Blogs

Kickin' Asphalt...The Fitness Daily!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the positive and encouraging responses y'all.

I haven't really been obsessing on any decision (which is a good thing, for me !?! )

After that meeting , I just felt like getting on my bike and riding forever. Sort of a Forest Gump response. lo

I'm worn out tonight at work (in a good way) , from the housepainting earlier. Lots of extension ladder climbing. Will be soooo glad to get that job finished to open up more hours for cycling again. Some rainy days are coming,(nixes painting) and that'll be a great opportunity to get back out on the road.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-27-2010), Ghostly (10-27-2010), Really4Real (10-28-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  
6/20/08

LL: Raisels!

Ghostly: I only do intervals once a week. They're too hard!

Top: I love that....being worn out in a good way. I never knew how to do that, or feel that, when I was drunk. If I was tired, I'd drink to wake up, if I had energy, I'd drink to relax. And now.....just to 'feel'....Now I'm rambling. Bottom line is....feels good to feel good!

Rest day, here. Long run tomorrow. Have a good evening...or day....wherever you are!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (10-27-2010), Really4Real (10-28-2010), topspin (10-27-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 11:54 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Hey Top I hear what you're saying. I had a really busy day yesterday involving spinning, running and spinning and running after my 13 month old....was seriously flagging by half ten (early for me). But sober tiredness is so much better a feeling than drunken lethargy.

I have a cold coming on.....overtraining perhaps?

Keep kickin' guys and let's keep this awesome thread going!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ultrarunner For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-28-2010), Ghostly (10-28-2010), Really4Real (10-28-2010), topspin (10-30-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Top, hope you get some riding in today! You reminded me that I have to do some painting also - guess I better check the forecast for this weekend!

Ghostly - how's that elliptical holding up - I was thinking about getting something on the inexpensive side for my husband (wondering how much weight it will hold).

I agree with everyone -- It feels good to feel good or to 'feel' period! Makes me feel like I'm living life the way it was intended to live.

LL - The bike that they have here is a Huffy Olympia 26" -- I think they only want $60 for it (that's why I'm getting it)! But I'm assuming that it will work for the short-term???

I ran (with just a little walking) 6 miles last night. My pace kind of stunk - still not feeling well. But it's was about a minute faster than I've done since getting back into it (1'07"). I think I could do much better on a flat track....
Still not feeling well - a friend told me last night it might be bad bacteria -- but I'm leaning more towards a virus again - whatever it is, it isn't letting me go.

Ultra, could be wearing yourself out a bit -- especially being that the weather's changing - except it sounds like it's already changed over in your neck of the planet! Lots of Vitamin C and Zinc do it for me if I catch the cold right off the bat.

Today is a rest day for me.... too much to do after work. Did take my dog for a walk at lunch (does that count
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really4Real For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-28-2010), topspin (10-30-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey all!

Top - For some odd reason...I've heard a commercial a couple times in the last couple days. It's about a knee replacement that is supposed to last for at least 30 years. Kinda weird that I would hear that now, although maybe it's just that I paid more attention. Guess it's a breakthrough. I'm not suggestin you go with the replacement, just remindin you there are many options out there. Some even your Dr. may not be aware of. Hope you're well.

coffee - Your runs would kick my A$$!

Ultra - Nice workin out. Hope you can fight off that cold. I love your statement about sober tiredness bein so much better than drunken lethargy.

R4R - The elliptical machine holds up well for me. I'm around 195lbs. It is pretty loud. It also goes through batteries, especially when on a higher level. I'd recommend one that runes on electricity. Mine is cheap though too. Nice job with the run. Walking the dog today does count as well! Especially for a day off.

Well...they are talking snow this weekend. Even if it doesn't, it's not far off. I gotta make a plan for the winter.

Got my work out in today. Started with hand stand push ups / pull ups, and some squats. Took my time with that. Then did my circuit with sprints on the elliptical machine, push ups, squats lunges and some ab work. Did five rounds and kept my time in between sets down pretty good. Ended with some stretching and bridges. Now some work around the house.

End of vacation is coming...Halloween almost here though.

I've had a craving for that evil cookie the last couple days. Two big chocolate chip cookies with butternut frosting in between...yum. Probably just a matter of when not if at this point. I did have a good snack today. Cut up two sweet potatoes. Cooked em in olive oil with pepper and onions. Darn good. I almost never have potatoes, but sweet potatoes are within what I try to eat.

Do it to it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-28-2010), Really4Real (10-28-2010), topspin (10-30-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 06:13 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Hi everybody

Found a map of our city with measured jogging routes, so I ran the 3.55 km (2.2 mile) loop that goes by our house today. Jogged a lot more than walked and got home in 25 minutes.

