Blogs

Fasting.. anyone doing/done this?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fasting.. anyone doing/done this?

Hi, am looking to get healthy and improve my diet now I am on the right path (alcohol free)
My brother recommended fasting 2 days a week consuming only 500/600cals on these days and a regular healthy diet for the rest of the week.
Has anyone tried this or similar, did it work for you?
Thankyou
Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

What are you getting those calories from on the days you are fasting? What are you hoping to gain from fasting? What is you brother thinking this would accomplish?

I have some experience with fasting, but nothing like two days a week. IMHO, it is good to have other things in your diet really dialed in before you would start fasting regularly.

Also, from your post I gather you my be new to being alcohol free? If so, I really think this MAY be too much to take on all at once. Consider letting your body adjust, giving it what it wants for a while till you get more comfortable with things.

Good luck and keep us posted.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
LDT (01-29-2013), topspin (01-29-2013), Windancer (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LDT

Hi Kizzy40,

All my attempts at fasting resulted in massive headaches. During the Lenten season I've tried to do this several times, and for me it just doesn't work. I've only been able to do a modified fast at best.

I agree with Ghostly..... if you are early in sobriety, fasting may not be the most advisable thing. When I was newly sober, I just concentrated on feeding my body correctly, since I had abused it for so long.
The Following User Says Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
topspin (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Be careful as fasting can throw your metabolism off. If you fast too often, your body goes into a sort of fat storing mode. I would research this well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soberlicious For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (02-07-2013), LDT (01-29-2013), topspin (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi thankyou for the replies, it is being researched here at the moment and is recommended by Dr Micheal Mosely he made a Horizon documentary on the subject. (can we post links?)
Some call it intermittant fasting (2 days split say, mon and thurs) and theres a similar diet called the 5:2.
It is a reduced calorie intake but you eat a breakfast and an evening meal, just a very restricted one. Plenty of water, green tea or black coffee..
The rest of the time you eat as you would normally, that's it...
I did my own version today as I feel like some have said i'm not in the best of health so upped my calorie intake to 800.
I ate very well, my plate was full and I felt satisfied. Had my usual supplements too. Will eat normally tomorrow and do this again on thurs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kizzy40 For This Useful Post:
LDT (01-29-2013), topspin (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Healthy balanced diet, loads of fresh vegetables and fruit, plenty of water and exercise.

Why fast?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xune For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
Healthy balanced diet, loads of fresh vegetables and fruit, plenty of water and exercise.

Why fast?
Fasting is said to aid in the repair of damaged cells during the very limited time that calories are so restricted.
It is not for everyone, we all choose different routes to good health.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kizzy40 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LDT

Congrats on your sober time, Kizzy ( sorry I just now saw it ). I agree everyone needs to find their own path. I just know that for ME, fasting at 37 days sober would not have been healthy. But then again, I was still fighting anorexia at 37 days.

If you can post a link, I would like to read about the research. I've not heard about fasting repairing damaged cells.
The Following User Says Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
topspin (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Here is a BBC link LDT, BBC News - The power of intermittent fasting
The Following User Says Thank You to kizzy40 For This Useful Post:
LDT (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Intermittent Fasting is fairly popular right now. I've considered it, but don't think I am interested in it right now. Unless we're talking about two different things, it isn't really fasting two days a week. Its fasting for about 16 hours most days, so you eat the majority of your food in an 8 hour window. However, there is a lot more to it than that. A lot of people claim they have seen success with that.

IMHO, shorter bursts of fasting does send the body into starvation mode, and can help with fat loss. Again though, make sure you prioritize sobriety.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
LDT (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kizzy40 View Post
From the exact story you linked;

'Current medical opinion is that the benefits of fasting are unproven and until there are more human studies it's better to eat at least 2000 calories a day. '
Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
From the exact story you linked;

'Current medical opinion is that the benefits of fasting are unproven and until there are more human studies it's better to eat at least 2000 calories a day. '
As stated there are further trials being carried out now, nothing is set in stone there is no single 'one size fits all' answer to maintaining your body as we are all different.
The key is to calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate) this is personal as it is determined by three factors, your height, weight and age. It will give the calorie intake required for your body to function.
The AMR (active metabolic rate) takes this figure and depending how active you are calculates how many calories you need to go about your daily life.

2000cals is not a 'magic' number.
As I said it is not for everyone, I have found it so far to be the most beneficial for me
Old 01-30-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just heard about the 5:2 diet last night on TV it sounded like an interesting option to me and I liked the idea because it is not total fasting, you can eat 500 calories on the 2 fasting days. I think this could be a good diet option for those of us that have difficulty saying 'no forever' to certain foods, with this diet you can eat pretty much what you want 5 days a week and then the 2 days of fasting you can adjust to doing w/o certain foods. Without intending to I've often lived this way as I often have 1-2 days a week where I eat very little or not at all just because I'm busy or not interested in food and whenever I do go a day w/o eating or eating very little I feel very 'cleansed' the next day. I think whatever works for you do it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamdls For This Useful Post:
kizzy40 (01-30-2013), LDT (01-30-2013)