Blogs

Kickin' Asphalt...The Fitness Daily!

Old 11-07-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Murray,
Good to hear you're back out with the roadwork !

Worth It, ....congrats on 81 days ! Sounds like you are living a wonderful new lifestyle.
I'm gonna have to bring my light weights around here to work. Great idea !?!
......nice sig. too.

Coffee, I'm still painting , but it's all exterior work on the glass shop. I do have to pour some footings next for a simple drive-thru boat shed. Thankfully, that boat doesn't need any work .....(yet) lo ......how's your back ?! Are you doing the moist heating pad treatment ?

Beautiful unseasonably cool weather around here too.

Keep on kickin' gang

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (11-07-2010), Ghostly (11-07-2010), Really4Real (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Permission denied.

Great day in Southern California. Blue sky, slight breeze, temps in the mid 70's. Got up early, great bike ride with my Sunday club. Great workout, great bunch of guys and gals. Group ride called for 40 miles with an extra 20 for our early birds. I wold have gone for the 60, but coming back from my back injury I took it easy and only did the 40.

Came home to the tail end of a football game. Our team won.

Took the wife and 17 year old son out for brunch and hit the farmers market and a quick stop at the grocery store on the way back.

In a couple of hours my salmon and chicken breasts for the week will go on the grill, but for now, my work is done.

W says it is time for her two-hour Sunday afternoon nap. This is my time to drink. A couple of stiff ones would just help me relax and get all the thinking demons to quiet down. Who is going to know?

I asked myself if I could and the answer is absolutely NO. I am committed to living sober. Alcohol is not my friend, I don't want it, I don't need it. I am in control. I will not let it control me.

So there, I may very well have to be my own cheerleader, but I am doing a pretty good job at it.

Tonight, maybe I will go to the gym and take a nice steam bath and sauna, but for now, time to turn the engines off. Alcohol free.

<<<<day 38>>>>>
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tomdecel For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (11-07-2010), Ghostly (11-07-2010), topspin (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hey All!

WorthIt.... welcome! Yep, you gave me an idea also about the light weights at work while reading. I'm responsible for everything regulatory (OSHA, EPA, etc...) - so I'm reading quite frequently (and likewise at the computer most of the time).

Coffee... hope you get to better soon. I hate back problems... hurt my lower back in a car accident a few years ago and still acts up more than I like to admit. Do my exercises and it goes away for a while (shouldn't have taken the payoff).

Top - glad things are getting resolved.... wish it was a little faster for you - everything in it's time, huh?

DeeC - lifting the dog - now that would be a good resistance... 30 pound bishon frise (he needs exercised also....).

Murray -- whoooo hooo - glad you're back at it! And the creepy crud is gone!

Ultra - how's it going?

Nothing for me today -- rest day after the 6 mile yesterday... back at it tomorrow!

Keep on keeping on!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Really4Real For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (11-07-2010), Ghostly (11-07-2010), tomdecel (11-07-2010), topspin (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Top: Glad to see I'm not losing what is left of my mind....there was a boat and there was paint involved. And....I'm doing the soaking in the tub thing....does that count as moist heat?!

Dee: If it helps, I'm my own cheerleader...as most people must be, I think. My husband of 30 years still drinks. It would make his life much easier if I'd go back to my old ways, I'm sure.

You are in control. You can do this. Are you an AA person? Would that help? For me, SR is my lifeline to sobriety. I spend a lot of time here.....but less time than I spent drinking.

Oh, and YOU would know.

Really: Hope you enjoyed your rest day!

Back is better today...HOPING I can get out tomorrow. Hoping.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (11-08-2010), ItWillBeWorthIt (11-08-2010), Really4Real (11-08-2010), topspin (11-07-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by Really4Real View Post
DeeC - lifting the dog - now that would be a good resistance... 30 pound bishon frise (he needs exercised also....).
My dog (er: my son's) is a 40 to 45 lb beagle. We have a 2.5 mile loop and once or twice a week I take him on it.

