Blogs

Hypothyroidism

Old 07-22-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hypothyroidism

I've recently been told I have hypothyroidism. I have a multi-nodular goitre but two biopsies showed everything was fine and it's probably related to long term lithium therapy. The hypothyroidism is a new thing and I don't really know much about it or about what the treatment options are likely to be. I will be seeing my doctor soon but in the mean time I wondered if anyone could share their experiences and maybe tell me if they have been able to treat it without medication. I will obviously discuss it with my doctor and will take advice from him but I'd like to go in prepared so I can discuss options rather than just doing whatever he suggests without a considered discussion.

I'm a bit surprised that I have hypothyroidism because I was sent for lots of tests but we were expecting my renal tests and/or electrolytes to come back abnormal and the other tests were more just for the sake of it while I was getting bloods done anyway. I'm also only in my early 20s and I was under the impression it was more common in middle aged and older women.

I'd like to know a bit more about the symptoms people experience with hypothyroidism. I've been having oedema in my legs and stomach and I don't know if that's related. I also have extreme tiredness, dry skin and joint pain but I suffer from anorexia nervosa so it's hard to work out which symptoms are related to undereating and which are related to hypothyroidism.

Sorry for the long post! I would really just like to hear your experiences of treating and living with hypothyroidism if you don't mind sharing.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Friday13: cute avatar. I assume your doc wants to put you on a thyroid supplement? I've known people who take synthroid for hypothyroidism (not sure if the drug name is the same in England), and it's no big deal. If you're afraid it's going to have the extensive side-effects that lithium does, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

*Disclaimer: I'm not a doc, and I don't have thyroid problems. I've just known a few people with hypothyroidism and treating the condition has been relatively easy and painless for them. It sounds like you have a couple other health concerns that might or might not be implicated here, but I hope it all works out smoothly for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to AllieB For This Useful Post:
friday13 (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for replying. It's good to know that the side effects aren't likely to be too bad if I do need medication.

I saw the GP today and he's repeating the thyroid tests. I'm not a doctor but looking at the results I don't think I have hypothyroidism but rather sick euthyroidism (low T4 but normal TSH). I had this problem before when I was drinking and now I'm not really eating (haven't been for months) so I think it's malnutrition related rather than something that needs medicating. I guess I will find out soon but seeing the results on paper makes me think I won't be prescribed anything. I bet the endocrinology department will be so pleased to have me back after only just getting rid of me!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hope it goes well.

Btw -don't take the lack of replies to heart. We're none of us qualified to give medical advice here, so I imagine no-one answered because no-one has any answers.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to AllieB For This Useful Post:
friday13 (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

^I didn't expect many people to respond. Only people with hypothyroidism or with friends/family with it could really have experience so that narrows it down quite a bit!

Just to clarify I am not looking for medical advice, that's what the doctor is for. I really just wanted to hear people's experiences and what has helped them so I'm a bit more informed when I see the doctor.