Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group part 5

Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
LDT

I messed up.
I fell off the wagon
I feel awful.
The beast was screaming at me all day. I was stressed out from trying to get things together for my students' piano recital tonight. I was starving and tired and full of anxiety. So I just caved in.........

I ate a hamburger and tater tots.

And it wasn't even good. I didn't enjoy it. I felt like I was eating cardboard.

Tomorrow is another day.......
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-19-2013), Ghostly (05-17-2013), nel68 (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Take a deep breath it will be okay LDT..lol...You can yoga that meal right off this week....You had me scared for a minute!! I thought you meant the sober wagon, my heart did a flip flop...Then I remember I was on the Healthy Eaters thread Not sure what to have tonight its hot out, I think my bake fish and Chicken days are gone until it gets cool.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nel68 For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-19-2013), Ghostly (05-17-2013), LDT (05-16-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

LDT, YOU SCARED ME!!!! Sheesh woman, don't do that, ha ha! A burger and tater tots are not going to kill you. You're only human, don't forget!

So, I have some big news that's going to affect my healthy eating goals, I'm moving for the summer to a tiny, blue collar town in the prairies of Alberta. I've already researched the food options there, and there is only a Walmart and a No Frills!!!!! Argh. This is going to be a challenge.

I got a job there at a newspaper, btw, that's why I'm going. Going to be a small town reporter! The only reporter, in fact. I was really nervous about it at first but am starting to get my head around it. I think it will be a healthy time for me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-19-2013), Ghostly (05-17-2013), LDT (05-17-2013), nel68 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
LDT

InPar, I think your summer job sounds like fun! I can't wait to hear all about it. What is the prairies of Alberta? Can you stock up on good food before you go? Maybe you could buy fruit and veggies from a farmer's market and freeze the food? We do that a lot. I would buy produce at Walmart, but I have had some very negative experiences buying meat and seafood there. Be careful.

Breakfast.....sausage and eggs.....I have a pork roast in the crockpot for dinner. No tater tots for me today.
CaiHong (05-19-2013), Ghostly (05-17-2013), nel68 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

The prairies of alberta are....the prairies....in Alberta. Wheat fields, roaming buffalo, rolling hills, big sky, etc. etc. I'm excited because I've always wanted to explore that area and never thought I'd have a chance to. I'm going to take soooo many photos! I think I might actually do a photo series and try to submit them to a magazine.
Hmmm......(wheels have begun turning......!)
Anyway, the really good thing, foodwise, about the area is that there is lots of game hunting, so I'll be able to eat lots of deer and birds, and buffalo! (Not that they hunt the buffalo, but you know what I mean.) And I researched and found out that there's a health food store in another town about a half hour's drive away. So, phew. Yeah I'll have to stock up and freeze I guess. I'm thinking there's got to be some kind of farmer's market there in the summer. There just has to be. It's funny that I don't eat wheat and I'll be living smack in the middle of wheat country.
I think this is going to be really good for me though, because there are no good restaurants in the town, so I'll be cooking and planning my meals way more. Did I mention there is no coffee shop? WTFFF?????? How do they live? There's a Tim Horton's but I HATE HATE HATE their coffee. For those of you that don't know, Tim Horton's is HUGE in Canada, like McDonald's of coffee and donuts. They're everywhere. And I hate them. The coffee has msg in it!
Any-hoo. Ugh I would never by seafood from Walmart. That is just wrong.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-19-2013), Ghostly (05-17-2013), nel68 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
LDT

So InPar, you mean you are moving to the COUNTRY in Alberta....why didn't ya say so in the first place... Speak, English woman! (Lol) I do know what prairies are.....we actually have them down here nestled amongst the swamps. I hope you will take pics. Can and will you post them here on SR? Hey that gives me an idea for a new thread......we should have a separate thread for pics of where we are in the summer. I will be on a boat sailing a lot of the time down the coast toward Florida and I promised my buddies on HATZ I would post pics ( as soon as I learn how to do that here)......thinking....thinking.....

