Blogs

Kicking Asphalt - Pt. 3!!!

Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Yummy LF! Have fun. Eat some Nachos or something for me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-09-2011), LaFemme (02-10-2011), mygrandfather (02-09-2011), Really4Real (02-11-2011), topspin (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

I also think diet is huge when it comes to weight loss or maintenance. Now that I am more than 2 months sober, I think the pass I gave myself to be lax with my eating has expired. The past few days I have done really well with eating lots of fruits and veggies and not overloading so much on the sugar. I don't think I'm ready to shove handfuls of raw spinach down my throat, though.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DrunkenBasement For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-09-2011), LaFemme (02-10-2011), mygrandfather (02-09-2011), Really4Real (02-11-2011), tomdecel (02-09-2011), topspin (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Originally Posted by DrunkenBasement View Post
I don't think I'm ready to shove handfuls of raw spinach down my throat, though.
Well what are you waiting for?!?!?!? Shove it baby! It's all the new rage. Everyone is doin it. Shove away!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-09-2011), DrunkenBasement (02-09-2011), jamdls (02-10-2011), LaFemme (02-10-2011), mygrandfather (02-09-2011), Really4Real (02-11-2011), tomdecel (02-09-2011), topspin (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
Well what are you waiting for?!?!?!? Shove it baby! It's all the new rage. Everyone is doin it. Shove away!

Rrr.....roflmao !!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-09-2011), LaFemme (02-10-2011), Really4Real (02-11-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
Mr. Ghost is getting antsy.....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomdecel For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-09-2011), LaFemme (02-10-2011), Really4Real (02-11-2011), topspin (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrunkenBasement View Post
I also think diet is huge when it comes to weight loss or maintenance. Now that I am more than 2 months sober, I think the pass I gave myself to be lax with my eating has expired. The past few days I have done really well with eating lots of fruits and veggies and not overloading so much on the sugar. I don't think I'm ready to shove handfuls of raw spinach down my throat, though.
DB, wish I could get my pass to expire. I am just not controlling my eating at all..ups and downs, control and normal portions one day, then junk and overdoing it the next.

No ride today but i did make it out for my daytrip in the snow, that was nice, hills were empty, no lift lines, perfect. Here's a pic. Hope everyone is doing well.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mygrandfather For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-09-2011), DrunkenBasement (02-09-2011), jamdls (02-10-2011), LaFemme (02-10-2011), Really4Real (02-11-2011), tomdecel (02-09-2011), topspin (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 07:39 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Poor Ghost. You really are 'bout ready to crawl out of your skin, aren't you? Just behave for a bit longer, okay?!

I really am shocked at how much I eat, now. I'm also noticing that my running seems 'easier'...okay, at this moment it's easier. And horror of all horrors, I'm starting to reach for the fruit or the veggie.

Since the first of January I've lost 7 pounds....without even trying, really. I wasn't doing this to lose weight, but I'll take it. I guess since I've cleaned out the alcohol I'm ready to take the next healthy step. BUT, if anyone reaches for my vanilla creamer...there will be hell to pay.

Hi Butterfly! I know there is an answer to your question about exercising when ill. I think there's a rule of thumb depending on if it's in your head or your chest. But really, if you feel miserable...take the day off. It will hurt you more than help you if you end up wearing your body down and getting sicker. Hang in there....Ghostlys going nuts too, so you're in good company!

Easy 6 here. And a HUGE salad with everything in the fridge in it. I did eat it with a fork, however.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
DrunkenBasement (02-10-2011), LaFemme (02-10-2011), mygrandfather (02-10-2011), Really4Real (02-11-2011), tomdecel (02-09-2011), topspin (02-10-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Nice job coffee! You are awesome. There was a time not that long ago when you wouldn't have made those additional diet changes. Congrats on the weight loss. Good job on the runnin too.

DB - Nice job with the over two months. I'd say that seems about right to decide you want to focus on your diet. Think less than two months of sobriety would be pushin it a bit, but if you think you're ready, two months seems like it should be ok. Try not to stress about it though. Two months is still early. You're doin great.

Nice pic grand.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-10-2011), DrunkenBasement (02-10-2011), mygrandfather (02-10-2011), Really4Real (02-11-2011), tomdecel (02-09-2011), topspin (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Sleepy Sleepy! Hope y'all are gettin good sleep.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-10-2011), mygrandfather (02-10-2011), Really4Real (02-11-2011), topspin (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Good morning. Thanks so much for all the support all the time everyone! I love this thread.

