Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group Part 2

Old 02-06-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats on day 4 paradox. Don't worry about being verbose...good to have people posting here. I go on rants at times.

Well since you're sharing links, here is my go to for Paleo:

Robb Wolf | The Paleo Solution book and podcast | Paleo diet, Paleolithic nutrition, intermittent fasting, and fitness

I think Mark is good too. I've read most of his book, though, by the time I read it, it was kinda review, so I didn't finish it. Do you listen to podcasts? Mark was on Robb Wolf's not too long ago.

Feel free to share the recipe for that Greek dressing if you'd like. That salad sounds great.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-11-2012), jamdls (02-07-2012), topspin (02-07-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

So, my late night meal / snack. Had BLT's. Well...not quite. Had BST's...well, this is accurate, but normally, this would come with bread, of which I didn't have any. Ok...I'll cut to the chase.

I had bacon, spinach and tomato, with slices of avacado and a hard boiled egg. YUMMY! Totally fit my diet too, of no grains or dairy. Really filling as well. Plus got some veggies.

For dessert, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries (those were delicious). Washed em down with some plain coconut milk.

Now...that's a late night snack. Quick to make, got some potein and a small amount of healthy carbs, some good fat, and no C R A S H from sugar or high carbs.

Wow...if I'd been eating this as a snack last few days instead of corn chips and cheese, I'd feel much better. This is what I need to get back to.
coffeenut (02-11-2012), jamdls (02-07-2012), topspin (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Logical your menu sounds delicious! I also don't eat meat but I do eat fish, just never really cared for the taste of red meat I used to eat chicken but I also had to cook chicken for my dog for several years and I just got sick of the site of chicken...it turned out my dog was allergic to chicken so she is on a raw food diet of turkey and duck...it's pretty gross to look at too.

Last night was my favorite 10 min prep and cook meal: seared seasoned scallops on a bed of spinach seasoned with olive oil and lemon

Lent starts in 2 weeks and I am going to attempt to go on a sugar free diet, I've given up chocolate before but never all processed sugar.... in the meantime I've got to find some healthy substitutes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamdls For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-11-2012), Ghostly (02-07-2012), topspin (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Day 3 sober and I know from my many failed past attempts that what I put into my body has everything to do with my motivation to stay sober.
Yesterday I ate salmon with sauteed kale and garlic and onions. YUM! Talk about mood-lifting food.

This morning I ate softboiled eggs on whole grain toast. Going to try to keep the grainy carbs to a minimum, since alcohol is really just a super-refined carb. My alcohol of choice was vodka, which is made from various grains (not usually potatoes, contrary to popular belief).

What do people think about eating and frequency of eating in early sobriety? Part of me wants to make sure my blood sugar stays stable but another part of me doesn't want to force food down my throat if I'm not hungry.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lilac0721 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-11-2012), Ghostly (02-07-2012), jamdls (02-08-2012), topspin (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

i get hungry everytime I check this thread !?!

LP, ....your and Judy's food choices are kind of similiar. And delicious sounding.

Lilac, ....Congrats on day 3 !! The only thing I've heard (not specifically about frequency) is: .....try to avoid getting too hungry, lonely, or tired.

i love it when folks take off right out the gate making healthy choices, along with the MAIN CHOICE. All good reinforcement for success , imho.

Ghostly, Your choice of hard boiled eggs for post-workout recovery food is contagious.
It's super convenient, also. Thanks for the tip !!?!

About eating without an appetite, ....not really a big fan of the idea. Food taste so much better the other way.

Judy, LOL "messy food" ....jeez I've got a pretty good idea how you may feel about some of my ugly food. It can turn out super tasty sometimes!! ?? !!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-11-2012), Ghostly (02-07-2012), jamdls (02-08-2012), logicalparadox (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Judy - I think your menu sounds delicious!

Welcome Lilac! I agree exactly with what Top wrote: Try to avoid getting too hungry, lonely, or tired. I don't think you need to force yourself to eat. When hungry eat, when tired sleep, when crabby yell at Top. Congrats on 3 days!

