Blogs

advice on diet

Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

advice on diet

my limited carb diet has greatly curtailed cravings for alcohol. almost non-existent (almost). However, my running energy is getting knocked way down. I keep trying to pretend its how marathoners feel when they hit the wall. its not fun. in 10 days, I can bring in low glycemic index carbs. I cannot wait for steel cut oats. It used to be salty snacks and beer. now I just want my glucose reserves back. anyone experience this? any advice?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

This is a topic that interests me. What I am going to write does not have to do with Recovery, and is rather just about general nutrition.

I follow a Paleo diet. With this, I avoid grains and gluten. My carbs come from veggies and other things. I do try to keep them fairly low, and very low when compared to a typical Western diet. A lot of my carbs come from yams, which I eat almost daily, and are part of my PWO meal.

I have looked into Ketosis, and even entertained the idea of trying to go into it. About a year ago, I was trying to lean out and was keeping my carbs really low, like 10 - 30 grams a day. At this same time I was exercising regularly. It was a bad experience. I had absolutely no energy. Nothing.

I've done quite a bit of reading on this and have come to this opinion: You can be low carb and still have energy for exercise, and you can go into Ketosis and do well (lean out, have energy for daily activities) without exercising much if at all, but you cannot do both. Now, there may be exceptions to this, but I haven't found any...and I looked.

So I think it's realistic to have a low carb diet, maybe under 100 grams, and still be very active and work out regularly. I also know there are many people that consume many carbs and are lean. I think someone just needs to find out where they are, what their goals are, and experiment.

I think there are many reasons to keep one's diet fairly low carb. There are also certain times it may be more beneficial to do so than others. However, I think it is generally accepted people that do long distance training need carbs. However, this does not have to come from grains.

Anyway...not sure if this is what you were looking for or not. I guess from what you wrote, I am not surprised you had no energy for running. You wouldn't on that low of a carb diet. I think you are right to be concerned with the GI aspect of it too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
wonderfullife (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ghost,

I have checked out more of your thread on nutrition. I went from tons of juice (thought it was healthy) and tons of whole grain carbs to a diet of meat, veggies, nuts, eggs, beans,cheese, and some milk. So my carb level went down for me but it seems like it might be high compared to you. I assume you have some experience changing from one diet to another. so my question to you is this. Could my fatigue simply be my body adjusting to the new diet or do you think that my carb intake is simply to low. I should add that I do eat quite a bit of the above foods. Thanks.

Wonder (much better that WL, good call)
The Following User Says Thank You to wonderfullife For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

I do my version of "carb rotation". Monday to Friday I eat my share of carbs, but only in the morning to early afternoon and only from natural sources (fruits, raw vegetables, raw oats, and beans). Then I load up by Saturday (whole wheat pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes) to carb up for my long bike rides on Sundays. I have plenty of energy to do 100 to 120 miles per week on the bike plus work 50 to 60 hours per week.

When I do feel my energy level going down: bananas, peaches, nectarines work just great for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomdecel For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (05-17-2012), wonderfullife (05-18-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Wonder - I assumed form your original post that your carb intake was really low, but I may have been wrong. The biggest change I felt relative to a diet change was what I wrote about above, when I went really low carb. Well...that and when I went from a clean diet to a crappy one...which was a horrible feeling.

IMHO, yeah, it could be your body adjusting. It could also be that your body doesn't like some of the foods your putting in it. Consider using Fitday, or some other program to log your food in and really figure out exactly what you're getting for macro's and other things. Not sure if you've used it before. I did, it was a pain at first, but so beneficial and got much easier. The other thing is to consider taking foods out for 30 days to see how it affects you. I learned a lot from that as well.

You are still really early to sobriety, so your body is adjusting to that big time. Relax, sleep when you need, and give your body time.

Again, just IMHO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
wonderfullife (05-18-2012)