Blogs

Healthy Eating Support Group

Old 04-09-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Reading this thread is making me HUNGRY! I ate really bad while on vacation-chocolate, chips, fried fish but it was VaCAtion! and despite that I lost 2 pounds (I find traveling to be very stressful plus I was constantly on the go) but now I'm back to healthy eating. Last night I baked a fish filet with just a little seasoning along with sliced zucchini with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar and seasoning it was yummy. Ghostly with all your mentioning of eggs I've started eating them again almost every day and they seem to be having a positive effect of me so thanks!
Had a couple of hard boiled eggs after my workout this morning, soup for lunch and a pear, grapes for snack, and going out for a greek salad for dinner. Back to no chocolate, minimal grains, and basically no processed sugar.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamdls For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-09-2011), topspin (12-14-2011), uncle holmes (04-10-2011)
Old 04-09-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome back Judy. Even though it was stressful for you, hope you had a good time. We missed you.

Today I ate well. Had eggs, fruits, veggies, bacon and almonds. Had some sausage, but it was grass fed beef and had minimal ingredients.

Had a decent work out too. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
jamdls (04-11-2011), topspin (12-14-2011), uncle holmes (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

I always eat more on weekends. I went to my sister's house with my family for lunch at noon yesterday. She made chicken parmesan, mashed potatoes, a tossed salad. Everything was delicious. She also made toffee bars for dessert. These things are addicting and totally bad for you. Luckily I only had one.

My sister is just getting over a divorce and moved into a new house about a month ago. She isn't getting any reception on her AT&T cell phone while in her house. She said she called and complained but is still getting no reception. I volunteered to call and see if I could help her get it fixed. I called AT&T on my cell phone for about an hour and they said she needs to get something installed in her house for $200. She refuses to do this and is angry at AT&T. Other than that there was nothing I could do but I was able to get her a $60 credit for not having service the past month while in the house.

I told her she has three options. 1. Pay the $200 and get that thing installed. 2. Get out of the contract and pay the $95 fee and switch to Verizon. 3. Do nothing and continue to not have reception while in the house. I suggested she get out of the contract and switch to Verizon. She's not sure what she's going to do.

Later I took my wife and teenage son who is phone savvy to Verizon to upgrade my Motorola razr phone that I had for about 4 years. I ended up getting the Samsung intensity 2. That phone was a free upgrade. I still have to get used to it as the razr was a flip phone and this one is not.

For dinner at 5 pm I has an XL egg, 1 1/4 egg whites. A can of Chunky roasted beef tips with vegetables soup with crackers and a slice of swiss cheese melted on top. A spinach salad with broccoli, shredded carrots, and grape tomatoes with a little italian dressing, black pepper and a little parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. You think that would be enough.

But then I had to over do it. I then had a handful of doritos with hot salsa sauce, a banana, raisins and a small glass of milk. I'm such a pig. Like I said weekends are the hardest for me when it comes to being disciplined with food.

At 10 pm I had a cup of Greek nonfat yogurt with chocolate chips. A small glass of milk. Then a cup of decaf green tea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uncle holmes For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-10-2011), mygrandfather (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

uncle, I definitely have trouble on weekends. I just overdo everything.
One thing I had today that was super tasty was toasted multigrain bread with honey...combo that with coffee, so good.

Uncle (and maybe ghostly too since you are from Wisconsin), I put cheese on everything!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygrandfather For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-10-2011), uncle holmes (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

For lunch I went to Culver's (burger joint it you're not familiar) which was bad, but had chicken tenders, fries and water so not too bad. Other than that had fruit, veggies, and some roast / sweet potato we slow cooked. Couple eggs. Water and coconut milk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
uncle holmes (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I continue my fascination with fresh bread and honey.

Had one small home baked banana muffin from a colleague. Otherwise I would say I was well behaved today, no junk food/snacks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygrandfather For This Useful Post:
jamdls (04-12-2011), uncle holmes (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Breakfast. Special K protein plus cereal in lowfat milk with strawberries and blackberries, coffee, diet mountain dew with lots of ice. Then I bite and suck on the ice.

