Blogs

hemp in health products

Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hemp in health products

Someone gave me a sample of hemp protein powder, which I believe comes from the hemp seed. I took two sips of my shake and tossed it. I hated it (gritty and yucky color), then I reacted to it (i am allergic to most seeds, forgot about that!) and then it occurred to me: do substance recovery folks use any hemp derived products? I've been told that the bad chemical is processed out of hemp products, but I've been very careful not to use anything derived from hemp (not even clothing!) because of the chance that it might show in a drug test. After all, don't poppy seeds show up in drug tests as opium? I've never used drugs and would be devastated to fail a drug test from using a hemp derived product as beauty/health aid!

I guess it's the same thought process i've seen in recovering AA's. I do CoDA and so I do use wine in cooking; when I've mentioned this to recovering alcoholics, stating that the alcohol cooks out, some are very emphatic that I not use it, which I respect. I'm even finding that some recovering AA's won't drink non-alc beer as apparently it has an infinitesimal amount of alcohol. I guess the same applies to my stand with all hemp seed products.

Rambling a bit, not sure where this is going, I guess just looking for some dialogue on the subject, and your thoughts and comments that this may bring up.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

The active ingredient in pot is THC and this is what they test for. It is not present in hemp products. It is a different hybrid of the plant.
They market the hemp products, such as clothing so people will relate it to the drug and feel cool wearing it. The power of marketing.
I have never heard of hemp based protein powder but it sounds pretty unappealing. I will stick to whey based protein powder. I rarely fall for marketing gimicks, which in my opinion this is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fubarcdn For This Useful Post:
zurie (01-22-2014)
Old 07-09-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mergirl

If it would make you fail a drug test, all of the pot heads I know would have a can in their car to show their boss when they failed=)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsy Feet For This Useful Post:
CAPTAINZING2000 (02-13-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

From wiki: " There is no THC within the hempseed, although trace amounts of THC may be found in hempseed oil when plant matter adheres to the seed surface during manufacturing. The modern production of hempseed oil, particularly in Canada, has successfully lowered THC values since 1998.[7] Regular accredited sampling of THC in Canadian hemp seed oil shows THC levels usually below detection limit of 4ppm (parts per million, or 4 mg/kg). Legal limit for THC content in foodstuffs in Canada is 10ppm. Some European countries have limits of 5ppm or none-detected, some EU countries do not have such limits at all."
Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I see hemp milk substitute in the stores, that might be a protein thing. I dont know man, its like drinking a beverage that does not have any alcohol in it but tastes like beer or vodka or whatever. Its just messing with your brain.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A lot of people will try to avoid virgin cocktails or other things like non-alcoholic beer because it triggers the craving for the "real thing." It's safer to just stay away.

But I suppose there are people who can have these things without getting that trigger.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would rather not gamble with my sobriety.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I use hemp protein(in smoothies bc alone it is not pleasant) and I put hemp seeds on salads, wraps, etc. They are yummy and very good for you. There is absolutely no way hemp products will get you high or cause you to fail a drug test.

As far as non alcoholic beer goes, I myself won't go there bc if I'm going to drink beer I want the real deal and it would only cause a struggle for me. So there's my 2 cents.