Blogs

Primal/Paleo/Low-Carb Eating

Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm imagining Robb and Mark in a boxing ring with you and I on either side, cheering them on... fisticuff debating... NICE
Old 07-01-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

LOL you 2! The primal drums are beating in here!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamdls For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (07-01-2011), Soberpotamus (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the chocolate eating, Judy! I don't want to go down that slippery slope... I'm already fighting a small battle with diet drinks

But... on the other hand, alcohol is my #1 focus... so, I will allow a couple small chocolates and diet drinks here and there. I just want to keep an eye on it...

Yeah, I read about some of your digestive issues on the Healthy Eating Support thread... glad Paleo eating is helping you. That's wonderful. I'm fortunate to have a stomach of steel (good genes I guess?) but wine sure kept a pesky 15 lbs of fat on me the past 4-5 years that I am going to be so happy to be rid of finally.

I look forward to reading about your progress eating Paleo! Are you adding fitness in also? I'm logging all mine at myfitnesspal.com.
Jennie, eating all the chocolate helped me survive in my first year of sobriety, i was all alone, no family, no friends no formal support program, I barely left my house except to go to work (I feared my own shadow..), chocolate comforted me, so I think whatever works for you in your quest to live a sober life go for it and make no apologies!

Yes I generally work out at a gym 4-5 times per week and rarely eat chocolate anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamdls For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Maybe take your 80 lbs and break it up into smaller goals?
yeppers! The 80 is the ultimate long term goal. I will be super thrilled at every 10 pound increment.

goal #1 -10lbs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bblackbirdflyy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls
so I think whatever works for you in your quest to live a sober life go for it and make no apologies!
wellllllllll... since you put it like that... I'm off to find the largest, most decadent chocolate layer cake I can possibly imagine

...just kidding
The Following User Says Thank You to Soberpotamus For This Useful Post:
jamdls (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
goal #1 -10lbs.
Cheering you on toward that 1st 10 lb'er, blackbird

What's your exercise/food plan? Have it mapped out yet?
Ghostly (07-04-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Getting to this party a little late but I thought I would mention my experience with the diet as laid out in Tim Ferris' book - The Four Hour Body.

It is basically a low carb diet as well but with a bunch of twists. I went on the diet this spring and lost 15 pounds - getting down to 180 pounds - the leanest I've been since my early 20's!

The 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss - Official Site

And I've kept it off...181 pounds this morning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tippingpoint For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (07-04-2011), Soberpotamus (07-04-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
Thanks Passion. How do you keep track of the grams of carbs? Do you exercise? If so, what do you do, and do you feel lack of energy from such low carbs? Are you familiar with Ketosis? At that low level of Carbs I gotta think you hit it.
I mostly have a routine. I kind of eat the same things over and again, mostly due to time constraints, however, I do try new recipes regularly and if they work for me, I will freeze em up for quick later use or make a storable amount.

I tracked it with pen and paper in the beginning. I know it well enough now I know when I am bordering on an overage.

Ketosis...my favorite word

I found low carb because of the word actually.

I am very much into keeping my body as toxic free as possible. very hard in todays world.

As part of my detoxifying efforts, I water fasted regularly.

I have done 24 hours pretty regularly, 3 days monthly, and done one 6 day and one 8 day water fast.

In educating myself to the reasons/benefits for/of water fasting, I learned of ketosis.

Initially, the stuff I read said that ketosis could only be attained with zero caloric intake. I believed it at first, but as time went by and as I learned more about ketosis, I began to wonder if there was not another way to put your body into ketosis.

Thus began my search and it lead me to atkins, which I had previously thought was a fad diet.

I was wrong.

I began to practice it and was amazed.

I do exercise. Pretty heavily at times, but definately regularly. I personally don't see a big difference in my stamina, but I do only light weight lifting. That may be different for a heavy weight lifter.

My body is happy with the low carb thing and when I fall off the routine, it lets me know so. I feel better and my body functions better when i stick with it.

Several books I have read suggest eating carbs before working out especially related to muscle building.

I don't do that, personally.

I personally find my body responds really well to this process of low carb, detoxification, and regular exercise.

I have less pain (age, headaches, general tiredness..) and better digestive activity... I just feel better overalll..
ATkins suggests 20 carbs on induction and increasing the count as you reach your goals. I was never comfortable with that low amount regularly and started with 30. I felt good with it and never really increased it unless it was a special day off thing. I generally stick to that area.

How bout you?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passionfruit For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (07-04-2011), Soberpotamus (07-04-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

^ Thanks for the info Passion.

Well, with the diet I follow it tends to be lower carb than the standard diet. A few weeks ago I tweaked it and went really low carb. I was keeping track of everything on Fitday and was getting less than 50 grams of carbs a day, and sometimes closer to 30 or less. Because I was so low anyway, I entertained the idea of going into Ketosis. My understanding of Ketosis is that it has more to do with Carb levels than calories (not sure if that's what you meant in your Post above and it was a typo). I was doing this for fat loss, and was losing weight. A lot of people reach Ketosis by keeping their carbs at 30 grams or less, and some claim to have hit it with as much as 50 grams a day. I did not get into Ketosis.

However, with that little carbs, I had no energy for my work outs. I might not have given it enough time, but I increased carbs a bit and now try to keep them around 100 - 150. Feel better with that. Personally I would not fast like you do. I know of people that have fasted for 18 hours every few days or so (Intermittent Fasting) and have had success with that.

