Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group Part 2

Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Dinner: grilled chicken breast with steamed broccoli and roasted beets and sweet potatoes with olive oil and garlic.

I'm stuffed. And happy to not have had any booze today!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilac0721 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-12-2012), Ghostly (02-11-2012), topspin (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Sounds good Lilac.

Ok...lets focus on today, and not the horrible weekend I had food wise.

Today I had some veggies cooked in coconut oil, cage free eggs and sausage from the pig we bought. Made some Paleo pancakes and had some of those with almond butter and honey.

Now, we're slow cooking ham. Put some honey, cinnamon and cayenne pepper in with it, so I'll see (or taste) how that turns out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-17-2012), lilac0721 (02-12-2012), topspin (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Ghostly: YUM! I love love love coconut oil.

I just had a dinner of stewed pork, potatoes, kale, carrots, celery, red onions in chicken broth with thyme, garlic and rosemary. Delish! Cooking sober is so much fun and hey, I can appreciate the taste of food so much better!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilac0721 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-17-2012), Ghostly (02-12-2012), topspin (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Uhmm, mmn,
Y'all make such tasty stuff, I have to eat dinner before I check this thread.

....or I'd be outta-my-mind hungry !?!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-17-2012), Ghostly (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 08:31 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Haha topspin that's how I so often feel especially some of my favorite food blogs!

This is pretty quick, I didn't eat so great today. Well, the one part of me thinks it's right on point, but I know restricting my intake this low just backfires. Try to do better tomorrow.
For the record
-3 egg whites + spinach + salsa
-100 cal pack of natural almonds (had while at climbing gym, least i got something in me while there)
-brussel sprouts and steamed asparagus
-steamed broccoli/mushrooms/kale
-bits and pieces of an lite ww english muffin w/a smidge of almond butter

Ghostly- I need to check out that kinda pancake, i had a low carb recipe but I think a lot call for almond meal which I'm all out of. Have flaxseed meal but I've heard that doesn't work as a substitute, have to check into that. I did just some oats/egg whites/cottage cheese/cinnamon and splenda odd conglomeration the other week. Looked horrid, but was decent!

lilac- Nice, also sweet potatoes + beets = i need to try that!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to logicalparadox For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-17-2012), Ghostly (02-12-2012), topspin (02-13-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

lparadox - The pancakes I make are made with almond flour. I sometimes use a bit of coconut flour too, but find it does not cook thoroughly in that kind of a recipe. Amazon! Your food sounds great!

Lilac...your food sounds great too...hope you check in soon.

So...I've had a good three days. The AMA would disagree, but I don't buy their standards.

Lottsa meat (fat!) in the form of ham and bacon (from the butcher, so minimally processed!), veggies and some fruit. Made some Paleo pancakes (I put a lot of fruit in mine) and been eating them. My post work out meal has been hard boiled eggs, and raw zucchini and yams. Been sticking to my normal water and coconut milk for drinking.

Today I did cheat and hit a taco bar for taco Tuesday! However, a lot of corn taco shells / tortillas are gluten free (honestly not sure if the ones I had were or not) so there was little to no gluten, no flour and I didn't use any sauce with sugar. Basically meat...a lotta cheese, onions / tomatoes / lettuce and a bit of sour cream. So it was a cheat I can deal with. Plus it was so dam yummy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-17-2012), topspin (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hey everyone come back!!

Ghostly - I really need to get more almond meal, maybe next week.

Today was pretty good. Splurged on a soy latte (it's a bit of a haul to get to a coffee joint b/c I'm currently avoiding a person who works at the one in town, that and it's also a wine bar. sigh) so that's always a good start w/ greek yogurt + cinnamon and bit raw honey

-egg white scramble w/kale/broccoli/spinach/squash + low carb la tortilla factory wrap (love those)
+ roasted kale

same as always pre/post workout hardboiled eggs (part of an walnut, oatmeal raisin cliff bar too)

-roasted brussel sprouts w/ eggplant, tomato, chickpea stew

brown rice cake + cottage cheese

some random fruit throughout day
coffeenut (02-17-2012), Ghostly (02-15-2012), topspin (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by logicalparadox View Post
(it's a bit of a haul to get to a coffee joint b/c I'm currently avoiding a person who works at the one in town, that and it's also a wine bar. sigh)
What's the story there? Why are you avoiding them? Tell us...we need to know.

Food sounded good though.

