist issue. I really am dying to go to Co.

Green smoothie this morning.....Spinach, Kale, cucumber, whatever fruit is in the fridge, and flaxseed. Lemon water first. Lunch will be Zoodles with my homemade tomatoe sauce. Dinner..... Hmmmm.....we'll see.

Have a great Monday.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
dragon12 (09-24-2013), Ghostly (09-23-2013), joygirl (09-26-2013), ReadyAtLast (09-24-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Marcher

Good morning!

LDT, that pizza sounds delish! I don't love pizza, but I'd prob love that one.

So my young son wants his favorite dinner, which is Chicken Pot Pie and broccoli. So that's an all afternoon project.
Otherwise, yogurt, smoothie, tea.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joygirl For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (09-24-2013), dragon12 (09-24-2013), Ghostly (09-23-2013), ReadyAtLast (09-24-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
LDT

joygirl....I'm not a huge pizza fan except for on sunday nights. ...... And one of my very favorite dinners ever is chicken pot pie ( want my recipe?
1Dayatatyme (09-25-2013), Ghostly (09-23-2013), joygirl (09-23-2013), ReadyAtLast (09-24-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

LDT--you make the cauliflower crust, right? Any tips/tricks? I love pizza.

Just coffee here so far.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
joygirl (09-23-2013), LDT (09-23-2013), ReadyAtLast (09-24-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Marcher

Actually, yes, I'd like your recipe for chicken pot pie, LDT. I've been making mine the same way for so long, its rather boring to me. But you know kids, they like the same thing every time. Slowly over time, I've been adding herbs to things like that to expand their palates and they like that. So maybe a new recipe would be a nice change!

good morning InPar!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joygirl For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-23-2013), LDT (09-23-2013), ReadyAtLast (09-24-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
LDT

Well, um, you called my bluff, joygirl......my "recipe" is basically an enhanced chicken pot pie recipe off the back of a box of Bisquick biscuit mix. I put my own twist on it ( like I use sour cream in addition to cream of chicken soup ), and I use a ton more chicken than is called for....but yeah, not my own recipe, really....But still really good.

My green smoothie this morning was ......a BLACK smoothie.... I mean, it was the ugliest smoothie I ever saw ( including my beet smoothie). I put a lot of blueberries in it, so that's the reason. Blueberries, spinach, kale, flaxseed, cucumber and coconut milk....not my favorite, but I still drank it.,

Dinner tonight is a smorgasbord of leftovers: Cincinatti Chili and gumbo, and then I cooked some ribs in the crockpot for our son.

InPar, my cauliflower crust is not good enough yet to share. I have made it 3 times and only once did I somewhat like it. I find that it tends to be wetter than I like and I have a hard time getting it "crispy". I'm still tweaking the recipe and will share when I've nailed it. Meanwhile, if anyone else out there has a sure fire cauliflower crust recipe, please let us know.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (09-24-2013), Ghostly (09-23-2013), InParticular (09-24-2013), joygirl (09-23-2013), ReadyAtLast (09-24-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Marcher

My sista from another mista! Where do you think I got my recipe??? I use fresh carrots and potatoes instead of whatever it was. And I unroll a CAN of Pillsbury crescent rolls over the top. But I do use some herbs (herbes de Provence) when cooking the chicken. Then it tastes more gourmet, less like Cream of chicken soup! Do you know what else is good in it? Hard boiled eggs, sliced, instead of potatoes. That's called Lenten Chicken Pie Ya'll.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joygirl For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (09-24-2013), Ghostly (09-23-2013), InParticular (09-24-2013), LDT (09-23-2013), ReadyAtLast (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Marcher

Good morning, heaters!

Today I have a menu already.
Bfst- omelet, hash browns, bacon, sausage, pancakes, waffles, and oatmeal, plus donuts.
(ok, I'm full of it. I'm having yogurt and raspberries. The above would make me puke.)

Lunch- green smoothie and maybe some soup.
dinner- pasta bolognese (on another thread we were talking Italian, so now it's on my mind!)

Ok, Planning something special for this weekend- Muffalettas!!! come on LDT, bring it on!
My muffalettas are AMAZING!
But you know what? I'm really wanting to go to New Orleans now! It's been years since I've been. I really love that place. There's a quality to it that you just don't find anywhere else. Plus, I have so many good memories from there. Def on my list now.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joygirl For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (09-24-2013), Ghostly (09-24-2013), InParticular (09-24-2013), LDT (09-24-2013), ReadyAtLast (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

One of my greatest regrets is not going to New Orleans years ago when my friends invited me along for Mardi Gras. STUPID.

