Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group part 5

Old 05-25-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  
LDT

Hmmm...this sounds a little like my rationale for drinking Bloody Marys ( in my former life)..... cuz of the oh-so-healthy V8 juice we made it from. It was all bout the juice....certainly not about the Vodka, right?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-27-2013), coffeenut (05-28-2013), Ghostly (05-25-2013), nel68 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Yes! Now you got it.

So, I will have my egg white mcmuffin cuz the whites are good and yolks are bad. Yolks raise your cholesterol. Then I'll have the turkey sausage breakfast sandwich from Dunkin. The Turkey makes it good for you cuz the heavily processed eggs and cheese are fine, and as LDT pointed out the bun is ok of course...it was just that darn pig sausage that did it in, that fat goes right to be stored as fat you know? However, now that's ok...its turkey!

Here is my dilemma though. I'll need something sweet to eat after I've eaten the McMuffin and the sandwich from Dunkin...I know...Snack Wells! They're low in fat...and as we know, when we eat fat it goes right to being stored as fat in our bodies! So, cuz its low in fat it must be good for you! Here is a list of ingredients in a Snack Well Creme Cookie:

Ingredients
SnackWell's Creme sandwich cookies contain enriched flour, sugar, vegetable shortening, dextrose, corn flour, glycerin, whey and high fructose corn syrup. Additional ingredients include leavening, such as baking soda and calcium phosphate, cornstarch, emulsifiers, mono and diglycerides, sodium stearoyl, lactylate, salt, wheat starch, cellulose gum and gel, natural and artificial flavor. Each flavor may have additional ingredients, such as skim milk and cocoa.

*** Notice its low in fat, which = healthy food.

Ok, so I got my snack. I'm thirsty though. How bout one of them energy drinks. I here they're good for you they have ginseng in them.

Update...Ok, they hide their ingredients pretty well, which is kinda scary. The promo on an energy drink site (shall remain nameless) shows people driving, parachuting, flying, playing sports...plus a very attractive female I didn't mind looking at. The thing missing is the ingredients. However, still think that's the way to go...its got ginseng, so we'll take their word that the other ingredients must be good for us.

Ok...egg white mcmuffin, turkey sausage breakfast sandwich with cheese and egg from Dunkins, Snackwells, and an energy drink with ginseng.

A very healthy meal. I should be able to fly.

Ok, just for the record...feelin a little sarcastic tonight. If I offended ya...I honestly don't feel bad. If these products are things you eat / drink, that's fine...I don't care. Just don't pretend they're healthy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-27-2013), coffeenut (05-28-2013), LDT (05-26-2013), nel68 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  
LDT

:rotfxko.

Well my craving lately has been for fried chicken. I admit it. It seems every where I go I am seeing and smelling fried chicken. UGH! So to satisfy my craving, we fried fish, battered in coconut flour, fried in coconut oil. But we ran out of coconut oil mid way through the frying and had to substitute vegetable oil........ But wait.....vegetable oil has vegetables in it, so it has to be good, right?
CaiHong (05-27-2013), coffeenut (05-28-2013), Ghostly (05-26-2013), nel68 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Well yeah, LDT, its vegetable oil. It comes right from veggies. Obviously its good. I'm going to have a shot of it right now.

I was up WAY too late last night. I hope I don't scare anyone away with that post. Been a while since I had one like that. It was inspired by a commercial I saw.

Making some salmon right now.
CaiHong (05-27-2013), coffeenut (05-28-2013), LDT (05-26-2013), nel68 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  
LDT

Hey Heaters!

Ghostly, what's happening to our thread.....crickets chirping......

Yesterday was not a terribly healthy eating day. It was my daughter's birthday and I did...eat...cake. It was delicious!

Today we are grilling shrimp. New recipe calls for wrapping each piece of shrimp in a basil leaf and then wrapping it in a piece of prosciutto ...then grilling. We are also grilling scallops. And veggies.

