Blogs

Coffee Tolerance?

Old 08-04-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coffee Tolerance?

I used to abuse speed on a daily basis. While doing this, I'd also be constantly drinking coffee. I always had to be in a go-go-go mindset.

Now, at 67 days sober, I find myself rarely drinking coffee. I didn't consciously try to phase it out, it just happened over time.

Yesterday, I randomly had two cups of coffee, and it caused a lot of restless energy, almost anxiety. Today, I went without coffee and feel more level-headed.

Has anyone had a similar experience, of suddenly not appreciating the energy burst from coffee in sobriety? I almost prefer to feel level-headed, or accept my energy levels as they are (high or low, in between, it changes every day).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gingerbear For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (08-10-2013), pinkdog (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do have to stay under 3 cups per day. And spacing those out helps. I too have really come to appreciate the more calm level-headed sober feeling and usually just one cup of coffee is enough of a boost for me. It just depends on my emotional state that day, as to whether 1 or 3 is best. Some days, I almost feel groggy so the coffee does seem to help. But I'm sure exercise does too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (08-10-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am a morning coffee drinker and have increased to amount because I read that coffee is good for your liver. Mine needs all the help it can get...lol
Old 08-04-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MatildaRose View Post
I am a morning coffee drinker and have increased to amount because I read that coffee is good for your liver. Mine needs all the help it can get...lol
A naturopathic doctor recommended hepaton-c (vitamin) for my damaged liver. I took it for a month and feel much better now.

Dandelion and licorice tea are also good for the liver.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gingerbear For This Useful Post:
MatildaRose (08-05-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I do have to stay under 3 cups per day. And spacing those out helps. I too have really come to appreciate the more calm level-headed sober feeling and usually just one cup of coffee is enough of a boost for me. It just depends on my emotional state that day, as to whether 1 or 3 is best. Some days, I almost feel groggy so the coffee does seem to help. But I'm sure exercise does too.
It's fascinating how the brain changes in sobriety. A saying is that it takes 7 years for the body to replace itself (on the cellular level)... I wonder how long it takes for the mind to re-generate?

I'm trying to ride out the groggy days. I'd rather feel a bit lazy and groggy than anxious and caffeinated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gingerbear For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (08-10-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gingerbear View Post
It's fascinating how the brain changes in sobriety. A saying is that it takes 7 years for the body to replace itself (on the cellular level)... I wonder how long it takes for the mind to re-generate?

I'm trying to ride out the groggy days. I'd rather feel a bit lazy and groggy than anxious and caffeinated.
I've read six months to 2 years. But yeah, the 7 year cellular regeneration is pretty amazing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (08-10-2013), MatildaRose (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Correction! It's hepaton-s NOT hepaton-c. I highly recommend it, or at least it worked well for my situation.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I drink coffee by the pitcher when I have sober patches. In this patch I'm currently in right now (three weeks sober today - about my longest in several years) I've been absolutely annihilating the percolator - I don't make it that strong though, or at least my dad doesn't since he is generally the one with coffee duty.

If I go to a night AA meeting though I have to stay away from it because the way they make it gets me all wired up. Kept me up real real late last weekend after only a small Styrofoam cup's worth too. More than anything I like the flavor, and I like to always be drinking since I don't smoke and never have. I guess it's sort of my cigarette you could say. I do know I need to kick it or just go full on decaf in due time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amnesiac For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (08-10-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am with you Ginger

Hey GB,
I have gotten clean from pain pills, and I now get the same reaction to coffee... very anxious and nervous after about 2 hours of a burst of energy.
During the week, I now have one cup of tea in the morning, and that is all I need. I think I was overcompensating for the dullness caused by the pain pills with coffee.
To be honest, on week-ends I do drink two cups of coffee in the morning to give me energy to clean, and know I will pay the price later in the day.
True enough today... I kinda cleaned the kitchen, and did some other chores, now the anxiety is kicking in.
I have a feeling I will soon be giving up coffee on the week-ends... isn't it weird how some of us can drink coffee without effects, and others develop a sensitivity to the caffeine?
Oh, and tonight, my sleep will not be as deep and restful due to my consumption of coffee this morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1Dayatatyme For This Useful Post:
Gingerbear (09-02-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can relate to you OP completely. When i stopped doing meth I literally couldn't tolerate any stimulant without it giving me insane anxiety. I literally had to quit everything when going through the sober process (6months- year) because my body was so sensitive to everything.

It took me awhile before I was able to handle coffee again, but now it doesn't effect me too much.
The Following User Says Thank You to TopFlight For This Useful Post:
Gingerbear (09-02-2013)