Dog loves to walk with me but not if the sun is too harsh. Every once in a while he will just stop on his tracks for several minutes and refuses to move. I have had to pick him up and carry him for about 100 yards a couple of times and then he will go again again.

One time we were in the parking lot of a market and so I picked him up and pushed him in a shopping cart for a bit. He hated it. He is just like me...stubborn as a mule. But I always win.....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tomdecel For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (11-08-2010), ItWillBeWorthIt (11-08-2010), Really4Real (11-08-2010), topspin (11-08-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Did 4.9km (3.1 miles) today in 36 minutes including the usual warm up and cool down walks, plus one poop and 4 pee's for the dog.

Went over the 30 minute mark today, but wanted to add some more distance. I'll keep this route until I can come in under 30 minutes comfortably. Still haven't had any soreness of any kind - no shin splints, no sore muscles, no hamstring troubles, nothing. There has been a very slight tightness in my muscles that feels really good to stretch out, but that's it.

I figure I'm entering a real danger zone when starting to get back into shape; my muscles are getting stronger faster than my bones, ligaments and tendons are. The mind and body are going to want to ramp things up really fast, but could cause injury to those parts that take longer to 'toughen up'. Gotta add things gradually...

Feels good to feel good again

Murray
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Murray4x5 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (11-08-2010), ItWillBeWorthIt (11-08-2010), Really4Real (11-08-2010), topspin (11-08-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

I love reading everyone's routine for motivation....as soon as I can get up to speed I'll join in on a regular basis....baby steps.

but I enjoy it...i have a weight bench at home and am finally making use of it for chest presses and flys....I am doing push-ups at an angle on the kitchen counter until I get stronger, squats, oblique abs....I walk the dog 1/2 mile twice a day and made a mile on the treadmill this morning at 3.4 on a 4% grade....I feel it and it feels good....

i figure consistency is progress.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fandy For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (11-08-2010), ItWillBeWorthIt (11-08-2010), Really4Real (11-08-2010), topspin (11-08-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 04:58 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hi Ye Royale Exercise Gurus!

Made you feel pretty good there for a second, didn't I?

Ok, so I'm a little ornery today.... I like it....
I still haven't put that dang bike together. I did find the directions a little bit ago, but I have to do some reading for a class I'm doing at church on Thursday... part of the leadership - I should read what we're reviewing I suppose :^)

I only got 4 miles in today - ran outside CC. Huge hill about mile 1/2 in. Got to dark at the park to run any longer than that. Got to play it safe, even though the ranger was there... oh well, at least I got to enjoy the 50 degree weather. Supposed to be in the low 60's the rest of the week, but not when I get off work. I don't work out until about 4:45 each evening (except Saturday - I switch to morning)... Only thing about running outside, I don't get the benefit of the rec center weight machines....

Fandy, welcome !!! Good idea about doing the push ups on the counter... I've always wanted to do pushups, but can't seem to get it together on those. I think I might try something a little lower, but you gave me ideas!

OK, now - where oh where did Ultra go??? Come out, come out wherever you are! I'm hoping your starting to feel better - my fellow runner friend!

And talking about fellow runner friends:

Coffee - did you get out today, or is your back still holding you captive??? I wish I had some advice for upper back - I usually need it cracked when it hits me between the shoulder blades....

GREAT JOB, Murray! Even with the dog doing what dogs do! Taking it slow is good. I add about a 1/2 mile per week on my long runs. Wanting to do 5 miles daily (or whenever I get out there) which is within reach.

Off to read some..... have a kickin night!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really4Real For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (11-08-2010), topspin (11-08-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Wow, everyone is making great progress.

I actually walked/jogged approx. 2 miles... that right, I jogged for portions of the 2 miles. It was so exciting, because I didn't have to lay on the ground halfway through.

My little bishon frise... I call her my adopted four legged daughter loves to tag along when I walk and I really enjoy the company. Just started listening to inspirational / motivational stuff on my iPod while I walk or do stairs -- time goes by so quickly.

Going to try to jog more of the 2 miles tomorrow... little by little I will be able to jog the entire 2 miles like a few years ago.