This is week three I think...

Really looking forward to being in shape again!!!!!!!!!

Murray
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Murray4x5 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-28-2010), Ghostly (10-28-2010), Really4Real (10-28-2010), topspin (10-30-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Murray, great job! You can also go to mapmyrun.com and come up with other routes.

Ghostly, he's around 255lbs., so it's a little hard to find something that will hold him. But he's also 6'4"... He's losing weight though. I'm just trying to find something that he'll like, and something not so hard on the knees.
But snow does not sound very fun right now.... it's supposed to get down in the low thirties here at night, but during the day on Saturday, it's supposed to be 60 - hope I'm feeling better so I can go do my 'long' run.

Well, I found out today that I definitely have one of the funky viruses going around. Talking to a friend and they have the same thing - although they were smart enough to go to the doctor... lightheaded, nausea and just a little sore throat. She fainted though twice. Doctor said that it lasts about a week to 10 days and not to do any strenuous activity.... oops... so I've probably been prolonging mine by pushing myself. I guess I just never know when to quit... except for drinking, that is

Time to vacate the web... good night everyone!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Really4Real For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-28-2010), Ghostly (10-28-2010), topspin (10-30-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hi everyone! I got 10 tonight that were slow and sloggy. Could be the cinnamon rolls and sugar cookies that I insisted on eating all day. I MUST get this sugar under control. It's getting quite ridiculous. I may even have to break down and try Ghostly's sweet potato treat. Wonder if it would work w/regular potatos?

Glad to see everyone moving and shaking. Sometimes I peek in before work...to give me incentive to hit it after work. THANKS!

I'm outta here for a couple days. Just a little mind clearing road trip. I'm taking the running shoes.

Have a GREAT weekend!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (10-28-2010), Really4Real (10-30-2010), topspin (10-30-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Hey, thanks for the mapmyrun.com tip R4R...that will be a big help in finding out how far I'm getting on these 30 minute runs. I should start taking a watch with me!

Murray
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Murray4x5 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-31-2010), Ghostly (10-29-2010), Really4Real (10-30-2010), topspin (10-30-2010)
Old 10-29-2010, 12:08 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

That's awesome Murray. Sounds like you're motivated. You can do this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-31-2010), topspin (10-30-2010)
Old 10-29-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

So...I was cutting sweet potatoes today. Decided to cut the tip of my thumb off! Just got back from the Dr. Ughhhhhh! Oh well...won't slow me down. Do it to it y'all.
coffeenut (10-31-2010), Really4Real (10-30-2010), topspin (10-30-2010)
Old 10-29-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

YIKES!

Those darned opposable thumbs, always getting into trouble!

Hope you heal up fast...

Murray
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Murray4x5 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-31-2010), Ghostly (10-29-2010), topspin (10-30-2010)
Old 10-29-2010, 08:29 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Ghostly - Speedy recovery and a Happy Halloween (and everyone else, too!)

Did 40 mins of circuits at home today and am pleasantly wiped out.

Sweet dreams
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadyLuck For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-31-2010), topspin (10-30-2010)
Old 10-30-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

This is starting to feel good - I'm actually feeling a little like a real runner

Including small warm up and cool down walks, one poop and a bunch of pee breaks (for the dog, not me ) in today's 30 minutes I went 3.95 km (2.46 miles).

It felt like I could have kept jogging through a couple of my walking breaks, but thought I should walk anyways to give my legs a chance to get used to all the pounding. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll ramp it up.

Thanks again for that mapmyrun website - it's wicked cool!

Murray
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Murray4x5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Nice job Murray and Lady! Ain't it great how much better, even if worn out, we feel after a good work out?!!?!?!?

R4R mentioned mapmyrun.com...I'm not familiar with that, but have used MapMyRide.com (which I assume is at least affiliated, if not the same). I didn't use it to map out a ride, but did do a 30 day challenge on it. There are a lot of different tyepes of challenges on there, you can do for free. Can be inspiring. I used to check it daily to see where I was at.

Got a work out in. Now I'm goin out to dinner with my wife and parents. Wanted to work out before so I don't eat as bad. If I had waited till after I prob woulda skipped it. Also had a post work out meal so I don't go out starved. My first work out without the tip of my thumb!

Woot Woot said the owl!
Old 10-30-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Still keeping up with my exercising I actually now have someone to exercise with. Her and I go to the track and I run a couple of miles and walk a mile with her. Since I've been running mainly this past month, I noticed my legs are sore after the walking! I think it was a much needed change because I think my body was getting used it . I did 5 days this week and today I'm going to just walk around the track before we head to the meeting. Still haven't gotten my shoes yet, I'm waiting till next week then I'm going to the store where they do foot scans and recommend a good shoe for me. It'll be my late bday present to me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Evon For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-31-2010), Ghostly (10-30-2010), Really4Real (10-30-2010), topspin (10-30-2010)
Old 10-30-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Oh;.... back to work ! Sat. night is my Monday morning. Grateful to be here clear-headed, rather than nursing a wicked hangover.