Yeah Top...I'm with ya on the messy food regardless of what Judy thinks.
coffeenut (02-11-2012), jamdls (02-08-2012), topspin (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

LOL !
Ghostly knows about my teenie tiny ears.
....... I don't really mind folks hollerin' ; ....if it helps

Judy, I need your sense of order getting my place in shape. Can tell you're gifted that way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-11-2012), Ghostly (02-07-2012), jamdls (02-08-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ghostly- I just kinda modified it from a recipe my mom had.
Just kept adding some more to get a decent amt and taste testing.
-red wine + white wine (sigh, haha) + pomegranate vinegar
-lemon juice
-balsamic
-black pepper, oregano, garlic, basil
I have that in a little container, and after i make a salad I usually drizzle a bit of grapeseed oil.

(i make the balsamic, no capers this time, sometimes do sometimes don't= Balsamic Dressing
Balsamic Dressing | Fatfree Vegan Recipes there are a million dressing and recipes i LOVE on that site. I've dressed them up for the meat eating men in my life from time to time and added dairy/more fat--easy to tweak)

Horror of horrors, my mp3 player died, and i have this horrid pre paid phone ( i used to listen to some of npr stuff on podcasts, a few other things, and had a host saved on my zune. first the zune was stolen, now my replacement cheapo dies. BOO. i am kicking it super old school and burning cd's to workout, ahh)

jamdls- As does your's!! I LOVE LOVE scallops, sounds absolutely delicious.

lilac0721- Yea congrats!! Also kale on everything all the time. YUM. (also a reason I'm trying extra hard to limit grains, i love good homemade bread but it's hard for me to not eat more then i'm ok with and feel guilty--and vodka and whiskey were my go to's so all the more reason)
I think it's a big thing to listen to yourself. The first couple of days (and i was cutting down my alcohol intake b/c last time i went total cold turkey i landed myself in the er, soo yeah...) i felt horrid and just stuck to smoothies and soups. I tend towards low blood sugar, so I do more smaller more frequent meals. I think just doing all we can to take in as healthy an intake as possible is all we can do esp at the start. I made a huge batch of soup that i've had every night so far!
I know v8, i'll even chop up veggies and heat it up, is good for the dehydration too.

Sooo...
This am I felt horrid, I barely slept so was a bit late in eating.

-egg frittata (3 whites, 1 regular, spinach/mushrooms/onions/peppers/tomatoes + reduced fat ricotta and mozz cheese and salsa

-tuna salad--I use fat free greek yogurt in place of mayo + bit of spicy relish and also dijon mustard + celery/carrots/

as usual the pre/post wo hard-boiled eggs

-Mexican pumpkin soup.
http://www.fatfreevegan.com/soups2/1155.shtml (i added in some of the leftover greek yogurt when I served it good stuff)

snack- brown rice cake + cottage cheese w/mrs dash.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to logicalparadox For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-11-2012), Ghostly (02-07-2012), jamdls (02-08-2012), topspin (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Topspin and Ghostly, thanks for the hungry/angry/tired reminder. The beginning of my last downward spiral into binge drinking and depression/anxiety/insomnia was on January 12. I was overworked and mentally and emotionally exhausted. I had been running myself ragged trying to do EVERYTHING and be perfect.

I missed lunch because of work and was emotionally drained from dealing with clients and was trying to workout everyday, make plans to grow my small business and eat right and get to AA meetings (I had just started going back to them that week) and then CRASH! Exhausted. And I think I was also hungry and angry. So I got a bottle of vodka to go with my way-too-late lunch and turned off the phone and drank half the bottle that day. Then drank at least half a bottle of vodka every day after.

Along with the vodka goes bad food choices: toward the end I was eating chips, frozen entrees (processed food blah) and way too much of the stuff. So the extra 10lbs I was just starting to lose is now back. Haven't weighed myself but my jeans are waaaay too tight.

The only other things I ate yesterday after the eggs and toast was a handful of nuts (pecans, cashews and almonds) and a small salad with a little bit of chicken, cukes, tomatoes, feta and olive oil/vinegar. I just couldn't force myself to eat much.