Congrats on your success!

Good info Tippingpoint...thx.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

yes exactly.

it is related to carb count as opposed to caloric count.

you can buy urine sticks to test when your body is in ketosis or not fyi.

it still takes 3 days of extremely low carb levels to get there, for most bodies. It usually took me 3. I believe it varies by body too because I was able to hit and maintain ketosis at 30 grams a day as opposed to the suggested 20 by the atkins books.
Actually it takes 3 days to get there with no carbs......zero carb intake...

It really is a lifestyle change. i have learned what I can eat without challenging my count and I stick to those things.

I learned many things about our food intake this last year or so doing the low carb and detox.

The low carb simply abated my appetite. I used to feel hungry at times before low carb. I never did after going high protein. It was an amazing change.

When I water fasted, I was truly amazed to learn two things:
1. how little food our bodies really need to function properly if not more efficiently with less actually.

2. How much society builds life around food. At work it was lets grab a bite. After work lets get a drink. Around family it was lets bbq, birthday party time, or special dinner gather....

Nobody ever said lets go work out. lets grab a 15 min walk...

lol
silly but true. our life is built around food. We love it, we live it, we enjoy it........

Fasting let me see out of my food box.............lol I never anticipated learning so much by not eating for a few days.......

I initially did it because I noticed as I approached 45 my metabolism changed as well as my body content.

I have always had high muscle content without a lot of effort. As I got older it started taking alot more to maintain it. If I slacked at all for any extened period...the change from muscle to fat was much more rapid than I had ever dreamed!!

Scary!!

lol
Old 07-04-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Totally know what you mean about low carb = less appetite. It was getting to the point where I had to force myself to eat more to get enough calories. My wife and I had just bought 1/2 a grass fed cow, so we had a lot of meat, which was good. Well...we still do.

Also agree about so much in life being about food. Reason for get togethers and social gatherings. It can be difficult when you are trying to eat clean. I do ok with it now. One thing I learned is I don't care about hurting people's feelings when I turn down food. "You want some cookies?" "No."

I wouldn't do fasting lasting that long. Seems to work well for you though.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

The other unique thing with the diet in The Four Hour Body is that one day each week you can and must cheat! Your body gets used to not having carbs and your metabolism slows...the cheat day kick starts things so that you don't plateau as easily.

So, you still get to eat all of your favorite foods...just one day a week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tippingpoint For This Useful Post:
passionfruit (07-05-2011), Soberpotamus (07-15-2011)
Old 07-04-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

^ Tipping...I went to the site. I don't know any more than what was on there, which wasn't much (they want you to pay for info - understandable), but I do gotta tell you that they kinda lost me a bit. Sleep 2 hours a day and do better than 8? Some of the other claims too? I'm a believer that there aren't many shortcuts, and we were all meant to get / have certain things.

Seems like it's working well for you though. Congrats on the weight loss! Have you seen other improvements? Curious to hear (read) more about your experiences.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

what's up, Jennie! I have been low-carbing for years, it's the only thing that keeps my weight in check, even without exercise. I have quit drinking (again) for only 6 days so far, and I have been eating tons of protein and salads, protein shakes, Zone Bars, etc., and have the occasional ice cream. It really helps you feel better and more energetic, and it's healthy as well. Good luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BunnyLoves For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (07-15-2011), grateful101010 (08-24-2011), Soberpotamus (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 06:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi Bunny, congrats on your 6 days! Glad to hear of someone else doing low carb I think I used to do it instinctively back when I was younger... but I also think I didn't eat enough calories either. Lately, I've been giving myself a lot of slack being only 15 days into my sobriety.

What are the Zone bars like? I like the peanut butter chocolate Atkins bar a lot Yum! What are some of your favorite kinds of salads?
Ghostly (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Zone Bars are higher in carbs, but loaded with protein, their chocolate PB is my fave! As far as salads go, I positively live on Greek salads with Greek olives and lots of feta cheese. I am also in love with the Marie's line of salad dressings (the chunky blue cheese is out of this world). I like the Atkins Endulge peanut butter cups, I think they're the closest sugar-free thing to Reeses' brand
The Following User Says Thank You to BunnyLoves For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'll try the Zone bars. Oh, Greek salads are my favorite too! There's one I get at a local pizza place that's as good as any I've ever had... for $5 Purple onions, olives, tomato, cucumber... and feta cheese. Yum! Love it.
Ghostly (07-15-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

It's freaking 8 am over here and your description of a Greek salad is making me want to go make one now!!! Maybe at 11 am.....
The Following User Says Thank You to BunnyLoves For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (07-16-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 05:24 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Calorie cycling is an old bodybuilding trick, it's purpose is to trick your body from adapting to very low calorie levels. Here's a description : http://www.hollyzapfnd.com/nutrition...e-cycling-work
The Following User Says Thank You to BackToSquareOne For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (07-16-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
Calorie cycling is an old bodybuilding trick, it's purpose is to trick your body from adapting to very low calorie levels.
Hey guys, just passing through and discovered this thread. I eat very clean and healthy. I designed my regimen after researching heart disease reversal diets (large family history). I believe in burning calories, not limiting them, but every time I do carb cycling, whether by design or by accident, my weight goes down while maintaining a high level of fitness.

Just my humble op...... Everyone is different.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomdecel For This Useful Post:
Soberpotamus (07-16-2011)