RFR, .....glad you're taking it easy long enough for your body to heal. That's one of those times some rest days strung together really help a bunch.

Ghostly, ....those sauteed sweet taters with peppers and onion sound GREAT ! Have you heard how the Irish and Scots were some of the most sought after mercinaries in Europe during the Great Potatoe Famine. When I discovered how incredible potatoes tasted without a damn thing on em' ; ....been a fan ever since. Course , I love'm with just about everything (except any human "parts" ) lo Hope that thumbs healing quick, brother. You hear the name of that Knee repl. ad . ....write it down, and I'll look it up.

How's the weather up there, Murray !? You going to be able to run for several more months ; ...or all winter ?? Good job on finding new routes. Always heard "changing it up" ...no matter what workout, ..is a good thing !?!

LL,
Don't ya love that good ole' time feeling !??;

..."Did 40 mins of circuits at home today and am pleasantly wiped out.
Sweet dreams"

Evon, good job on the continued runs and walks ! Good stuff (for you and your friend)

Busy, crazy, schedule my last two "days off" ....now I really need a day off !!! lo

Y'all take care , keep on , keep on kickin'
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-31-2010), Really4Real (10-30-2010)
Old 10-30-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hi All!

Yep, I decided to take a few days off - try to kick the virus thing. If it's not gone my Monday, tough - I'm going back at it (it's supposed to only last a week to 10 days and I'm holding it to it)!
It was really nice out today though - did some work in our bathroom (finishing touches on a total remodel). Walked the dog, raked some leaves, and a few other things...

Murray, glad your finding that site helpful. I use that when I don't log onto my Nikeplus account (I have all my runs logged on that site). Don't go on it much anymore though since I have my own manual logbook now. Would like to get away from the iPod and go to a watch to track my runs. You sound like your gaining on me though - I better get over this crap so I can get back out there.

Ghostly, sooooo, when did you actually 'decide' to cut the tip of your finger off -- was this a premeditated slice -- you have to watch those taters - they're pretty tough. Maybe next time, you'll get the upper hand (haha).... no seriously, I know you're pain, I was washing dishes a couple months ago and broke a glass. It sliced my pinky knucke wide open - I could see the bone. Nothing a couple butterfly bandaids didn't help -- and a lot of pain for a couple days!

LL - when you say 40 minutes of circuits -- what do you mean my circuits? Sounds like it's good workout....

Evon - good shoes will really help - mine fit like a glove. Light, flexible... it's all in what you need and what is comfortable. Glad you two are in it together! That's cool!

Top - Hope your first day back to work goes well!

Nite everyone!
coffeenut (10-31-2010), Ghostly (10-30-2010), topspin (10-30-2010)
Old 10-31-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Top - I copied a link:

FDA Gives 510K Clearance for a 30-year Knee Replacement From Smith and Nephew - Wellsphere

I know SR doesn't like us postin some links, but I'm thinkin this one is ok. If you can't open it, or it disappears, let me know and I will send it to you. Not sure if this is the one I heard on the radio but I assume it is.

So just to clarify...you do or don 't like finger, thumbs and toes with your potatoes? Hope you get some days off soon.

Evon - Nice job! It's good you have someone to work out with too. Nice progress...keep it up.

R4R - That slice sounds horrible. To the bone...ouch! Hope you're feelin better. All that leave rakin and dog walkin is good exercise too.

Well...it's Halloween! I got a quick work out in...push ups, squats, ab exercises, some medicine ball stuff and stretching. I plan to eat H O R R I B L E tonight...so wanted to get somethin in. Just loaded up on protein and veggies. Figure...Hey...it's my first sober Halloween in years. I'm gounna have some pizza and sweets (Water and coconut milk to drink ).

Happy Halloween everyone!
coffeenut (10-31-2010), Really4Real (10-31-2010), topspin (10-31-2010)
Old 10-31-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Ghostly, I never said I didn't like a little 'protein' with my potatoes - nuff said

But as a turn-around is fair play... I slightly cut my finger tonight making the king of the house (our dog) have a better grip on a bone by trying to cut it a bit.

I feel much, much better today... was tempted to go out and run, but I'm going to make sure I'm completely over this stuff before I do that. May jump on the stationary bike in the morning.... and I do have a few dumbells that I really should start using...

Good night everyone....
coffeenut (10-31-2010), Ghostly (10-31-2010), topspin (11-01-2010)