Blogs

Primal/Paleo/Low-Carb Eating

Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Primal/Paleo/Low-Carb Eating

Is anyone here into low carb eating... primal, paleo etc? I'm recently into Mark Sisson's website marksdailyapple.com and his philsophies on eating primally and his Primal Blueprint fitness program. Eating low carb has made me lose a couple lbs and a few inches.

I'm also doing Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred but only doing it 3 days a week... and stretched out so I have a rest day in between days doing it. I have been walking about 30-45 min 5-6 days/week. And I'm wanting to add 1-2 days of a 20 minute strength training weight workout.

And what's everyone's thoughts on using nutrition and fitness along with early sobriety? Is it too soon to do all 3? Am I setting myself up for failure?

I know there are differing opinions on this... I just don't think drinking loads of coffee and stuffing myself with chocolate and ice-cream can help me stay sober Although sometimes it does seem like a very attractive option!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
Fubarcdn (02-11-2012), Ghostly (06-29-2011), topspin (07-02-2011), Zuri (09-13-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 12:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found some info on this thread about members using Paleo... it was the first I heard of it so I dont know alot about it yet..but reading this thread may answer some of your questions Jennie...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ort-group.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abbzi For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (06-29-2011), Soberpotamus (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 01:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Abbzi, I should have just searched the forums for "paleo" I'm reading that entire thread now...
The Following User Says Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Jennie-

I am doing the same thing to help aid in sobriety... diet & exercise. I'm sure some people will say too much too fast. But I disagree.

The only way I ever quit smoking was because I got into running. I found that my runs were not as enjoyable if I smoked the night before. The same can be said for drinking.

Now Ive replaced running with boozing and overeating. JOY!

Im sticking to a strict diet and excersize routine because in my oppinion its the best way to quit. Once I see the healthy changes in my body/ mind, there is no way I would want to spoil it with a bottle and a half of wine and a late night pizza.

Anyway, good luck n your journey, I've got quite a way to go a 80 pounds. eeeek. Update us with your progress.

BB
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bblackbirdflyy For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (06-29-2011), lushly (07-15-2011), Soberpotamus (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Wow...the Title of this Thread kinda shocked me. Jennie - If you read that linked Thread you prob realize some people on it are following a similar diet to Paleo / Primal. I do want to stress that is not the point of that Thread. The point is for people to find support eating in whatever way they have identified as healthy. Even if it's just avoiding certain foods. I don't want to scare anyone away, and would actually love to have a lot more activity. Not that I own the Thread.

I'm familiar with the diets you speak of. Recently got The Primal Blueprint and have read some of it. Actually...not really thrilled to read eat. Mostly just because a lot of it's repetitive with the Paleo books I've read. I was particularly interested in Mark's book because I do think he went into better detail about carbs in particular. I gotta recommend Robb Wolf's - The Paleo Solution, as the best book out there on this topic. Though I'm biased because I pretty much idolize Robb.

Recently I went really low carb and was keeping them around 50 grams a day. Just didn't have a lot of energy, which I was told would happen. Now I try to keep them around 100 grams. This should provide better energy, but still aid in leaning out.

I do disagree that Paleo and Primal are necessarily low carb diets. I will grant that clearly they are lower than the average American, and most people that eat processed carbs. Still, a couple apples and some sweet potatoes and you can get quite a few. There are many other ways to increase carbs on Paleo too.

There are a lot of people that think Paleo does not allow enough muscle gain though. A lot of people do Paleo + milk or some grains. Then there are people that think all this is crap, and we have adapted to these foods. Think the biggest thing people can do is limit certain foods for 30 days and see how their body reacts. Some people do fine with dairy, and the other Neo foods. I find I do better without dairy, grains and legumes. Particularly milk and white flour.

So anyway, that's my rant. I could go on and on about this. All of it is IMHO opinion of course. Congrats on your weight loss! Nice job with the exercise too! Join us on Kicking Asphalt and / or the Healthy Eating Thread!

BB - Congrats on your success too! I think how soon to start improving diet and exercising after sobriety is a very personal thing. Seems to work well for you, so I don't think it's too soon.