One time I bought some shrimp from that aforementioned national super store.....as I was standing at the sink I noticed my eyes were itching a bit. I kept peeling the shrimp....DH came home from work and when I turned around to say hi, he practically gasped because my eyes were almost swollen shut .....it was the shrimp. Never before nor after have I had such an allergic reaction. We now just only buy our shrimp fresh from shrimpers. Actually, we often have shrimp trucks pull up to our place of business and pop off the heads of the shrimp and bag them right in the parking lot. I've bought fish that way, too (. Ahem, WITH the heads).

InPar.....I thought you had given up coffee. (Did I miss something? ) that's one thing I know I'll never give up. I'm too weak...I LOVE it! In fact, I'm so excited that I found a new, local coffee shop so close to my house I can ride my bike to it. I will never darken the doors of that national coffee shop chain that I have come to despise !

We really are what we eat folks. And so are our pets . I've just recently proven that to myself by buying an off brand, lesser expensive dog food for my dog. I did that simply because I ran out of his better dog food and it was convenient to grab a bag of.... In the grocery store . Without getting into details, I will just say I won't do that again. Just like I do for my family, I have to PLAN to buy good food for my pets as well.

Long Saturday ramble......hope everyone has a great weekend!
CaiHong (05-19-2013), Ghostly (05-18-2013), nel68 (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Why people don't like it when you don't drink (funny) - YouTubeFunny video Enjoy the video Healthy Eaters...Today is my husband birthday so I'm going to have a free day Tomorrow I will be back to my veggies and bake fish/chicken or something healthy..Chow
CaiHong (05-19-2013), Ghostly (05-18-2013), LDT (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Healthy Eaters.

I screwed up with my healthy eating again. I was freaking out yesterday and I ate crap again. Gosh, I tried urge surfing and it really help first, but then like if somewhat kicked me out of my stable emotional state and there was no way I could stop. Surely there was way but... I feel so helpless. Why????????? Will there an end to this? I eat like I am a food-swallowing machine.

Sorry for the rant, friends. I am just hell tired of fighting this. And myself.

I promise I'll be back with better and more positive approach)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-19-2013), Ghostly (05-18-2013), LDT (05-18-2013), nel68 (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Sober since October

SOS. I ate potato chips...And an ice-cream...No comments...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-19-2013), Ghostly (05-19-2013), LDT (05-18-2013), nel68 (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
LDT

Midnight....I was no better the last couple of days. I do not eat well when I'm on the run, and this week has been insane, work wise! I need to work on my planning for when I've no time to cook.

You seem to be a very disciplined person, so get off your own back...I think you will be back to your great eating in no time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-19-2013), Ghostly (05-19-2013), MidnightBlue (05-18-2013), nel68 (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Thanks LDT)

Planning is great - it saves time and healthy eating.

Hope I'll be back with better input soon)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-19-2013), Ghostly (05-19-2013), nel68 (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Midnight, I was reading the SOS post you posted and was literally eating chips!...lol...Its the Pringles fat free a few is good but not half the container! Like I said earlier its the hubs birthday and today is a free day, you know what I notice its like my drinking I can't stop at one. If I'm good I'm really good and if I'm bad I'm really bad...I agree with LDT, It is good to plan meals, it helps out so much otherwise we get tired and hungry and just reach for something fast and not to healthy....Hang in there Midnight maybe after a good nights rest we all will wake up in a healthy eating spirit ....P.S..Somebody pleez get these chips away from me!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nel68 For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-19-2013), Ghostly (05-18-2013), LDT (05-18-2013), MidnightBlue (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Yes, I did quit coffee LDT, for two weeks. Then I started again. GRRRR. What can I say, I just love coffee!
It's easy to post photos, there's an "insert image" tab above.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-19-2013), Ghostly (05-19-2013), LDT (05-19-2013), nel68 (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  
LDT

I love it, too, InPar. The lengths my DH and I go to find the perfect coffee and brew the "perfect cup" ....you just wouldn't believe.
CaiHong (05-19-2013), Ghostly (05-19-2013), nel68 (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Good Morning everyone,

I have been away for a while because I have been in a bit of a slump viz the eating.
I have gone from gung Ho to not bothered.
I have been watching this closely, I think it's because I am in limbo at the moment, I will be going back to Australia for at least a month and am excited about that. I haven't lived in a western country for a number of years and I have a list of things I want to do that you guys would perhaps take for granted.