Ghostly- I did get some good sleep. Thanks. Now I am getting ready for a session with my trainer. Might even do thirty or so minutes of cardio after!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrunkenBasement For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-10-2011), mygrandfather (02-10-2011), Really4Real (02-11-2011), topspin (02-10-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 04:10 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Woo Hoo !!
Coffee,
Tom can probably figure out the mathematical formula for the (expected) increase in speed per hour pushing that % less mass !?! I(s)/M = D(m)/P(w)
Lo ......my brain just cramped
(I'm always amazed just how much more I want (need) to eat too, since giving up all those empty, but charged, carbs in sugar )

Tom, I'm with Ghostly when I think of your diet; ...."clean'
......squeeky,
Did you start all that with the 'anti heart desease " push, when you started walking ?

Ghostly, hang in there brother. You're def. not alone feeling like a caged cat.
After talking with that PT earlier, I'm restricting my work to a ton of stretches, squats, and about a million incline push-ups ;
....all this in, or around, .......the hot tub. I swear, it feels like I'm going backwards most of the time !?!

May have been inflamming this knee working it too hard with what i love the most .

patience.......never my strong point.

DB, Congrats on the 60+ days !
You're doing great. It took me much (much, much, MUCH) longer than two months to connect any;
..... dots when it came to diet OR exersize. The first time I got sober.
Keep up the good work .

MGF, love no long lift lines. Great way to "get out in the snow"
....... why fight it when you can slide down with waxy boards strapped on !?!

Ghostly, I'm going to have to cut my coffee down some. I get so carried away with "a good thing' ........need to get back to drinking more water, instead.

Oh, I was thinking about when i first heard about that thing , how we eat lbs. and lbs. of sugar (per year) ; ......I was like, sure, .....sure we do.
Not me though.

Somebody else must be eating a hell of a lot, cause I KNOW I can't possibly be eating that much !?!??

Once i started actually reading ingredients, .....'well, maybe it's not quite so outlandish"

Butterfly, ....hope you feel better soon.

take care, gang
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-10-2011), DrunkenBasement (02-10-2011), Ghostly (02-10-2011), LaFemme (02-10-2011), mygrandfather (02-10-2011), Really4Real (02-11-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Ghostly: Get your butt outside for a walk today. No biking. No bridges. No lifting. But really, a good long walk will make you feel Better. Get!

Top: Patience is a virtue. :P

Basement: I agree..this thread is very valuable to me. Keep it goin'!

Grand: Maybe rather than controlling eating....how about just adding a certain number of fruits or veggies a day. That's it. Do whatever else you want, but you must eat that certain number. That's how I got started....and I've turned into a monster.

Have a Great Thursday! I love Thursdays!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (02-10-2011), LaFemme (02-10-2011), mygrandfather (02-10-2011), Really4Real (02-11-2011), topspin (02-11-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Good morning wonderful people! Got iced in again yesterday no work...so didn't get to the gym (but I went Mon and Tues night so a day off is ok) but I did get out and walk my dog around the neighborhood, have to maintain my status as "the crazy nieghbor lady", and I did some house cleaning (yes I'm a clean freak) and a little dancing to fight the boredom.
MG: Great picture!
Ghostly: I'm with you on the dark chocolate got to have me some chocolate at least once a week or I become rather um b*tchy.. Hope you are continuing to improve
When I first quit drinking I replaced alcohol w/chocolate-- ate massive quanities of chocolate, I would buy 4 lb bags of M&Ms and eat them by color, I went through about 2 bags a week plus I ate lots of other chocolate and not much else-- I ended up gaining 25 pounds in 18 months then I started cutting down and lost 15 lbs but it wasn't until I started working out last June, almost 3 yrs after gaining sobriety, that I lost the last 10 pounds and got in shape; at that time I started eating much healthier too because I was having recuring intestinal/colon problems and "you are what you eat", I try to stick with basically a "meditranean diet" now as that seems to work best for me.

I need to eat spinach but it always goes bad before I get around to cooking it so sometimes I buy the frozen but I'm not that crazy about it, I may have to try it raw.