Lunch. 1 whole egg, 1 1/4 egg whites, 5 oz can of tuna in a bowl, handful of peanuts and raisins, a banana.

Mid-afternoon snack. Handful of Ann's House soy energy blend from Costco. A gala apple. 16 oz of lowfat milk.

Dinner. Regular pasta instead of whole grain pasta, turkey meatballs with Ragu sause. A spinach salad with broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, a little italian dressing with bacon bits and black pepper. For dessert an ice cream cone.

Late night snack. One cup lowfat Greek yogurt with chocolate chips and small glass of milk. A cup of decaf green tea.

I'm slightly changing my diet. Instead of whole grain pasta I'm going to have regular white pasta. Instead of brown rice I'm going to have baked potatoes.
Ghostly (04-11-2011), topspin (12-14-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I ate really good yesterday. Eggs, roast, a sweet potato, other veggies and fruit. Some almonds. Was also really hungry and considered slipping, so need to make sure I eat more till I'm satisfied.

Today so far I've had some spinach, carrots and almonds. Gounna make some chicken.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
topspin (12-14-2011), uncle holmes (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Why do you eat almonds so much ghostly? are they particularly good for something? I looked for almonds at the store and couldn't find them in their own can so I had to buy mixed nuts and I'm not sure which ones were the almonds...there were some round kind of fat nuts that I didn't like (so I threw those away) and peanuts which I love and pecans I think and a couple of walnuts plus 2 others that I didn't know what they were. I bought some low sodium sliced turkey breast from the deli and been eating that with a hard boiled egg for lunch (plus fruit) it's very yummy. Tonight I will have salmon and asparagus I think.

Edit: I just googled almond and saw a picture and the nuts I thought were pecans were really the almonds! I like those a lot.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamdls For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-12-2011), topspin (12-14-2011), uncle holmes (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Breakfast. A bowl of Special K protein plus cereal with strawberries and blackberries. A coffee. A diet mountain dew with lots of ice. Then I bite and suck the ice.

Lunch. 1 whole egg and 1 1/4 cups egg whites. A 5 oz can of tuna. A handful of peanuts and raisins. A banana.

Mid-afternoon snack. A handful of Ann's House soy energy blend from Costco. A gala apple. 16 oz lowfat milk in a coffee mug.

Dinner. A couple breasts of sesame chicken. A couple medium baked potatoes. A small spinach salad with broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, bacon bits, a little italian dressing with black pepper. For dessert a single scoop ice cream cone.

Late night snack. A cup of nonfat Greek Yogurt with chocolate chips. A small glass of milk. A cup of decaf green tea.

Tomorrow is date night with my wife. We do this once a month. This usually consists of going out to dinner. Sometimes we'll stop at the grocery store after or something like that. Then we go home.

She's in a mood for Chinese food. I realize most Chinese food in a restaurant probably is fried and has a lot of calories and isn't that good for you. Any suggestions on what to eat?
Ghostly (04-12-2011), topspin (12-14-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Uncle - I used to eat fruit in cereal and oatmeal when I ate those. Good way to get the extra fruit in. As far as Chinese food, I don't eat that much. Try to fill up on something with lots of veggies and maybe grilled chicken. Good luck and have fun.

Judy - Well, I stay away from peanuts and try to eat nuts, which include almonds. I mainly eat em plain. They are pretty much filler. Eating them in moderation is ok for me. You're doin a great job, and your meals sound yummy.

Today I at a lot of veggies. Had chicken and guac. Really wanted pizza, but didn't. Might splurge a bit tomorrow, not sure yet. Gounna have some fruit soon.
jamdls (04-13-2011), topspin (12-14-2011), uncle holmes (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
She's in a mood for Chinese food. I realize most Chinese food in a restaurant probably is fried and has a lot of calories and isn't that good for you. Any suggestions on what to eat?
Hi guys..... just passing thru..... you really won't like me in this thread....

I have a 17 year old, tall and skinny as a stick, so many Sundays after my long bike rides we go to the Chinese buffet. He (and unfortunately my wife too) will go for all that fried stuff. Me.... I stay with the sushi and fresh seafood. Many times I just eat the topping from the sushi and leave the white rice on the plate.

