Blogs

Kickin' Asphalt...The Fitness Daily!

Old 10-25-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hi All!

Ultra, didn't do all that much today. Was going to get on the TM, but I HATE those things... opted for the stationary recumbant bike. I don't know why if I run on a TM, I feel like it's useless because I'm not going anywhere, but I can pedal to my hearts content and not feel that way. Probably because I'm a runner at heart....

Once I get back in my own surroundings, I'll get back to running. I hope... still not feeling good today. Not sure if it's a virus or if I may be a bit hypoglycemic. Sugar doesn't seem to help much, so I'm thinking it's a virus... but I also want to work on my diet, just in case.

Have a great night everyone!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really4Real For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-25-2010), topspin (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

PS... thanks for the encouragement everyone
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Really4Real For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-25-2010), Ghostly (10-25-2010), topspin (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 06:18 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post

Top: My laziness is rubbing off on you...we need to turn this around!

Wiiiiiiiiiiiindy day tomorrow, so I will be hitting that TM.

Have a GREAT Monday, all!

Coffee, LO ........I DID actually consider that for a split second last night !?! Hahaha "Coffee's travelin' lazy karma's to blame" hahaha
"Maybe it's the moon", or "the beautiful weather." lo "ya know how perfect weather can make anyone lazy !?!"

Ultra,
The tennis was a good workout today. Nice and overcast.

Tried squash a few times 35 years ago. Kinda cool game really. Been hitting tennis balls for 40 years, (yiks, ) ........ always gives me that "old time feelin"

Hang in there, everyone

Keep on, keep on kickin'
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-25-2010), Ghostly (10-25-2010), Ultrarunner (10-26-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Ultra: I like how you think! And...I think you're right, too.

Really: How is the trip going? Those first few sober trips really can be tough.

Top: Too funny! I'm glad the laziness passed you! The moon has been a purty one, though.

7 miles for me....finally! The drought is Oooooooooooooover! :P
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (10-25-2010), topspin (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Hey Asphalt Kickers (tee hee) ~

Hope everyone is off to a great start on the week!

Topspin - Getting back to your knee - have you gotten the results of your MRI back yet? Am curious to know if you find the lack of stability in your knee a bother when playing tennis(?) In the short time that I was without my left ACL, my leg gave way from under me a few times and it was the strangest feeling. It sounds like you're in very active, so I hope that you don't need surgery, but if you decide to go ahead with it, you'll be all the better for it with all your activity!

Ghostly - Absolutely! I had to work up to that kind of mileage. I've been riding since high school and when I picked it up, I thought going 10 miles was insane! But racing in college I added a lot of steady increased mileage and have kept with riding, which makes it harder for the body to forget. Totally with you on the interval training - some good studies out there to support the advantages in results! Do you ride? Your circuit training sounds wonderful. I just started a home circuit routine that I found on a site called BodyRock.tv (yeah, kinda chessy) - the girl on the site has the most perfect physique and has some clever routines, so am seeing what the same workouts do for me (already seeing major improvements in my abs yay!)

Ultra - No ride today, b/c I'm spent from yesterday! Definitely tomorrow as it's supposed to be 75F here with low wind. Great work on the double workout! Do you have your sights set on any events come next season?

Coffeenut - I read another post of yours about overeating and was curious to know how sugar plays into it or if you've identified a particular trigger. Now that booze is off the table, I have sugar set in the crosshairs as next to eliminate for a month to do a hard reset! I don't have much sugar in my diet and I'm somewhat underweight, but I find that if I allow myself to give into a sugary craving even with something kinda "healthy" like dried cranberries, my mind goes nuts and I want to eat 5 servings! It's kinda like my ole days with the wine, where it's hard to stop at just one. I'm almost at day 40 and hope that those sugar cravings start subsiding soon. Awesome on your 7 miles!!

Really4Real - Sending wishes your way for a speedy recovery! Love your comment about not liking the TM b/c you're not going anywhere. Girl, I really hope you get that bike b/c you're gonna love it!

Be well!
LL

Last edited by LadyLuck; 10-25-2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: addition
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LadyLuck For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-26-2010), Ghostly (10-26-2010), topspin (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Work + overtime + dinner + long meeting = run tomorrow

Murray
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Murray4x5 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-26-2010), Ghostly (10-26-2010), topspin (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 10:26 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

LL, Did you road race on a college team ? ...or train with a local racing team ?

I DID get an MRI Fri. afternoon and they gave me 2 disc; ..one for me and one for my Dr., ....who I have an appt. with Tues afternoon. Excited about the prospect of some surgical improvement, if possible. (first time in my life to have health insurance through a job) ......so I'm really, really optimistic.
About the tennis, don't really have the wheels to cover much court anymore, but grew up playing competively until my injury (and surgery) at 15.......39 years ago now. Anyway, cycling seems to be the best strengthening work I've found over the years, and have loved working out on the road since getting sober 4-4-10. (except those two little crashes; ha !?! )
There's a lot of USTA league play here, so whenever I do play, It's normally just shuffling around with the old guys playing 3.5 doubles on clay. lo

About the sugar cravings, I don't know if I'll ever get past them. Giving up sucrose in everything 6 months ago, it seems like I can't get enough fruit. Lately, most nights I'll eat 4 big apples with raisins and mixed nuts. On a normal day I'll start with several oranges and a grapefruit,later; ..... a lb. of grapes, lb. of cantalope,later, before a workout; ... frozen bananas blended with water, and now the late-night apples !?!

I'm hoping it's all just a natural diet.

Ultra,
I'm going to remember that 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, "constructive rest" concept.

RfReal, Are you about to head back home ?

Stay Strong Y'all
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-26-2010), Ghostly (10-26-2010), LadyLuck (10-26-2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 03:59 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Good Morning All!

Thanks for the best wishes on my health. Super nauseated this morning... and I have to go train two guys on operating a yard truck safely - oh yea!

But, yeah Topspin, I'll be heading home late this afternoon. I'll be home tonight - safe and still sober! But it also means that I won't be running or anything today.....
About the fruit thing, though - That is a LOT of fruit! Is that even healthy?? Might want to check on that. I used to be a bit of a healthnut - getting back to it slowly now, but I think there's a balance there somewhere. But I'm not one to talk - I'm trying to get my own diet under control - which I TOTALLY blew last night. But I consoled myself in the fact that I did have some veggies with my junk food. But I seriously do need to eat more fruit! Glad about the good news on the MRI - I'll be optimistic with ya!

Hey LL - yeah, maybe one day I'll be a 'Wheel Spinner' (hehehe)... Seriously, that bodyrock place sounds pretty cool - I've been thinking about hooking our tv up and getting some workout DVD's just for a change of pace once in a while. And maybe my husband will finally do something!
I don't really have sugar cravings - mine is pasta and carbs.... good or bad!

Murray -- hope you have a chance to get out and run-walk...

Way to get back in there, Coffeenut -- with everyone starting to get 'coffeenut-itis', I thought I was going to be next (haha)!

Have a great day eveyone!
coffeenut (10-26-2010), LadyLuck (10-26-2010), topspin (10-26-2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Topspin - Keep us posted on your Dr.'s appointment today. Hope it goes well!

I raced in college and trained with local team rides at school and where my folks lived at the time to mix it up. The longest ride I've done is 85 miles, training for a century. The day of the event, it dumped rain so only ended up riding 75 miles. Really hope to do a century next season and somewhere mountainous back out west (I love hills!).

Really - I've been doing the BodyRock.tv (that's the web address) workouts by streaming the video on my laptop. No need to hook up to a TV or anything. All you need is a yoga mat, and that's optional, so it's essentially free! Again, hope you feel better soon!

Get out there today everyone and be well!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LadyLuck For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-26-2010), Really4Real (10-26-2010), topspin (10-26-2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Great thread, everyone! It is nice to be able to connect with people who are making health and fitness an integral part of sobriety.

I am personally on (yet another) day 2. Yesterday I did some gentle yoga, and today may graduate to slightly more active yoga. Trying not to overexert my body after my heavy binge on Saturday/Sunday. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll feel good enough to run and/or get into the weight room.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilac0721 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 08:10 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Lilac,

Welcome! I am super jealous that you live in CO!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadyLuck For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-26-2010), topspin (10-26-2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 04:16 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Ahhhhhhh, that's better

Still trying to keep my jog-walk at around 30 minutes every second day. Today I added on quite a bit, or so I thought, and got home in 20 minutes...guess I'm jogging a whole lot more than I thought

In a couple days I'll be sure to add even more. This feels great!

Murray
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Murray4x5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

RFR,
When you say "yard truck" ; ....is that a forklift ?
I like that phrase, "Safe and still sober" (sass) lo

Coffee, your last post probably helped me out of my drought. Taking care of 2 more dogs this week, so took all 4 out for a beach walk/jog after some high rep. light weights. They're a motley crew for sure. 1 8lb Chi., 1 brendle whippet, 1 short haired corghy, 1 bloodhound/ lab mix with a head as big as the Chi. ha

Murray, That's great news about your progress ! No telling how far you'll be moving in a couple months in 30 minutes.