I put dandelion greens in my smoothie this morning. It was really nice!

My and my bf got in a fight this morning over what we feed our dog, of all things. I don't want to give him Royal Canin anymore because it has wheat and corn gluten as main ingredients. He insists that since the friggin' vet recommended it, then it must be the best thing. Never mind that the vet gets a commission every time he sells a bag. What do you guys feed your pets? I think that to not eat wheat ourselves but feed it to our dog is hypocritical.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-24-2013), ReadyAtLast (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi y'all ,
just popping in again to say my new riegeme starts today for the rest of my days .. I hit 40 next year so im determined to be 13 st for it .. i'm planning to try for 2 1/2 to 3st by the new year .

Have told the one person in the world i feel fully accountable to , the man to whom i said "this has got to stop" about my drinking on the 3rd sept 2011 .

So there we have it , nothing but hard work , blood sweat and tears ahead .. fingers crossed the rewards will be worth it , got to play the cards delt to me in my life fully though , anything else is a cop-out ..

Will definately post again in 1 st loss time , 3 to 4 weeks (the first one always goes quick)

Bestwishes, m
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mecanix For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (09-24-2013), Ghostly (09-24-2013), InParticular (09-25-2013), joygirl (09-24-2013), ReadyAtLast (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
LDT

Believe it or not joygirl, I don't make muffalettas.....I eat them, however, if I can get a good one. But since I don't really eat bread much any more ( except weekends, peeps), I don't make a lot of sandwiches. Muffalettas are amazing....especially the ones at Central Grocery in New Orleans.....We live 3 1/2 hours from NOLA, love it and spend a lot of time there.... But I had to stay away from that city when I first got sober because (obviously) there is a gigantic drinking culture there. We kept our sailboat there for a year... That was a double whammy for me....sailors and New Orleans....not for the faint of heart....The food is FANTASTIC!! No better place to eat in the whole world ( IMHO).... except for their gumbo is not that great....(you know...that whole tomato thing joygirl is so hell bent on ).

InPar... I've had the exact conversation with my DH about what we feed our dog. For a while we would not give him anything with wheat or grain in it. Then I got lazy and fed him a top of the line grocery store dog food for a little while...stopped that and just recently bought him Evangers, which is pricey and I think has grain in it. The pet store owner recommended it because I have a high energy dog ( a retriever ) and they need more fat and protein to keep up with their physical demands. Not sure I will stay with it because he doesn't like it too much....unless I put a tablespoon of gumbo on it....gumbo without tomatoes ( he does not like tomatoes). My daughter feeds her mini Australian Shepherd Blue Buffalo, which is a terrific food for dogs....also pricey.

Dandelion Greens.... my grandmother would go in our back yard, pick them, and smother them down with bacon grease and onions....they were amazing!

Hey Mecanix....happy to see you back....Been missing you. I hope you will stick around and post often.

By the way..... I can do Mardi Gras in New Orleans sober now. I'm not hiding from that city any longer.

I've had a green smoothie today and..... and a little meat..... that's it. And I'm hungry......Tonight's dinner is a steak salad. I will sautee strips of steak, red bell pepper, onions, and zucchini and put it all on top of mixed greens.....then I will grate a little Wensleydale with cranberries cheese on top.

Raw ice cream is a must tonight.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (09-25-2013), Ghostly (09-24-2013), InParticular (09-25-2013), joygirl (09-24-2013), mecanix (09-24-2013), ReadyAtLast (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi Mecanix-I'm 40 next year too and on a strict health regime

please can I have the chicken pot pie recipe-it sounds lovely.

today I looked in the mirror and my skin looked smoother with reduced redness and thread veins less noticeable.Can cutting out sugar really make such a difference to looks as well as weight?

today I made raw banana icecream pie but used greek yoghurt instead of honey.The topping was wonderful,the base not good.Does anyone have a good recipe for a base which has no flour or sugar in it. I'm using dessicated cocount and almond meal,fruit and butter but doing something wrong as too coconuty,both in texture and taste. All help gratefully received

then I made lime, blueberry and avocado raw ice cream.It was quite good and shows how my taste buds are adapting to no sugar.

