Blogs

The Fitness Maintenance Club-Come and go as you please

Old 06-25-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  
Climbing hills, flying down...

p.s. I've heard good things about the steel frame Surly road bikes. Just FYI.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FarawayFromCars For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (06-26-2010), itisatruth (06-27-2010), topspin (06-26-2010)
Old 06-26-2010, 03:38 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

4 miles today at a verrrrrrrrry slow pace. Groin seems OK but was giving me signal of "if you run for any longer im gonna get angry"

Humid day today, not great running conditions!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StewartUK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2010, 09:39 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Day off :-)

Even ate icecream (twice) it feels good! Back to work tomorrow.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chops For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Free: Sweet 8!

Far: Make sure and take a little 'you' time. A walk/run/bike....will make that icky school work feel Much Better.

Top: Can't help with any bike advice...but I do hope you find what you're looking for!

Stewart: Better to keep it slow than to have to rest it longer. Good Job.

Chops: Day off here, too. Feels Great!

Have a Great Weekend, all!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
itisatruth (06-27-2010), topspin (06-26-2010)
Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

I finally made time for some "me" time and went for a ride today...all the stress just melted away. Thank you bike and beautiful weather. Top, will post pics of bike once I'm moved and settled (everything's packed up right now).

Chop--yes, a day off now and again is great!

Happy fitness everyone!
coffeenut (06-27-2010), itisatruth (06-27-2010), topspin (06-27-2010)
Old 06-27-2010, 05:57 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

To hot to run outside today so I done 8 m on the treadmil the longest ive ever spent on one of those things. Thank god for headphones!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StewartUK For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (06-27-2010), FarawayFromCars (06-28-2010), itisatruth (06-27-2010), topspin (06-27-2010)
Old 06-27-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Days off....we need them too - especially with injuries.

I took yesterday off mostly just because. Not sure about today yet - I'm feeling really worn out. I'm getting nervous about the (sprint) tri. It's less than a month away!! Friends/family are telling me not to worry because I've been prepping for it for so long - and I know I have....I just....I don't know....I haven't reached my goal weight and being out there in the sun on a summer day in front of a lot of people.......

I need to focus on the fact that it's my first one AND that my goal is to finish - but then I worry I'll be the last one!! OR not finish! Ayyyy!!

OK, OK, focus, focus. I can do this.

I'm going to work really hard to stay on my schedule from here on out: alternating runs/rides with swims. Saturdays will be my all-three day at the gym.

Wishing everyone a great week. I sooooo appreciate you all being here and posting your progress - it's very motivating!! I'll be back later in the week - leaving tomorrow for a mini-vacation....yay!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itisatruth For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (06-27-2010), FarawayFromCars (06-28-2010), topspin (06-27-2010)
Old 06-27-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Faraway: Isn't it great to just release all that stress? I don't think a lot of people understand the power of just that.

Stewart: Awesome! I did 19 on one once...because it was too cold. I do believe I lost half my brain on that one!

Truth: Your first one is Gold! Just go and enjoy the atmosphere. I'm finding as I age....I'm starting to do that more and more...either that or I'm getting lazy.

Rest day here. 13 miles for me tomorrow. It's gonna get hot quick, so I'd better get out the door quicker.

Have a Great Week!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
FarawayFromCars (06-28-2010), itisatruth (06-27-2010), topspin (06-28-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

I'm starting a six week hectic schedule today (teaching summer school + working at new job), but I'm going to find a way to fit in a ride a couple of times this week. I can't let that go--it's too important!

Its...good luck with the run--you'll do great!

p.s. those of you with injuries--I bought a TENS machine on amazon (I used one in physical therapy for my hip bursitis injury), and it works wonders to melt away pain related to the injury. I like it because it gets rid of the pain and then I don't have to take tylenol or advil.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FarawayFromCars For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (06-29-2010), itisatruth (07-01-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Good job on the 13 ; Coffee !! What kind of race do you have coming up ?

