Blogs

Plant-based diet

Old 12-09-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just wanted to let anyone know who is interested that Vegucated is now available on DVD and streaming live from VuDu and others. I haven't seen it yet as I was hoping it would come to Netflix which I have a subscription to so that I would not have to spend more money to see it.

Vegucated is a documentary about 3 meat eaters who agree to go vegan for 6 weeks. It documents their experiences and struggles. I havent seen it, but they do have a website, getvegucated.com for more info.

Of course Food Inc, and Forks Over Knives are already widely available. I would also recommend vegsource.com as a great website for more info too.

I haven't read the China Study yet, but it is on my list.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

thank you so much newway! i looove finding docs like this. adding to the list, i rec fat,sick, and nearly dead. a guy goes on a juice fast and it documents his journey. it's nothing short of amazing.

also, the gerson miracle, and food matters is awesome. all available on netflix instant. simply raw is also great. )
The Following User Says Thank You to luckylilshark For This Useful Post:
NewWay (12-09-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Always, Never & Forever

Just watched Food Matters...amazing! The guy with the RAW t-shirt was kinda hyperactive and scary (lol) but the movie had some great info about the importance of vitamins and even with cancer, wow. Oh, and I want some Niacin! lol
The Following User Says Thank You to DrivenHeart85 For This Useful Post:
NewWay (12-09-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yes, I have seen Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. It made me want to start juicing, however, I don't have a juicer and they are pretty expensive, so instead, I make a lot of smoothies since I do own a blender. I also saw Food Matters, but not the Gerson Miracle or Simply Raw. I will have to check those out. Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

NewWay, GNC has a sale on their juicer (available in their website) for $40, normally $90, so there are some affordable options.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyV For This Useful Post:
NewWay (12-10-2011)
Old 12-10-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Always, Never & Forever

So after a week or so of healthier eating, I had a marketing department Christmas dinner tonight. They catered in Famous Dave's barbecue and served cheesecake for dessert. It's no wonder America has an obesity problem, everything on my plate was so sweet, I mean the coleslaw, beans, meat, you name it...totally doused in sugar. I never would've even thought about this before this past week...it would've tasted "normal" to me. No wonder America is so fat, our food is saturated in sugar. lol
Old 12-10-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnthonyV View Post
NewWay, GNC has a sale on their juicer (available in their website) for $40, normally $90, so there are some affordable options.
Thanks Anthony. I will have to check that out. I take it you do some juicing?
Old 12-10-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
Originally Posted by DrivenHeart85 View Post
So after a week or so of healthier eating, I had a marketing department Christmas dinner tonight. They catered in Famous Dave's barbecue and served cheesecake for dessert. It's no wonder America has an obesity problem, everything on my plate was so sweet, I mean the coleslaw, beans, meat, you name it...totally doused in sugar. I never would've even thought about this before this past week...it would've tasted "normal" to me. No wonder America is so fat, our food is saturated in sugar. lol
Don't forget to add fat and salt to the equation. The Unholy Trinity of fast food like KFC which is why it can be so 'addictive' for many people.

A related NPR piece: Why Do We Overeat? Author Blames Fat, Sugar, Salt

@ the OP Do you have any recommended resources on where to start?*
I tried cutting out meat from my diet but it wasn't successful. Separately I also managed to do a 3 week fast (limited to liquids but no booze) several years ago but don't think I would want to try it again.

*Since I'm interested in improving my health, materials that are primarily concerned about animal rights issues etc., make me question the objectivity of the advice.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Always, Never & Forever

North,

In my opinion, your diet is ultimately up to you. You know your body best and researchers and random doctors don't. I've seen a lot of bias against animal meat due to animal rights and I do understand where they are coming from. However, there are more options today to find organic meats at local food stores and other places that wasn't mistreated and had minimal chemical ingestion.

I've watched a lot of food documentaries now and read the books etc. and find a lot of advice to be contradicting at times. So what I actually did was created my own food pyramid according to what I believe after reading and watching everything. The only thing that everyone seems to agree on is the importance of fruits and vegetables and whole foods, not processed.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Always, Never & Forever

I do think meat is still okay, but more emphasis should be placed on plants than on meats.

http://toyourhealthnutrition.blogspo...e-pyramid.html

In my case, I took the plant-based diet pyramid above and made some alterations. I cut grains down to 4 servings a day, I added lean, organic meat to the Legumes category and then put dairy up at the top to use sparingly. To me, this is my ideal diet. I'm sure everyone would have opposition or support for it, but more important is that this fits me and my ideals.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Oooh, glad I found this thread. I'm vegan and love it. It does take a little more work at first to be conscious of everything you're eating, but that goes away with time. It just takes new habits.