I really like this thread. Thanks for all the good meal ideas!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilac0721 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-11-2012), Ghostly (02-08-2012), topspin (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 06:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

At the risk of sounding like Coffee (another poster here), make sure you are taking care of YOU lilac. Get a handle on your sobriety, and then these diet changes will be much easier to deal with. Not sure what you are doing, but try to find a support system, whether it's here at SR, F2F support or both. I just know tackling early sobriety and significant diet changes can be a lot to take on at once. Just IMHO. Good to have you here.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-11-2012), lilac0721 (02-08-2012), logicalparadox (02-08-2012), topspin (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Logical, your food choices sound great! You must like cooking I really do not like cooking and I don't like leftovers so whatever I fix has to be easy and just enough for 1 or it gets thrown away and I don't like being wasteful. I often say (to myself of course...) if it takes longer to cook than it takes to eat it's not worth it...but of course it usually does take longer to cook than eat even my 10 min spinach and scallops I'm sure I inhaled that in less than 10 min. Probably part of why I don't like cooking is I don't like getting the kitchen dirty, I can be somewhat OCD....but I have no one to please but me ...and the dog of course...
I too took Ghosts suggestion for hard boiled egg post workout and/or almonds, as soon as I get home from the gym I just drop my stuff grab almonds or an egg, inhale, then walk the Peach, so it's great to have something that I can just grab and run.
Last night was spinach salad w/cashews, dried fruit, hard boiled egg, and black olives with a balsamic dressing it was yummy!
coffeenut (02-11-2012), Ghostly (02-08-2012), topspin (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Judy ,
Working in the kitchen; I like to keep things moving too. Ending up with a (near) clean kitchen is the way to go !!

Was lucky to witness a pro ....preparing some meals for us in her own kitchen 30 years ago.
A real eye-opener !!!!

Lilac, .....dang, I had the same experience with drinking and a nose-dive in quality of food choices.
Crazy how that poison, .....taints our choices !??
Grateful all that is in the past
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-11-2012), Ghostly (02-08-2012), jamdls (02-09-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Just want to report on my successful food choices today in spite of a VERY busy day.

Forced myself to eat breakfast, which I normally don't (stomach is never up to food in the am) but glad I did because I was super-busy at work from 845am til 130pm!

Breakfast: oatmeal with a bit of almond milk and half scoop vanilla whey protein, dash of cinnamon and some craisins

Lunch: mixed greens salad with cukes, tomatoes, onions, and chicken. Ranch dressing (ok, not super-healthy) mixed with salsa (to use less of the fatty stuff)

Now it's dinner time and I am going to respect my lack of appetite. Going to make some popcorn and call it good.

Overall feeling good.

Topspin: glad I'm not the only one whose drinking led to awful food choices (and my waistline has expanded as well)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lilac0721 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-11-2012), Ghostly (02-08-2012), jamdls (02-09-2012), topspin (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

lilac,
Sounds like some GREAT choices today < thumbs up >

When I became a non drinker in April 2010, it took about 7 -8 months to lose 50-something lbs. I only checked the scale every 90 days though.

I can vividly remember being so defeated having to purchase ; ...(yet another )next size-up jeans for work. Gave those away, but still keep one pair of a slightly smaller size for some messier house projects. Sinched up, it looks like I've stepped out of a scene from The Grapes of Wrath.
LO Really like the extra large pockets though. ......for painting and landscaping.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-11-2012), Ghostly (02-08-2012), jamdls (02-09-2012), lilac0721 (02-08-2012), logicalparadox (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

topspin- That's awesome sobriety, a massive huge beyond words step, and getting healthier for yourself in all other ways! That's quite a big loss pretty quickly!

lilac0721- Score on the good day (and hey it's just being good to yourself that a huge step! and they do say fat helps you absorb more nutrients also i have a million and one dressing recipes if you're interested just let me know. all pretty quick and easy and wind up to be less expensive and better for you!)
And I definitely made some really horrible food choices when drinking...and I um, sometimes didn't exactly keep them down and that obviously didn't lead to anything but further feeling horrible--vicious cycle.
You just do what you can to keep taking care of yourself. I tell myself sometimes just to think of the small things and they sure add up.

jamdls- Thanks! I do like to cook, I find it soothing. I miss living with people I cook for, my parents are not at all into my food choices. I bring things to a domestic violence shelter and I make some healthy treats, but the kids (and the moms too!) tend to want my baking more. So I try to make things that will definitely keep since it's just me eating them. I really do love cooking though, I'd like to eventually take some classes.
That salad sound quite yummy!

-Couple cups of coffee and almond milk w/cinnamon. Still not sleeping well, sigh. I cut off caffeine around 1pm and I wanted some so badly before the gym.