Truth , I agree with Coffee on " Just go and enjoy the atmosphere " When I used to train for Tri's ; like 20 years ago, the transition from the bike to the run was always almost surreal. Growing up on the coast, we always spent hours in the river, so swimming the swimming segment came naturally. I would usually train for the ride and run more often because the run was always the toughest for me; ... Good luck next month ! It'll be a great experience !

Far, the " stress just melting away " is about the best thing about working out ; for me.

Went out at 3am Sun (right after work) and rode 16 with about 40 minutes of swimming after wards. Full moon and all. Slept like a baby once I got home . Got an hour and a half of High rep , Lt weight work in before work Sun evening . Really slept like a baby this morning !

Y'all stay strong

Grateful in the Lowcountry (or, ......Slowcountry, ...in the summers LOL )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (06-29-2010), itisatruth (07-01-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey all! Would love to start getting in on this thread. I work out more then I have in years. I do my workouts at home. Hate weights (no offense – they’re great, I just lifted for so many years don’t wanna touch em again for now), so I do body weight exercises for resistance and elliptical machine for cardio. I really believe in functional resistance. One of my goals is to get my pull up reps substantially increased. The ultimate goal is to lose fat!

Physical fitness has been such an important part of my life for so long. Since I started playing hockey at age 4. When I was drinking I let it slip so much. For the last couple years I would frequently work out once every few weeks.

Since bein sober I have kicked it up a lot. About 6 days a week. Wanna try new things outside. May get a mountain bike. Have fixed up my old road bike I used to use for my rides…It’s old but hope it will do - Trek Frame with Shimano and Campagnolo components. May stick with this one or look into a mountain bike (Mountain Bike was a swear word when I used to ride ). Other stuff I wanna try too.

So…anyway. I appreciate your posts as they get me pumped! Hope ya don’t mind if ya see me around this thread!

The best I feel right now, and in Recovery, is when I am pumped after a good workout. When I hit it hard and pushed myself. When I come out of it sweaty with my muscles pumped. That is where my hopes and dreams come from. There is nothing like it.

Ghost
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (06-29-2010), FarawayFromCars (06-29-2010), itisatruth (07-01-2010), topspin (06-29-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 11:43 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Up from the ashes

So, the marathon was 3 weeks ago yesterday. The first week after, I didn’t do much. Now I have brought my weekly running mileage back up to around 15-20. It’s honestly a bit of a relief to stop the 40 miles a week I was up to just a few weeks before.

It felt really good being back in that kind of shape, though.

Yesterday I finished building a flip flop fixed gear/one speed. I went for a bike ride with my son out by the river. 25 miles. That felt pretty good, too. The bike fitness kind of drives me crazy because many of my bikes are in need of repair.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freepath For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (06-29-2010), FarawayFromCars (06-29-2010), topspin (06-29-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 11:53 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Ghostly, welcome! This is a very inspiring thread to be involved in.

Free--congrats! I am so glad you are feeling the positive benefits of exercise.

And yes, NEVER underestimate the positive benefits! I just got back from a great ride, and I feel calm and refreshed.
coffeenut (06-29-2010), Freepath (07-03-2010), topspin (06-29-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Can I join this thread even though I only get about 10 minutes of exercise per day? Having a toddler makes it...er...challenging
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nodaybut2day For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (06-29-2010), itisatruth (07-01-2010), topspin (06-29-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

6 slow slow miles tonight but glad to get em in! Groin seems ok so far (Y)!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to StewartUK For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (06-29-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Far: What is a TEN machine? And, good job getting that ride in.

Top: I'm thinking a marathon in the fall. It's not the distance that bothers me (I've done further)....I'm just so slow, I'd like to speed it up. And.....Good job on getting a work out right after work. It really does make you sleep better....and at 3 a.m....it's cool, right?!

Ghostly: Welcome to the thread! It's good to have a lot of posters, so we have lots of good ideas to maintain/increase our health. In early sobriety, working out saved my butt because it helped me sleep.