Abbzi - Thanks for sharing that link.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Geralt (02-14-2012), jamdls (06-30-2011), Soberpotamus (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was particularly interested in Mark's book because I do think he went into better detail about carbs in particular. I gotta recommend Robb Wolf's - The Paleo Solution, as the best book out there on this topic. Though I'm biased because I pretty much idolize Robb.

--Mark's book is very readable... he's got a pretty good sense of humor too, and that helps. But... I could read dry, boring stuff if I was really into it, but that's just me I'm an obsessive reader on certain subjects sometimes...

Recently I went really low carb and was keeping them around 50 grams a day. Just didn't have a lot of energy, which I was told would happen. Now I try to keep them around 100 grams. This should provide better energy, but still aid in leaning out.

--me too! I read the new Atkins book, tried doing about 20-30 grams per day. Recently, after reading Mark's book I decided to pick the "sweet zone" for fat loss and I'm trying to keep mine around 75. The alcohol was stalling my weight loss... I have NO doubt anymore.

I do disagree that Paleo and Primal are necessarily low carb diets. I will grant that clearly they are lower than the average American, and most people that eat processed carbs. Still, a couple apples and some sweet potatoes and you can get quite a few. There are many other ways to increase carbs on Paleo too.

-- yes, I can see that as well. Totally.

Think the biggest thing people can do is limit certain foods for 30 days and see how their body reacts. Some people do fine with dairy, and the other Neo foods. I find I do better without dairy, grains and legumes. Particularly milk and white flour.

--i still haven't eliminated cheese. I try to stay sensible with it, and I'm thinking all long as I keep away from grains, legumes, processed I'll be fine... and ALCOHOL, it's of course liquid sugar!

So anyway, that's my rant. I could go on and on about this. All of it is IMHO opinion of course. Congrats on your weight loss! Nice job with the exercise too! Join us on Kicking Asphalt and / or the Healthy Eating Thread!

--not much weight loss (but i'm only about 10 lbs from my goal weight) but I have lost some inches! Now that I'm sober, I'm thinking if I stick to primal the last 10 lbs should come off... but then again they may not!! I may start eating chocolate like a fiend now that wine is gone
Geralt (02-14-2012)
Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Geez...nothing like reading what I wrote in bold! Kinda freaks me out!

That's right...I read that you had lost inches. Congrats on that! Body composition changes, not weight, are what's important.

I think you will see good results if you stick with the diet. For most people they have significant changes fairly quickly. Some people, like me, not so much. I really had to cut carbs, especially fruit. Then I see better results. If you stall just adjust. The important thing is to stay away from alcohol. For those of us with alcohol problems, we won't see / feel results till that is gone.

I do like the way Mark broke down the carbs. Think I'm just partial to Paleo over Primal. Probably cuz that's what I was introduced to first. Also...gotta admit, it kinda irritates me that Mark acts like came up with this stuff. IMHO, Dr. Cordain ingnited this lifestlye and brought it out to the masses. However, I got nothing against Mark. I read about half the book so far. I totally know what you mean about becoming an obsessive reader. Robb Wolf has a great sense of humour too. His podcasts are great as well.

Do you use anything to keep track of your food? How do you know carbs are around 75? Totally just curious is all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Geralt (02-14-2012), jamdls (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I use the Paleo plan as a guideline which I first heard about here (thank you Ghosty), I eat this way mainly for digestive issues more than weight control and since I've cut grains almost completely out of my diet I feel a whole lot better! The Paleo recipes I've tried from Everyday Paleo have also been super easy and delicious!

The first year I was sober I did stuff my face with chocolate and gained about 25 pounds and I don't recommend this, took about 9 months to gain and 18 to lose (kind of like having a baby...)...I think you are smart to even being thinking about nutrition and fitness in early sobriety it can only be a positive step.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamdls For This Useful Post:
Geralt (02-14-2012), Ghostly (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
Im sticking to a strict diet and excersize routine because in my oppinion its the best way to quit. Once I see the healthy changes in my body/ mind, there is no way I would want to spoil it with a bottle and a half of wine and a late night pizza.

Anyway, good luck n your journey, I've got quite a way to go a 80 pounds. eeeek. Update us with your progress.

