Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group Part 4

Old 02-09-2013, 12:00 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Nice to see so many advice and new members here

I try to limit my coffee-intake as much as possible too, as it makes me anxious for a few hours. However during the first hour after a cup I turn into "super-focused, brain at double speed" Geralt , that's why it's so hard to resist, especially when I need to get stuff done.

Ghostly, do you really feel that bad physically after eating trail-mix, or is more a mental thing? I don't think it's that bad too have one kind of food that is not super-healthy, while the rest of your diet is. I made peace with my nemesis, Dutch cheese, a long time ago, now we have a good relationship - I eat it, the cheese doesn't protest
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Geralt For This Useful Post:
AliceTW (02-09-2013), CaiHong (02-09-2013), Ghostly (02-09-2013), jamdls (02-11-2013), LDT (02-09-2013), topspin (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Thanks LDT - I've tried the self-taught beginner classes before... I end up looking like someone who's lost a contact lens and is looking for it while standing on one leg using an invisible hula hoop. I remember I liked the Wii fit version, the balance meters and what-not. I will look into the youtube vids though, give it another shot.

Congrats on three years. That's amazing. Today I finally changed my Facebook bookmark to the news feed instead of my personal page. It only just occurred to me that the reason I originally set my bookmark to my personal page was because the first thing I used to do when I woke up in the mornings was to check my facebook to see what embarrassing status updates and photos I'd posted the night before. No need for that anymore.

I've never been a pancake fan, sadly. I had a banana pancake recipe not long ago that you might like... If I can find it I'll post it.

Ghostly - I'm terribly food ignorant, I'll post that upfront I had a peach tree growing in my front yard and had to post photos of the fruit on facebook to figure out what it was. Turned out to be a sad little tree though, the fruit never ripened fully and was sour-as when I tasted it.

Marking/branding is all very interesting. My assignment is on the Status Goods market (eg products/services where a significant portion of the perceived value of purchase is related to the status one infers buy using the product, rather than by the quality, price etc - eg clothing brands, car makes, even books people choose to carry with them in public). It's interesting... but I'll be glad when I've finished all my marketing courses.

Mmm frozen meals I love a good frozen dinner, had Asian lamb shanks with some sort of bean and mushroom mix tonight. I grew up and lived for most of my life in a very small, rural town that didn't get fresh meat (it came in frozen and only in the basic cuts), and had a very limited supply of "fresh" fruit and veg brought in once or twice a week. So I've never been fussy with food, as I've never really gotten into cooking (what's the point when you literally can't get half of the ingredients on a recipe). I have to agree with you on the frozen veg though, nothing nicer than fresh-cooked veggies, especially broccoli. I wouldn't put cheese on it though, that sounds a bit gross. I went a bit berserk I first moved to the city, and was cooking u pa storm. That's subsided now, though. I enjoy it but I take forever (making broccoli and cheese would take me probably 30 minutes). Micro-meals are nice and quick, especially at the end of a long day.

Gelart - I've just noticed you're from the Netherlands - that explains the bikes I couldn't believe the numberer of bikes I saw in Amsterdam, crazy! And dutch cheese? It's all Gouda.

Sorry for the long post... it's only because I'm working on my uni assignment and procrastinating, my usual posts will be shorter haha!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AliceTW For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (02-09-2013), Geralt (02-09-2013), Ghostly (02-09-2013), jamdls (02-11-2013), LDT (02-09-2013), topspin (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  
LDT

Post away, Alice....good stuff.... But " I love a good frozen dinner"......Hhhm...Reminds me of when I saw one of my coworkers eating a frozen dinner at work. He told me the meal was called ..... "Lean and Tasty"...... I told him I thought that was an oxymoron ( lol). And yes please...post the banana pancake recipe.

But seriously....Ghostly is right....I'm not to be trusted. but then again, as Geralt suggested... Things might just all be in his head.

I have the Yoga Wii as well. It's a very good tool for learning the actual postures.... I'm giving you a virtual high five for looking into yoga....it's a really underestimated form of "exercise". I go to a class because I enjoy the torture aspect of it. My teacher is currently realigning every move I make....thus making me feel like I am back at square one( after 5 years of practicing.... Sigh ).

I looked up the raw food diet . I read all about the pros and cons ....really interesting, but I don't think I could do it. Still...I am fascinated by new forms of eating. I have 2 students that I teach....one is vegan and one is a vegetarian. I'm constantly picking their brain . My blood type is O positive, so, as we all I know, I have to eat meat.....meat with a side of meat.

