Blogs

Kickin' Asphalt...The Fitness Daily!

Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

jamdls - I was going to say lunges also - it not only helps build the quads, but strengthens the muscles evenly. Glad your ankles are feeling better.
Don't worry, about another month and 1/2 and we'll be covered in snow for the next 4 months (I'm hoping I'm wrong!!). So, it will be the gym for me also.

Ghostly - the shoe thing... well, if the shoe fits, wear it - pretty simple :rotfxko Just messing with ya. See, I've never been on an elliptical - so that stuff is foreign to me.

I did have a good workout on my stationary bike at lunch - at least I did something also!

Nite all!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really4Real For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-19-2010), topspin (10-19-2010)
Old 10-19-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Noday: Check your shoes, too. Run down shoes are notorious for shin splints.

Judy: Stand with your back about 18" from a wall. Lean back against the wall and scrunch down until your knees are at about a 90* angle. Hold as long as you can. Clear as mud? They really do work.

Ghostly: So glad you got that work out in. Motivation can be such a killer....says she who blew off her run tonight.

Really: The stationary bike is a good workout.

Ultra: Always wanted to try Mizunos. Can never find them cheap enough. I'll keep looking...

As I said earlier, I blew off my run....went to DQ for dinner instead. How bad is that?!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (10-19-2010), topspin (10-19-2010)
Old 10-19-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Yes I agree that biking outdoors does sound wonderful. I've never done it here for fear of Georgia drivers. I went mountain bike riding in Mammoth this summer for the first time in a while. It was the beginning course and I ate it bad! I still had fun and the adrenaline was definitely flowing. Doing that started me on my exercise journey, it was then I realized how out of shape I really was.

I have been running 3 miles 5x a week for a month now. I started out barely being able to run a mile straight then worked my way up. It's become quite a routine and it's the longest I've worked out consecutively. Next on the list are a pair of good running shoes, which I'll be looking into at the beginning of next month.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evon For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-19-2010), Ghostly (10-19-2010)
Old 10-19-2010, 07:12 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Ultra: I have the Wave Rider also! 13. Very comfortable, except my left foot. I have to tie it a special way because my foot is 1/4" smaller and my heel slips, but then I find I have it too tight around mid foot - so looks like I have some experimenting to do.

Coffeenut: For me, Mizuno's fit like a glove around my feet. I lucked out and my biological mother asked me what I wanted for Christmas (first time ever), I said a gift certificate for a running store here... that's what she sent and I got the Mizuno's - Thee were around 120 I think. I'll be getting another pair in the next month.

I wanted to get a pair of street shoes and a pair of trail shoes - the Mizuno's for well for each - as long as you don't plan on getting into puddle and mud and such...

Hi Evon - Looks like you're building your base pretty well. That's what I'm doing. Staying at three until I feel comfortable enough to branch out.... although Saturday mornings are meant for longer runs -- so I'll probably try a bit longer.
Make sure you try them on and most specialty stores will allow you to take them for a short jaunt so you can get a feel for them. They should also look at your feet to see how they land so they can pick the type of shoe first - then you can go fo brand.

Hope at least one or two words of that helped.....
coffeenut (10-19-2010), topspin (10-19-2010)
Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Evon: Not sure I've welcomed you to the forum...if not....welcome! I found out the hard way that good shoes are a must. Don't wait too long to get them!

Really: I'll keep looking for Mizunos. I've also always wanted to go to a running store and have my gait looked at. And in my opinion...talking about running (or walking/biking/exercise in general) Always Helps....and it's fun, too!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Really4Real (10-19-2010), topspin (10-19-2010)
Old 10-19-2010, 07:38 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Yep... there's a whole new world of shoes out there.... I was just too drunk to notice before!
The Following User Says Thank You to Really4Real For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-21-2010)
Old 10-19-2010, 08:56 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Evon,
Welcome ! That's pretty cool on the 15 mi. weeks. And the first of the month is just around the corner. Georgia Drivers ?!? LO
On my ride last Sunday in Tifton, Ga (just N of you ) a guy in a pickup slowed down long enough to tell me; ....."you guys are idiots " lo I think I must've been having a "spiritual experience" Coffee mentioned, because his comment didn't bother me even a little. The funny part was when I saw him slow down up ahead 70yds to hollar at the next cyclist; ...I thought, "man , he's going to have to slow down several hundred times the next 6 miles to tell everyone of us " :rotfxko

It's GREAT to hear about all the early progress you runners are having !!

Coffee, with half marathons worked into your training, what could a little DQ hurt ?

