Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group Part 3

Old 09-03-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Lots of meat on the grill this Labor day weekend! Yum...babybacks, and chicken. Lots of salad too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tres For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (09-10-2012), Ghostly (09-04-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

No, the Canadian Rockies. Banff and Jasper National Parks. Gorgeous.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (09-10-2012), Geralt (09-05-2012), Ghostly (09-04-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Very cool InP.

I have really let myself slip a lot the last couple weeks (had some significant changes happen - NO excuses though!). Trying to get back to it.

One problem is we have had a lot of company lately, and there is tons of bad food around. I throw out some, but other stuff sits there, calling my name...saying, "Ghosty. I'm not that bad. Just eat me, and we'll start all over tomorrow. I'm real yummy. Its ok, everyone eats things like me. Just eat me Ghosty."

Seriously...the food has literally said this to me. I made some salsa to eat with meat (which is ok for me to eat), but then a bag of potato chips kept at me, saying those things I wrote above. The chips were begging to be eaten with the salsa. The chips pointed out to me, they were only like three ingredients...potato, oil of some sort, and salt or something, therefore...were an ok food to eat. I ignored it, and went to bed.

I woke up at 3am, and the bag of chips had climbed onto me, and come open. The chips were forcing their way into my mouth. Seriously. I am NOT kidding. This really happened! Freaky...I know!

Either that, or none of that happened, and I just finally gave in, and mowed them all down in about 5 minutes while I dipped them in the salsa as I Watched tv. Not sure which, but for a while felt like I was writing a Dean Koontz book.

Anyway...my other addiction of trail mix has come back. I sometimes mix my own but C'mon...look at the added sugar in dried fruit...ridiculous! Then for sugar free its ridiculously expensive. Then the other kinds...with chocolate and caramel...and other things. So yummy!

So, I'm planning on getting a fruit dehydrator, one that makes jerky too, which will save money in the long run, and give me fruit without added sugar.

S L O W L Y I am starting to replace so many foods I used to buy, with homemade versions I make. Guac, salsa, almond flour...even vegetable trays...I just make my own now and won't pay a ridiculous amount for a few dried up veggies someone put on a tray?!?!?!?

Plus wife and I are hoping to have a garden soon...but it will be a while. So anyway, hoping to start making my own dried fruit for a H E A L T H Y trail mix snack soon.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (09-10-2012), Geralt (09-05-2012), InParticular (09-04-2012), jamdls (09-05-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 11:08 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I LOOOVE trail mix! Have you ever heard it called "gorp"? We buy this kind that has unsalted nuts and yogurt chips and dried cranberries. Oh my gad.

Potato chips, well, I just don't buy them. It is danger zone.

Back at school which means coffee, coffee, coffee! I drink so much coffee at school. There's a Starbucks in the library, those evil SOBs. As far as food goes I don't eat wheat or most gluten so that cuts out pretty much everything on campus and everything else I can't afford, so I end up bringing my own food to school which is pretty healthy. Some of the stuff people eat in the caf everyday, oh my god. Burger n' fry city. And donuts. Have any of you ever heard of Tim Horton's? It's a pretty big deal in Canada. Soooooo unhealthy. Donuts and chemical-ridden coffee. And people just LOVE it. Anyway. I digress.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (09-10-2012), Geralt (09-05-2012), Ghostly (09-05-2012), jamdls (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 05:06 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Lol, Ghostly was it this fella?:

Wouldn't a dehydrator take all the nutrients away from the fruit?

@Inparticular - I have a few coffee-free days under my belt again, but staying away from coffee at my previous jobs was the toughest part. So frustrating, when people drink it like water and I get anxious after just 1 cup.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geralt For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (09-10-2012), Ghostly (09-05-2012), jamdls (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
One problem is we have had a lot of company lately, and there is tons of bad food around. I throw out some, but other stuff sits there, calling my name...saying, "Ghosty. I'm not that bad. Just eat me, and we'll start all over tomorrow. I'm real yummy. Its ok, everyone eats things like me. Just eat me Ghosty."

Seriously...the food has literally said this to me. I made some salsa to eat with meat (which is ok for me to eat), but then a bag of potato chips kept at me, saying those things I wrote above. The chips were begging to be eaten with the salsa. The chips pointed out to me, they were only like three ingredients...potato, oil of some sort, and salt or something, therefore...were an ok food to eat. I ignored it, and went to bed.

I woke up at 3am, and the bag of chips had climbed onto me, and come open. The chips were forcing their way into my mouth. Seriously. I am NOT kidding. This really happened! Freaky...I know!

LMAO !! Your little girl is going to love the stories daddy tells! Too funny!

I've been eating pretty good appetite is back but I still can't stomach seafood or meat so just veggies/fruit/salads/yogurt and no sugar. I did buy a bag of gluten free pretzels over the weekend and ate the whole thing though...bad me...but they are gone now so they can't hurt me anymore. I still haven't lost any weight even though I only eat about 1000-1200 calories a day but that's because I don't get any exercise ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamdls For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (09-10-2012), Ghostly (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Geralt- have you tried eating when you have coffee? I find that drinking coffee on an empty stomach makes me much more anxious and eating something helps. Just a thought. Good job on the few days! I've pretty much given up.
The Following User Says Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (09-10-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:23 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Argonaut

@Inparticular

Yes, since I quit drinking I eat 4-6 meals a day and always a breakfast, it doesn't seem to affect my anxiety (or perhaps it would only be bigger if I didn't have breakfast).

