Blogs

Back in the Saddle

Old 09-01-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

Back in the Saddle

Even though I cycled while using and abusing, today was my first ride sober - 6 days sober. I'd taken some time off riding (medical procedure and Isaac - sidelined me) and while getting sober this past week I was too tired to ride.

My last ride was 4 weeks ago and it was 50 miles with a hang over. I could only muster 30 miles today, but I am excited about trying to improve my riding while sober. Once I get some weight off, maybe I can even jog again (my cardio of choice).

Any "living sober" folks who ride or run that can share their stories of improvement or just the love of cycling in general?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammy711 For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-01-2012), MesoFreak (09-02-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats Tammy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
tammy711 (09-03-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevivingOphelia For This Useful Post:
tammy711 (09-03-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Congratulations on your determination and your 30 miler Tammy.

Today I make my need to be healthy and fit stronger than any desire to get loaded.

I am getting ready to do one of my favorite centuries next weekend. From Irvine CA to San Diego along the Pacific. Fourth year in a row I do this ride.

Three years ago I was preparing for it. Had been sober for several months. Riding, training, eating right and about 3 weeks before it, I started what turned out to be a 6 to 7 weeks bender.

I was committed to doing the ride with a couple of friends, so I stopped drinking 2 days before that Saturday. Was miserable and in quite a fog that day, but I did it. Unfortunately I picked up a bottle of scotch on my way home to continue the insanity. Half of the bottle was gone less than 3 hours after I finished the ride.

Have been sober for 23 months now. I try to do 3 -20 mile "time trial" workouts per week and a 60 to 80 mile club ride 3 or 4 Sundays per month.

In pace to do 5 centuries this year. The last one 5 days before my 60th birthday in November..... My way to celebrate today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomdecel For This Useful Post:
tammy711 (09-03-2012), topspin (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Tammy,

several folks over on the KA thread mix in cycling.

It has always been my go-to method for cardio since a couple of sports related knee surgeries as a kid (in the early 70's )

I got sober in 2010, and found my times got better as the weight came off.

Congrats on your new life .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-02-2012), tammy711 (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

using wine as a reward

Originally Posted by tomdecel View Post
Congratulations on your determination and your 30 miler Tammy.

Today I make my need to be healthy and fit stronger than any desire to get loaded.

I am getting ready to do one of my favorite centuries next weekend. From Irvine CA to San Diego along the Pacific. Fourth year in a row I do this ride.

Three years ago I was preparing for it. Had been sober for several months. Riding, training, eating right and about 3 weeks before it, I started what turned out to be a 6 to 7 weeks bender.

I was committed to doing the ride with a couple of friends, so I stopped drinking 2 days before that Saturday. Was miserable and in quite a fog that day, but I did it. Unfortunately I picked up a bottle of scotch on my way home to continue the insanity. Half of the bottle was gone less than 3 hours after I finished the ride.

Have been sober for 23 months now. I try to do 3 -20 mile "time trial" workouts per week and a 60 to 80 mile club ride 3 or 4 Sundays per month.

In pace to do 5 centuries this year. The last one 5 days before my 60th birthday in November..... My way to celebrate today.
I use to use my riding as a good reason to drink. Not that I actually needed one. It was like my reward for riding. I'd get on the bike about 7:30 AM and home by 11:00 - trashed by 1:00 :-\

I haven't had that urge in the 3 rides I took this long weekend, and I hope I never do again. I am cautious and like you, I want to make health and fitness my focus and make it more important than any type of alcohol high/drunk.

Thanks for sharing!

Tammy