Free: It's always hard to come back from a marathon. I always swear I"m done....then the next thing I know....I sign up for another one....so, be careful!

2day: Welcome! Working out with a toddler IS challenging! Lifting them is a work out by itself!

Stewart: Slow is good....especially since you're supposed to be taking it easy.

Intervals for me tomorrow. Think it's gonna happen on the TM. Ick..but it's going to be windy here....ick again!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Freepath (07-03-2010), topspin (06-30-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

TENS machine: it's kind of like an electric acupuncture machine. You attach these electrode pads to the place that is in pain, and it gives you this massage using electrical stimulation. The theory is that it sends electrical pulses to the nerves, which supresses the pain signals. I was kind of doubtful of the theory behind it at first, but found in my PT that it actually worked for the type of pain I experience with my hip:

Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FarawayFromCars For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (07-01-2010), topspin (06-30-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 09:20 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nodaybut2day View Post
Can I join this thread even though I only get about 10 minutes of exercise per day? Having a toddler makes it...er...challenging

toddler is exercise :-) and welcome!

Swam today.... no weights, resting the joints
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chops For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2010, 09:46 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Wondered the same thing Far, What is a TEN machine ?

Ghostly, as the old guy here, ....any pull up reps sound pretty daunting lo
Is that old Trk frame steel ? Those frames are more rare than you might think, ...and from everything I read, ....still great frames.

I'm having success with the weight loss thing, ...mostly because of overhauling my diet when I stopped swilling a handle bottle every 3 days. Read "sugar blues" and haven't eaten any more of that "stuff" since. He chronicles the "adulteration "of beer & spirits coming into use back in the 1600's (speeding up the fermentation with the use of sugar ,) Yiks ....along with his personal sugar addiction. Great read; esp. for us in recovery interested in fitness.

Free, is your flipflop hub set up now on the coaster side; or fixed ?

My bucket list is pretty short, but a fixie is definitely on it ! Have you ever gone to the 'fixed gear gallery" ...like , more fixies from all over the world than any sane person could ever look at in a year (or 5) When I first saw "fixie" ....I thought it was referencing a "repaired bike'

Welcome 2day, 10 minutes ? .....I'll bet you're movin' longer than that ; and pretty good too !

Stuart, glad you're coming off the DL.

Alright Chops ! I'm just starting to swim laps myself the last two nights

Coffee, sobriety is just the best, huh?
Yet,...another topic of discussion rarely heard at the bar at 2am.
...............Executing plans to speed up a 26 mi. run ?

I'm off for my laps pretty soon;... after work.

Y'all keep movin' gang,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topspin For This Useful Post:
coffeenut (07-01-2010), Freepath (07-03-2010)
Old 06-30-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome

My exercise regiment is...a cheesy informercial bought exercise program: 10 minute trainer! Hehe I know, it's lame, but it's all I can handle right now. I just do the 10 minute workout everyday, and if I can, I add another 10 minute workout. Usually the first one is cardio or a total body kind of thing (more like lots of upper body work with elastic bands)...the second portion is usually abs or yoga and sometimes lower body.

Right now, my DD is almost 2 years old, so I can *kinda* convince her to grab another exercise band and try to immitate me. It works for about 5 or 6 minutes, which almost gets me through my workout. Then she climbs the exercise bike or the computer chair to go bang on something with something, which generally gets me all the way through.

Aside from that...I dance Argentine tango 3-4 hours a week, but that's not always high impact cardio...Sometimes it`s more about technique and sometimes it's just plain sweaty partner dancing, especially in the summer!

My goal: to lose a little body fat around the midsection left over from having a baby...don't want to lose any pounds (118 right now). I'd rather build up some nice muscle instead.

Coffeenut...you train daily?

topspin/Chops...I can't swim more than, oh, 2 laps before collapsing by the side of the pool. No endurance! Do you find swimming helps with weight loss or more with cardiovascular endurance?

Today's workout: total body + yoga
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodaybut2day For This Useful Post: