Blogs

The Fitness Maintenance Club-Come and go as you please

Old 06-30-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

Here you go, top:

TENS machine: it's kind of like an electric acupuncture machine. You attach these electrode pads to the place that is in pain, and it gives you this massage using electrical stimulation. The theory is that it sends electrical pulses to the nerves, which supresses the pain signals. I was kind of doubtful of the theory behind it at first, but found in my PT that it actually worked for the type of pain I experience with my hip / piriformis muscle:
Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-01-2010, 10:23 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Far: That looks very interesting! In fact, I've spoken with a guy who uses something like that. I think he said he has to be careful not to overdo it....but I could be wrong on that.

Chops: Swimming is great cross training!

Top: I just may check that book out. I have a horrific sweet tooth. I know I need to eat healthier, I just always reach for the sugar.

2day: I take 1-2 days off a week. I'm a geezer, so I keep running to 4 days....cross the others. Also.....dancing is Great exercise!

I think it's going to be a walk day, today. The wind is blowing to beat hell, so I'd better hope it's at my back all of the way. :P

Have a GREAT Thursday!
The Following User Says Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
topspin (07-03-2010)
Old 07-01-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Guys! day off for me today and possibly tomorrow....depending on how much the world cups allures me in the evening. Hope everyones Thursday was action packed!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StewartUK For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (07-02-2010), topspin (07-03-2010)
Old 07-02-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Ok, so 2 days in a row of total body workout = very sore right shoulder (previously dislocated and often clicks out of place a bit with pushups).

So, I only did some yoga yesterday to celebrate Canada Day...not even an ab workout to save face! How sad

Today promises to be more active with some cardio + abs (I'm starting to see some results!!).

Sunday...I tango for 4 hours

Coffee...at least you can RUN! This young thang isn't allowed to run due to fallen arches and wobbly ankles (Can you say shin splints??!). Plus, I despise cardio with a passion and can only get through it by method of distraction, such as a dance or martial arts class.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodaybut2day For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

I am in a foreign country and working up the "cojones" to take a yoga class here.... 100% female from what I have seen so far which will be weird. If I post this out in the open then I will have to go out of ego...

so here it goes ;-)

arms today and back and shoulders yesterday, fighting a serious iced tea addiction with 90 -100 degree weather, drinking too many calories. Need to cut back.

Happy Fitness y'all
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chops For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 02:20 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chops View Post
I am in a foreign country and working up the "cojones" to take a yoga class here.... 100% female from what I have seen so far which will be weird. If I post this out in the open then I will have to go out of ego...
Well, if it helps....I've read that men who practice yoga have more stamina in.....well, the sack, so to speak - so if any of your friends wonder, you could blame it on an ulterior motive!! Seriously though, I know one guy who does it and says he loves it for the stretching, which helps his injured back.

I had an awesome little trip out of town to see my son (I miss that kid!!), but was too busy to fit in any workouts. Trying to get back on track today.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itisatruth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Stewart: Rest days are Good for you! Hope you enjoy your games!

2day: Don't overdo in your quest for better fitness....it'll send you to the couch!

Chops: Enquiring minds will want to know....did you go....and how did you like it?

Truth: Getting to see your son is the Best! Much more important than Any workout!

I got about an hour and fifteen minutes outside before I turned into a sweaty mess and called it good!

And the weekend is almost upon us (or, I guess it just may already be upon some of us!).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
itisatruth (07-02-2010), topspin (07-03-2010)
Old 07-03-2010, 08:20 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

My "work" week starts tonight; ....been really hopping (busy )tonight because of the holiday , I guess.
Had a breakthrough sort of 2 days on my "weekend" Thur and Fri. Weather cooled down to a breezy 88 and had my first 30 mi. ride Thur late afternoon and a 28 mi ride on a windy Fri. morning. Rest day today, ....well, helped my nephew move some heavy furniture to storage , ...but no workouts.

Will be 90 days clean and sober in about an hour, so I weighed today for the first time. Started at 238 and today I weighed 202. I'm (desperately ) hoping I've gained at least a little muscle mass in there somewhere ? Lo

Feel even more motivated on this journey ! Lately , feeling more of a personal serenity, .....and happiness.

Thank goodness for a fitness program. Integrating some intensity (and consistency) in these workouts is starting to work some.

You guys keep movin' .....and Stateside , ....have a fun and safe 4th.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (07-06-2010), itisatruth (07-06-2010)
Old 07-03-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nodaybut2day View Post
topspin/Chops...I can't swim more than, oh, 2 laps before collapsing by the side of the pool. No endurance! Do you find swimming helps with weight loss or more with cardiovascular endurance?

Today's workout: total body + yoga
For me its the cardio portion of my workout, also helps my bum knee feel better... also I think my swims burn like 400-500 calories
coffeenut (07-06-2010), topspin (07-04-2010)
Old 07-03-2010, 08:56 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post

Chops: Enquiring minds will want to know....did you go....and how did you like it?
Going today, I should maybe clarify, I did Yoga for a couple years but I am now in a country where what guys do and what women do is a bit in the past and more traditional. So it might look weird me headed into the yoga room... we will see :-) and I will report accordingly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chops For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (07-06-2010)
Old 07-04-2010, 09:04 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Cross training day today, did 10 yesterday. Marathon is 26th of September and 10's still my longest distance..eek!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StewartUK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Up from the ashes

Hey everybody!

