Blogs

how do I count calories

Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how do I count calories

Hubby and I have banded together to lose weight and get healthier. I have never paid attention to calorie count before and am actually having fun with it. Have a new app on my phone that makes it easy. My question is how do you add up calories on lets say a casserole? Last night I made a chicken/rice with stir fry vegies, mushrooms, chicken broth/soup. So do I have to figure each ingredient separately? Please don't tell me I have to weigh it, I'm not that much into it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tazzle For This Useful Post:
Bubovski (02-03-2013), Fernaceman (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

To accurately count everything, you really are going to have to individually input everything...All the ingredients. Really no way around this unless you want a rough, general figure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fernaceman For This Useful Post:
tazzle (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tazzle View Post
Hubby and I have banded together to lose weight and get healthier. I have never paid attention to calorie count before and am actually having fun with it. Have a new app on my phone that makes it easy. My question is how do you add up calories on lets say a casserole? Last night I made a chicken/rice with stir fry vegies, mushrooms, chicken broth/soup. So do I have to figure each ingredient separately? Please don't tell me I have to weigh it, I'm not that much into it

You could go crazy counting calories.

Just try and avoid too much sugar (its hidden everywhere), avoid too much fat, avoid too much fast food and snacks.

Make at least one normal meal a little smaller, even if only a few times a week.

Get into some daily aerobic type exercise.

Good luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubovski For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (02-03-2013), tazzle (02-03-2013), topspin (02-20-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Personally, I think a lot can be gained from counting calories and keeping track of macros if even only for a few weeks. It really puts things in perspective.

Like Fernace wrote though, I don't know of a way to do it other than individually inputting all the ingredients.

A couple years ago I kept track of every single thing I ate or drank. It was easier then though, cuz I didn't really make a lot of food with multiple ingredients. If I did it now, I'd be in the same boat as you and would have to figure this out too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
topspin (02-20-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tracking what you eat is a great way to educate yourself about nutrition. When I started out, I used cronometer. com/ to make sure I was consuming enough nutritious food. It gives you a nice breakdown of your daily intake. A lot of people don't have a clue what the hell they eat, little junk snacks here and there which 'don't count' add up over a week, month or year.

Yes I was a big fat pig once, I think I peeked at about 120KG and there ain't nothing nice about it. I faced up to a choice I had - Keep eating rubbish get fatter and die a pathetic unhappy fat slob or go the health route.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One other way to do it would be to pick up a weight watchers packet and try doing it by points instead. Not sure if you are looking for just rough numbers for comparisomes or accurate calorie count though.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Maybe get used to what 100 grams or 200 grams looks like and then you can know how many calories are in certain foods?

A serving of cheese is about the size of a matchbox for example.
A serving of meat should be the size of your palm.

I like calorie counting and I try to find ways of eating good foods with low calories, like mushrooms, celery, melon, in meals and everyday dieting.

We had a feature in our newspapers in the UK showing pictures of what 200 calories of different types of food looked like on a plain white dinner plate. No surprise 200 calories of melon was about 6 slices, 200 calories in celery was about 12 sticks, 200 calories in coke was two half glasses and in bacon about 3 rashers!