Happy Memorial Day!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (05-28-2013), Ghostly (05-27-2013), nel68 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Hello guys, hope all is well with everyone♥ I have not done to good for 5 days!! I know its hormonal though and I gave in to my cravings and doughnuts was part of that, I ate doughnuts 3 days in a row!! We go out garage selling and I was like hey lets stop and get a doughnut! Yesterday I got back on track thank gawd!! I made a pot of homemade vegetable soup with lean ground turkey meat. It was so good!... It has been raining almost every day for the last 30 days, I swear! So the soup is just right for these cool wet days. I just thought I would check in real quick, if I lose 3 more pounds I will have 15 pounds lost!!....Chow
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nel68 For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-27-2013), coffeenut (05-28-2013), Ghostly (05-27-2013), LDT (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Nel - Hope they were good donuts! Man I've had a craving for some. Congrats on the weight loss you are seeing.

Wow...seems like most of us had some slips the last few days. I had some really bad things going on food wise myself. I'll skip the details and focus on some positives...

Made some slow cooked chicken legs. Threw in some homemade salsa I had left over. Note to self - The salsa affected the taste 0.

Made some Paleo pancakes.

Made some brats.

Ate quite a bit of different fruit.

Avoided pizza, and I came darn close folks...darn close.

Now, I need to EAT MORE VEGGIES! I know this, and I eat more than most people I know, but I need to get to it and try to increase my daily intake. I go in waves and will have tons, and then not have enough.

Hey, side note. We got a Ninja food processor a few weeks ago. Huge disappointment. IMHO, it sucks. I got a cheap $30 food processor from Amazon years ago, and that thing is better than the Ninja. Part of it is a flawed design. The blade is an inch to an inch and a half from the base which allows food to go in there and not get cut up. Plus, it stopped working correctly. I am hoping to get reimbursed, even if not in full, for it.
CaiHong (05-27-2013), coffeenut (05-28-2013), LDT (05-27-2013), nel68 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Good Morning Heaters,
Ghostly I was having a conversation with a customer about the very same thing, junk food masquerading as health food.
The bottom line is, the closer to the natural product the better. In my local shopping mall last year in China a dunkin donuts shop opened (good grief).
Made 3 raw dessert pies for the cafe under an hour yesterday.
Coco/orange mousse tart
Key Lime Pie
Strawberry cheesecake
As I explained to my manager, I am training him up as I leave tomorrow, desserts are basically fat, sugar and flavoring.
Fats I use are nuts and avocado and fresh coconut milk
sugars dried fruit, coconut sugar
Flavourings fruit
Flour. Shredded coconut.

These will satisfy your craving for something sweet.

Saturday I went to a new spa and had a haircut, pedicure and manicure, full legs were threaded and my face was threaded all for under $50!!!
Threading is one of the great discoveries of 2012 for me along with 365 live radio.
The hair is pulled out using cotton thread. It hurts a bit but I love the result. I especially love having my face done it really gives a smoother look and the hairs do grow back but much finer and thinner.

Sunday was a very social day for me. met people at this great place on the beach with a swimming pool, ate noodles seafood and veggies, the service was so slow it was laughable
But I will back as it was a great atmosphere, the dog made a friend with this adorable 4 month old chihuahua.
Then met people for dinner at Mama Lys by another beach, her calamari was probably the best I have had in the world.
The dog was exhausted by the end of the day what with swimming lots of dog playing and scooter riding. I am so going to miss the little guy.

I am going 100 percent raw when I hit Australia.
I will need the energy and focus raw gives me when I get there.

LDT I have used arrowroot as a thickner.
In raw cooking nuts need to be raw and soaked before eating for better absorption into the body.

Today I am going to experiment with some new raw cracker recipes.

I have downloaded a yoga Nidra audio and have started doing this in the morning before I start my day to get me present in the body and away from my monkey mind.

late afternoon I went swimming at the beach, the sky was just amazing,part of the sky looked like it had been inlaid with mother of pearl. I have never seen this before.

I thought to myself, what a wonderful world.

Have a great day everyone.

Love
CaiHongo
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaiHong For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (05-28-2013), Ghostly (05-27-2013), LDT (05-27-2013), nel68 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by CaiHong View Post
last year in China a dunkin donuts shop opened (good grief).
Well, apparently you didn't know they serve turkey sausage, so its ok. Just saying.