Happy heathy eating everyone
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ReadyAtLast For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-24-2013), InParticular (09-25-2013), joygirl (09-24-2013), LDT (09-24-2013), mecanix (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Marcher

Central Grocery! That's the best, and where i got my recipe. However, and I'm not boasting here or anything, I do make my own homemade olive salad. That stuff is good on anything and will make it better. Well, not anything, but nearly. And especially pizza! So I make a huge batch and keep in fridge. Not a lot of healthy in a muffaletta, so I go all out and have the white bread as well. And a Dr. Pepper. (oooohhh!)

RAL, the chicken pie includes a processed ingredient, but if you'd still
like it, let me know. And my skin is much improved since diet change. I think the smoothie must have something to do, because my skin is also super soft. Antioxidants, vitamins, minerals? I don't know. But its better.

Mecanix, I'm strict as well. Seems to work for me. But I do cheat sometimes, I'm human! ha! I wish you the best!
Ghostly (09-24-2013), LDT (09-24-2013), mecanix (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
LDT

Yes for me on the skin looking better....definitely! RAL, my pot pie is like joygirl's in that it has some processed 'stuff' in it....Thats why I haven't made it in a looooong time. I did run across a Paleo chicken pot pie recipe that I am going to try. Go to: www.health-bent.com/chicken pot pie. It looks interesting. As far as your pie crust, I know what you mean by the crust being too "Coconutty". I am not a big fan, and use it sparingly. My only suggestion would be to maybe take a look at some of Jennifer Cornbleet's raw pie crusts.....she often uses ground walnuts and dates for her pie bases. She has several YouTube videos out. Maybe she could help you out. Worth a look.

Joygirl....Central Grocery is a complete assault on the senses. I go into a sort of trance every time I walk in..... I wish everyone here could experience that place.

Time to make dinner and then it's dark cherry raw ice cream for my DH, and Papaya for me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (09-25-2013), Ghostly (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Marcher

"sailors and New Orleans....not for the faint of heart.."

Well said. Indeed.
I guess that's why I like it!!!
Ghostly (09-24-2013), LDT (09-24-2013), mecanix (09-26-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Nola

I am "down" for a trip to New Orleans... is anyone else?
I need about a month's notice to get time off of work, and do not wish to go in the hot/humid months of July/August....
is anyone else ready to tackle that city sober? I can't swear I will eat cleanly... I mean, it is New Orleans, for God's sake!
JG, anyone else, let me know!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1Dayatatyme For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-25-2013), InParticular (09-25-2013), joygirl (09-25-2013), LDT (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
LDT

1Day....you can do NOLA sober. I've done 2 Jazz Festivals there sober .... A French Quarter wedding...., several sailing trips...... My friend once texted me, "I'm in the middle of Bourbon St., on Mardi Gras Day, there's a parade going on, and I am doing it SOBER!"

NOLA Sober = Do-able........NOLA Diet =
1Dayatatyme (09-25-2013), Ghostly (09-25-2013), InParticular (09-25-2013), joygirl (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Marcher

Got that right!
I must confess, I've almost always been sober in NOLA. Twice, I think, had a drink, threw up, so yeah, lightweight here.
I am seriously thinking about going. Timing? Welllll, before Mardi Gras prob, before end of January. Oooh, my birthday! Or, after February. Spring is really nice there. LDT, meet you at central grocery and you can take me to your roadside butcher and fishmonger.

Ok, today, brfst- yogurt and nectarine, lunch-smoothie, dinner- I think grilled chicken and french green beans (or to be fancy- haricot verts).

Good day everyone!
1Dayatatyme (09-25-2013), Ghostly (09-25-2013), InParticular (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Is NOLA like a southerner's term for New Orleans? Count me in on the NOLA trip!!!! I want to see it so bad. I hear there's some pretty good coffee there too!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (09-25-2013), LDT (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey, InPar! cute avatar. NOLA is just an acronym for New Orleans, Louisiana. We used to call it "Nawlins" when I was growing up near there. Right, LDT?

Coffee is different. I'll say that. It has chicory in it, which to me is bitter. That's why you eat beignets with it, the sweetness plays against the bitter. What in the world could be better than early spring morning in New Orleans by the river at the Cafe Du Monde? The last time I was there, I met Harry Connick Jr. outside the Cafe du monde. Now, that was a good morning! Coffee with HCJ. ramble ramble Joy!

Good Lord, I've got to get down there soon!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joygirl For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (09-25-2013), LDT (09-25-2013)