Also, for anyone who is curious, I highly recommend just saving up and getting the vita-mix It is AWESOME.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlFromCO For This Useful Post:
catmilkyo (12-30-2011), NewWay (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I would love to have a vita-mix and it is on my list of Things to Someday Get. In the meantime, I have a juicer and I have a blender, and I kinda go on a bender with each rotating... so for several weeks I am all about the juicer, and then I am switched to everything in the blender.
I have the book "The Big Book of Juices and Smoothies" it has 365 recipes of all natural blends and what they are great for, like Detox, Energy, Immunity, etc...
The Following User Says Thank You to OwlFeathers For This Useful Post:
NewWay (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GirlFromCO View Post
Oooh, glad I found this thread. I'm vegan and love it. It does take a little more work at first to be conscious of everything you're eating, but that goes away with time. It just takes new habits.

Also, for anyone who is curious, I highly recommend just saving up and getting the vita-mix It is AWESOME.
You are right. It takes new habits, and eventually your taste buds also change. To me there is nothing better then a newly picked, ripe juicy tomato fresh from the farmer's market. I would take that over a bowl of ice cream any day. But if you offered me both a year ago, I would have gone for the ice cream for sure.

There are still so many fruits and vegetables out there that I still need to try like persimmons and durian. It is exciting to discover new tastes.

Yeah, I have heard about the vita mix, would love to buy it one day.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:38 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
Originally Posted by DrivenHeart85 View Post
North,

In my opinion, your diet is ultimately up to you. You know your body best and researchers and random doctors don't. I've seen a lot of bias against animal meat due to animal rights and I do understand where they are coming from. However, there are more options today to find organic meats at local food stores and other places that wasn't mistreated and had minimal chemical ingestion.

I've watched a lot of food documentaries now and read the books etc. and find a lot of advice to be contradicting at times. So what I actually did was created my own food pyramid according to what I believe after reading and watching everything. The only thing that everyone seems to agree on is the importance of fruits and vegetables and whole foods, not processed.
Thanks.

I probably need to make some drastic changes in my diet. My overall physical fitness and conditioning is relatively good but my cholesterol levels seem to be creeping up. Last week, my (non-fasting) total cholesterol shot up to 260. Blood sludge...
Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you so much to everyone for making me feel so welcome.

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I need to see if there is a way to have subsequent comments sent to my email so that I know to respond since I don't check this every day.

I would love to post some of my favorite vegan recipes on a sticky tab as soon as I figure out how to do that.

I wholeheartedly respect everyone's right to make their own decisions so I apologize up front if I ever come across too strong. I don't mean to.

To answer some of the questions in the thread, I became vegan before I became sober. I did it first for the animals and then for my health once I learned about how closely linked meat and dairy is to heart disease, cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, obesity, etc.

Before we became so obsessed with creating a sterile environment with anti-bacterial products, we used to get vitamin B12 from the same place as animals, from bacteria in dirt. B12 is created by bacteria and it was naturally present on our fruits and vegetables. Now it is not a reliable source since everything is cleaned so well before it is eaten. Animals still eat off the ground and obtain their B12 that way. We then get it from their bodies when we eat them. Non-animal sources of vitamin B12 supplements are widely available.

And yes, you're right, the casomorphines in dairy (particularly concentrated in cheese) are addictive. Staying away from them for at least three weeks helps you begin to break free of them. Cheese was my food weakness. I couldn't get enough. I finally had to realize there was no moderation for me and that giving it up was my only option.

Thanks again everyone for being there for support!
The Following User Says Thank You to SoberVegan For This Useful Post:
catmilkyo (12-30-2011)
Old 12-20-2011, 10:32 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Best diet plan help you to live healthy life. Your
diet should contain more proteins, carbohydrates, than
fats.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:28 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

^ I respectfully disagree with that. Unless by "healthy life" you mean a diet full of insulin spikes from carbs that cause many health problems related to inflammation, such as obesity, diabetes, heart problems and many other things.

I think a diet of of high protein / fat with a carb macro of under 20% and much lower can be very healthy, and either way, a diet of higher fat than carbs can be a healthy diet.

IMHO. Welcome Jacksonema.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Always, Never & Forever

I'm starting to agree with you on the carb thing Ghostly. I've never understood the insane push for consumption from the grain group. I think getting carbs from sources other than grains is good but I'm repulsed by the idea of shoving 6-11 servings of pasta, bread or rice down my throat every day...yuck. If I eat 2 servings of grains a day, that's good enough. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to DrivenHeart85 For This Useful Post:
Pete55 (12-22-2011)
Old 12-21-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

People who are strictly vegetarians look pale and sickly to me. No offense.

also:

Producing methane
Plant-eating dinosaurs were, in all likelihood, champion farters! Plants are hard to digest, requiring a lot of time and plenty of bacteria to break them down. One ‘end’ product of this is the gas methane.
and their hair thins out quicker the older they get.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:18 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

^ I respectfully disagree with that as well.

I hope my posts didn't seem like Vegan / Plant based diet bashing. They were not meant to be at all. I think it can be a healthy way to eat, and is healthier than a typical Western diet. However, personally, I have some opposing views to that kind of diet, but I typically don't post about them in these type of Threads. I just felt like I needed to respond to the post a few ago.

For the record...I think we were meant to eat plants and I think many Vegans look healthy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
sita71 (02-28-2013)