Blogs

The Fitness Maintenance Club-Come and go as you please

Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I agree! Where did everyone go. Maybe they went on vacation w/Fub? At least I think he was going on vacation!

Springtime is the best time to recommit to healthy changes...it's nice outside (mostly!)...easy to sneak in a nice walk.

Will do a good run today. My downfall is still candy. I just can't quit eating it. I need to get a handle on it....quick!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey nice initiative..Fitness club is a good thing to go on with
ANd we under the recovery program need it more than any one else. i have checked that personally that fitness exercise keep your mind away from such bad activities. Once you start your day with jogging in a cool environment, you will never feel to end it with alcohol.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Resident

Hello all.
Just got back from my holidays so it is back to the gym tomorrow.
I definitely overate especially on the dessert front.
Weigh in tomorrow. I can hardly wait.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fubarcdn For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-06-2010)
Old 04-05-2010, 10:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Up from the ashes

When I was a kid, one of my first jobs was at a bicycle rental shop. I used to collect old bikes, and build these Frankenstein bikes in my garage.

Itís been at least 15 years since Iíve owned a bike.

A couple of weeks ago, I was looking through craigslist and I found a guy who was selling old bikes that he picked up on Ebay.

I bought two old road bikes for $140. They were pretty messed up, but thereís another craigslist guy who dismantles bikes and sells the parts. I managed to put both of these bikes back on the road.

I rode about 15 miles today. It was a little cloudy and cold, but it was fun to get out there and ride a bike again. It should be fun to get back into bicycling this summer.

I came home and ran 5 miles on the treadmill.

Iím flippin tired.

This really beats coming home and getting drunk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freepath For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-06-2010), Fubarcdn (04-06-2010)
Old 04-06-2010, 01:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm here! I just have been overwhelmed with work the last couple of days. I love your story about the bikes, Freepath, and welcome back, Fub. No need to be anxious about the scale; if you gained, it was for a good cause (happiness), and you'll lose it quickly, because you know what to do, so no big deal. What else did you do on vacation besides eat dessert? Ha! Ideally, you were at peace, totally relaxing, maybe even reading a good novel (reading is my other "escape," besides exercising).

Happy Tuesday, everyone!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to viavai For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-06-2010), Fubarcdn (04-06-2010)
Old 04-06-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Fub's back! How was the vacation? C'mon.....you've been doing so well, you'll know how to jump right back in without a blink.

Free: I bike, too. Just a cheapie Wall Mart one, but it's good cross training...when it's not snowing.

Glad you're here, Via!

Rest day, here. I'm still tired from yesterday. Roast in the crock pot, maybe some pasta go with it.

Stay healthy, all!
The Following User Says Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Fubarcdn (04-06-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Up from the ashes

My son asked for a road bike this winter, and I got him one. This is another reason why I wanted to get a bike for myself.

We went out riding today. It was a nice ride around a small lake in our area. When we were about 10 miles out, my rear derailer got caught in the spokes and snapped in half. . Apparently, it was not properly adjusted. Fortunately, when I put these bikes back on the road, I remembered my old days of biking, so I had a few tools, including a chain repair kit. The rear wheel was a quick release. I threw the broken derailer in a garbage can, wrapped the cable around the frame in the back, shortened the chain (which had been twisted) and converted my bike to a fixed gear. I rode it back that way without a problem.

So, long story short, biked 20 miles, came home and ran 5 miles in 43:16.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freepath For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-07-2010), Fubarcdn (04-07-2010), topspin (05-18-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 01:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Freepath, you should write this as a story for The Grapevine: the analogy is clear. Just a thought.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to viavai For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-07-2010), Freepath (04-10-2010), Fubarcdn (04-07-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 02:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I'm almost on day 60 and heading back to the gym tonight, for the first time since last October! I stopped going, especially at the weekends as I usually had a hangover from the night before..or I was having a drink on Wednesday evenings, etc., there was always an excuse.. I was still paying the monthly fee which was money down the drain.. I'm feeling very good about it and will try to go on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Mondays :-). I'm getting my mind and spirit back into shape but need to get the body back into shape now too! I know that when I'm at the gym it gives me a huge lift and motivation and I feel better about my body too - so it's a 'win-win' situation for me!

Hope you're all having a nice day

Almath
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Almath For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-07-2010), Fubarcdn (04-07-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome Almath.
That is my exact experience with the gym.
It forces good behavior in other areas of my life like drinking and eating.
Having said that I got back to the gym today after my holidays to weigh in and find I gained 8 pounds so I lost all the progress of the 12 week fitness challenge in one week.
I learned a valuable lesson though and that is nothing good can come from eating sticky buns.
The trip was great. We mostly soaked up the sun and ate though.
We did take a 30 minute walk to the Green Grotto caves and they are well worth visiting if you are going to Runaway Bay. It costs $20 per person but since we had our own guide it was worth it.
We were the only ones to leave the resort on foot without a guided tour. I like to live dangerously.
Chest day at the gym and it was hard to get back into the routine. I want to go away again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fubarcdn For This Useful Post:
Almath (04-08-2010), coffeenut (04-07-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
mergirl

HI!! I'm just glad you have a post where I can pop in =)

When I moved to paradise from the cave, I had only 2 complaints. I hated having to get used to new AM djs (they are ALL so annoying, but I was used to the a-holes in my old hood), and my new 24 hour fitness was on a main street with no parking lot. . .

Who wants to walk 10 miles a day for work, then walk another 4 blocks just to work out?!?!?

