Blogs

Baby steps, baby steps

Old 07-05-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

That's fantastic, Sazzle! You must feel great right now!

Good luck dealing with any stressors that come up with your friends' social drinking on the trip. Do they know you're in recovery, or are you keeping that under the radar? (If you're under the radar, your new shape should make it easy for you use the old "I quit drinking until I get to X weight" excuse.)

My check-in: I already mentioned the long slow walk yesterday, so here's the rest
(1) I did finally do the dreaded ab work last night. 2 sets of 12 side sit ups (or jackknives, or whatever they're called) per side, 2 sets of 15 regular sit-ups, and a set of 30 knee drops. Not a lot, and I'm not sore today, but it sure felt like a lot at the time!
(2) Leg work - I did thigh circles "to the pain". Which, in my case, is about 30 controlled ones per side and set. I have some work to do before I catch up to Xena.
(3) Did some basic stretching for hip flexers, calves, etc. Just forward folds and frog pose and down dog kind of stuff really.

Still haven't returned to work on stuff for my bum. I hate hate hate the old Jane Fonda classic (leg lifts from hands and knees), but can't do lunges and squats b/c my knees are about as stable as a monkey on meth. Any of you guys have bum exercises that are easy on the knees? I do isometric clenches, but I think those are probably of limited use.

Congrats again on your weight loss and muscle gain, Sazzle, and have a great time on your trip!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllieB For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (07-05-2013), joygirl (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

TGIF check-in!

Allie: Yes, Colorado, at least in the Denver metro area is in a drought, although they eased restrictions slightly last week so that we can now water three days a week, instead of only two - great! - more work!!
It is very dry here... I moved here from Seattle about 18? or so years ago...
I aged (my face began to dry out and I started getting slight wrinkles) about three years in less than 1 year due to the dryness; my lips are constantly chapped so I have to have chapstick handy, and my hair suffers as well.
And the lotion, I go through bottles each year.

Sazzle: enjoy your vacation... we will be here when you get back!

Well, I lied yesterday when I said I was done with exercise...lol,,, my grown children and a fiance of one talked me into going for a walk to our little downtown area ... it was a beautiful walk at twilight... and then we walked back and off to another part of town to watch the fireworks, which were amazing beautiful and awesome!! And, it was a really long show... we certainly got our money's worth (it was free, btw)...

So, I had an amazing 4th of July all around... surrounded by loving family, good bar-b-q food, and tons of exercise, topped off with a magnificent display of fireworks... can't get much better than that!!

Now, I am getting ready to go to work... I am hoping it is quiet, as I am a bit tired. Today I plan to have a rest day unless I get a burst of energy after work.

Have a healthy, happy and fit Friday, babysteppers!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1Dayatatyme For This Useful Post:
AllieB (07-05-2013), joygirl (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Enjoy your well earned rest day, 1day.

Check-in: I did a short walk, and my usual bike ride, and 2 sets of 10 girl pushups. Think that may be it for me today.

Have a good weekend!
1Dayatatyme (07-05-2013), joygirl (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hello you awesome babystepping women!
My teacup is full of nickels! I'm not going to lie, I've not walked since Tuesday. I have done a good bit of incidental exercise, but its not the same.
So, yesterday I did do two sets of my sun salutation. It was so cute, my youngest son, he's 10, was watching me and wanted to learn it. He followed me and had it down after one set! He woke up this morning and did it again! He does n't remember this, but when he was a preschooler, I taught him yoga for kids, I taught it at his preschool. Maybe that's why he picked it up so easily!
I'm doing another set in a bit. I have a really daft reason for not walking tonight: I went to the salon and finally had my hair redone- highlights, lowlights, cut, styled. Now it looks so good, I don't want to mess it up just yet! The good thing is, I'm going on vacation Sunday and will be walking a lot while there at the beach, plus the hotel had a gym so I might even give that a try!
So, I will keep checking in, even if I'm behind my goal. You guys inspire me! Have a good night!
Oh! There is a pitcher made just for making your own fruit flavored water! They are on Amazon. How about that?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joygirl For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (07-06-2013), AllieB (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Good self care Joy!

Joygirl,
Your efforts at self care - your hair sounds awesome, is so good for the soul..
Good for you for finding time to do your sun salutations... we know you are busy.
Today, I am still a bit sore from Thursday, and just had tea and my supplements, like emerg C and some other stuff that are supposed to repair brain damage from all that addiction stuff.

