Blogs

Weight loss after sobriety?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BCS

Weight loss after sobriety?

Can anyone offer tips/suggestions/expectations on getting healthy and losing weight after getting sober?

Thanks in advance!
The Following User Says Thank You to BCS For This Useful Post:
ABIDEBYLAW (03-13-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm all ears too. I cannot get past my sugar cravings since I quit drinking. Thinking I'm going to have to treat it like getting sober and put sugar on the off limits list also.
The Following User Says Thank You to Siesta For This Useful Post:
ivegotsunshine (02-18-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BCS

I'm right there with you. I feel like I'm rewarding myself for not drinking by giving into my food craving. But I would rather look and feel healthier in the long run as my reward. I sure hope these cravings are somewhat temporary. They are kicking my butt!
The Following User Says Thank You to BCS For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For the sugar cravings, use healthy sugars (dates). They have a low glycemic index (easier on the pancreas). My sugar cravings lasted about a week, but I have heard of all different lengths for people.

My mom was about 75 pounds overweight and I helped her do some vegetarian dishes. She eats mostly vegetarian and has lost about all of that weight in a few months.

Hope I helped!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keithy For This Useful Post:
ivegotsunshine (02-18-2013), Stewart888 (03-17-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All I can chip in, is be careful with those cravings. For a while (a good 6 weeks) I was replacing Alcohol with food and even thinking in the same addict-thought patterns eg "How many beers in the fridge do I have left? Will that be enough? Should I get more? Which bottle shop should I use" turned into "Have I got any left over pizza in the fridge? Should I get some chicken just incase I'm still hungry after eating it? Which fast food joint should I visit".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AliceTW For This Useful Post:
hamsammich (04-05-2013), raja12 (02-16-2013), wallup (02-17-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I could use some suggestions as well. When I was drinking I ate maybe once a day and a snack here or there. Once I quit drinking I figured weight would fly off of me. Wrong!!! I developed a new addiction I call the 4 C'S. They are caffeine, cheese, cookies and chocolate. I was still eating as I did during the day but once in bed I would eat way more cookies and chocolates than I should. I drink iced tea about a gallon every two days of course with sugar in it and cheese has always been my downfall. Needless to say I gained close to ten pounds since the end of November. I get up in the middle of the night and eat cheese sometimes as well as snack on a few pieces during the day. I also can't tell you how many times I have woke up with a cookie or piece of chocolate stuck to me either. I have stopped buying my favorite chocolates and now limit myself to 4 cookies versus the ten I was eating. I need to get myself to the point where I don't eat past 8pm but I have to chase the cookie monster away first.
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelBabe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
BCS

I guess the hardest part isn't knowing what to do, but having the strength to make those changes.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm eating a lot less since quitting especially at the weekend. No more big burgers or pizza at 2am.
The Following User Says Thank You to David10 For This Useful Post:
Easyrider (03-18-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I lost about 10 lbs in the beginning , but have been eating more then I use to. Just trying to watch the sugar and junk food. Eating fruit instead of 2 much candy. I tend to agree with AliceTW, I was starting to obsess about food and what I had available to eat. My AV again. Try some sugar free gum or lifesavers instead of chocolate. And fill up on water or diet drinks. My fav is poweraide zero.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AngelBabe View Post
I also can't tell you how many times I have woke up with a cookie or piece of chocolate stuck to me either. I have stopped buying my favorite chocolates and now limit myself to 4 cookies versus the ten I was eating. I need to get myself to the point where I don't eat past 8pm but I have to chase the cookie monster away first.
THIS IS ME! lol

For 50 days, I have replaced alcohol with cookies. I go out and get the freshly made M&M cookies or the Chocolate Brownie cookies from my local grocer. My problem is, is that these cookies come by the dozen, and since I only like the fresh ones, I need to eat them all. ALL OF THEM!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Salacia For This Useful Post:
ivegotsunshine (02-18-2013), PickledJourno (09-28-2014), wallup (02-17-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey folks. It's been probably 10 days since I put down the KFC and ate my last icecream bar (those Crunchie ice cream bars are killer).

Here's the good news: After dealing with the initial "I'm starving" misery, it's take a reletively short time for me to adjust (super quick when compared to smoking or drinking). I am not getting the cravings like I used to, and now I've stopped eating badly in the evenings I'm finding that my day-time eating is more satisfying.