Anyway, a few months after I got here, my old am djs from my old location got syndicated or what ever and came here YAY!!
The next week, my ex-husband canceled our gym membership. . .which takes away my last thing to b!tch about here AND frees me from the guilt of skipping the gym hahahah

I am the exact same weight I was when I moved to paradise in august, I fluctuate 3 pounds down now and then but end up here.

I am still fat (160 at 5'1"), but I am 60+ pounds lighter today than I was 2 years ago, and that tickles me.

I am sober, and I have discovered spirituality, which totally rocks.

I am hoping to get back into swimming. There is an ocean here I like quite a lot, but its cold right now. I am hoping the powers that be will send me to a nice pool I can use soon

Sorry fub, I cut out of the last test of self discipline (cut out-flunk out, like high school all over again), so I missed the news, where did you go on vaca?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gypsy Feet For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-07-2010), Freepath (04-10-2010)
Old 04-07-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Gypsy: You need to pop in more often. I love your tales. And...so jealous....would Love to live anywhere near an ocean. Love it.

Math: Welcome! Please stick around and post often!

Free: I liked your bike story....and I think Via is right about it.

Fub: Don't leave us again, we fall apart! 8 pounds...get back with us. Better with company.

Very light cardio work out. I had a long one planned. But, I have a sinus infection that is kicking the crap out of me. I'm going to take a Tylenol cold tablet soon.....amazing how I never used to think about that, but now I ask myself, "are you taking this to get a buzz?".....nope, taking it to breathe.

Phew.
The Following User Says Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Freepath (04-10-2010)
Old 04-08-2010, 12:10 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Top of the mornin' to you Fubarcdn,

It's lovely to hear from you and your news about your trip which sounded amazing!
I'm sure you're going to shift the 8 pounds in no time - that's always the way when you get back from holidays but at least you enjoyed yourself and have some great times to look back on :-)!

I went to the gym last night and was practically 'singing' all the way home with delight!! I really enjoyed it - I'm doing a group fitness class so you have the support and dynamic of the whole group which I enjoy. It's so great to be back there!!

I've reached 60 days today and feeling so good about it :-) I'm glad to have found SR and people like you as it's giving me a huge amount of support - so thank you!!!

Big hugs to you and everyone out there!

Almath
The Following User Says Thank You to Almath For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-08-2010)
Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Congrats on 60 day, Math! That's awesome!

Still battling a sinus infection, here....hopefully will get out for some good cardio tomorrow. I love springtime!
Old 04-10-2010, 04:48 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Resident

My shoulder has been killing me so I only made it to the gym one day last week. Hope next week is better. Gotta try to get back into it and get back into shape.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fubarcdn For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-10-2010), Freepath (04-10-2010)
Old 04-10-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Alright.....am I the only puppy on this ship?! :P Hellllllllo out there!

Fub, maybe your body is telling you it needs a vacation from your vacation. You'll be back....stronger than ever.

Beautiful day here. I intend to clean the house as fast as I can so I can go outside and play. Will that count as cardio?!

Have a GREAT sober day!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Freepath (04-10-2010), Fubarcdn (04-10-2010)
Old 04-10-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Hello Puppies!!!!!!

Haven't been online much as the weather is getting nice. But will try and check in more!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViciousCycle For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-10-2010), Freepath (04-10-2010)
Old 04-10-2010, 11:00 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Up from the ashes

Hey everybody; welcome math.

I think a pair of my running shoes might be too small. Iíve had purple toenails in the past when I trained up, but this time I have three. It kept me awake earlier in the week. Itís not the pain that bugs me, that I can live with. Itís the insomnia.

I took Wednesday off. I ran half a mile on Thursday barefoot on the treadmill, and ran half a mile with my shoes on. On Friday, I ran 6 miles; I was tired and my time was slow.

Today I ran 15 miles and change. It feels good, Iím trained up and I donít think any injuries are lurking around the corner, so Iíll try to bump my weekly distance from 30 miles to 35 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Freepath For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-11-2010)
Old 04-11-2010, 04:07 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hey, puppies! I'm here, but have just been busy with school and trying to balance a busy social life this past week--saw friends from college, and then my sister-in-law came to visit. Had to beg out one night, and I am so glad, as apparently there was one random work colleague of my sister-in-law's who kept buying rounds for people who were done drinking for the night. (Problem much?) I stayed home and read my textbooks. Much better deal.

Food was semi-bad last night--ate too many chips at Tex Mex, even though I really didn't eat that much. It's just that it was "too" much for me. Had dee-lish chicken fajitas without the tortillas (so, basically, grilled chicken, peppers, and onion), and had leftovers. Out again to dinner tonight at The Chart House with work people; one good thing, there will be no drinking (because it's a work dinner), and I am looking forward to a petit filet mignon and, to be decadent, maybe some creamed spinach!!! Workout in order this a.m.

Happy Sunday!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to viavai For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-11-2010), Freepath (04-12-2010)
Old 04-11-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Yeah, another fitness thread where we can pop in. Yippee!

Well, it's been frustrating here in the PNW. We got a late season dump and it's been cold for weeks, so the mountains are all snowed under. I have snowshoes, but I'm starting to not like snowshoeing, it's too much work!

So, I'm waiting for spring to return so we can warm up the temperatures some. I'm also looking at getting a mountain bike for more lowland winter recreation. It's fun to ride up and down Forest Service roads.

I am getting very bored sitting in the house. Next weekend, I'm throwing off the shackles of couch potato-ness and I WILL find someplace to hike!
The Following User Says Thank You to WakeUp For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (04-11-2010)