Hoping to get moving here soon and go out and walk or something.

Remember Joy, every time you skip exercise, the more nickels we get to share here on babysteppers... I am looking forward to receiving an envelope with a lot of nickels wrapped in bubblewrap near Christmas...
AllieB (07-06-2013), joygirl (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Marcher

1day! You show-off! Haha!
The Following User Says Thank You to joygirl For This Useful Post:
AllieB (07-07-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Marcher

check in:

I did my very brisk walk listening to ABBA! I sang and danced along. The neighbors know me by now and just smile and wave. 1.2 miles. I've not listened to ABBA in a long time.
Gotta go finish packing. /and rehydrate! I cannot believe the energy i'm having lately. I'm not sure if it;s one thing or many, but I'm doing something right!
Have a great night and morning!

Stay fit, stay hydrated, and stay sober!
1Dayatatyme (07-07-2013), AllieB (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

I owe a nickel for Saturday

Don't know how the day got away from me, but my son actually agreed to be seen with me in public and we went to the bank together, the grocery store and Costco... those errands must have worn me out or the rain was so soothing in the afternoon that I lost my motivation to get out and move... I just enjoyed the peacefulness.

As for today, Sunday, it is my normal day to go to the gym... One thing about me that is not so good, sometimes when I get a nice routine going, I actually rebel against it, and just stop... it is something relating to feeling controlled by a schedule.... goes way back for me...hmm.....
AllieB (07-07-2013), joygirl (07-08-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

1Day: You got rain! Hope it was enough to alleviate some of the water shortage.

I'm often the same way about schedules...the inner contrarian takes over and saunters around, smashing all my good intentions. The best way for me to insure that I go on an out of control eating and lounging binge is for me to draw up a detailed eating and exercise plan.

Don't let your inner contrarian win!

Joygirl, way to go on getting your walk in. Have a good trip!

Sazzle: you out there, girl?

Check-in: I didn't do any strength-building yesterday. Just a short walk (about a mile) and a bike ride (about 8 miles). I'll do sit-ups and push-ups tonight and report back.
1Dayatatyme (07-07-2013), joygirl (07-08-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Allie,
You nailed it... and said it so eloquently... it must be that little bratty girl who had too many authoritarian figures in her life telling her what to do that now, a schedule is a "trigger" to that thought "You have to do...."
I will need to reflect on this a bit more....
Thanks!
Oh btw: we would need days of steady rain to alleviate the drought conditions entirely, but the little bit we got yesterday, gave my lawn a boost.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

1Day: She and her truncheon live in my head too. We're well acquainted. I hadn't thought about her origin story, though. Interesting. I may have some thinking to do as well.

Check-in: My body wanted to slug out today. I did my usual bike ride, and did 2 sets of 12 pushups. Skipped the situps. But, it was a fight to get myself to walk and bike and do the push ups, so I'll let it go at that.

Goal for tomorrow: a total of 100 sit-ups. Howsoever long it may take me. Gives my inner contrarian something to rebel against.
1Dayatatyme (07-07-2013), joygirl (07-08-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

The little contrarian kinda won

Well,
It is now 8:39pm and I did not leave the house except to bring trash out to the backyard trash cans.
I did laundry, and ironed for 1 1/2 hours... I have a lot of linen and cotton for summer, and they have to get ironed although by the end of the work day they are "fashionably" wrinkled.
I did some incidental exercises, like push-ups again the wall while waiting for my iron to warm up, but otherwise I napped for a couple of hours.
I definitely owe a nickel, maybe two.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Lol! Allie, I'm still on holiday but managed to get online. Im back Weds. I am staying at the top of a harbour and I counted 99 steps from top to bottom (my fitbit calculates the hills and stairs as the equivalent of 12 flights of stairs!). If you lived here you would be naturally fit!

On Monday we did 44 flights in total!!

I'm having a lovely relaxing time and getting a bit of walking in too.

1Day, I have been practicing my push-ups too. I can only do 3 leaning up the stairs. At PT on Friday I couldn't do one. My right arm wants to flick out. I did do a 1:30 plank which I can't believe. I couldn't do 10s in May!!

