Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group

Old 04-14-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Grandfather: I'd love that wonton soup recipe! And.....I'm glad I'm not the only one in here with a bread/butter/honey/anything on top addiction. I make a loaf of homemade every week. Can't help it. BUT....you've lost me on the cream of wheat....oatmeal, yes, CofW....NO!

Surely Ghostly won't throw both of us carb eaters out?!

I love this thread. Lots of really good ideas. I love reading about whole grains....dairy....all those things. I must say, since I have upped the 'wet' foods (fruits and veggies) I really do feel better. If I'm sluggish, I can sometimes trace it back to lack of healthy food. In fact, I know I can.

Anyway....thanks for your words, everyone!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-14-2011), topspin (12-14-2011), uncle holmes (04-15-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Latte View Post
Making your own Chinese food isn't difficult. It doesn't taste like the stuff in the restaurants but it's still pretty good.
A lot of Chinese food in restaurants, in my experience, tastes good because its loaded with sugar and salt. Come to think of it...MOST restaurant food is loaded with sugar and salt. I ate at Applebee's for lunch today (first time in years) and the food was so salty it was almost frightening.

Anyway, I like to make Chinese-style egg noodles with a few tablespoons of oil, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, fresh garlic, ginger, and some shredded cabbage and carrots. Yummm...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soidog For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-14-2011), topspin (12-14-2011), uncle holmes (04-15-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 04:56 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Had my bowl of cereal of 3/4 cup of Special K protein plus cereal with blackberries. We ran out of strawberries so I added some raisins to it also. Then coffee and then diet mountain dew with lots of ice. Then I sip on the ice as it melts.

After work I'll be picking up 4 large papa romanos' pizzas for pizza night with my family. My son's girlfriend is coming over also to eat some pizza. This is where it's easy to put on a few pounds. Maybe I'll skip the ice cream cone after the pizza. Depends on how I feel. I'm such a pig.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uncle holmes For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-15-2011), topspin (12-14-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I think an occassional pizza (or whatever your weakness is) is important to have, for me it helps to keep me more dedicated on an ongoing basis knowing that I can go out for a pizza or chocolate on a rare occassion and not feel guilty about it.

I sauteed squash/zucchinni/tomatoes in olive oil and balsamic vinegar last night then served it over angel hair pasta last night. It tasted wonderful, BUT it kept me awake most of the night with an upset stomach (bloated/gassy..sorry TMI) and I'm still feeling the same today! It's got to be the pasta? because I eat zucchini and squash regularly.
I did find a can of natural almonds (no salt) and had some of those last night but they haven't upset my stomach in the past. Seems there are only a very limited # of things I can eat that do NOT mess up my insides and I get tired of eating the same thing every day but I guess it's either do that or be uncomfortable and unsuitable for society...grrrrr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamdls For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-15-2011), uncle holmes (04-15-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Judy - Have you tried making pasta out of squash? I have done that. It takes a little bit more time, but is really good, and I hardly noticed the difference. From what you've written about foods, wouldn't be surprised if it was the pasta that gave you problems. If you want I could send you some info on squash / pasta, or just google it.

I know what you mean about it being important to let yourself having a cheat meal once in a while. If it helps someone stay healthy I think it's great. For me it can be bad though, cuz I could tail spin outta control. Not sayin I don't have em, but I really gotta try to avoid it.

Last night I did have some more chips. Also had about 5 gulps of soda (just wanted to). Ended up dumping the rest out. Just don't need it.

I do have some exciting news! We got a bunch of grass fed beef and we've looked into buying a grass fed organic cow. Looks like we can afford to do it. That will make such a difference with our diet. Good healthy fats from a cow fed how animals were meant to eat - Grass. No grains or animal products. They are also treated a lot better than most cows. Pretty excited.

Went out for lunch so didn't eat great, but ok. Broiled fish, french fries and coleslaw. Hope everyone is well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
jamdls (04-17-2011), uncle holmes (04-15-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
Had my bowl of cereal of 3/4 cup of Special K protein plus cereal with blackberries. We ran out of strawberries so I added some raisins to it also. Then coffee and then diet mountain dew with lots of ice. Then I sip on the ice as it melts.