Maybe you can find an Asian restaurant with Chinese fare and some variant of Sushi.

See you..... TdC
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tomdecel For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-12-2011), topspin (12-14-2011), uncle holmes (04-13-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

That's really healthy Tom! Seafood is one of the healthiest foods you can eat. Good advice.

I was H U N G R Y so I made some bacon, eggs and veggies. The veggies were spinach, onions and squash. Cooked the eggs and veggies in a lot of coconut oil. Yum! All this is very good for you. Good fats with a good N3 - N6 ratio as the eggs are omega 3 enriched, and the coconut is full of good fats. The bacon is fine too, natural, no nitrates added, could be better, but ok. This all fits in my diet well and hit the spot!

This is what I ate the night before my one year celebration to give me energy, and it worked out just well. I also had some sweet potatoes night before that too. Time for bed soon.
jamdls (04-13-2011), topspin (12-14-2011), uncle holmes (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 06:29 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

So...I had a planned relapse. Doritos and Pizza. A lot of pizza. With extra pepper jack cheese, pepperoni and sausage. My first really bad day since we started this. I'm not upset, I'll be back at it tomorrow. I knew I was going to do something like this this week, just didn't know what day. Just drank water and coconut milk as usual. I skipped the sweets at least.

Also had chicken, fruit, veggies and guac.
jamdls (04-15-2011), topspin (12-14-2011), uncle holmes (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Some good eats people!! Tonight I had steak, corn on the cob, roasted garlic, jasmine rice, and cabbage.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to recoverywfaith For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-13-2011), topspin (12-14-2011), uncle holmes (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice Ghostly and tomdecelt. But I just went and ordered what looked good. I don't eat Chinese too often.

We both got home from work and off we went for our once a month date night. We both started off with wonton soup. Also some of those chinese chips that you dip in some sweet orange sauce. Forgot what it's called. Then an egg roll.

Then the dinner came out. We got a dinner of mongolian beef and a dinner of almond boneless chicken with a dinner roll. I had a couple plates of the beef and chicken. Everything was delicious.

Then I had a scoop of chocolate ice cream after. My wife didn't eat much of her scoop of butter pecan ice cream. So I just went ahead and ate her scoop. Not much discipline tonight. Hopefully I didn't gain too much weight but I'm sure I gained some. I'll find out tomorrow morning. Back to more of a healthy diet tomorrow.
Ghostly (04-13-2011), topspin (12-14-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Making your own Chinese food isn't difficult. It doesn't taste like the stuff in the restaurants but it's still pretty good.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Latte For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (04-13-2011), topspin (12-14-2011), uncle holmes (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Uncle...we were bad eatin brothers today!
topspin (12-14-2011), uncle holmes (04-14-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Yes we were bad eating brothers yesterday Ghostly. But the good news is I'm shocked. Shocked that I didn't gain any weight when I weighed myself this morning.

I sometimes gain 2 to 4 pounds in one day if I have a big eating day. Of course when that happens I just cut back a little for the next day or two and I lose it. My trump card is speeding my metabolism by eating meals or snacks every 2-4 hours and lifting weights 2 times a week and cardio once a week to maintain strength and muscle mass.

But the true test is Fridays. Every Friday I stop and get 3 or 4 large pizzas for our family of four (wife, two sons). I usually eat about 7 pieces of pizza and then sometimes even have an ice cream cone after. Both my sons will eat a whole large pizza. But both workout about three times a week.

This is a healthy eating forum but I'm just being honest. Sort of what the Big Book says. We strive for progress not perfection. But I do try to eat healthy most of the time. About once a week I allow myself to splurge on pizza.

Quote from BB 1st ed.
Ghostly (04-14-2011), topspin (12-14-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Pizza night sounds fun Uncle. Good time spent with the family. Glad you didn't gain weight!

I'm doin better today. Fruit, veggies, an egg, some steak and guac.
topspin (12-14-2011), uncle holmes (04-15-2011)