Blogs

alcohol substitutions

Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcohol substitutions

I love to cook and am finding some alcohol called for in recipes hard to substitute.

OK, for white wine I just use chicken broth but what about for red wine, or brandy or vermouth?

Any ideas? TIA
Old 04-09-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep in mind this is for the general population - I don't personally recommend you use NA anything in cooking (ew) or substitute one kind of alcohol for another

Alcohol Cooking Substitutions - Alcohol Substitute Recipes

D
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-09-2012), jamdls (04-10-2012), SteppingItUp (05-29-2012), zanzibar (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love to cook too, but since getting sober I will not add wine or any other alcoholic beverage to my food.

I substitute with homemade chicken stock (ice) cubes that add richness in flavor when melted. A brown stock or beef stock mixed with the juices from a sautéed mushroom and onion mix does the trick for me in terms of red wine substitutes. Not perfect, but I've gotten used to it. I'll also use a splash of orange juice or lime juice…and always a good healthy dose of spice.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vantrina For This Useful Post:
bloss (05-19-2012), Ghostly (05-03-2012), jamdls (05-04-2012), sugarbear1 (05-07-2012), zanzibar (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Keep in mind this is for the general population - I don't personally recommend you use NA anything in cooking (ew) or substitute one kind of alcohol for another

Alcohol Cooking Substitutions - Alcohol Substitute Recipes

D
Thank you very much for the link. It's in my farouirites file now. I used to use an artificial JD flavouring years ago, but it was so close that I found myself craving it. I never even thought of searching alternatives.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol usually cooks off from the heat. I used to work in a restaurant where we lit a sauce on fire with Bacardi 151. The chefs assured me that the alcohol actually burns off from the heat.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBCyaLaterBooze View Post
Alcohol usually cooks off from the heat. I used to work in a restaurant where we lit a sauce on fire with Bacardi 151. The chefs assured me that the alcohol actually burns off from the heat.
completely right.. there's nothing wrong with using alcohol when cooking, it cooks off and it does add flavor.. nothing wrong with red wine if added in moderation
Old 05-14-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JEANS

I agree that alcohol burns off from the heat but you it would mean actually buying the alcohol and then having it in the house and then your addictive voice may try and push you into pouring more in next time.

Sorry for that rant but I personally don't think it's worth the risk when sobriety is so precious to us all.

I'm not sure if this would work but maybe juicing white or red grapes?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeans For This Useful Post:
bloss (05-19-2012)