Anyway, I feel wonderful!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ItWillBeWorthIt For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (11-08-2010), topspin (11-08-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

RfR,
"Hi Ye Royale Exercise Gurus!" lo
Yea, I'm feeling pretty good today, and you made me feel even better !?!

I'll take that kind of orneryness anyday !

Good job on the roadwork , Worthit, Murray and RfR, and DeeCelt on the canine deadlifts !?!

Fandy, I really love to work in incline push-ups on the back of my couch, in the middle of some high rep work with lighter dumb bells. Outstretching my grip seems to really work the outer pectorals (while hands together works the center [or inner pectorals]
Glad to see you again.

My only workout today was more exterior painting for 3 hours with a brush, ......such beautiful weather, and I'm getting faster (I think ?!?)

Y'all keep kickin'

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (11-08-2010), ItWillBeWorthIt (11-09-2010), Really4Real (11-09-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hi guys! I've been here on SR for a bit, but never looked into this group before. Glad I did!! I'm a personal trainer, and former figure competitor. My passion is health and wellness, and sharing it with others. You all sound like you have great routines, and I love the motivation you give each other!
Just wanted to introduce myself!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to julez For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (11-08-2010), ItWillBeWorthIt (11-09-2010), Really4Real (11-09-2010), topspin (11-09-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Wow, a former figure competitor. That takes dedication. Welcome julez. I am new to the group myself and still trying to learn everyone's MO. Only been posting here for a couple of weeks but the folks here have been very supportive. Thank you all for that.

I believe in fitness and try to do as much as I can to stay on top of the wave. It is great to find like minded friends who make fitness and sobriety an important part of our lives.

By the way, since you are a personal trainer, I have this little nagging..... just kidding. Would never do that to you.
coffeenut (11-08-2010), ItWillBeWorthIt (11-09-2010), topspin (11-09-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome Fandy and Julez! Glad to have you here....the more the merrier! This really is an awesome place.....with awesome people. Lots of positive motivation!

I did get out for 7....the back hurt a little...but I was about ready to go nuts....so I just went for it. So far, so good!

Oh, and painting is good cross training!

I'm out early tonight. Have a great evening, all!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
ItWillBeWorthIt (11-09-2010), Really4Real (11-09-2010), topspin (11-09-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 09:50 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Ok...this Thread is hard to keep up with now! Geez! Good thing though!

R4R - Nice last couple runs! Especially the one Saturday...nice job. I think Celt covered the resistance answer well. Machines do count. I do mostly body weight resistance myself. Ref to my thumb - I cut most of the tip off...will save everyone the rest of the details.

Celt - Congrats on the sobriety...and the inspiring story. I like readin your posts. Part of why is selfish...I like hearing about the nice weather. Nice job with the longer rides (long for me anyway).

Nice run coffee! Depending on the situation I think sometimes it is good to get back out there unless the injury absolutely will not allow it. Glad your back is better.

Murray - Awesome job. I'd recommend you stretch. Some static and dynamic. That should help with potential injuries. I feel a difference when I haven't for a while. At least make sure you keep warming up like you have.

Top - Seriously bro, are you paintin the entire neighborhood?!?!?!? Do people where you live wake up, go outside to get the paper and see their house has been painted overnight?!?!?!? Just given you a hard time, seems like you been paintin for a while! All that work does count as exercise too. Hope you're well! I may take you up on that boat ride offer some day.

Fandy - Nice job. Sounds like you've been maikn great progress! Look forward to readin more form you.

Julez! Welcome! I've read a lot of your Posts on other Threads.

Awesome job WorthIt. Sounds like you are doin well. Just readin your last...sounds relaxin (not in an easy way!) with your four legged daughter and the motivational program. Do you jog in the country or in a city or something else? I kinda picture a nice country path.

Well...I did a late work out. Normally work out during the day but I took yesterday off and wanted to get something in so did it after work after 10pm. My circuit of sprints, push ups, squats, modified rows and ab exercises. Was kinda tired and didn't push myself like I shoulda. Ended with some bridges. Really not a good reason for me not to work out later if I don't get something in.