Really, ...or any of you many runners;
How many miles do you expect to get out of a nice pair of running shoes ?
250 miles, 500 miles ?!? I guess weight might be a factor, and running surfaces ?

I used to spend outragous money on my favorite tennis shoes back in the early 80's. Wearing through tread on $60 New Balances every 40-50 days , ...but that was on hard courts.

Jamdls, ....there is a gym I'll probably have to join for a few months when it gets too cold around here Jan & Feb, .......something about being outdoors working out really improves my serenity. With high humidity, I can start pouring sweat in no time with high rep work with light weights. Like tennis on smokin' hot days, I think I'm getting more work in than I probably am, just because I'm soaked !?! lo

I guess I just feel good sweatin'
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-21-2010), Really4Real (10-20-2010)
Old 10-20-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hi Topspin - In answer to your shoe question, it depends on the shoe (how it's made) and I take into consideration how much weight or force I'm putting them through and yes, the surface. I usually get about 3-400 in my Nike's. But expect 400 miles out of the Mizuno's. It's been looking like I change them out about every 6 months. It's all about how much cushioning is left. Midsole - heel (depending on what you strike first) starts getting soft - if they're getting mushy you'll start feeling it in your knees or somewhere, time to start looking for another pair. That's my take on it anyway

Some of the others might be able to give more or better advice.

Have a great day everyone!
coffeenut (10-21-2010), topspin (10-20-2010)
Old 10-20-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome Evon! Nice runnin.

I did about 3 miles bike / 4 miles blading today. Off to work soon.

Have a good day everyone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-21-2010), Really4Real (10-20-2010), topspin (10-20-2010)
Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Not running tonight as I have my little boy. Besides that I'm going to bank the running I've done over the last three nights....I'm only just back so need to be sensible.

Happy exercisin' everyone!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ultrarunner For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-21-2010), Really4Real (10-20-2010), topspin (10-20-2010)
Old 10-20-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Ultra,

Three days in a row, just getting back into it is fab. Rest/active rest is necessary, let's not forget, and with a lil one around, it's most definitely active rest, if not in the traditional sense. Hope you have fun tonight!

All ~ Am gunning to start posting here more often (if you'll have me ). On active rest today. Back to the gym first thing tomorrow morning and then hope to be able to ride around 30 miles both days this weekend before the dropping temps here become too much for lil 'ole me to handle! Missed out riding last weekend because of a bug and the legs are itching to go! As the days get shorter and colder, I'll be relying on you guys to keep me motivated, tee hee. I'm thinking it'll be great going into the holidays having to put on weight ~ woo hoo!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LadyLuck For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-21-2010), Ghostly (10-21-2010), itisatruth (10-20-2010), Really4Real (10-20-2010), topspin (10-20-2010), Ultrarunner (10-20-2010)
Old 10-20-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Lady luck,
Now that's really thinking ahead !?!
"I'm thinking it'll be great going into the holidays having to put on weight ~ woo hoo!!"
.....great stuff

this might be the best day I've had in years. Went to an Orthopedic surgeon today and he said I have a badly damaged ACL. Get to go for an MRI Fri. and back to see him Tues.
I'm encouraged as hell !!!, ....optimistic about some relief for this unstable knee I've been draggin' around for 37 years.

Even got pulled by a sheriff (who I almost hit in an unmarked car ) speeding through the tail end of yellow/ red light on a state hwy; .......and he ended up only giving me a warning ticket. whew !?! I haven't had a ticket since the late 80's, well, not tickets really, just arrest warants. LO
...want to keep it squeaky clean now. Clean and Sober

If things work out, I may be in the market for some of those fancy running shoes one day

Y'all keep on kickin'
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-21-2010), Ghostly (10-21-2010), itisatruth (10-20-2010), LadyLuck (10-21-2010), Really4Real (10-20-2010)
Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Yeah, I was really super-stressed today - kicked up a notch by some massive anxiety. So, long story, short - I actually 5 miles right after work! Surprised myself - took about 54 minutes. I guess I had some pent up 'stuff' to run out. It worked.... didn't feel like slamming a few down after work.

Topspin - glad you found out what the problem was. Hope for quick healing!

Ultra - have no clue what you said about 'banking your runs'. If that's part of running lingo - I don't think I've gotten that far Hope your having fun tonight!

Hi Ladyluck... happy cycling! I'm hoping to get a bike in a couple weeks - I feel a bit clumsy on them (even though I road them all the time a million years ago). And I guess a motorcycle doesn't count... Oh well, hopefully I'll learn.

I do have a bike question though - how should it fit? I have a 30" inseam and I heard my feet shouldn't be flat on the ground, but shouldn't I at least be able to touch with both feet?