Don't give up though! Perhaps try a weekend without coffee? I noticed a sharp drop in anxiety since the last couple of days, so I am going to continue this experiment.
coffeenut (09-10-2012), Ghostly (09-05-2012), InParticular (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Argh, it's frustrating. I just depend on it so much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InParticular For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (09-10-2012), Ghostly (09-05-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

What's happened to this thread!? Where is everyone?

Hey, any thoughts on the Raw Food diet? I'm starting to look for solutions to my constantly upset stomach and iffy moods. Have read that raw food is amazing for health. Has anyone ever tried it or know someone who is a raw foodist?

I'm eating healthier now than I ever have in my life: low sugar, no wheat, no booze, but I still don't feel like I'm eating the right things. I want to make a change and take it to the next level. I know it's possible to feel amazing, and I really want to get there!

That being said, I'm craving chocolate in a big way, roasting a sweet potato right now so I can make sweet potato brownies in the morning. Yum! :rotfxko
coffeenut (09-10-2012), Ghostly (09-08-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Holy crap those brownies are good. I've eaten five of them. FIVE!!!!
coffeenut (09-10-2012), Ghostly (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Yes, yes I am alive, but I have a cold, Inparticular. Darn air-conditioning in stores.

I have started writing down what I eat, at which time and approx. the amount of calories. So far it works, it feels so stupid to write down something very unhealthy and calorie-rich, so I eat less and quite healthy for the last couple of days

So to answer your question, perhaps there is no need to aim for perfection. I think the people in this thread eat healthier than 90% of the general population and we should be proud of that.
coffeenut (09-10-2012), Ghostly (09-10-2012), InParticular (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Hm, maybe you're right. I definitely could give myself more credit because yeah I think I eat pretty good I guess.

Good plan with the writing down what you eat, that is smart. Hope you feel better soon!
coffeenut (09-10-2012), Geralt (09-11-2012), Ghostly (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
6/20/08

What IS going on with this thread? Ghost is hearing voices and the whole thing goes to pot!

Had a delicious dinner of salad, corn and a tomato and cheese sammy last night. About 9:30 I went bailing out of bed....sick! What the hell?! Much better today....
The Following User Says Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Just saw the dehydrator talk.....I used to do jerky and apples all the time. They really do work and it's much cheaper than store bought.

I don't think it affects nutrients. But then, I could be wrong....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Geralt (09-11-2012), Ghostly (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by Geralt View Post

Wouldn't a dehydrator take all the nutrients away from the fruit?
Awesome pic Geralt! I have read that dehydrating preserves most the vitamins, but not sure. Doesn't really matter though, because the point it I will eat it. Either it will be store bought with added sugar and sold in a plastic bag that will be here forever, or mine (hopefully) with no added sugar.

Curious...why are you writing your food down as opposed to using an internet option like Fitday?

Good to know Coffee that you used to use a dehydrator! Why did you stop?

I haven't been here much. Partly because I've been busy and partly because I haven't been eating great. The problem I wrote about before of having a lot of bad food around for company has continued and its pissing me off. I have will power with a lot of things, but the bad food sitting there for days has gotten me. Still, not as bad as it coulda and hoping to get my dehydrator and make some healthy(ier) snacks to calm things.

InP - I've read a bit about raw food diets. Some people love em. Personally, I'm not a big supporter. I think a lot of food digests better when cooked. Again though, some people think they're great.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (09-12-2012), Geralt (09-11-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 11:03 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Yeah, a part of me thinks the raw diet seems awesome, but it seems awesome in theory, and it seems like you need to be a chef who has six hours a day to spend cooking if you want to eat anything other than a thousand apples and oranges a day.

I don't know about you but I just don't have that kind of time.
coffeenut (09-12-2012), Geralt (09-11-2012), Ghostly (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Argonaut

@Ghostly I think you and coffee are right, at least some nutrients must stay after dehydration, some of the minerals and vitamins. And fiber of course, which is always good!

Thanks for Fitday, I tried it and it has some cool info. Here are my stats for today (not in chronological order):

But it takes a long time to find the right food and/or translate it from Dutch, I didn't have turkey but pork ham slices today, couldn't find it lol. And champignons well I hope those are white mushrooms

I don't mind being 200 calories +-, it's more about average and not eating so much cheese!!!! I realized that I was really like a mouse the last couple of months, I think I easily had a pound of cheese a week. Hopefully I can drop below 70kg since years with this new diet.

There is also a cool section on Fitday with general health, fitness and nutrition info, so thanks for that Ghost!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Geralt For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (09-12-2012), Ghostly (09-11-2012), InParticular (09-11-2012), Panacea (09-26-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 04:58 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I'm not sure why I quit using the darn thing. Then, I ended up giving it to my daughter....so now I"m really out. It was a good one that was quiet.

And Ghost.....just RRRRRRRRROFLing with food pissing you off comments! I totally get it...why do we do those things to ourselves?
The Following User Says Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-12-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Glad Fitday is working for you Geralt. I found it very valuable for the few weeks I used it.

Dehydrating for the first time as I write this. I'll have to let y'all know how it goes. Should have some done tomorrow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (09-16-2012), Geralt (09-13-2012)