Allie, good luck with 100 sit ups. I was reading a Gwyneth Paltrow interview and she said she hates exercise. She says she cries, curses then gets on with it. Made me laugh!

Joygirl, how cute, your little lad doing sun salutations with you. I wish if learnt it at that age, I still have to stop and look at instructions of I'm not with my trainer! I'll also check out the fruit water pitcher on amazon. Enjoy your hols.

Right, off for a steam train journey along the coast.

Have a great day

S x
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sazzle For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (07-08-2013), AllieB (07-11-2013), joygirl (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Hi ladies...things are going well.....after 6 weeks of regular workouts and corrective movement workouts with trainerboy, i easily lifted 42# of cat litter and i have now lost 3.5" off my waist! 3/4"off my left thigh ( the only one i measured in disgust) and .5 " off my left upper arm.
Babysteps indeed, but i wil take it.
I am much more flexible and can notice a difference in daily activities, like jumping up and down from the floor when i was cleaning too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fandy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Wow, great result Fandy!!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey Babysteppers!
I am having a marvelous time here. I was in the car for 15 hours yesterday, getting here. It was soooo worth it. I would've gone 20 for this.
And...I walked 50 min tonight. Down the little street that leads from our hotel to the beach, and the way down the beach and back. I would take that walk every night without a fight if I lived here. Alas, I don't live here. Anyway, I just wanted to check in. You all sound like you're doing well.
Oh, I have the same contrarian renting space in my head. How many times have I bought books and tapes and made schedules, and then stopped. It's good to know I'm not the only one. So I'm doing some thinking on this as well.
Ya'll have a good week. I'll try to check in on my progress, plus I want to see how many nickels we have flying around amongst us!
1Dayatatyme (07-09-2013), AllieB (07-11-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joygirl View Post
Oh, I have the same contrarian renting space in my head. How many times have I bought books and tapes and made schedules, and then stopped. It's good to know I'm not the only one. So I'm doing some thinking on this as well.
Oh yes. This is me also. I have come across lists & scheduled that I made years ago. I've got diet books on every shelf and also came across some boxed up in the loft. I start taking vitamins & supplements, feel better then stop. My mind obviously resists a routine but my body loves them.

It sounds like you are having a great time Joygirl. I'ml leaving this beautiful harbour town this afternoon, totally refreshed. I'll miss those hills and 99 steps to the front door!

S x
1Dayatatyme (07-09-2013), AllieB (07-11-2013), joygirl (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AllieB View Post
That's fantastic, Sazzle! You must feel great right now!

Good luck dealing with any stressors that come up with your friends' social drinking on the trip. Do they know you're in recovery, or are you keeping that under the radar? (If you're under the radar, your new shape should make it easy for you use the old "I quit drinking until I get to X weight" excuse.)
Hi Allie, sorry I totally missed this! They know I don't drink anymore, they've seen me in the kind of states that drinking gets me without an off switch but I am keeping it under the radar. It makes things difficult as they don't understand why I can't 'just have one'. Still, I know what I am and that's all that matters. I do like the fact that drinking cuts out so many empty calories. It's helping my weightloss (although it didn't at first as I needed so many sweets to get me through cravings)
1Dayatatyme (07-09-2013), AllieB (07-11-2013), joygirl (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Marcher

Sazzle, 99 steps to the door! Sounds like the title of a fitness book! God bless you.

We went walking around the shops today. I don't know how long or far. Lots of water, it seemed to be evaporating as I drank it.

I'm glad you are all keeping it up. I can tell you that if not for ya'll, I would be sitting my behind in bed or beach or poolside instead of walking. Cheers to Us!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joygirl For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (07-11-2013), AllieB (07-11-2013), Sazzle (07-09-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hello all! Ouch, I have a sunburn!
Yesterday check in (late)- Walked through shops for an hour or so.
Jumped waves with my son for 30 min at a time, three times yesterday. That's how I got burned!
Walked to little Italian restaurant for dinner, walked back to hotel.

Today, I am a little sore from sunburn and ocean playing! But 2 Motrin later and I'll be great. Drinking gallons of water!

Stay fit, stay hydrated, stay sober!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joygirl For This Useful Post:
1Dayatatyme (07-11-2013), AllieB (07-11-2013), Sazzle (07-11-2013)