Welcome back LF. over the holidays I gained 3 lbs and in Jan I was working out 4-5 times a week and couldn't lose the weight then last week I was iced/snowed in for 5 days and didn't get to the gym nor anywhere except walking my dog and I lost 2 pounds couldn't figure that out either...I always tend to weigh less on the weekends than during the week I think because at work I sit at a desk all day and when not at work I rarely sit still.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jamdls For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-10-2011), LaFemme (02-10-2011), mygrandfather (02-10-2011), Really4Real (02-11-2011), topspin (02-11-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Hi guys! Mexican was awesome last night...but it was fancy Mexican so instead of nachos they had double fried plantains which were insane...at least they were fruit...lol

I'm trying to get consistent about bringing my salad to work every day....saves time and calories!

I love spinach when sauteed in olive oil with garlic...yumm, could eat it by the buckets, but I have an excess of iron in my blood and have to be careful about that.

Have a great day!

P.S. - I second the idea that Ghostly go out and take a long walk!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LaFemme For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-10-2011), mygrandfather (02-10-2011), Really4Real (02-11-2011), topspin (02-11-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Well my trainer's car broke down so I think we are going to train tomorrow. I was already on my way to the gym when he called me so I did an hour of cardio anyway. Yippee!

I then came home and ate whole grain toast with peanut butter and banana slices. Holy triple YUM! I am now eating a bucket of steamed broccoli and cauliflauer. Not holy triple yum, but pretty good still. Also some sliced turkey breast. Oscar Mayer makes this lunchmeat called Carving Board. It's good stuff. Can be expensive, but I got it on sale.

In addition to wanting to cut down on sugar, I want to cut down on caffeine. I have been overloading on that. I make coffee every morning. Then on my way to work or wherever I almost always stop and get a diet pepsi. A 32 oz. Um, yeah, I do that about 2 or 3 times a day. Gross. And more coffee. I like the little buzz it gives me, but at some point I overdo it and it starts making me irritable. I don't really like that feeling! Plus, not only is sugar bad, but sugar substitute isn't much better. Something about the sweetness tricking your taste buds into sending a message to your brain that says, "Get ready for the sugar attack!" and the brain doesn't know that it isn't truly sugar and then some stuff happens and your body ends up storing more fat? Something along those lines. I'm sure someone here could explain it better.
coffeenut (02-10-2011), mygrandfather (02-10-2011), Really4Real (02-11-2011), topspin (02-11-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

For the past few months I was getting most my caffeine fom Excedrin, which I was taking too much of. I know it's bad to take that cuz of the acetaminophen. Other than a few natural sources (think some greens have caffeine) that is the only place I was getting it. Cut that about two weeks ago. Horrible headaches for a few hours a day that nothin would help. Then it passed. This is the longest I've went without caffeine since I was an infant. Although, I still wasn't gettin much. Loved a cold Pepsi / Diet Pepsi. The way it felt on my throat. mmmmmm. Really don't miss it now. The last one I had a few months ago tasted weird, then gave me a huge crash. When I have treats with a lot of sugar I feel like C R A P after.

I'm not tryin to be all preachy DB. You are having success doin what you're doin...and sobriety needs to be number 1 for you. You would probably feel so much better of you got rid of some of the caffeine / soda though. Hell...keep the coffee (not you coffee, I have dibs on you, the drink ), the soda would worth gettin rid of even if you keep the coffee / caffeine. If you're sleepin well. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about caffeine, well except the crashin, but if you cut back on soda that would be better anyway. Oh yeah...a lot of evidence suggests that the sweeteners in diet soda are worse than sugar.

Yummy LF.

Judy - I think a lot of us ate really bad when we first quit. Some people even recommend to just eat what we want. Think the body is trying to adjust and get back what it's missing, even if it is in a different form. Nice job reigning it in, and droppin the pounds! Glad you got a walk in.

Top - Sorry you have to cut it back. Is for the best though. You'll be back there in no time. Just follow their recommendations. At least you get to still do a lot of activities.

So...thanks everyone for suggesting the walk. It has been really cold here, like minus 20, not including the wind chill. We are supposed to have a heat wave this weekend, like 30 degrees. so I didn't know where we were at today, but about 1pm, I took the dogs for a walk. I have to do em one at a time, so guess what I found out on the first one? It's really FREAKIN cold out! My nose was killin me...it froze and all the blood and other stuff inside froze. Hurt like he!!. Fingers froze too. So I guess the heat wave isn't here yet. Took the second dog for a quick one when I got back or he'd a been pi$$ed! I sound like a whiner! I know! That cold really hurt the inside of my nose though.