Lilac,
Welcome, .....you hang in there, like your avatar says .... "ODAAT"
Those first few weeks that's about all I could think about. Sober just for today.
I keep hearing more and more good things about yoga.

LL,
I'm trying to stay positive after my appt. He gave me the option of a knee replacement or laproscopic repair to remove some loose cartlidge, repair some thingamajig (pocket) on the backside and do ACL replacement. I asked him about the ACL repair and he said I didn't have an ACL and it's been gone " a long time"
(on the way home I thought; .....that explains a lot "

Anyway, he says Dr.s try to discourage replacements for folks my age and activity level because they may need to be replaced in 12 years.That's the downside I guess.
I'm (almost) 54, and (his words) "the second surgery has inherent complications, and a third one ; even more, .....so it's possible I could "be in a wheelchair at 80" < gulp >

From what I heard, the upside to replacement is that it's stable and pain-free.
I called a friend ( O. R. Nurse ) and she explained briefly how ACL replacement works. The replacement is from a cadaver and fastened with a sheath and then screws. Supposedly a common method. Whew, .....this is why, the less I know, the better !!! Lo

The Dr. said to "think it over" ....call him and he'll answer any questions I have.

Anyway, I guess my expectations were a little high, in that I was hoping he'd say XYZ needs working on and I can help by doing this and this and here's improvement you may experience. I wasn't expecting to have "options" .

None of this would be possible without sobriety though. For this I'm grateful.

Y'all keep on kickin'
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-26-2010), LadyLuck (10-26-2010), Really4Real (10-26-2010), Ultrarunner (10-27-2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 06:14 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome lilac! I hope you can find something to help you stay sober. Whether exercise, inspiration from this Thread...both or whatever! The Yoga sounds good.

Lady - Nice ridin. The BodyRock sounds like a good work out too. I hope you decide to do that century in the hills.

Nice run coffee! Good for you!

Hope you're back and feelin better R4R.

Nice work outs Ultra. You are inspiring to get all those in.

Murray - Awesome job. Sounds like you've already seen some improvements.

Top - I think the only worry with excessive fruit is mainly weight gain, or lack of loss. With how much weight you've lost that doesn't seem to be a problem for you. So I say go for it.

I got my circuit in tonight. Sprints on the elliptical, push ups, squats and some ab stuff. Finished with some harder resistance.

Keep at it y'all!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-26-2010), LadyLuck (10-27-2010), topspin (10-26-2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 06:17 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Just saw your last Top. Well, think it over. Do some research. Your sobriety will help guide you. Hang in there bro!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-26-2010), topspin (10-26-2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
6/20/08

LL: Boy did you hit it. I am a sugar addict, no doubt about it. In fact, I hate raisins, but just found some that are coated in some kind of sour sugar crap, and I can't quit eating them. If I only ate healthy....I'd never have to run another step. Yes, I would, or I'd go nuts.

Murray: Sometimes life gets in the way....and that's okay. You got back with it, and that's what is important.

Top: No sucrose! Wow, I really admire that. I think giving up sugar would be harder for me than booze. And....the beach! You're killing me, here!

Also....I agree, without sobriety, you wouldn't have options and you probably wouldn't even be looking at a surgery. I know I wouldn't have surgery...because I'd have to sober up long enough for the anastesia (how the hell do you spell that?) to take affect.

Good luck with your decision. It will be the right one, you know.

Really: I wonder why the nausea? Hope your day went better.

Lilac: Welcome!

Ghostly: You always have such good work outs. I need to look into more resistance training.

8 miles with some intervals thrown in. Looking at a spring marathon, so I'd like to keep some good base miles from now until January.

Have an AWESOME Wednesday!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
LadyLuck (10-27-2010), Really4Real (10-26-2010), topspin (10-26-2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hey Lilac, there were a couple people in here that were wondering about hypoglycemia and I thought your post from the Oct 2010 would be great to share here.... If it's ok, can you copy it over. I wanted to ask first before I did anything..... but it was good stuff.

LL, I'll have to log on and see what they have on the site. Racing 100 miles... wow - THAT would be awesome! Is that what you're gearing up to do? Where at?

