Blogs

Baby steps, baby steps

Old 07-11-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Mehhh....

I have to admit, I have some issues at work taking up space in my head, and with this heat, I have had 0 motivation to exercise.

I owe a nickel for yesterday and maybe one for today, because I am getting ready to go to work.
If a miracle happens, I will walk this evening once the worst of the heat has gone, as the sun sets. I will pray for motivation, and please send out positive energy for me... I need it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1Dayatatyme For This Useful Post:
AllieB (07-11-2013), joygirl (07-11-2013), Sazzle (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Well it's too hot here to really get into exercise and I went shopping straight from work as I have no summer dresses for work.

So now I have 2 cute dresses but I owe nickel for doing diddly-squat on the activity front today.

Tomorrow is a training day, so I'll be working on my legs. In the morning I can see a bit of a peachy behind developing too from all those squats and lunges.

What do you ladies eat? Are you changing your diet at all or are you just dealing with not drinking for now? I'm trying to cut sugar & eat clean but I could do with a challenge of some sort as long as it doesn't affect my sobriety.

S x
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sazzle For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (07-11-2013), AllieB (07-11-2013), joygirl (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Ok, I owe nickels too, and I officially declare that, as of Monday, we will all get back on the stick. Anyone who gets back on the stick faster than that gets to recover 2 of their deposited nickels.

I've been doing my usual cardio stuff, but my goal was to do strength training and I keep wimping out on that. I did do 100 situps, but it took me 3 days instead of 1. "If you can, you must" never quite made it into my psyche re situps.

But, I do feel a lot stronger and better when I do strength work. I'm proud of myself, and it gives me hope that I can recover some things I love that time and my own mistakes/inaction have taken away.

Hope it cools off for everybody! I'm going to take a deep breath, remind myself why I want muscles (they're neat. they do stuff, and they look nice), and get back at it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllieB For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (07-11-2013), joygirl (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hiya, everybody! Went for a walk after dinner, down to the beach and back, estim. 1 mile total. Less than my usual at home.
Ummm...Sazzle, I started a couple of weeks ago changing my eating. Mostly I eat a lot of fruits and vegs, yogurt, small amt of lean chicken and fish, a little eggs. Cut out most fats, dairy, bread/carbs, and processed foodstuffs. But my doctor has me at this for health reasons. But while I'm on vacation, I've been eating a little extra. Like ice cream at the beach almost every day! But when I get home, I'm back at it. I have lost some weight and have been feeling better.
The Following User Says Thank You to joygirl For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (07-12-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Joygirl: impressive. (The usual routine, not the ice cream.) I'm sure the doctor's orders helped, but, heck, my doctor tells me all kinds of things, and I never listen. (Don't touch your face! Get more sun! Strengthen your knees! Stay off your feet! Quit drinking coffee! Forget about that weird other doctor who told you to stop drinking coffee! Lose a few pounds because you're an apple-type and belly weight is bad! Stop worrying about your weight, your weight is normal!) So props to you for listening!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AllieB For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (07-12-2013), joygirl (07-14-2013), safeandsound (07-17-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Tgif!

Just checking in... last night I got motivated to water my lawn, which as I have explained before, is exercise intensive, in that I have to move the hose around the yard, in and out of the house, bending running around from the front lawn to the back lawn, and to top it off I went grocery shopping, and that is definitely exercise.
And at about 9:30ish, we got a lovely little thunderstorm to cool things off a bit... it was nice and relaxing.

Getting ready to go to work... as for the question about food, I sometimes post on the healthy eating thread on this fitness forum, usually when I am eating the way I want, not eating out of my old habits.