After work I'll be picking up 4 large papa romanos' pizzas for pizza night with my family. My son's girlfriend is coming over also to eat some pizza. This is where it's easy to put on a few pounds. Maybe I'll skip the ice cream cone after the pizza. Depends on how I feel. I'm such a pig.
Lunch. An egg. Egg whites. Tuna. Raisins. Banana.

Afternoon snack. A handful of Ann's house soy energy blend. An apple. Milk.

Dinner. 7 pieces of pizza. Three pieces were veggie. Two pieces were pepperoni and bacon. Two pieces were cheese only. No dessert.

I'll skip my late night snack of Greek yogurt because of the heavy dinner. I'll be making my decaf green tea soon.

Right now I'm watching Lifetime with my wife. They've got some creepy characters on some of these Lifetime movies. Right now there's this abusive guy beating his wife, raping her and stalking her.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uncle holmes For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-16-2011), jamdls (04-17-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Well, if there's one thing I've learned - When Uncle, Grand or I eat pizza, we eat a lot of pizza! I had 8 slices the other night.

My wife used to make fun of me cuz I watched a lot of Lifetime Movie Network. I was like c'mon! All these attractive women, and the subject matter! Why not!??!?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-16-2011), jamdls (04-17-2011), mygrandfather (04-17-2011), uncle holmes (04-16-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Didn't gain any weight from the Chinese restaurant I had with my wife on date night on Wednesday or from the pizza Friday night. So that's always good.

I want to thank you Ghostly for bringing up this thread and encouraging a healthy diet. Eating healthy and exercise go hand in hand. You have encouraged me to make some positive changes in my diet that are healthier and I feel better as a result.

I've added spinach, tomatoes and broccoli to my diet. Got rid of most wholegrains. And I've noticed my anal itch problem has decreased. Instead of a handful of junk food such as chips I now have a handful of raisins at work.

This morning I had a bowl of 3/4 cup of Special K protein plus cereal with strawberries and blackberries with lowfat milk. A coffee. A diet mountain dew with lots of ice. Not sure what my wife is making for lunch. But it's usually pretty good.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to uncle holmes For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-16-2011), Ghostly (04-16-2011), jamdls (04-17-2011), mygrandfather (04-17-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

That is awesome Uncle! I am so glad you have seen positive changes. Nice job.

Now on a bad note...I totally effed up. Had some cookies last night. I hate whining, and don't like excuses! Went to see Grandma, she gave me them, ended up eating almost all of them. My whole, can't eat just one, deal. I'm so pi$$ed. I control what I put in my mouth. All the progress I made the last few weeks is gone after the last 3 days.

Oh well. Wife and I had a great and healthy breakfast. Veggies cooked in coconut oil. Healthy sausage and Omega 3 enriched eggs. I also had a bunch of fruit.

My wife, the baby and I are going to a bat show. I love bats, and they have the worlds biggest bat there. Then we have a triple birthday get together.
coffeenut (04-16-2011), jamdls (04-17-2011), mygrandfather (04-17-2011), uncle holmes (04-16-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 06:20 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
6/20/08

You are NOT effed up. Your progress is NOT done. You got to eat Grandmas cookies and now, you're back with it, Ghostly. Live and learn. I did the same thing with Girl Scout cookies, if it helps. Damn Thin Mints!

I do think every now and again my body tells me I need a good sugar/fat/whatever (except beer) binge. Brings things back into focus.

How were the bats?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-16-2011), mygrandfather (04-17-2011), recoverywfaith (04-18-2011), uncle holmes (04-16-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Ghostly, I've never heard of pasta made out of squash I'll google and see what I can find and if you've got something you can send me pls do. Are you buying a live cow? the whole cow?