Do it to it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (11-09-2010), Really4Real (11-09-2010), topspin (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
Awesome job WorthIt. Sounds like you are doin well. Just readin your last...sounds relaxin (not in an easy way!) with your four legged daughter and the motivational program. Do you jog in the country or in a city or something else? I kinda picture a nice country path.
Thanks Ghostly. It is rather relaxing and I do live on the outskirts of the city, so it is on a country path, allowing my adopted daughter to run with me without a leash. This is a great outing for her as well. I look forward to today's walk and jog. Today will be even better... great night sleep and full of energy.

Have a wonderful workout my SR companions!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ItWillBeWorthIt For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (11-09-2010), Ghostly (11-09-2010), Really4Real (11-09-2010), topspin (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 05:37 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

when I do the push-ups on the kitchen counter I angle my body out to about 45 degrees, be careful not to slip or you could crack a tooth!

If you have stairs in your house, you might try working a push up on them for a lower angle...(i live in a ranch)....

I managed 23 mins. on the treadmill and my regular wts. reps...i'm only doing one set each so I do them every day right now.

thanks very much for the warm welcome, I appreciate the feedback!...back in the "old days" i used to get in a minimum of 3-4 miles each AM....I hope to work my way back there....even if it is 5 feet at a time.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fandy For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (11-09-2010), Ghostly (11-09-2010), ItWillBeWorthIt (11-09-2010), LaFemme (11-09-2010), Really4Real (11-09-2010), topspin (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 06:59 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Ghostly: Bridges?

Worth it: Hey! Glad you are here.

Fandy: Slow and steady is the right way, imo. Doing to much....can be overwhelming. I like how you incorporate working out to things you can use in your home.

TM for me, tonight. Planning on some travel this weekend....so I'm trying to get some mileage here....so I can play there.

Have a GREAT evening! Don't sweat toooooo much!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Fandy (11-10-2010), Ghostly (11-09-2010), Really4Real (11-09-2010), topspin (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hey There, Hi There, Ho There....

Didn't do a darn thing today.... ok, walked the dog for about a mile, but nothing else. Running tomorrow for sure though.

Fandy - I'm with Coffee -- now I'm looking at using my steps for pushups in the mornings.

Coffee - glad you're back in the swing of things! Hope things stay calm physically for your getaway.

Julez Welcome! Glad you've decided to post with us!

Pretty tired right now... tough day at work and with my therapist - but gotta get through this emotional junk because I know stress/anxiety tends to help retain weight and the running suffers also.

Keep on doing it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Really4Real For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (11-09-2010), Ghostly (11-09-2010), topspin (11-10-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Really: Emotional crap will kick your butt harder than any interval you could run. I think....it's because you do it to yourself....or it's how you react to what others have done.

Is it at least a 'good' kind of tired...where you feel like you've made progress? I hope so!

Walking the dog is a GOOD thing, to do! Please be gentle with yourself as you sort out the other 'stuff'.

Okay....someone get this soapbox away from me!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Really4Real (11-10-2010), topspin (11-10-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

A bit frustrated on my end. Trying to do three or four bike workouts this week, but I got up Monday morning, looked out the window and what did I see >>> rain. I have had to finish many bike rides in the rain, but I am sure not about to start one when it is slick.

I looked at the radar map and it just showed a few small patches of green so I though about putting on a wind breaker and do a quick 4 mile walk. As soon as I said it, a quick downpour so I just got in the shower to go to the office, and I soon as got my hair wet, guess what? the sun came out.

Then today and tomorrow I ended up with early morning meetings. I don't like to bike when I know I have to run someplace right after the ride. My favorite part of my morning is coming home to a nice shower and a cup of strong coffee in front of the computer for half an hour and just let the good feelings sink in. I end up rushing to much when I have to run someplace early.

I settled for a 4 mile walk on my hilly loop today. My version of HIIT is to go up and down hills. May have to do the same tomorrow.

See you all.
coffeenut (11-10-2010), Really4Real (11-10-2010), topspin (11-10-2010)