I try and stay away from any carbs that are processed, so eat whole wheat bread, whole grain crackers, I drink almond milk, eat lean meat, I have grilled chicken several times in the last week, and love multigrain waffles with natural peanut butter for breakfast.
But I am not perfect, and sometimes will eat ice cream... that is my treat.
Hope everyone has a healthy, happy, and motivated day!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1Dayatatyme For This Useful Post:
AllieB (07-14-2013), joygirl (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey ya'll!
I'm home. Being home bites the big one. But, I lost 3 pounds!
I haven't done any exercise since Friday. Saturday was in the car allllll day. Ping goes the nickel!
Making herbal tea to sip as I clean and wash laundry. I plan to walk tonight so I'll get right back into routine. It should help my funky mood too. I hope to hear back from everyone tomorrow! We need to get back into it.
Sunday Hugs!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joygirl For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (07-16-2013), AllieB (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Marcher

Yes, I walked my brisk walk and I feel better. 2 miles. You know what else? It was easier! I could have gone another lap, but I had to come home to cook dinner. That's encouraging! Baby steps do work!
1Dayatatyme (07-16-2013), AllieB (07-14-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Marcher

check in tonight:

Brisk walk, 2 mi. No shin splints!
Should have had my herbal tea today, but just had water. I think not enough because I have a slight headache.

Hope everyone is doing well, and staying fit, hydrated and sober!
The Following User Says Thank You to joygirl For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Check in for Monday: did short cardio (2 miles up hill on treadmill), 2 sets of 15 situps, 2 sets of 15 sidejacks per side, 2 sets of 15 backwards pushups, and some lazy thigh circles.

No regular pushups, because my elbow hurt when I put my body weight on it. (I know, I'm a mess. All of my joints are wacky and I don't know why. At least the elbows are usually ok...every now and then one of them is unhappy about something.)

I'm grateful for the accountability of this board. I could have pushed quite a bit harder on my ab work, but I'm also aware that the thought of publically following through vs shirking is what got me to do my situps.

Joygirl: that's great about the 3 pounds!
1Dayatatyme (07-16-2013), joygirl (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

I have been MIA

Hello all!
I have missed a few days.. I am not making any excuses... I just choose not to exercise on the week-end, and then yesterday after work, I did not make healthy eating choices, and just vegged out.
However, it is 1:19pm here in Colorado, I am going for a walk - my goal is one hour, since it is only about 82 degrees, give or take, and then I have to be at work at 4pm.
So, I will check in again once I complete my walk.
Boy, my nickels are filling my milk bottle!! ( I am not sure I mentioned it in an earlier post, but I love those glass collectible old milk bottles, and they are great for change... so now one is for babystepper nickels!!)
AllieB (07-16-2013), joygirl (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Whew! 82 is hot! At least it's dry, though. It's high 70s here and so humid I could kayak to the mailbox.

I'm going to reverse my nickel program. Instead of dropping a nickel in for failure, I'm dropping a nickel in for successes. I can drop in more change if I work a little harder. The money in my workout jar will go to a personal treat (i.e., not bills or groceries...something fun), even if it only adds up to nice socks after a few months.
The Following User Says Thank You to AllieB For This Useful Post:
joygirl (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Back from walk!

I walked 42 minutes... the route usually takes longer, but I used my IPOd and the music had me walking faster... endorphins actually kicked in... I dont want to go to work....wahhh....
Allie B.: I like your idea!! I think what I might do is keep two milk bottles going: I will still do the nickel thing for missed babysteps, b/c it helps me feel connected to you'all... and, I will keep a milk bottle for just the purpose you, Allie, described... for me... as a mom, I am so used to giving to everyone, that it feels foreign to give to me... and this is a babysteppin' way to start to do some great self-care and self validation without a huge commitment.

Thanks, Allie.... babysteppers... have a great day!!

btw: the humidity is not too bad today, so I actually could sweat, and feel cooled by it, not suffocated.
AllieB (07-16-2013), joygirl (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey, 1day and Allie!
I'm setting up two teacups now, because I like Allie's idea too!
Good to see you guys. Ya'll. I'm trying to say "ya'll" more since moving up here, so I don't stick out so much.
Is this bad: When I go walking I like to listen to my ipod and think and clear my head. But my H has been wanting to walk with me everytime I go now. I'd rather walk alone some times, but I don't want to hurt his feelings. How do you think I should handle this?
Haven't walked yet, but plan to after dinner.
1Dayatatyme (07-16-2013), AllieB (07-17-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Two Walks!

I'm going to refrain from offering any advice on handling it, because, as a single woman who isn't friends with any of her exes, I feel incompetent to give advice on domestic diplomacy.