Cai, you're like some kinda character in a book. I mean that as a compliment...you have so many amazing things going on.
CaiHong (05-29-2013), coffeenut (05-28-2013), LDT (05-27-2013), nel68 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Finished the night with some salmon over my homemade cole slaw. Also had a Paleo pancake and some fruit.
CaiHong (05-29-2013), coffeenut (05-28-2013), LDT (05-28-2013), nel68 (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Happy summer, Heaters!

I vote this thread the Best of Forum! Ghost, your above post made me sputter! You should be a writer, seriously!

Thanks for being such a source of inspiration, all!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-29-2013), Ghostly (05-28-2013), nel68 (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Hi all, lots to talk about because I've been in Alberta for a couple days....but no time. Later! Just letting y'all I'm still alive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-29-2013), Ghostly (05-28-2013), LDT (05-28-2013), nel68 (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

My eating habit is so pathetic, I ended my day with papaya and lots of water. I use to drink 12-15 liters of water a day. I think most of your health issues can be solved just by having enough intake water only.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wilsonM For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-29-2013), Ghostly (05-28-2013), InParticular (05-28-2013), LDT (05-28-2013), nel68 (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  
LDT

Hey Wilson... Water, water, and more water......I agree!

Heaters....I have to tell you that I ate the absolute SWEETEST cantaloupe I've ever eaten yesterday. It went beyond sweet. I'm going back today and pray that the market has some more left. I put cantaloupe in with my frozen bananas and fresh blueberries for an ice cream/smoothie last night. .... Heaven!

I had a cucumber/tomato sald and leftover grilled chicken and ribs for lunch. Tonight's dinner is ....leftovers again ( we grilled a lot of stuff yesterday ) and steamed cauliflower with cream of shrimp soup poured on top. Yes, the soup is from a "can" because I don't know how to make my own Paleo cream of shrimp soup ( yet).

Ghostly, sorry to hear about your Ninja. We really like ours, but we do know it's limitations. When we make almond flour we first put the raw almonds in the Ninja, and then finish them off in the Nutrabullet. That procedure makes the finest almond flour, ever

Yesterday we peeled and made our own sweet potatoe patties. After baking them I sprinkled them with a tad of butter and cinnamon. They were delicious. My son, who has never been a sweet potatoe fan, said " I think I now like sweet potatoes. Who would have guessed it?"

CaiHong....you probably told us this earlier, but is your stay in Australia temporary? And I am sure your puppy is in good hands in your absence. I hope you will still post here from your new place.

Coffeenut Where ya been?

InPar...dying to hear details! Glad you're alive...post soon, ok?

nel....vegetable soup is one of my 5 favorite things to eat. When I make it I even eat it for breakfast. I bet yours was awesome.

I have a long rehearsal tonight. I've already been practicing for hours and feel like my hands are about to fall off. Time for a cup of coffee and some more of that cantaloupe Need energy.........

That's all I got today, Heaters!
CaiHong (05-29-2013), Ghostly (05-28-2013), InParticular (05-28-2013), nel68 (05-29-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Hi all lot going on here. I was in Denver last week visiting my sister in the hospital, I didn't eat unhealthy but I basically didn't eat for the 4 days I was there, had yogurt with granola each morning and a sandwich or salad for dinner each day and that was it I lost 5 pounds course that was also stress related and I did walk/jog 3.5-4 miles each morning. I stayed at her house and there was food in her freezer and pantry but I don't like food out of the freezer especially when I don't know how long it's been there and I don't eat processed food out of the pantry and I had no transportation just a ride back and forth to the hospital each day. I came home really hungry! I ate some bad (unhealthy, not bad tasting) trail mix on the plane home on Friday but then by Saturday night I had pulled myself together and cooked a salmon burger with squash/zucchini/olives stir fry and on Sunday I made black bean burgers and I think I've gained back 3 of the 5 lbs I lost and I'm back to eating my regular healthy meals. Traveling is always very stressful for me and when you add a sister with cancer it's over the top stress.
Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jamdls For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-29-2013), Ghostly (05-28-2013), InParticular (05-28-2013), LDT (05-28-2013), nel68 (05-29-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

I seriously need some time on this thread... I am a fitness nut, but my diet is fair at best. God, I love chocolate ice cream... And peanut butter cookies.... Please, any suggestions? I don't eat them every day, but I can't say no to chocolate or peanut butter! I still think its better than vodka!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tres For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-29-2013), Ghostly (05-28-2013), InParticular (05-28-2013), LDT (05-28-2013), nel68 (05-29-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Tres! Love to see you here.