I use a company called "Lite n Easy" for my meals, so I know I'm getting the right calorie levels. If it's something you think you could work into your life I strongly recommend them (or a similar program if you're not in Australia) if you're struggling and need a few weeks to have a break from thinking about food. It's a bit expensive, but it takes all the stress away from "what should I be eating", and it makes me spend less time thinking about food.

Food is super tricky, because you can live without alcohol, without drugs, without smokes - but you can't live without food. So you have to put some form of it into your system. For me not having to think about it too hard makes it easier.

Also plenty of water!

Good luck all.
The Following User Says Thank You to AliceTW For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Not to sound trite but you just have to get up, put your running shoes on and move. Watch what you eat and when you eat it. As your intensity goes up, the pounds will go down. Early morning works best for me.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ugh! I know what I need to do to make it happen, but I wish I had someone to motivate me to go exercise every day. Used to have an exercise pal but she's a bar owner and doesn't get the sober thing. I think I make her uncomfortable now. Anyway, trying to get my butt out the door to go cycling, but stopped here first to procrastinate.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had really bad anxiety when drinking, paranoia about driving on the highway, over bridges and overpasses etc. (I never drank and drove) This also went to eating, thinking I couldn't swallow, fear of choking, no appetite, panic attacks, which precluded eating anything.0
Wine replaced food, drinking was a bit of a fear too which dissapated after the first 2-3 big swigs.
After stopping the wine, I lost weight. I was eating 'real food' and when I sat down and did the math, my liquid calories added up to about 800-1200 per day. Not from food - when I did eat - but from wine in the box!
I was not big to start with, but lost about 15 lbs in about 6 weeks after I stopped drinking. I have gone back to eating like a normal person. I still need to start working out again - lazy in that respect.
I would imagine sticking with basic nutrition would be my advice.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

The alcohol I drank was very high in sugar so about 2 months after I quit drinking I spent about 2 months eating anything and everything. Especially sugar and this is coming from a person who doesn't much like sweets.

I was eating those peanut butter ice creams sandwiches and tons and tons of cheesecake. It's like I couldn't get enough.

I've started to actually make my own greek yogurt and I find it is really good for filling in the sugar void. And I can control what goes in it. Apparently there is a low calorie cheesecake you can make with it. So I am going to try it! My daughter will be the testing subject!
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyinBC For This Useful Post:
Tippingpoint (03-17-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Since I quit drinking approximately 10 24 ounce cans of beer a day of empty calories, dropping some weight was easy for me.
Going to the club at least every other day, swimming, elyptical, ec., helped get my metabolism going.
Quit candy and fast food so that helped also.
Have had a few relapses of eating an entire pizza once and eating too much of other items has occurred but hey we all slip up. Had lost 14 pounds in 5 weeks yet gained 3 back last week : (
So far doing ok. Am going to try to exercise a little more and eat more salads, veggies and fruit this week so expect more weight loss.
Good luck to all. You can do it, believe me!
Old 03-16-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Got on the scale today and lost more weight : )
Have lost now 20 pounds in just over 1 month. My body does not look the same, but I am now near my HS weight : )
Blood pressure with weight loss and medication down from around 170-115 to 120-80!
Gonne keep on working hard and hope I do not do tomorrow on St Patrick's day what I have done for the past 33 years..... drink beer!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I was about 252 lbs when i gave up, i went up to 294 over the following 12 to 15 months , staying off the drink was my main focus and building a solid foundation in that endeavour .

I'm 273 lbs eating healthily now, using techniques and methods i learned and practaice in my recovery from alcohol in relation to food , obvoiusly abstinance not being part of the food recovery, maybe abstinance from some of the things i used to crave though .

Bestwishes, M
Old 03-17-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
LDT

I was very underweight ( anorexic) when I quit drinking. When the massive cravings for sweets kicked in, I obliged, thinking what the heck...I need to gain back everything I lost and then some. So I gave into every impulse I had and did gain some weight back. But I don't think " all calories are created equal", and so gaining weight back in an unhealthy way was not smart. Eating sugar only makes you want more sugar. And for me, eating sugar creates horrible insomnia and inflammation..... I am now into my 2nd month of eating most Paleo/Primal ( after 2 years of eating sweets like a madwoman ), and I couldn't be happier. Weight is down, skin is good, middle of the night cravings gone. There's nothing like a wonderful bowl of raw ice cream to kick your cravings to the gutter!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
ABIDEBYLAW (03-18-2013), Ghostly (03-17-2013), Like2Hike (03-18-2013), mecanix (03-18-2013)