BB
Right on, Blackbird... yes, same here about using fitness & nutrition as a deterrent to drinking. It's a really good distraction I think. At least this early on in the game. Later, I really hope for it to be a daily habit that I truly enjoy

Maybe take your 80 lbs and break it up into smaller goals? I log my food & exercise on myfitnesspal.com (they also have an iPhone app) daily, and the forums there are great.... very supportive people. I've noticed many people break up their weight goals into smaller ones. It really seems to work. I'll befriend you on there if you want to join
Ghostly (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post

I do like the way Mark broke down the carbs. Think I'm just partial to Paleo over Primal. Probably cuz that's what I was introduced to first. Also...gotta admit, it kinda irritates me that Mark acts like came up with this stuff. IMHO, Dr. Cordain ingnited this lifestlye and brought it out to the masses. However, I got nothing against Mark. I read about half the book so far. I totally know what you mean about becoming an obsessive reader. Robb Wolf has a great sense of humour too. His podcasts are great as well.

Do you use anything to keep track of your food? How do you know carbs are around 75? Totally just curious is all.
Mark is just appealing to the masses probably And he has excellent, very well written articles. I prefer his articles over Robb's. I've listened to some of Robb's podcasts and I do like some. I don't have his books yet.

Haven't read Cordain either... I was aware of him lighting the way though. I went with Taubes first, then the new Atkins book, and now Mark's books along with Michael Pollan... I'll probably pick up Robb's next And Sarah's Everyday Paleo will be my next cookbook purchase, for sure!

Oh... I keep up with my food & exercise on myfitnesspal.com (there's also an iPhone app)... I just mentioned this to Blackbird. I'm not totally sure I'm accurate on the carbs... but I think I'm pretty close. I have a small scale I'm going to start using to weigh food. I've just been lazy up until now. But being sober has got me wondering just how accurate the food entries are!

However, I'm certain it was the wine keeping me from dropping the last 10-15 lbs I really want to shed now!
Ghostly (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the heads up on the chocolate eating, Judy! I don't want to go down that slippery slope... I'm already fighting a small battle with diet drinks

But... on the other hand, alcohol is my #1 focus... so, I will allow a couple small chocolates and diet drinks here and there. I just want to keep an eye on it...

Yeah, I read about some of your digestive issues on the Healthy Eating Support thread... glad Paleo eating is helping you. That's wonderful. I'm fortunate to have a stomach of steel (good genes I guess?) but wine sure kept a pesky 15 lbs of fat on me the past 4-5 years that I am going to be so happy to be rid of finally.

I look forward to reading about your progress eating Paleo! Are you adding fitness in also? I'm logging all mine at myfitnesspal.com.
Ghostly (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 05:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yep yep

I've never even heard of paleo and primal....will have to check it out.

I have done low carb for a year or better. I try to maintain 30 grams, though I do give myself a day off here and there.

I absolutely am sold on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to passionfruit For This Useful Post:
Soberpotamus (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Thanks Passion. How do you keep track of the grams of carbs? Do you exercise? If so, what do you do, and do you feel lack of energy from such low carbs? Are you familiar with Ketosis? At that low level of Carbs I gotta think you hit it.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Mark is just appealing to the masses probably And he has excellent, very well written articles. I prefer his articles over Robb's.
You did NOT write that! Take it back or our friendship just came to a quick end!
jamdls (07-01-2011), Soberpotamus (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You did NOT write that! Take it back or our friendship just came to a quick end!
Hahaha! Sorry, Ghostly... but it's the truth On the other hand... I haven't read enough of Robb yet probably... I will give him a chance for sure
Old 06-30-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Robb could beat up Mark. I'm just saying...and I'll leave it at that.
jamdls (07-01-2011), Soberpotamus (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Mark is an "old man"... but I dunno 'bout that Mark's also trained in the ways of Grok
Ghostly (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Robb trained Grok. Ok...that's it. I'm done. Well, one more thing...Robb is better than Mark. Infinity x 2. Ha! Nuff said.
Dutchie (10-05-2012), Soberpotamus (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Robb trained Grok. Ok...that's it. I'm done. Well, one more thing...Robb is better than Mark. Infinity x 2. Ha! Nuff said.
Rob trained Grok... Hahahahah!!! Ok, sure Ghostly...
Ghostly (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Ha! I knew you would finally give in to my pure logic and mature debating.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Soberpotamus (06-30-2011)