Have a great night everyone!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Really4Real For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-21-2010), itisatruth (10-20-2010), LadyLuck (10-21-2010), topspin (10-21-2010)
Old 10-21-2010, 05:11 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Topspin,
Yeah, I'm already planning a killer workout on Thanksgiving morning! Sorry to hear about your ACL tear. Are you considering surgey? I had reconstruction on one of my knees a few weeks after I blew it out skiing and if I may offer a piece of unsolicited advice(!?) If you're planning on getting surgery, be vigilant about a weight lifting program beforehand. My doctor attributed my quick recovery to the muscle strengthening I did pre-surgery. I also changed the hinge setting on the contraption they put you in starting 4 days after to prevent muscle atrophy and get going on movement. It took a year to fully recover, but it was absolutely worth having the stability back. Anyways, good luck! Let us know how the MRI turns out!

Really4Real,
Exciting on your plans to get a bike! Road or Mtn? I promise you that you won't feel clumsy after spending some time on it. As with everything, once you get comfortable and get your form down, it will feel like second nature in time. There are actually quite a few considerations to make in terms of finding the right fit. Here's one of several articles on the topic that you might find of help: The Colorado Cyclist :: Bicycle Parts and Accessories
If you can find a place near you that offers professional fittings, it's very much worth the investment in terms of the pain you'll save and you'll improve your energy efficiency out of the gate. But, that's just my opinion and it depends on how much time you plan on spending on your bike. You can also be quite fine without it, just follow the general guidelines and you should be fine. I also have a 30' inseam and ride a 51 frame on one brand and a 50 on another (both road), so it also depends on the manufacturer and geometry. Good luck!

Alright, circuit training at home this morning for 20 mins. Then cardio at the gym this afternoon. A girl's gotta get some work done!

Have a wonderful day y'all!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LadyLuck For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-21-2010), Really4Real (10-21-2010), topspin (10-21-2010)
Old 10-21-2010, 05:46 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

R4R: It's an expression my coach used to use. I think it just means that the improvements in form effectively take place on rest days.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ultrarunner For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-21-2010), Really4Real (10-21-2010), topspin (10-21-2010)
Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Walk-jogged again yesterday. That would make it run #4 I believe, and the difference from day one is already noticeable in how far I can jog without getting winded. No muscle soreness or tightness, tendon tweaking, or shin splints so far which is exactly the way I want it. At 50 years of age my body just can't go full throttle from zero any more!

Conditions were perfect; 4 degrees celsius, gusting strong winds and driving rain

Murray
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Murray4x5 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-21-2010), Really4Real (10-21-2010), topspin (10-21-2010), Ultrarunner (10-21-2010)
Old 10-21-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Murray....good stuff....just take it from one who knows and take it easy...nothing worse than an early injury when you're just getting into it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultrarunner For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-21-2010), topspin (10-21-2010)
Old 10-21-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

LadyLuck - thanks for the info, I'll check out the link.

Murray -- Slow and easy is a good thing!

I had a LOT of pent up anxiety/ stress yesterday... so I ended up running 5 miles on a pretty hilly trail! I felt pretty good after - tired out so I didn't want to drink (or eat for that matter) - no muscle soreness today. A little twinge of something on my left foot (instep), but didn't bother me afterwards nor today. And I'm 10:45 minutes per mile (started out this go around about 11:45)!

On the stationary bike again today at lunch - 30 minutes - should go about 9-10 miles.

Have a nice day everyone!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:14 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome LadyLuck! Sounds like you got some good ridin goin on. Also sounds like you gotta get some outdoor work in before the cold comes too.

Top - Well...Guess I'm glad for you about your knee? I get that your glad you finally know what it is and there may be relief. Good luck and keep us posted.

I was feelin tttiiiirrrrrreeeeedddddd and worn out today...not sure why. Last night felt like I was getting sick but feel ok today. Still wanted to get something in. Did a few push ups, crunches and light stretching. Better than nothing I guess.

Have a good weekend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Ladyluck: Welcome!

Top: Isn't it odd to get pulled over and you almost want to breathe right on the cop, so he knows you're sober? Speeding is easy because you can handle getting a speeding ticket that has nothing to do with a dui, right?!

Murray: You're doing great! Slow and easy to start it off.

Really: Hills are just speedwork in disguise.

Ghostly: Sounds like your body is saying you need a rest. I'm glad you are listening!

Work is so crazy here....no work out today, or tomorrow. It's just go, go, go
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
LadyLuck (10-25-2010), Really4Real (10-22-2010), topspin (10-22-2010)