Made a twist on a dish we regularly make. Chicken, dipped in egg, breaded in coconut flour put in a pan greased with coconut oil. Then, took a yam, put it in the food processor...chopped it up nice n fine. Placed over the chicken. Then, take ham slices, from the pig we just got, lay it over the ham. Cut up some onions too. Bake in oven. At half way point, bring chicken to the top so it gets brown. Was A W E S O M E ! The twist is that we would normally use bacon instead of ham, but the ham is thicker, and makes it more of a filling meal. So, this turned out well.

BY Paradox
Hey everyone come back!!
Yeah...get back here!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-17-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Ahh, I was hooking up w/him on/off. Met when I was working at the same place...so the added mix of a)alcohol being served there b) the last time I was in there I was really really wasted c) that guy has no respect for me, nor did I have any for myself....make it a little hard to set foot in there. I just want the earth to swallow me if/when I see him/a couple of his friends again.
(really oversharing here but well i suppose this is one of the few places I can be honest...but i was um, "dancing" and after I kinda started avoiding the guy after the last time, which he was just horrid, his friends were all...haha she blew you off...as it rarely happens to him. he said the _ if I care what some junkie stripper thinks. yeah, i hid that pretty well up until that. no exactly helping my case in not being afraid to go out in public. its a small, small pocket of people though that only really are around that area thank goodness.)
uggh, sorry for that verbal dump. It's really sweet of you to ask, I didn't expect to just go on and on and on (and on) like that...but I suppose it's really getting to me.

You know, I think I'll try to recreate something like you had--dipping my tofu in eggs might be a worthwhile idea!
(i actually ate the exact same thing today, haha)
coffeenut (02-17-2012), Ghostly (02-16-2012), topspin (02-17-2012)
Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

^ Well...it was pushy of me to ask, and none of my business, but your comment intrigued me. Sorry you went through that. People are p*icks sometimes.

There are people I am embarrassed to see too. I really did some things during my drinking days that I want to hide from. Guess we both just need to be proud of where we're at now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
logicalparadox (02-17-2012), topspin (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Verbal dumps are good, here. Sometimes writing it down, helps.

If I had to make a list of things that I did drunk, Oh, Jeeze. What helps, was in those early days, I would remember them, and know I never wanted to go back to that horror.

We're glad you're here.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Geralt (02-19-2012), Ghostly (02-17-2012), jamdls (02-20-2012), logicalparadox (02-17-2012), topspin (02-19-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

This has been a pretty bad few days for me, food-wise. I've been very anxious.

I also tried on my snowboarding pants last night...GASP! They don't fit. Crap. And that is the pair I bought 2 years ago after gaining some weight.

Need suggestions for a diet/weight-loss plan. Most of my extra weight (a good 15lbs on a pretty small frame) is in my belly and hips. Mostly belly. My waist is alarmingly large considering my overall build. My mom has type 2 diabetes. I DON"T want to go there, but know that having excess fat in the belly is a warning sign.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lilac0721 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-18-2012), Geralt (02-19-2012), Ghostly (02-17-2012), jamdls (02-20-2012), topspin (02-19-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thanks ghostly and coffeenut. (I know you meant it out of caring so I didn't even think about it that way)

Lilac- I know I put weight on around my stomach, and that concerns me regardless of me not needing to lose or the like--and my stomach is the bane of my existence lol (I have very little to no waist. the only time i had what i could really see as a difference was around 110 and more so below @100 at nearly 5'9. not exactly something I can manage if I want my life to oh, not suck)
Anyhow, really I'm not a major fan of any set "diet" plan, but I like to believe I surely know and have tried them all 12 years into an eating disorder, heh. Low carb does in my experience cause the biggest immediate changes, but what matter is being able to STICK to it. It really is doing something as a lifestyle change, and the best way I can stick to that, and what makes the most sense is eating as much whole foods as possible and cutting out as many processed.
What are things you do enjoy eating the most that are healthy? Keeping a food journal and charting how you really feel can help cue you into signs and signals and the foods that best work to energize/not cause any GI discomfort etc can be a good thing to start looking into.
I don't do a traditional low carb, but I do avoid starchy carbs and really try to limit bread, I have ww low carb english muffins and wraps, and the brand ezekiel is great and really healthy. A lot of it can be just making healthier swaps. I love chips/salty things but I roast kale and that satisfies that craving. I like chocolate ice cream but it can trigger a binge, so I mix in chocolate protein powder (or dark organic cocoa and some almond butter w/ a touch of raw honey to mix it up) into vanilla greek yogurt.

this forum I went to a lot to read more about specific diets
3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community - Powered by vBulletin It's got the motherload. If nothing else I do like to mix it up w/different things from different plans especially if anything is really bothering me.
And I know that, and I assume it will take me a while, a good part of my stomach never being as lean as the rest of me regardless of my weight had to do with the excessive alcohol intake.

