Blogs

I want my lungs back!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want my lungs back!

Question for those of you who were heavy smokers during your drinking time: How long did it take for you to get your lung power back?

I've been clean for about 5 weeks now and alternating sprints with power walking and sometimes running straight through, but for the 1st half mile, my chest/lungs seize up and it feels like an elephant is sitting on my chest.

I work out every day but I don't run every day. I'm just doing mostly 7km/h walking to get my bodyfat down, my throwing in sprints to get my cardio recovery started.

My buddy told me that he read somewhere that it takes about 6 months to get your presmoking capacity built back up but knowing myself, I'm probably going to try to push it to get it done a little quicker than that.

Any suggestions? hints? stories/experiences you want to share?

Cheers
DW
Old 06-20-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wasn't a heavy smoker, but I did smoke for some time, and smoke some other stuff for a longer time (which I think is more harmful in the long run)...I digress.

Your lungs are resilient. You're doing ok

I don't have any tips, but I did want to say congrats! It sounds like you're doing some good things.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Today I heard about a herb called coltsfoot which is apparently supposed to help cleanse and improve your lung power - even if youre still smoking. I've just started using it tonight, i can keep you posted if you like - im still smoking cigarettes but cutting down with this herbal mix sold at this health store which includes the coltsfoot herb. Maybe you could ask your doctor about it?