When got home, decided to break Doc's orders a bit and did 50 squats and 50 push ups. Did em in sets of 10 and went really easy. think the point is there shouldn't be pressure on my nose, so I did em nice and slow. Did some ab exercises and very light stretching too.

Hope y'all are well.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-10-2011), DrunkenBasement (02-10-2011), jamdls (02-11-2011), Really4Real (02-12-2011), topspin (02-11-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Ghostly, quit preachin to me, will ya?
I totally agree with you... the coffee isn't so bad. I don't think I could cut it out or even switch to decaf completely. But the diet soda must go. I only had one today. It doesn't affect my sleep; I usually don't consume caffeine past 6 pm and sleep like a baby. It just makes me so darn moody.

And another thing -- LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR, DUDE! You have muscle memory. Those things aren't going away. Give it a rest. Take a nap. Read. Do a sudoku puzzle. Create new and exciting ways to eat raw spinach. Bug people on SR. Invent something. OK?

On a different note, I was looking back through one of the old threads. I saw some posts from back in September -- before I joined, before I got sober. It made me sad. I was thinking, here were these great people posting all these healthy things they were doing for themselves, and at the same time, I was still off in la-la land. Many of you were here, sobriety was there waiting for me, and I was probably slamming a twelve pack. Well, the good thing is, I didn't dwell on it for too long. It scared me a little bit, though! I guess that's not all bad.

Have a good evening.

Last edited by DrunkenBasement; 02-10-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: forgot to tell Ghostly to heed Doc's advice
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DrunkenBasement For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-10-2011), jamdls (02-11-2011), LaFemme (02-10-2011), Really4Real (02-12-2011), topspin (02-11-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ButterflyDreams View Post
So when do you think it will be okay to run again. I don't have a fever but might have had one a couple of days ago.

Anybody run when sick? I usually wait until I feel better (considering I have been sick maybe 2 -3 times in the last 10 years)... I'm just not sure when I should start up again.
Hi BD, I missed your post yesterday. I usually run with a cold no problem, just cut back. Last year in my training group I had a pretty bad cold and chest thing going and I was able to do a few longer runs with my group. But you must listen to your body.

Judy, LF on the spinach thing, here's what I just ate not 10 min ago. I sautéed fresh spinach in butter and about 5 cloves garlic with salt. Boiled red potatoes went in along with dry dill and black pepper. I mashed 'em up then poured in some buttermilk and added some mozzerela. Oh it was gooood. Funny how sometimes just mashed potatoes can be the greatest thing on earth.

Ghostly I'll join the chorus on walking. Get some air, stretch a bit...always helps.

Not my best rides in and home today, strong cold headwind this am and on the way home I was just sluggish, plus I was low on air in my rear tire so that did not help. Mentally preparing for a big run this saturday.

Have a good one everybody!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mygrandfather For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-10-2011), jamdls (02-11-2011), topspin (02-11-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Riding Barefoot

Originally Posted by mygrandfather View Post
Funny how sometimes just mashed potatoes can be the greatest thing on earth.

Not "funny" at all! I agree wholeheartedly. Mashed potatoes are insane. I am getting HUNGRY!!
coffeenut (02-10-2011), mygrandfather (02-11-2011), Really4Real (02-12-2011), topspin (02-11-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 05:40 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

You guys beat me to it. I was going to suggest to Mr Ghost that he goes out for a walk a couple of days ago but deleted the post when I saw the temp for Wis (Milwaukee) was -4 that night.

Not much here, on my way to try to get to Dallas tomorrow for my son's rescheduled audition on Sat, but now we are only going for a day and a half.

Next blip on my schedule: my Mother's 80th birthday next weekend with my two sisters and nieces and nephews getting together from all over the country for the weekend..... @ Disneyland.
~~~~~~~~
Questions about my diet: Yes I designed it after reading about hearth disease prevention and reversal. For me it is cabbage instead of spinach. Lots of roughage.
~~~~~~~~
Got two "animated" 4 mile hill walks yesterday and today but not much more. Dooing HIIT on the last mile with the steepest climb ~ it was 40 degrees this morning and I was sweating profusely when I finished. Correction: down 13 lbs (just a couple more to go).

Otherwise busy at work. Got to get up at 4:30 AM tomorrow if I want to get another 4 miler before I head off to the airport.

See you..... Go cabbage
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomdecel For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (02-10-2011), mygrandfather (02-11-2011), Really4Real (02-12-2011), topspin (02-11-2011)