This blog has a lot of great tips and things and I find a lot of great meal idea and recipes.
This is Not a Diet
I eat fish, dairy, and cheese- which I feel odd even saying I'm a veggie b/c for a bit I was vegan...but too much of excuses to restrict were tied into that and I stopped that. I don't eat much animal products but I do get most of my protein from fish/greek yogurt/lf cheeses.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to logicalparadox For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-18-2012), Geralt (02-19-2012), Ghostly (02-17-2012), lilac0721 (02-18-2012), topspin (02-19-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

How have I missed this thread? Looking forward to reading and contributing!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tres For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-18-2012), Ghostly (02-17-2012), logicalparadox (02-17-2012), topspin (02-19-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

^ We look forward to your contributions Tres.

So, today I had some carrots / almond butter, blueberries and coconut milk pre work out (not my norm, but was out of things I would normally have). Post work out had hard boiled eggs and some raw yam.

For dinner...went to Arby's and got two huge a** roast beef sandwiches and a large curly fry. Ditched the buns and wrapped the roast beef around the fries, dipped it in horseradish sauce. Mowed em down. Now, this isn't exactly sticking to my diet, but it wasn't throwing out the window either, and it was Y U M M Y !
coffeenut (02-18-2012), jamdls (02-20-2012), topspin (02-19-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Well, Ghost....that is one way to enjoy a sandwich or two! We need pics.

I've had a flippy stomach lately, so sticking to real mild foods. And that's okay right now.

Enjoy the heck out of this thread. Thanks everyone!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (02-18-2012), jamdls (02-20-2012), topspin (02-19-2012), Tres (02-20-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

lilac - A lot of people think losing weight is as simple as calories in vs calories out. So, if you take in less than you burn, you will lose fat. The guys that did the Twinkie and potato diets did it to show this. I think there is some truth to this, but I do not think it is that simple. I refuse to believe that calories from refined carbs and sugar = calories from meat, fruits and veggies. I believe that our insulin response does have an effect on creating body fat.

I totally agree with LParadox with getting rid of processed foods, and sticking with whole foods. If it has more than five ingredients / ingredients you can't pronounce, and doesn't spoil, avoid it. I also see the best results with some carb restriction. It doesn't have to be crazy, you could try to keep them under 100 grams a day for starters. Consider getting rid of all grains, including all bread, for a few weeks and see how you feel and if you see any results you're looking for.

I also think a lot of our body types comes down to genetics. We can make healthy choices, and change our body composition, but only to a point.

This is all just IMHO. Let us know your thoughts.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-19-2012), jamdls (02-20-2012), logicalparadox (02-18-2012), topspin (02-19-2012), Tres (02-20-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

So I've been toying with this idea lately:

Take a yam (or sweet potato) and make some long thin slices. Cook it in coconut oil for a bit, and use them in replace of bread with a burger.

Well, I decided to try it with a bit of a difference. Got some lunch meat and used it in place of bread for that. Wow, was that disgusting. What a dumb idea. I am queasy right now. Still think the burger idea might work, but never do that with lunch meat again.
coffeenut (02-19-2012), jamdls (02-20-2012), Tres (02-20-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks LP and Ghost! I am going to re-read Primal Blueprint. I did Atkins for a couple of weeks last year and lost 5 pounds in a week (then had a big booze binge which is always accompanied by huge consumption of processed foods and carbs, especially pasta).

I feel energized when I eat plenty of protein and not a lot of carbs. And when I am depressed (which I have been in the middle of a pretty rotten depressive episode for a month), i eat lots of refined carbs. yuck.

Just made tuna salad and put it on a bed of lettuce. Hit the spot. I'm eliminating grains from the diet. Meat, poultry, fish and veggies will be my fuel. And almond milk. And some dairy (I really love milk and cheese, especially feta).

Just cleared out my pantry of canned soups and a frozen pizza. There is still bread in the house, but that's for my husband's sandwiches that he takes to work. haven't sold him yet on low-carb eating.

Welcome, Tres! This is a terrific thread!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lilac0721 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-19-2012), Geralt (02-20-2012), Ghostly (02-18-2012), jamdls (02-20-2012), topspin (02-19-2012), Tres (02-20-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I think you are going to see a lot of success with that lilac! Keep us posted.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-19-2012), Geralt (02-20-2012), lilac0721 (02-18-2012), topspin (02-19-2012)