Welcome, Ghostly, welcome noday, welcome Stewart, welcome chops!

Top,
My flipflop has been on the coaster side; Iíve tried the fixed gear and it seems fun, but I need to find place to practice without a lot of cars or other people; there have been a couple of people killed on their bikes around where I live and I want complete control of the thing at all times. I live near a bike trail and there are a lot of kids on the bike trail. They arenít always aware of what theyíre doing, so I think Iíll take the fixie out on the bike trail when itís not a weekend.

Nice gallery!

Stewart,
Everything depends on the nature of the injury. You might be better off taking an extended break from running; I once took 9 months off for plantar fasciitis. I donít know if that was the only way to handle it, but I havenít had a problem since.
Ice is an incredible anti inflammatory. I am not a huge fan of drugs like ibuprofen because they are hard on the kidneys. Try this: drink some warm fluid and wear a parka. Warm your body up. Fill your bathtub up with cold water so that when you get it, it covers your legs, groin and hips. Add 15-20 kilograms (40 pounds) of ice. Getting in the tub is going to be HARD! Try to distract yourself with a magazine or TV or music or whatever. Soak for 15 minutes. If it seems like you are sending your body into hypothermia, you will need to stop and warm your body up with a warm shower or bath. You will be absolutely amazed at the results. All of your tendons, muscles and ligaments will lose any inflammation that they have, and you will feel better for a week. In my experience, this works much better than drugs.

I ran 9 miles yesterday. It was my first run since last Saturday. I rode my bike a couple of times this week. Can someone explain how to post a picture inside a post? I guess Iíll need a URL from photobucket or something?

Happy 4th everyone!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freepath For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Thanks free path, ive been doing the cold baths but not added ice yet i'll need to stop and pick some up or after my next run. I really wanna do this marathon in September so im focussing on doing whatever i can to be fit for then and perhaps after that an extended break will be a good idea
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StewartUK For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (07-06-2010), Freepath (07-08-2010), topspin (07-04-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Hi all...

I actually got to workout this week-end...Friday: cardio, Saturday: total body + abs, Sunday: lower body + abs + tango for 2.5 hrs. Yay!!! Sunday was a gloriously sweaty day so I felt like a workout queen then!

Sadly, my neck is stuck from sleeping funny so I think I'll be skipping the ab workout tonight and just doing a bit of cardio.

topspin...WOW on the weight loss AND sobriety

chops...hmm 400-500 calory burn ain't half bad. Perhaps I should reconsider doing the doggy paddle a few times a week
The Following User Says Thank You to nodaybut2day For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (07-06-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

Stopping in to say hi to all my fitness friends! Haven't had time to ride the last week (which is tough) because of work + moving...but today we went up to our new place, and I looked around at local bike trails--can't wait to soon be riding my bike across a famous orange bridge!
Keep up the inspiring posts everyone and happy fitnessing!
The Following User Says Thank You to FarawayFromCars For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (07-06-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Mind if I join in here? I see physical fitness as a key to reducing stress which helps me stay sober.

I'm a 53 year old male and my sport of choice is tennis. I played on the team in high school and than quit for about 35 years until starting again last fall. Now I can't get enough of it. I run around with reckless abandon and hit the ball as hard as I can and still keep it in. I joined a men's travel tennis team and also do cardio-tennis once or twice a week to increase stamina. I've lost some weight and my blood pressure and cholestrol levels have really improved.

I'm thinking of starting some weight training to improve some muscle groups to help my game. I don't have any specific goals except to keep playing and keep trying to improve (and more importantly, stay sober).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zebra1275 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (07-06-2010), FarawayFromCars (07-08-2010), Freepath (07-08-2010), topspin (07-06-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 07:27 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Welcome Zebra1275,

Okay, Yoga was cool, I was very rusty but was able to keep pace. I am going to start going on a regular basis. I felt so much better afterwards. Will integrate it into my weights and swimming routine.

And yes, it was me and all women, but it was all good and I got permission from the boss (fiancee) before going.

Day off, headed to swim outdoors........
coffeenut (07-06-2010), FarawayFromCars (07-11-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Okay, last drink was Friday night and now I'm feeling ready to walk on my treadmill. It just goes hand in hand with this healthy new lifestyle I'm embarking on. Wooo hooo! I know from the past, my treadmill routine just carries over into every aspect of my life and gives me energy and a not so big arse. lol

Jojo
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jojo1965 For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (07-06-2010), FarawayFromCars (07-11-2010), topspin (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

the HEAT and humidity are kicking my butt and I haven'T been able to workout for a day. Hoping tonight is cooler so I can do cardio + abs again (love that combo!). I'm actually seeing results already and my lower back is less sore too!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nodaybut2day For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (07-06-2010), FarawayFromCars (07-11-2010), topspin (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome Zebra and Jojo!

I'm taking a rest day, here. Tomorrow is a loooooooong run....so I'll need every bit of energy I can muster.

I'm really trying to incorporate some strength training....not doing too well in that aspect.

Love to read how everyone is keepin' on!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
FarawayFromCars (07-11-2010), Freepath (07-08-2010), topspin (07-06-2010)