Makes sense to me, though. Sometimes a walk is exercise, and sometimes it meditation. (And, of course, sometimes it's both.)
1Dayatatyme (07-16-2013), joygirl (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Marcher

We talked about it, he went for a bike ride and I'm going walking now... I feel bad about it, but I know it'll be okay.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Marcher

I taught H some yoga tonight! Just the sun salutation. He was sweating! After one, he sat down and just wanted to watch me- ha!
So,
1. 30 min. yoga
2. Brisk walk, I even jogged a little stretch because I was listening to Boston and I was feeling it! 1.5 mi.
water, water, herbal tea, water!
Today is 4 months sober for me! Ta-da!!!

Stay fit, hydrated, and sober, ya'll!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Home from work..checking in

Joygirl,
It is obvious.. your husband is in love with you. It sounds like he values all the time he can spend with you, and wants to be with you as much as possible.
Aren't your kids a bit older... so that must mean you have been married for some time now.
So cute about the sun salutation.
As for the walking thing... that is tough to answer....it sounds like you felt guilty for setting boundaries around your walking time, and yet like to have this as time for you.
I think you have to be true to yourself... sometimes, we can set boundaries very mindfully so that the other person feels less abandoned.
Our culture supports the idea that, as women, when do something solely for ourselves, we are selfish or being [email protected]#ches. It feels uncomfortable when we start taking care of ourselves first.
I would think that when you need to walk alone, gently set the boundary, feel your guilt, acknowledge it, and walk alone anyway.
Over time, your guilt should lessen and hubby should get used to it... i know, i am using the "should" word (I don't really like that word). But, all my boundary setting books suggest this is what the outcome will be.
I hope you'all can work it out and both be happy.

BTW: After I posted earlier re: my walk, I did do stretching and 30 situps!

And, Joygirl, congrats on 4 months clean!!... That means on 7/18 i will have four months clean?? omg time does fly!
AllieB (07-17-2013), joygirl (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Hi, all. I'm looking for support for realistic weight-loss goals. I have 13 says sober. During those days, I have exercised every single day if you count walking. I joined Sparkpeople and started writing down what I ate 6 days ago. It looks like I'm eating too much fat now that I'm cutting down on carbs (I didn't look at Atkins, was just doing my half-**ssed version of it), but given my calories and exercise, I should have lost weight be now, almost two weeks into sobriety. I used to drink two bottles of wine at a time or the equivalent in hard alcohol! I'm also saving those calories.

So imagine my surprise when I got on the scale and I have GAINED 5 pounds. I don't mean the usual few pounds up and down--I mean 5 pounds more than I have EVER weighed. How is this possible? Maybe because I'm hydrated now? But what about the huge calorie deficit? I know muscle weighs more than fat, but I've always exercised, and I doubt I'd be gaining muscle that quickly. Help! This is a trigger to drink for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to safeandsound For This Useful Post:
joygirl (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey, safeandsound! First of all, 13 days sober is huge! Welcome!

I would have thought the calorie deficit and continued exercise would bring the poundage down, BUT remember that alcohol wrecked havoc on your body. Your metabolism may be adjusting up and down, brain chemicals up and down. I did gain some weight in early recovery too. Because I was eating food! I would say, cut back on fats and I cut out dairy also, with processed food/bread/pasta/rice/sugar. The other thing you can do is kick up your exercise a bit (the aerobic type) but don't overdo it. Your body is still healing and could be injured.
We check in here most days, whether I exercise or not. Just for accountability. We are not competitive at all. We'd love to have you check in with us!
For more tips on healthy eating, check out the healthy eating thread. I go there too.
I read research about losing weight and money, that said people lost more weight when paid. So we have 2 jars/teacups set out at our homes that we put a nickel into. One for days we exercise, the other for days we don't. See which fills up the fastest! Use your own specified time frame. The nickels you earn for exercise, buy yourself a happy! The nickels you lose for no exercise, give to charity (or me!).
Don't let this slip you up! Give your body time to reach it's new equilibrium!
Stay fit, stay hydrated, and stay sober!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joygirl For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (07-17-2013), AllieB (07-17-2013), safeandsound (07-17-2013)