For some reason I've been eating extremely healthfully since I got here on Sunday night....all fresh vegetables and meat and fruit with organic seeds and nuts that I brought from home. And I'm drinking tea with unsweetened almond milk. ...Weird. I think it's because I see the people here who are pretty unhealthy on the whole and I don't want to be like them. Also, I'm already feeling weird and sad enough being away from home and my boyfriend, I don't need to feel unhealthy and horrible about myself on top of it. Once I'm settled into a routine and start running again I'll be laughing.
Not drinking will make this a snap. Imagine I was going to the bars here? Ugh, thank god that is over with. Also my roommates would probably hate me already by now, or be thinking that I'm crazy.
Unfortunately I can't make my morning kale smoothies because I don't want to wake up my roommates. And they have a ninja which looks sort of involved to clean and use, too much in the morning. We'll see. It would be great to make them again.
Any-hoo, I ramble. I have to go work on an assignment!
Take care heaters, I'll be checking in more as I get more settled.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-29-2013), Ghostly (05-29-2013), LDT (05-28-2013), nel68 (05-29-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  
LDT

Hi Tres!

Why not make raw chocolate ice cream instead of buying commercial ice cream? You can Google it up. You make it with frozen bananas and cocoa, and/or dark chocolate chips. There are a lot of recipes for this on Paleo websites. It's delicious and way healthier than store bought....... Also maybe substitute almond butter cookies instead of peanut butter cookies. You can also Google that. I think Ghostly once posted his recipe for dark chocolate dipped in almond butter and he said it was awesome.

Judy, I am really sorry to hear about your sister . I hope for the best outcome. I also don't eat when I'm stressed. When I'm upset the first thing that goes is the appetite. Glad to hear you are back to your healthy eating.
CaiHong (05-29-2013), Ghostly (05-29-2013), jamdls (05-29-2013), nel68 (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Good Morning Heaters,
Its 4 am and I am lying in bed in Saigon waiting for the city to wake up so I can explore a bit before I fly out
Today is my 2 year sober birthday and I have been reflecting on the positive changes in my life. I am one very very grateful alcoholic.

Judy so sorry to hear of your sisters illness. The stress you are going through must be enormous.

Wilson isn't there such a thing as too much water, I need to look that up. Papaya is one of my favourite fruits.

Ghostly the reason I have so many interesting things going on is because I am sober, if I was drinking I would never get anything off the ground, the ideas would be there but never put into action. The fear has diminished along with the negativity that would immobilize me.
LDT I will be in Australia of a couple of months. I need to earn some money I am nearly broke but the miracle is I am not bothered by this. My cafe is my hobby and one day it may pay for itself. I have plans afoot to build another level overlooking the river to hold yoga classes health seminars. I would like it to be a centre where people can use the space to promote healthy lifestyles.
To do things in Vietnam is very cheap that is why it's possible for me.

Inparticular how long is your assignment? Is it just for the Summer?

Tres, raw desserts can fill that void.

Food is a bit up in the air at the moment. I did eat half a kilo of mangosteens yesterday.

I am in search of a good breakfast buffet.

Have a great day heaters. I know I will.

Love
caiHong
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaiHong For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (05-29-2013), jamdls (05-30-2013), LDT (05-29-2013), nel68 (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  
LDT

CaiHong. congrats on your 2 years! Be safe in your travels. I like your idea of putting a yoga center on top of your restaurant. I hope you get back to it soon.

Well Heaters, today I ate very well.....Later, I attended the reception of my student that gave her solo recital tonight . Her mother had brought about 90 gorgeous looking cupcakes...that's right 90!!! I'm happy to say I wasn't even remotely tempted. I drank a diet coke and that was it. My student's sweet mother kept trying to box some up for me to take home, and I kept saying, ( nicely ), 'No thank you'. (She was really persistent ).

Hope everyone had a great day.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (06-02-2013), Ghostly (05-29-2013), jamdls (05-30-2013), nel68 (05-29-2013), Tres (06-03-2013)