Blogs

Many of you may already know....

Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Many of you may already know....

... but for those that don't, this article's guidelines are helping me:

Metabolic necessities and modern lifestyles place a lot of pressure of your liver. The triangular shaped organ, which sits on the right side of your torso, was designed to deal with toxins produced by the breakdown of food and the production of energy; the additional burden of junk food, pollution and dietary contaminants increases this organ's workload and can lead to decreased effectiveness. Xandria Williams, the author of Liver Detox Plan, notes that a sluggish liver can result in reduced energy, poor digestion and hormonal imbalance. Thankfully, some foods can help regenerate the liver.

Turmeric
Widely used as a spice in curries, turmeric does more than impart a hot flavor and a characteristic golden-brown color. The powder contains a high concentration of curcumin, a powerful antioxidant that can protect the liver from damage and encourage the first phases of liver detoxification. The Worlds Healthiest Foods website notes that curcimin enhances the ability of the liver to detoxify chemicals, noting that rats fed turmeric showed increased expression of two important enzymes, UDP glucuronyl transferase and glutathione-S-transferase.

Artichokes
You should not confuse globe artichokes, or Cynar scolymus to use their Latin name, with the confusingly named Jersusalem artichokes; the latter do not come from Jerusalem, nor do they belong to the artichoke family. Genuine artichokes, however, can help ease the load on the liver. The Epicurean Table website reports that artichokes contain cynarin and silymarin, chemicals that can boost poor liver function, support the treatment of hepatitis and can improve secretions of the gall bladder.

Milk Thistle
Found in most liver supplements, milk thistle remains a favorite herb for picking up the function of the liver. The herb, the botanical name for which is Silybum marianum, provides protection from the damaging effects of free radicals and the active compound, silymarin, can reduce the damage liver cells sustain from chemical insult and increase the rate at which these cells repair themselves. Researchers from the Mayo Clinic note that milk thistle is a versatile and useful weapon in restoring liver function.

There are several sites offering such tips, you know, easy stuff. Foods to eat, stuff to avoid -aside from the obvious- and even tidbits about keeping the positive mental attitude. My theory is the more help I give my liver, the sooner I'll feel better, the sooner I can move on with my life...
The Following User Says Thank You to TuftyPanda For This Useful Post:
Living (05-02-2013)