I have kept to a fairly healthy diet but noticed that I have allowed some sugar and pastries to creep in.
One thing I have learnt I have to mix it up a bit or I lose my enthusiasm for what I am involved in which just kills it.
My habit is to get up go to the hotel for the fantastic $6 buffet breakfast.
I start off with a plate piled high with magnificent fresh fruit. Then as far as the raw food goes, its downhill from there. All healthy but not raw healthy.

Then down to the beach with the dog, I keep taking him further and further out so he can swim back to shore.

It will be the first day of Winter when I arrive back in Australia, I am looking forward to being cold.
So today I will be thinking more about my diet and reign in the eating before I lose control.

I love this thread and reading all about your doings? Hula hoops to prairies.

Love to you all

CaiHong
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaiHong For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (05-19-2013), LDT (05-20-2013), nel68 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Wow Cai, you live an interesting life.

InP - You have some very cool things going on as well.

LDT - Was that burger with the bun?

Cool hoola's Nel.

I've been lurking a bit more than posting lately. Just nothing to report. This weekend was overall a pretty bad food weekend. However, there were a lot of temptations I didn't give in to. I need to be careful cuz I am such an all or nothin type fella, and I don't wanna spriral down.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-20-2013), LDT (05-20-2013), nel68 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  
LDT

Good morning everyone!

Yep Ghost....burger with bun....the whole shebang ! But that was a few days ago, so I'm over it. I ate fairly well the rest of the weekend, but last night I did eat a couple of small slices of a Mediterranean pizza. Everything on it was perfectly Paleo......except the thin crust was made of wheat. Still, it had been a long time since I'd had pizza, so eating it did not hurt my feelings at all. . I'm also an "all or nothing" person ( which has gotten me in trouble on more than a few occasions).

As I type, I am drinking coffee and listening to the sweet sounds of almond flour being made.

Good to see you back, CaiHong. I was missing you. Australia sounds fantastic. Winter? we are just sliding into our summer here. The sizzling months of a Louisiana summer. It's not for the faint of heart. I often feel sorry for people who move down here during the summer.....especially if we get a hurricane.

I've been making and freezing home made tomato sauce lately. It's so easy with a slow cooker and an immersion blender. I will do that throughout the summer as my tomatoes in my garden come in, or when I buy them at the farmer's market....Tonight we are having stuffed eggplant for dinner...... Lunch is likely a green smoothie.

This week's menu is already almost planned, so I should be good to go. "Planning" is the key to my healthy eating.

Off to Yoga..... Eat well, folks!
CaiHong (05-20-2013), Ghostly (05-20-2013), nel68 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Hello Healthy Eaters good Monday morning to you all. Cai Hong I hope you have a safe trip back to Australia when will you be leaving?....Well gang I had a mini melt down yesterday, I mostly vented in my One Year and Under thread about it. Remember the other day I said I was going to have a free day cause of my husband birthday...well I did and the next day I was 6 pounds heavier!!!! 6 freaking pounds I tell ya..It put me in the worst mood all day long! I cried and cried over it. I know its water retention because I'm like Hoover freaking dam! I retain water like crazy anymore! I woke up today and weighed myself I'm down three pounds....This time around the weight is barely coming off, last time I was on a diet by my fifth month I had 20ish pounds off, I keep journals so I can look back which I love to do. I just want to feel good physically, I want to not be in pain!(knees) Fifty pounds is what I need to lose I would be happy with 30 but 50 would be a healthy weight and BMI....Well gang I'm off to the store I need to buy fruit and lots of healthy food for the week have a great week....Chow
CaiHong (05-20-2013), Ghostly (05-20-2013), LDT (05-20-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Gave in to Taco Tuesday today! Was fabulous but horrible too...ya know?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-23-2013), LDT (05-21-2013), nel68 (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
LDT

Taco Tuesday, eh? That was like my pizza Sunday, Ghostly. Sometimes we just have to do it to remind ourselves why we don't do it ( much) any more. I ate chocolate ice cream a couple of weeks ago ( or was it last week) and I can honestly say I did not like it as much as the raw ice cream I make.

This week so far has been healthy eating . I tried a new 'Paleo cake in a mug' recipe last night for dessert and it was..not..good. Threw it out. Tonight's dinner is some kind of shrimp dish. I'll figure it out later.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (05-23-2013), Ghostly (05-22-2013)