Murray, give yourself more credit than that! You ran-walked around thirty minutes. I guess I've just had several older and more seasoned runners tell me that if there is a time when both feet have left the premises and are dangling in the air if only for the briefest second, then you have successfully ran. Think like a runner - because that's what you are, my friend! That's what I am.... and I'm going to keep thinking that until I reach that 9mm mark. After that, I'll just shoot to be an even faster runner.

Coffee - met with my therapist today -- I don't think the nausea and lightheadedness is a virus, but something to do with anxiety (which woud stand to reason since we uncovered something pretty huge tonight that I need to think about dealing with) or I'm hypoglycemia. I'm going to try the diet tomorrow and the next few days to see if that helps. My head starts swimming and I get confused - then I am more apt to forget anything that I was doing (come the following day). Rather annoying - just started up Friday.

Top - doctors usually give worse case scenarios. Just because he said that something may happen in the future, doesn't mean it will. I Pray for discernment and wisdom that you'll know the right path to take and there won't be any room for doubt.

Good night everyone.... me sleepy-tired sitting around in the car all day driving.... OH yard trucks are semi-cabs that haul trailers at our facility only - they don't go over the road. But Yeah, I train all our facilities on lift trucks also -- amoung other things.

Now, I'm going to bed.... Nite all!
coffeenut (10-27-2010), LadyLuck (10-27-2010), topspin (10-26-2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Really: I applaud you for getting help to dig to the bottom and find out the cause of your anxiety. What an excellent step in staying sober.

I sure do hope you feel better, tomorrow. Please let us know how you're doing. Sleep well!
The Following User Says Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
topspin (10-26-2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Topspin - Well, on a positive note, you're taking many steps forward. Knee replacement is no joke, and I'm not a doc, but the laproscopy and ACL repair (though cadaver harvested) should be a lot easier to recover from than a knee replacement. That's effectively the surgery I had (though I had a hamstring graft from my own same leg) and quite common. A word of advice though? Don't go watching any ACL reconstruction videos on YouTube! I'm not faint of heart but whoa! Keep us posted and stay positive! You've got health insurance, options AND... sobriety!

Ghostly - What resistance settings and timing do you use for your elliptical intervals? I wanna compare notes! Thanks, have my sights set on the Lake Tahoe century in June, I think.

Coffeenut - WOW, way to go on 8 miles! Hee hee, I often think of my girlfriends who forgo food indulgences and just don't workout b/c they hate it and I'm grateful that I, like you, would go nuts without hard exercise which means... I get to have my cake (cycling) and eat it, too! But please, I beg you NOT to tell me the name of those sour raisins - I go crazy for sour patch kids and the like!!

Really - Sounds like you had an exhausting but very productive day. Hope you sleep well tonight - you earned it! The 100 miles is just a ride, not a race, I don't have that kind of fire under my, um, proverbial kettle anymore. Would love to find one in the mountains out west. Thinking the one in Tahoe in June, but love Colorado and would love to have an excuse to explore Montana / the Dakotas or Washington / Oregon. Am taking suggestions if you know of anything cool!

I ended up not heading out today which is a bummer. Ever feeling run down like a normal outdoor medium length / intensity workout would be enough to make you exhausted for a couple of days. Yeah. Going to ride on the trainer in the morning and follow it up with a 20 minute circuit and keep fingers crossed. Should have more energy to burn!

Good night everyone!
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyLuck For This Useful Post:
topspin (10-26-2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Top - Wanted to add...with the good shape you're in, it should make the prognosis for whatever you decide that much better. Your positive outlook will only help that much more too.

Lady - To answer your question, I gotta tell you, I have about a $300 Elliptical machine from Wal-Mart...so it's nothin fancy. Had to put it together myself too...before I quit drinking. That was a treat.

I used to do the 30 min pre-set run. Depending on what I'd choose, it would go from level 1 - level 9. Some of them were pretty hard. Sometimes I would do a manual 10 or 20 minute run. For that I'd alternate between 1 and 6. In each case I'd try to get the RPM's above 65.

My training has changed. I only use the machine now for sprints. So I'll do a minute on level 1 or 3, and try to keep the RPM's above 80, or sometimes 90. Then I immediately get off and do some sets of resistance exercises, and repeat for a total of 5.

So it might be hard to compare what I do...I am all about interval training. High intensity, low rest. Not sayin this is better than anything else...just what I am doin now. I haven't been runnin on it for anyhting longer than a minute at a time lately. I usually do a harder resistance work out separate from the circuits...either directly before or after.

Thanks for the compliment coffee, I envy what you can do!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (10-27-2010), LadyLuck (10-27-2010), topspin (10-27-2010)