-My "hot skillet salad"
~romaine hearts, kale, spinach, arugula, pumpkin seeds, kidney beans, mushrooms/peppers/eggplant/zucchini + mix of vinegars/mustard added into stir-fry at end.

-tilapia on the foreman grill (chilli + paprika+ cumin) topped with some greek yogurt and salsa mix w/roasted asparagus

-greek yogurt left + blackberries/blueberries/strawberries and topped w/kashi go lean
(same as usual pre/post wo eats)

Here's to a good thursday tomorrow!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to logicalparadox For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-11-2012), Ghostly (02-08-2012), jamdls (02-09-2012), lilac0721 (02-10-2012), topspin (02-09-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I fixed myself the most AMAZING dinner last night! Yes it took much longer to fix than to eat so I won't be fixing it often but it was delicious
Tempeh Spinach Stuffed Peppers

I had never tried tempeh before not even sure I'd heard of it before recently and had I heard of it I would have thought it tasted like tofu and I do NOT like tofu but it's nothing like tofu it's delicious! I had also never tried quinoa rice before, I'd had a box in my pantry for a couple of months, it was a great filler. I did not add the onions nor garlic as the recip calls for so just tempeh/spinach/quinoa/tomato sauce and some spice stuffed in a bell pepper. I did make 2 stuffed peppers and could only eat 1 so I have leftovers and will see how it tastes being heated up tonight. Just the tempeh and spinach with spices was delicious and quick and easy so that may become 1 of my weekly meals, so great to discover something new!

Discovered this morning I've gained 2 pounds so no more pita chips (I've been eating about 1/2 a bag most nights...) and I may cut out sugar starting now instead of waiting until Lent starts. Thats the thing I hate most about getting older! Up until I was in my late 40s I could eat anything I wanted as much as I wanted and I never gained weight, heck even when I was pregnant at 23 I only gained 22 pounds and lost it all immediately but not now...now I just look at chocolate and i gain weight. I actually weigh 7 lbs more now than I did when I was 9 months pregnant!! so not fair.
coffeenut (02-11-2012), Ghostly (02-10-2012), topspin (02-10-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

LP: that hot skillet salad sounds delicious!!!!!

I just ate sauteed tilapia for breakfast. Odd, but it sounded good. Hit the spot, too.

I wasn't too good yesterday...made a frozen pizza for dinner with extra cheese!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilac0721 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-11-2012), Ghostly (02-10-2012), topspin (02-10-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Bad, bad, bad day today. If there was a food hell I'd be in it. Going to blame it on being sick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-11-2012), topspin (02-11-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Ghostly- Aww, I'm quite sorry to hear that. Wishing you a speedy recovery! Also I swear more times then not, other then detoxing/being too drunk/and massive bad flu...I always crave not good for me stuff when sick. Cheese + bread. Grilled cheese/ mac and cheese/cheese and crackers. Cheese + salt.

lilac0721- I love tilapia--people say it's bland but it's a healthy choice and it pairs well with SO many different flavors. And hey pizza covers so many food groups (and good goodness our congress declared it a vegetable...smh)

jamdls- I *know* I'm full, but I am salivating over that. Oh my goodness, will have to try that. Again, HATE living where I do it's such a drive to get what used to be basics of my diet-tempeh being one of them. Have you ever tried quorn?

-egg white + lots and lots of veggie scramble(pepper,mush,kale,celery,broccoli) + added in a laughing cow wedge and salsa and srichacha (that stuff

-hummus platter (pita, cucs, tomatoes, carrots)

-1/2 lite english muffin + sunflower butter + tall soy latte
/WO
-as usual hardboiled eggs

-veggie chilli

A rather insane amount of decaf hot tea w/lemon (enough that i felt the need to include it!)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to logicalparadox For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-11-2012), Ghostly (02-14-2012), jamdls (02-11-2012), lilac0721 (02-11-2012), topspin (02-11-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I need this thread, I need this thread, I need this thread.

Increasing the fruit and veggies has helped. I have now started to crave them again, which is a good thing. And, grapefruit in a jar sound gross, but where I live, they're better than the 'real' stuff! Pretty darn good!

Lots of good ideas in here. THANKS!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (02-11-2012), jamdls (02-11-2012), logicalparadox (02-12-2012), topspin (02-12-2012)