I don't eat beef, never really liked the taste of it - really don't care for the taste of any meat but I do eat chicken usually once a week and sliced turkey because I should. If I could develop a taste for tofu I wouldn't jdo any meat but I hate that stuff.

I think it's great you guys like lifetime movies, I used to watch them a lot before I got totally cynical....now I mostly just watch true crime stuff and some fictional crime (Criminal Minds).

Ghostly you HAD to eat grandma's cookies! It's the LAW. As a grandmother, who doesn't bake BUT if I did, if my grandson turned down cookies from me I would be most insulted, offended, and heart broken, so know that you may have gone off your diet but you made your grandma happy!

I don't eat much on the weekends, usually too much to do that I forget to eat-but I did fix some chicken and vegees last night then had a bunch of grapes and some gluten free pretzels then dried apples for my bedtime snack. So far today I've only had a hard boiled egg; I have leftover chicken/veg from last night and I think I'll fix a spinach salad to go with.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jamdls For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-17-2011), Ghostly (04-17-2011), mygrandfather (04-17-2011), uncle holmes (04-17-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

Had a whole bunch of weird stuff on Saturday in conjunction with the marathon I ran: sports gels; electrolyte drinks; some fruit on the course; energy bars.

Definitely looking to get back in track this week.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mygrandfather For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-17-2011), Ghostly (04-17-2011), jamdls (04-18-2011), uncle holmes (04-18-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Grandfather...waiting patiently for that report....anything good to eat afterwards?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-17-2011), uncle holmes (04-18-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post
Grandfather...waiting patiently for that report....anything good to eat afterwards?
coffee, see Kickin asphalt for my full report!

This was a small, really small operation so the finish area had only a humble collection of fruit, bagels and snacks. And it was a muddy mess.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygrandfather For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-18-2011), uncle holmes (04-18-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Ghostly, how was the bat show? Did they have that giant bat?

Sorry to hear about your cookie binge. My wife makes these delicious peanut butter with mini peanut butter cups and/or chocolate chip cookies every weekend. She's a baker. I don't have to eat them if I don't want to. My two sons would eat them up. But I eat them every weekend. I somehow limit myself to about four cookies.

Breakfast, a bowl of cereal of 3/4 cup of Special K protein plus with strawberries and blackberries. A coffee. A diet mountain dew with lots of ice.

Lunch, one egg, 1 1/4 cups egg whites. Chunky beef tip with vegetables soup with crackers and a slice of swiss cheese melted on top. Yummy. A spinach salad with lean turkey and ham lunch meat with bacon bits.

Afternoon snack, a banana and a gala apple.

Dinner, small serving of baked chicken, mashed potatoes, dressing with gravy. A sweet corn on the cob that was absolutely delicious. Didn't even need to add butter or salt to the corn. It melted in my mouth. A spinach salad again with lunchmeat. For dessert a single scoop of Edys half the fat triple chocolate peanut butter sundae. This ice cream is delicious.

I'll be getting ready for my late night snack of Greek lowfat yogurt with chocolate chips, a small glass of milk and green tea.

Woodles (bye).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uncle holmes For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-18-2011), Ghostly (04-17-2011), mygrandfather (04-18-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Judy - I PM'd you with some spaghetti squash info. I've also seen recipes / videos for lasagna with squash in place of the noodles. Let me know if you want me to send that. I've never made it but it looks good.

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
Ghostly you HAD to eat grandma's cookies! It's the LAW. As a grandmother, who doesn't bake BUT if I did, if my grandson turned down cookies from me I would be most insulted, offended, and heart broken, so know that you may have gone off your diet but you made your grandma happy!
I get what you're sayin here, but gotta disagree. I'm actually pretty good about turnin stuff down, even from Grandma. Just didn't then. It's actually fairly irrelevant anyway cuz I left with em, so she doesn't know if I ate em or not. Of course they were sitting there. Anyway, the part I disagree with is I am going to be more vocal about my diet, including no desserts. Thanks for trying to make me feel better bout it.