Yesterday we went to buy the seafood for the big gumbo my DH is making today. I kid you not, there was a gigantic display/carousel of wine at every single corner of each aisle...in between aisles....everywhere I looked...wine wine wine..... No doubt they were stocked to the gills for the Mardi Gras revelers ( a parade was about to start ). 3rd sober Mardi Gras and that was still a bit uncomfortable. Always...Stay...Vigilant....Friends.

I'm play a Mardi Gras Ball tonight with the orchestra....want to guess at how much wine will be flowing there? No worries...got my Perrier!!

Sorry for the Saturday morning ramble.... obviously I need more coffee.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
AliceTW (02-09-2013), CaiHong (02-10-2013), Geralt (02-09-2013), Ghostly (02-09-2013), jamdls (02-11-2013), topspin (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!

I'm a newbie (again) and I'm not only trying to get sober, but also eat healthy. I really believe in 'eating clean' as much as possible. I schedule 'treat meals' - 1 night for subway and 1 pizza/wings night.
I've come to realize, for me, planning is the key! If I don't plan and cook in advance, I'm in trouble!

I hope subscribing to this thread will help motivate me to stick to my plan every day! I'm logging my meals on myfitnesspal to keep calories in check, and I've signed up for a 10k race in April Everything is in place, I just have to take it one day at a time
Looking forward to reading all your posts!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Angela1234 For This Useful Post:
AliceTW (02-09-2013), CaiHong (02-10-2013), Geralt (02-09-2013), Ghostly (02-09-2013), jamdls (02-11-2013), LDT (02-09-2013), topspin (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  
LDT

Angel1234!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Angela1234 (02-09-2013), Ghostly (02-09-2013), topspin (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  
LDT

I need to clarify, Alice..... I don't have 3 years sobriety....I have 3 sober Mardi Gras. I got sober a few days before Mardi Gras 2011.... I still can't let my guard down, though ( no one should ) That's why I come visit the good people here
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
AliceTW (02-09-2013), CaiHong (02-10-2013), Ghostly (02-09-2013), jamdls (02-11-2013), topspin (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi peeps ,
Have bought and read Allan Carr's lose weight now in the last 3 weeks . Have gone back to my mostly pulses, fruit and veg diet with maybe once or twice a week meat or fish , depending how i feel .
Learning to find out how different foods make me feel , Learning to develop a hunger and learning how to slowly savour the forfillment of that appatite rather than just stuffing myself are all important it seems. I think drinking plastered over a lot of the enjoyment available in savouring each moment of life . It turned me into or i let myself get turned into an "auto-glutton" ..

Have lost 9lb so far , will pop by when i remember to scroll the forums down this far !

Bestwishes, M
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mecanix For This Useful Post:
AliceTW (02-09-2013), Geralt (02-11-2013), Ghostly (02-09-2013), LDT (02-09-2013), Muunray (02-10-2013), topspin (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Morning all. I did well yesterday, only deviated a little from the plan. I had some steaks in the fridge that I needed to use so I ended up having them as well as my planned dinner, so that was a bit naughty, but better than wasting good meat by feeding to the dogs (it needed to be used yesterday or thrown today)

Haha, Lean Cruisine... another quality frozen meal. I'd much rather eat a nice home-cooked meal, but it gets very disheartening cooking for one - all that effort for a tiny serve, or you cook up a big meal then just have to freeze it anyway. These are the meals I have for dinners (and also the website if you're curious about it) https://www.liteneasy.com.au/nova/food_dinners.html

This is the meal plan, a good variety I think. Pikelets today http://www.liteneasy.com.au/nova/lib..._2012_1500.pdf

Re: Yoga. I did a course once in uni, it was an acting course (I took it to help build confidence with public speaking). We did a series of yoga positions at the start of each class, it was good, so I'll def give it a shot (starting tomorrow once this assignment is finished!).

I'm O pos also (universal donor high-five!) - how does that relate to meat?

Gumbo sounds fascinating, though I've only heard about it on TV shows/movies. I'm visiting the US towards the end of the year, I'll have to seek some out. I hope the performance goes well tonight, enjoy the Perrier Three sober Mardi Gras is a great achievement, no matter how many were consecutive - be proud and stay strong

Hi Angela, I'm new here also I have committed to a 12 km fun run later in the year as well... What's your plan for exercise? I'm thinking of starting with Couch to 5k to get me ready (plus going to attempt yoga).

Hi Mecanix, congrats on the 9lbs!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AliceTW For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (02-10-2013), Geralt (02-11-2013), Ghostly (02-09-2013), topspin (02-09-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AliceTW View Post

Hi Angela, I'm new here also I have committed to a 12 km fun run later in the year as well... What's your plan for exercise? I'm thinking of starting with Couch to 5k to get me ready (plus going to attempt yoga).

Hi Mecanix, congrats on the 9lbs!
Hi Alice! I've got a 10 k running app on my phone - it's a run walk program like couch to 5k but designed for 10k. When I'm using the app, usually with earphones so I can listen to my music too - the 'app' lady chimes in and tells me when to run, when to walk, and when to cool down. I love it so far!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Angela1234 For This Useful Post:
AliceTW (02-10-2013), Geralt (02-11-2013), Ghostly (02-10-2013), topspin (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  
LDT

Good Morning Heaters!

Alice, may I ask where you are going to visit in the states? I need to know in order to save you from places that serve "wannabe" gumbo.... Which is funky stew that shamefully calls itself gumbo. I want your first gumbo experience to be amazing. of course, it you aren't coming to MY house to eat my husband's killer gumbo, you won't be eating the best on earth.

And speaking of which....his seafood gumbo last night was truly one for the record books. I got home from my gig LATE last night and just had to eat a small bowl before bed. It's leftovers today for sure

Hey InPar, my latte loving friend, (where are you anyway? ) guess what my DH got? it's called an 'aerolatte'..... A tiny little gadget that froths the milk for your morning coffee. It's fantastic! I will never buy another Starbucks again. I think he got it for about $17.00 on Amazon. We like it so much we are going to buy another one to keep on our boat.

it's Leftover gumbo today, with potato salad and a rustic brown bread that I actually am going to bake hear that Geralt?). The recipe is so easy even I cannot screw it up .

Happy Sunday!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
Geralt (02-11-2013), Ghostly (02-10-2013), mecanix (02-11-2013), topspin (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

LDT-it actually works? We bought one and it was a piece of crap, spent like 20 bucks on it too at a specialty store. Does it really make good foam?
Funny you should mention the lattes because I'm back on them. Dammit!!!! They're just so gd GOOD. The thing is that the straight americanos I've been drinking have been too acidic and hurting my stomach. And I haven't gotten around to buying soy milk, I've been sick.
Haven't been posting lately because to be honest we've been eating really boring food lately! Not much to write home about, as they say. Been prett good though, except last night I ate almost an entire tub (small one) of caramel chocolate ice cream that my bf brought me. I had been miserable all day and it was cold and soothing on my throat. Oh well.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
Fernaceman (02-10-2013), Geralt (02-11-2013), Ghostly (02-10-2013), LDT (02-10-2013), mecanix (02-11-2013), topspin (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I am finding myself eating a lot of carbs consuming fruits and veggies. And a lot of sugar, technically, through the fruits.

Is this bad??
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fernaceman For This Useful Post:
Geralt (02-11-2013), Ghostly (02-10-2013), LDT (02-10-2013), mecanix (02-11-2013), topspin (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

I don't know, how do you feel? Personally I don't think you can eat too many vegetables and fruits are a personal thing-for me it's too sugary to have too much.
I think if you're balancing it with a good diet otherwise it should be okay and you're a pretty active guy fm. It just comes down to how you feel. If you feel like it's too much, it probably is.
I need a nap.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
Fernaceman (02-10-2013), Geralt (02-11-2013), Ghostly (02-10-2013), mecanix (02-11-2013), topspin (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

I am day 11 of my 30 day raw food diet. Yesterday I made a raw key lime pie very tangy.
The beauty about raw desserts is that you can have your cake and eat it to.
It some of you haven't picked up on the subtletyof what I just said it means I can eat raw desserts that are healthy and don't give me cravings for more.

The other day I sat down with a sugar fiend like myself, also an AA person and he commented that after eating the choco orange mousse tart, he would normally want another dessert but felt very satisfied and no cravings. Raw desserts are so much easier and faster to make than there unhealthy counterparts.

I also made a batch of coriander, cashew nut pesto with lime chili and garlic.

I am going to reward myself after 30 days with new undergarments.

I will double my walk time today.

This is a really upbeat thread, I am really enjoying it.

LDT if I ever get to the states, I would love to taste your husbands gumbo and if you ever get to Vietnam you must have a raw meal at my restaurant.

Furnaceman I used to worry about if Inate too much sugar if I partook of too much fruit and for me it was so much better to eat lots of fruit than lots of cakes and candy.
I eat as much fruit as I like now with no I'll effects and no cravings for more sugar which I got from white sugar products.
I listen to my body now and if something works for me I go for it. Raw food definitely is the best diet I have been on and the best way of cleansing the body.
CaiHong
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaiHong For This Useful Post:
Fernaceman (02-10-2013), Geralt (02-11-2013), InParticular (02-11-2013), LDT (02-10-2013), mecanix (02-11-2013), topspin (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
LDT

That's a deal CaiHong!! Where can I get recipes for these raw desserts?

InPar....yes, our aerolatte works beautifully. I don't use sweetener in my coffee.

Lent starts Wednesay, and I am gearing up for a rigorous diet/exercise regimen for the 6 weeks following. I am looking to step up and shake up things a LOT!! My "plan" is still forming.....more later on that one.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (02-10-2013), Fernaceman (02-10-2013), Geralt (02-11-2013), Ghostly (02-10-2013), InParticular (02-11-2013), topspin (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll stick with it for a while because I really do feel pretty great these days. Sure is better and beats anything I was up to in my crazy days.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fernaceman For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (02-10-2013), Geralt (02-11-2013), Ghostly (02-10-2013), InParticular (02-11-2013), LDT (02-10-2013), mecanix (02-11-2013), topspin (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fernaceman View Post
I am finding myself eating a lot of carbs consuming fruits and veggies. And a lot of sugar, technically, through the fruits.

Is this bad??
Fruits and vegetables are packed with fiber, vitamins and nutrition. Keep them close to their natural state and they will not make you fat or cause any bad health effects. Whereas if you cover fried potato with sour cream and cheese or only eat fruit flavoured ice-cream - then yeah you can figure the rest out

Most fruit contains fructose, it's processed by your liver and doesn't cause the blood sugar spike that other sugars can. The thing to remember is it's delivery method to your body is very important, the fiber content of fruit is critical. The fructose product you'd want to avoid is high-fructose corn syrup, its the sweetener that's used in most refined foods. Consumption of it has been linked to fatty liver disease, so considering our backgrounds it should be avoided at all costs IMO.

The same principals apply with meat consumption, i'm thinking a piece of grassed feed beef (say t-bone) vs a meat pie which could contain snouts, ears, tongues, tendons and blood vessels, hoofs, penises, skin, hair and yes even foetuses. All from 100's of different animals - not to mention a lot of salt, preservatives, fat and chemicals etc.. In Australia a meatpie only needs to be 25% meat WTF?????
Give me the whole cut of meat any day thank you, i'll choose health

Personally I found early on that eating a lot of fruit and veggies made any cravings for booze non-existent. I reckon there is a PHD study waiting to be done.

Apologies for the rant the SAD diet really gets me going.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fatandsad For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (02-10-2013), Fernaceman (02-10-2013), Geralt (02-11-2013), Ghostly (02-10-2013), InParticular (02-11-2013), LDT (02-10-2013), mecanix (02-11-2013), topspin (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Thanks for the info, f&s! Makes me feel better. I eat a lot of bananas, pineapple, grapes, strawberries, melon, blueberries, blackberries...pretty much anything but apples and oranges. Dunno why I don't care for those too much!

Good info on fructose.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fernaceman For This Useful Post:
Geralt (02-11-2013), Ghostly (02-10-2013), InParticular (02-11-2013), mecanix (02-11-2013), topspin (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Ghostly, do you really feel that bad physically after eating trail-mix, or is more a mental thing?
A bit of both. Fact is, I eat the whole bag and its half of the calories I should eat for an entire day, plus way to many carbs and sugar. I get your point though, and I try not to stress bout it. At this point I only have it once a week or less, so that's not too bad.

Welcome Angela and mecanix!

Fernace - If your goal were to lose fat (I'm not sure if it is or not), then I'd be on the other side of the fence than others here. Some people find the sugar / carbs in fruit can affect fat loss. Before people freak out, I'm not saying not to eat fruit. I don't care. Eat it. Again though, some people feel that the sugar and carbs can affect weight loss, and therefore, may be better to limit it (or certain types) if fat loss is the goal.

However, it seems like your doing well, and if you're feeling good, I'd say eat as much as you want while still meeting your goals. I'd also say your diet would have to be really dialed in before you have to worry about fruit anyway.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Geralt (02-11-2013), InParticular (02-11-2013), mecanix (02-11-2013), topspin (02-11-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Hey folks, just a quick check in as I haven't got anything exciting to talk about

I did OK yesterday, stuck to the food I was meant to have. I was hungry when I went to bed but not ravenous. I think this is a good sign... before it's been all or nothing, not slightly hungry, I'd go from not even thinking of food then bang, starving.

Stuck to my food for today also, almost ate an apple. I really dislike the texture of fruit so I find it difficult to eat it, but I'm forcing myself. I make sure that if I'm not eating a piece of fruit then I at least have one of those fruit cup things of dieced fruit in juice.

LDT - not sure yet on where we're going. At this stage the only place we know for sure is New York (my boyfriend's running the maraton).
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AliceTW For This Useful Post:
CaiHong (02-10-2013), Geralt (02-11-2013), Ghostly (02-11-2013), InParticular (02-11-2013), mecanix (02-11-2013), topspin (02-11-2013)