Yesterday, I had a get together at my parents for three birthdays. There was cake my mom made and I said no, and didn't have any. However, the meal I had was bad for me. Barbecues (although at least wheat buns), chips and dip. I could have just had the barbecue, and found some veggies to eat. The kicker is this though - The side was some salad with apples and SNICKERS?!?!? What the hell?!?!?! Since when did a side include Snickers? Anyway, course I had some. Other than that did ok rest of day. Still...if I skip bad food people will have to accept it. I wanna live and be healthy.

You do so good with your diet Judy. Awesome job.

Coffee - The bats were cool. Baby slept through most of it. Got a good pic with the bat dude (apparently really famous and on a lot of TV teachin bout bats), baby and I. Wrote a bit bout it in KA.

Thanks for tryin to make me feel better bout my effin up. Really I did though, and I did screw up a lot of the progress I did. Gained some fat back. Just lookin forward though, nothin I can do bout it but make better decisions.

Today did good. Some veggies and almonds to start the day. Worked out. An egg and some shrimp.

Then, a monster salad! Cooked shrimp in coconut oil, steak in olive oil, and microwaved some bacon. Put that on a salad with some eggs and a lot of veggies. Did have a bit of regular dressing, but not a lot, also some cheese. Had some guac I made with it too. Really filled me up.
coffeenut (04-18-2011), jamdls (04-18-2011), mygrandfather (04-18-2011), uncle holmes (04-17-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 06:22 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
Sorry to hear about your cookie binge. My wife makes these delicious peanut butter with mini peanut butter cups and/or chocolate chip cookies every weekend. She's a baker. I don't have to eat them if I don't want to. My two sons would eat them up. But I eat them every weekend. I somehow limit myself to about four cookies.
I just don't have the discipline to stop at 4 like you do. Plus, even a little seems to affect me bad.

Sounds like you had a good day eating though!

I wrote a bit about the bat show above. Guess it wasn't the biggest bat, it was a bat from the biggest species of bat. The one they had was huge though. The dude walked em around so I got to see some of the bats up close. It was awesome. He actually teaches in Detroit somewhere, and is base out of MI.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-18-2011), mygrandfather (04-18-2011), uncle holmes (04-17-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Hi everyone...see the Sunday NY Times for a big article on Sugar. I will try to read through it tonight but the gist--as many of you have said--is that sugar is simply not good for us in the amounts we are all taking in. But this article goes on to say that sugar is simply bad, unhealthy period.

Ghostly, I know this does not help you to feel better but just so you don't feel alone, I went overboard thiss weekend too with the snacks. I was saying to my friend that I wish I could get the same focus I have on not drinking and apply that to better eating. Just hard sometimes...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mygrandfather For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-18-2011), Ghostly (04-18-2011), uncle holmes (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
The kicker is this though - The side was some salad with apples and SNICKERS?!?!? What the hell?!?!?! Since when did a side include Snickers?
Apples and snickers?!?!?! that doesn't sound right at all especially for a side dish, maybe dessert... Reminds me of this dessert I used to get at a salad place, there was a nice salad bar and at the end it had either banana (I think) or chocolate pudding, I would always choose the the chocolate of course and next to the pudding were apple slices I'd add apple slices to my chocolate pudding to 'convince' myself I was eating something healthy.

I did 'pretty good' yesterday, had leftover chicken and veg for dinner, gluten free pretzels for snack, almonds (ghostly you've got me HOOKED on almonds now), and dried apricots for bedtime snack BUT in the afternoon I had too many vegee sticks (they are like potato chips only less fat and shaped like sticks) I had probably 4 x what the bag says is 1 serving...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamdls For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-18-2011), Ghostly (04-18-2011), uncle holmes (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Apples and snickers is a common salad around here...I think it has cool whip, too.

I had a slab of cheesecake with lunch. I tried to resist, but it just kept talking and talking. It was sooooo good I almost licked my plate.

It was funny, as I was eating it, I knew I was going to have to come and confess! Which was good, because then I stopped at one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-18-2011), jamdls (04-19-2011), uncle holmes (04-18-2011)